• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 14 - 20 August

ioi

Banned
Top franchises have to be:

Pokemon
Mario
Dragon Quest
Brain Training
Animal Crossing
Final Fantasy

I'd imagine right now.

If you released a brand new latest version of each series on the same console at the same time, that's probably how you'd have to expect sales to go.

jarrod

Banned
ioi said:
NES Figures are accurate, the sales are:

NES Super Mario Bros- 6.81m
GB Super Mario Land- 4.19m
NES Super Mario Bros 3- 3.84m
SNES Super Mario World- 3.55m
DS New Super Mario Bros- 3.00m
GB Super Mario Land 2- 2.70m
NES Super Mario Bros 2- 2.65m
SNES Super Mario Allstars- 2.12m
N64 Super Mario 64- 1.92m
SNES Yoshi's Island- 1.77m
GB Super Mario Land 3- 1.59m
GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros- 1.33m
DS Super Mario 64 DS- 0.99m
GBA Super Mario Advance 2- 0.92m
GBA Super Mario Advance- 0.90m
GC Super Mario Sunshine- 0.87m
GBA Super Mario Advance 4- 0.79m
GBA Super Mario Advance 3- 0.57m
GB Super Mario Bros DX- 0.20m

Already the 5th most popular Mario game ever in Japan!
You're missing Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros 2 (GBA) and Super Mario USA (FC). Also, do we have figures for the FC and FDS versions of Super Mario Bros. seperated (it's actually 6.81m combined, right)?

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:
You're missing Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros 2 (GBA) and Super Mario USA (FC). Also, do we have figures for the FC and FDS versions of Super Mario Bros. seperated (it's actually 6.81m combined, right)?

Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros 2- 0.42m
Super Mario Bros USA didn't sell anything in Japan

Super Mario Bros- I believe (although I'm not sure) is 6.18m FC, 0.63m FDS.

donny2112

AniHawk said:
I think SNES Mario should increase its sales by around 5-8% just to spite NDS Mario.

:lol

It's probably shipment data from Nintendo, so it can't go higher. That's still funny, though. :D

jarrod

Banned
ioi said:
Super Mario Bros USA didn't sell anything in Japan
Anything? C'mon, it must've moved at least like 50k or something?

Also, how well did Doki Doki Panic sell of FDS? Anmd also again (sorry I'm moving so OT) but do you happen to know how much of Zelda 1's sales are attributable to the 1994 Famicom rerelease?

Link1110

DefectiveReject said:
i think its that Girls wardrobe game, where they can dress dolls and swap clothes and stuff?
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Well, it's called "Well-Dressed Witches Love and Berry," so it wouldn't surprise me.

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:

Also, how well did Doki Doki Panic sell of FDS? Anmd also again (sorry I'm moving so OT) but do you happen to know how much of Zelda 1's sales are attributable to the 1994 Famicom rerelease?

Pass on all three I'm afraid. I haven't seen data for any of them unfortunately.

Would definitely be something I'd like to see myself though. SMB USA couldn't have sold a lot, and neither would Zelda 1 re-release I'd imagine (not enough to make the top 100 chart of 94 put it that way).

I'll see what more I can find out...

ioi

Banned
Earthstrike said:
If this is the kth week of sales for NSMB, then does NSMB hold the record for most units sold in its kth week?

No, second to Dragon Quest Monsters for week 13.

snatches

If Nintendo can ship upwards of 30 million DS', and, they do a solid players choice budget line at some point, NSMB could become the greatest selling mario game ever.

Last Hope

I have to ask the question, why is hardware sales never posted in these threads?

Is it only reported monthly rather than weekly?

I always come to these threads in hopes of seeing hardware sales. I don't have any handhelds or a PS2 so I don't find Japanese software sales interesting at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GDJustin said:
Not EVERYTHING is "viral" marketing, you know. Sometime it's just... marketing.

And? Utada's tetris stuff is viral marketing. She talks about how SHE enjoys the game, she plays it, she refers it to you. This is viral marketing. It's marketing set up to look live and not coerced.

The only borderline is with pre-recorded celebrity endorsements. These are a middle ground between normal marketing and viral marketing.

Last Hope said:
I have to ask the question, why is hardware sales never posted in these threads?

Is it only reported monthly rather than weekly?

I always come to these threads in hopes of seeing hardware sales. I don't have any handhelds or a PS2 so I don't find Japanese software sales interesting at all.

Hardware are always posted in the weekly threads (i.e. like this), but they come out one day after the software data (we'll know them in about ~9 hours afair).

Jiggy

DefectiveReject said:
i think its that Girls wardrobe game, where they can dress dolls and swap clothes and stuff?
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Man, I hope that comes here. :eek:

Not lying, either. I love those "doll creator" Japanese websites when I'm trying to create characters (I'm a writer) and imagine what they'd wear and what that would say about them, but it'd be nice to have an offline version.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Jiggy37 said:
Man, I hope that comes here. :eek:

Not lying, either. I love those "doll creator" Japanese websites when I'm trying to create characters (I'm a writer) and imagine what they'd wear and what that would say about them, but it'd be nice to have an offline version.
Don't worry, not only you can buy the actual cloths you can also buy cards and scan 'em to your DS for a small fee! not only that you can get stickers! pink stickers!
This is worse then viva pinata

It boggles my mind that in a little over 3 months, MARIO, the franchise everyone was proclaiming everyone was getting tired of and will never sell well again/will bomb in Japan and everywhere else/won't break 1.5 million...

MARIO, the Phoenix Down of gaming, has once again climbed back to the top of the world and has hit just about 3 million sells in 13 weeks. I myself thought that it would only reach about 1.5 million and be through, getting de-throned by Braint Training and Animal Crossing... but he like many other DS games before has shattered just about all sales expectations...

The game is the EPITOME of handheld 2d gaming goodness. You pick it up, it's nice on the eyes, nice on the ears, easy to play, and portable You just put it on sleep mode wheenever you want, and just pick it back up when you feel like a refreshing run and jump gameplay experience. There's no over-violence, no questionable material, no crazy, out-of-place gameplay, just genuine fun, easy to pick up and play gaming. That is Mario

That is why he's selling like he deserves. It almost brings a tear to my eye. Mario is back baby.

And once again beautiful sales for Animal Crossing and I'm surprised Tetris is back on there, nice to see it too. And WHERE THE HECK DID MARIO KART DS COME FROM? Guess people needed more snakers to challenge...

If you told me a month before NSMB was releasing that it would reach 3 million in Japan alone and sell like hotcakes in every region, I would have laughed at your face and said you knew nothing about sales trends. But in DS's case... no-one knows nothing about sales trends @_@

And it REALLY is going to happen isn't it? Mario is going to hit 4 million in Japan alone...

The only title I expected to ever do that again was Pokemon, and that's the two games combined....

Never Mario.

ioi said:
Top franchises have to be:

Pokemon
Mario
Dragon Quest
Brain Training
Animal Crossing
Final Fantasy
what do all these games have in common?

if Wii manages to literally lock up japan, Yamauchi will rise from the dead and demote Iwata.

LanceStern said:
It boggles my mind that in a little over 3 months, MARIO, the franchise everyone was proclaiming everyone was getting tired of and will never sell well again/will bomb in Japan and everywhere else/won't break 1.5 million...

MARIO, the Phoenix Down of gaming, has once again climbed back to the top of the world and has hit just about 3 million sells in 13 weeks. I myself thought that it would only reach about 1.5 million and be through, getting de-throned by Braint Training and Animal Crossing... but he like many other DS games before has shattered just about all sales expectations...

The game is the EPITOME of handheld 2d gaming goodness. You pick it up, it's nice on the eyes, nice on the ears, easy to play, and portable You just put it on sleep mode wheenever you want, and just pick it back up when you feel like a refreshing run and jump gameplay experience. There's no over-violence, no questionable material, no crazy, out-of-place gameplay, just genuine fun, easy to pick up and play gaming. That is Mario

That is why he's selling like he deserves. It almost brings a tear to my eye. Mario is back baby.

And once again beautiful sales for Animal Crossing and I'm surprised Tetris is back on there, nice to see it too. And WHERE THE HECK DID MARIO KART DS COME FROM? Guess people needed more snakers to challenge...

If you told me a month before NSMB was releasing that it would reach 3 million in Japan alone and sell like hotcakes in every region, I would have laughed at your face and said you knew nothing about sales trends. But in DS's case... no-one knows nothing about sales trends @_@

Didn't you hear, Lance? Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. are all non-games.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
imastalker co. said:
what do all these games have in common?

if Wii manages to literally lock up japan, Yamauchi will rise from the dead and demote Iwata.
Oh please no.. Iwata is the best thing that happened to Nintendo in years

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Stumpokapow said:
And? Utada's tetris stuff is viral marketing. She talks about how SHE enjoys the game, she plays it, she refers it to you. This is viral marketing. It's marketing set up to look live and not coerced.

The only borderline is with pre-recorded celebrity endorsements. These are a middle ground between normal marketing and viral marketing.

That isn't what viral marketing is! VIRAL marketing is creating a marketing message that the enthusiasts and fans THEMSELVES carry and spread. Hence it being... wait for it... viral. OurColony.net from MS is a good recent example. http://www.slimeknights.com/ for DQ VIII is another perfect example.

Hiring a group of message board posters to talk up your game falls into this category, because the assumption is that the message won't just stop there... other (unpaid) forum members will presumably pick up those "sweet new screenshots" or whatever is it and spread it on their own.

People toss around buzzwords like "viral marketing" without even thinking about what they mean. Sometimes non-viral campaigns can BECOME viral, if they're especially entertaining or funny. Think about any sweet TV commercial you've seen that later ended up on YouTube, and people are linking their friends to it not because they give a shit about the toothpaste being sold, but because it's hilarious. The ad is now viral. Before, it wasn't.

Sega's My Big Ball ads for Monkey Ball were created to be viral - www.mybigball.com/.

I wrote a LOT about this subject when I was at GDBIZ. The gist of it is that gamers are an incredibly savvy and jaded bunch - a hard group of people to market to. You can't "fool" them - they know when they're being marketed to. So the solution is to produce things that are BLATENTLY marketing (our colony, slimeknights, my big ball), but provide their audience with GENUINE value (early info, free shit, laughs), so that they're still willing to link up their friends.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GDJustin said:
That isn't what viral marketing is! VIRAL marketing is creating a marketing message that the enthusiasts and fans THEMSELVES carry and spread. Hence it being... wait for it... viral. OurColony.net from MS is a good recent example. http://www.slimeknights.com/ for DQ VIII is another perfect example.

Hiring a group of message board posters to talk up your game falls into this category, because the assumption is that the message won't just stop there... other (unpaid) forum members will presumably pick up those "sweet new screenshots" or whatever is it and spread it on their own.

People toss around buzzwords like "viral marketing" without even thinking about what they mean. Sometimes non-viral campaigns can BECOME viral, if they're especially entertaining or funny. Think about any sweet TV commercial you've seen that later ended up on YouTube, and people are linking their friends to it not because they give a shit about the toothpaste being sold, but because it's hilarious. The ad is now viral. Before, it wasn't.

Sega's My Big Ball ads for Monkey Ball were created to be viral - www.mybigball.com/.

I wrote a LOT about this subject when I was at GDBIZ. The gist of it is that gamers are an incredibly savvy and jaded bunch - a hard group of people to market to. You can't "fool" them - they know when they're being marketed to. So the solution is to produce things that are BLATENTLY marketing (our colony, slimeknights, my big ball), but provide their audience with GENUINE value (early info, free shit, laughs), so that they're still willing to link up their friends.

Good post. One should also note the difference between buzz marketing and viral marketing, which often gets blurred around here.

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:

Right, just looked it up and have found some interesting sales.

Super Mario USA sold 0.70m in Japan

Along with a load of other nice data, most of which i have already included on VG Charts (SM USA slipped through the net)

http://homepage2.nifty.com/kamitoba/report/company2/ncllist.html

Have also found 3-4 places which say SMB on FDS sold 630k.

Also, I am soon going to have charts from 1990 +

Mar%2022nd%201991%2001.JPG

Joe Molotov

A Link to the Past said:
Didn't you hear, Lance? Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. are all non-games.

Is it too early to declare Final Fantasy III a non-game, or do we have to at least wait until the first week sales figures come in?

ioi said:
Also, I am soon going to have charts from 1990 +

Mar%2022nd%201991%2001.JPG

So ioi, do you have pre-Sept/95 TOP30 scans of 1995 charts?
If so i'll send over teh TOP40data and begin copying/translating your '95 charts.

A Link to the Past said:

Not to mention franchises that have had a history of selling great in Japan compared to real games.

You know like how Star Fox, MegaMan, Gundam, Digimon Story (tho very impressed by it), Children of Mana, Magical Vacation 2 etc. couldn't break 300,000 rite? Or how PSP's SD Gundam, a franchise that doesn't usually sell a lot, outsold all of those games (except Children of Mana) even though it has less than fanbase.

I came in, waiting to see if the DS wank-a-thon in Japan had finished now...sadly it hasn´t. What a pity, the home console market there is going to be decimated by portables.

Joe Molotov

Logan Cano said:
I came in, waiting to see if the DS wank-a-thon in Japan had finished now...sadly it hasn´t. What a pity, the home console market there is going to be decimated the DS.

Fixed. No need to use a plural there.

Wasn't hardware supposed to be in today already. Also how many units must NSMB sell next week in order to be the biggest seller in its 14th week.

Jiggy

Logan Cano said:
I came in, waiting to see if the DS wank-a-thon in Japan had finished now...sadly it hasn´t. What a pity, the home console market there is going to be decimated by portables.
I can only hope so. I want as many steps as possible as soon as possible toward the convergence of portable and home entertainment in all electronics.

Top Bottom