• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 14 - 20 August

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
And so we can safely conclude that about 25,000 DSLs were produced with FFIII, and surprisingly not all of it sold out.

Nintendo has trained the population to look for the DS only on Saturday mornings until they sell out. Actually having systems for sale during the week threw everyone off.

Tadaima

Clever Pun said:
it's okay - they'll have the "4" on there next week

Clever Pun

chadums90 said:
The N64 Mario and NDS Mario are obnoxiously close together...You should fix that...

What? It destroyed Mario 64 (hence the KO). Do you want a boring chart, or a fun chart? Let me know and I'll ensure you get what you want next week, Mr Creative Designer.

gconsole

Scalemail Ted said:
309,000 in one day, 68% sell through. So its true they shipped only about 450k then.

Hmmm... 309,000 for one day sounds like alot. What are some examples of some other games that sold like that?

If you mean only DS then I guess NSMB sold more than 500K in day one.

Grampasso

Scalemail Ted said:
So what total numbers will the title have to pull to be considered a success by Square-Enix?

Well, I personally think it already IS a success, given the numbers. Now we just need to see if its sales pattern will follow FFs one or DS titles one.
In the first case sales should be stuck at 600k-650k, more or less, while in the second case we would have an almost certain million seller, especially considering the upcoming HW/SW releases for DS (black DSL and Pokemon D/P).

jarrod

Banned
neo2046 said:
some SE total sales numbers for reference

DS
Egg monster Hero - 92,096
Slime Morimori DQ 2 - 290,668
Seiken Densetsu DS COM - 260,377
FF3 - 300,900 (1st day)

PSP
VP Lenneth - 160,376
DQ & FF in Itadaki Street Portable - 97,980
Do you happen to have any GBA numbers for comparison too?

ziran said:
great sales (if true).

so what's square enix going to make next for ds in terms of major final fantasy rpgs?

there's clearly a big audience for a more traditional ff rpg and i can see why. i played all the ff up to ffx, but grew tired of the direction it was headed.

i think the best bet would be develop an entirly new line of games, i don't think there's any point in remaking any others on the ds.

I was saying five years ago that Square should be learning from the success of FFTA and begin releasing a "Final Fantasy Advance" series of new 2D Final Fantasies with old (or older) school gameplay and art/music by up-and-coming SE employees, but did they listen to me? Nooooooo. If they want to start now, I'll QQ bitter tears for having missed the boat on actual 2D, but the FFIII engine is gorgeous and if they want to recycle it into a new game or two I'm up for it.

The usual

GBASP at 24 weeks: 1.36M
DSL at 24 weeks: 3.64M
Time for GBASP to reach 3.64M: 69 weeks

"GBA after SP" at 24 weeks: 357K
"DS after DSL" at 24 weeks: 477K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 477K: 36 weeks

DS at 24 weeks: 2.33M
PSP at 24 weeks: 1.35M
GBM at 24 weeks: 453K

Graphically

ethelred

Wow. Great first day sales for FF3. This game should absolutely end up following the same trend as most other notable DS games, in sticking around on the charts... so we are looking at a game that should definitely be topping a million.

And before I forget (I didn't see anyone else comment on it), fantastic first day sales there for Rune Factory. 30k is way more than I expected... given that I had been figuring on a 50k LTD for the game. With 30k in first day sales I would imagine it'll be a 100k+ seller.

So the game might get up to 500,000 by the end of the week. I would say that exceded my predictions by over 100,000. Plus the fact that there are shortages means that there will be demand next week. I bet we can expect up to 200,000 next week also.

Tadaima

Pureauthor said:
Why do you have 2 'DS' in your graph?

Are you directing that at me? If so, because there are two Mario platformers on the DS.

Don't question my methods! Argargargghhhh ;_;

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I don't mean to sounds like a nay-sayer here, (though I usually am) but I would have figured that it would have sold at a higher rate proportionatly to its shipped numbers. Hasn't Final Fantasy historically sold about 90% of its total sales in the first week? And even then, wasn't it mostly in the first day of release? Could we see total sales only at, say, 600,000? I believe that I predicted 800,000, by the way.

Edit: Also, for a revamed game of a title released 15 years ago (and thus a new FF to many) on THE most popular console in a long time, shouldn't it be on track to sell like...3 million copies? This just doesn't seem right for an FF game.

Barf_the_Mog said:
I don't mean to sounds like a nay-sayer here, (though I usually am) but I would have figured that it would have at a higher rate proportionatly to its shipped numbers. Hasn't Final Fantasy historically sold about 90% of its total sales in the first week? And even then, wasn't it mostly in the first day of release? Could we see total sales only at, say, 600,000? I believe that I predicted 800,000, by the way.

DS.

Meier

Barf_the_Mog said:
I don't mean to sounds like a nay-sayer here, (though I usually am) but I would have figured that it would have sold at a higher rate proportionatly to its shipped numbers.

You're right, you usually are. ;) DS titles have long since proved that they're a slow burn in terms of sales. Expect the first week sales to be somewhere in the vicinity of 500k with the long-term sales being something like 2.5-3x that.

I fully expect it to do around 1.4 million at the very least after these early numbers. Considering FFVII AC only sold something like 75k UMDs in Japan, I'd say Square-Enix will be very happy with FFIII's performance.

Barf_the_Mog said:
I don't mean to sounds like a nay-sayer here, (though I usually am) but I would have figured that it would have sold at a higher rate proportionatly to its shipped numbers. Hasn't Final Fantasy historically sold about 90% of its total sales in the first week? And even then, wasn't it mostly in the first day of release? Could we see total sales only at, say, 600,000? I believe that I predicted 800,000, by the way.

Edit: Also, for a revamed game of a title released 15 years ago (and thus a new FF to many) on THE most popular console in a long time, shouldn't it be on track to sell like...3 million copies? This just doesn't seem right for an FF game.

YEAH, because most FF game sell three million copies! Oh wait.

Also, how well have the FF remakes sold? This is on track to be the best selling of them all. You're ridiculous.

Grampasso

Barf_the_Mog said:

Sorry but I can't take you seriously.
Not with that avatar of yours.

Barf_the_Mog said:
I don't mean to sounds like a nay-sayer here, (though I usually am) but I would have figured that it would have sold at a higher rate proportionatly to its shipped numbers. Hasn't Final Fantasy historically sold about 90% of its total sales in the first week?

It's not exactly "historically," but yes. Right now, the pattern is for PS2 RPGs to sell 90% of their copies their first week, yes, which includes the latest FF. This wasn't necessarily true in the past, but I think the general demographic shift of Japanese gamers combined with a pretty solid installed base (while more systems continue to sell, most people who are interested in PS2 RPGs have had one for years) and a general hardcore-ness of those buying these titles contributes to this. (The widespread availability of used copies immediately after a game's release probably contributes too.)

The DS bucks this trend so far. I'd guess it's because it has sold extensively to a less hardcore market (who don't necessarily buy titles immediately), because it's still growing its userbase extremely quickly (so lots of games sell every week to new system purchasers), and because it seems to cross-pollinate sales of different titles more than, say, PS2 does (all the software is cheaper, and more of it is "complementary.") I fully expect FFIII to follow the DS trend more closely than the jRPG trend as a whole.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Barf_the_Mog said:

Given that it was released on the most popular console of all time and did not make it to 1.5 million you suddenly expected the remake to get past it?

Barf_the_Mog said:

90% is stretching things a bit. FF XII sold ~1.75m in its launch week and another ~400k till it left the top 10 (it still sold 25k when it was in the top 10 for the last time). But than again this was on PS2 and basically everybody that wants a PS2 (and FF) already had it at that point (perhaps someone has the numbers for FF X, would be interesting as a competition).

...? 3 million copies? Why not 5 or 10 million copies?

Barf_the_Mog

It doesn't seem to phase anyone that the PS2, with a similar userbase to the DS at the time, was able to push 2.8 million units of FFX in Japan. You make it seem as if its self-evident that this "remake" wouldn't have any hope to surpass that simply because it is a remake. (despite the original being released over 15 years ago and few probably remember it) Considering all the hype everyone has given it, I expected you all to shudder at the numbers.

Barf_the_Mog

Frankfurter said:
...? 3 million copies? Why not 5 or 10 million copies?

Because I'm a realist and don't make hyperbollic statements like that. I was using the sales of a previous FF game on a platform that had similar sales to the DS at the time of its release.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Because I'm a realist and not make hyperbollic statements like that. I was using the sales of a previous FF game on a platform that had similar sales to the DS at the time of its release.

Nope. You used the sales of a completely new FF game on a console, added a whole lot of sales to it to compare it to the sales of a remake on a handheld console.

A remake that is as much a new game as a remake can possible to be.

Seriously, offhand, I can't think of any other remake in the history of gaming that had this much stuff added to it.

(Maybe Megaman Powered Up, but I didn't keep up on what it could do, so enh.)

Pureauthor said:
A remake that is as much a new game as a remake can possible to be.

Seriously, offhand, I can't think of any other remake in the history of gaming that had this much stuff added to it.

DQVr.

Barf_the_Mog

Frankfurter said:
Nope. You used the sales of a completely new FF game on a console, added a whole lot of sales to it to compare it to the sales of a remake on a handheld console.

I didn't add a whole lot of sales to it you liar.

Barf_the_Mog said:
It doesn't seem to phase anyone that the PS2, with a similar userbase to the DS at the time, was able to push 2.8 million units of FFX in Japan. You make it seem as if its self-evident that this "remake" wouldn't have any hope to surpass that simply because it is a remake. (despite the original being released over 15 years ago and few probably remember it) Considering all the hype everyone has given it, I expected you all to shudder at the numbers.

If Square Enix would sent out 2 million copies of the game, it would have sold 1,8 million units today. But with only 450.000 copies out there, it´s bound to not get any more awsome, because it´s impossible.

Barf_the_Mog

MasterMFauli said:
If Square Enix would sent out 2 million copies of the game, it would have sold 1,8 million units today. But with only 450.000 copies out there, it´s bound to not get any more awsome, because it´s impossible.

I know. :p I get your points. I was merely pointing out that historically (at least since VII) Final Fantasy games have had rigid weekly sales, with most sold in the first week. I agree with the first reply up there when the poster said this game will probably have greater legs. He states that the game will probably sell 1.5 million units, a large amount by any standard. However, one has to admit that it's sad that a game like Tomagachi can sell 1.2 million units and that this title may only pass it by so little. I was equating strong DS sales with strong (think 3 million) FFIII sales on par with Animal Crossing. Does this make AC a more populat series in Japan then? Or do handheld sales differ so drastically that it is not even relevant?

It’s a remake. Despite the number of new content, the game is set in the same period, with the same characters, and, technically and conceptually speaking, is not a step forward in the Final Fantasy universe. That is how it will be perceived by some gamers.

People all of the sudden want to compare its sales with that of a brand-new Final Fantasy game, but what they are not taking into consideration is that there are Final Fantasy purists out there that might not want to play this game again – either because they don’t see the point of doing it over or didn’t like some fundamental aspect of the original (and so they elected to skip out on this one).

Regardless of how you cut it, you cannot compare the sales of a brand new game with that of a remake.

And it's funny how people want to question that it is a remake now. :lol

Meier

Barf_the_Mog said:
However, one has to admit that it's sad that a game like Tomagachi can sell 1.2 million units and that this title may only pass it by so little. I was equating strong DS sales with strong (think 3 million) FFIII sales on par with Animal Crossing. Does this make AC a more populat series in Japan then? Or do handheld sales differ so drastically that it is not even relevant?

I think that AC and FF are probably very similar in popularity, but they sell to different audiences. Likewise, FF and Tamagotchi sell to different audiences. The vast majority of those getting Tamagotchi are probably kids and young women, while the inverse is probably true for FFIII. Animal Crossing crosses over to both genres, so it can sell double what the others do with relative ease.

Yamauchi

Banned
Animal Crossing is a more popular series in Japan than Final Fantasy. For that matter, so is Brain Training and Mario (as long as they're on the DS). Isn't that obvious? Japan FF sales have been on the decline since FF8.

Barf_the_Mog

NintendosBooger said:
Regardless of how you cut it, you cannot compare the sales of a brand new game with that of a remake.

And it's funny how people want to question that it is a remake now. :lol

Couldn't one make an arguement that a Final Fantasy VII remake would sell 3 million + units, though.

Also, I don't think people are questioning whether it is a remake or not. At least in my viewpoint it is a game that only 1 million Japanese in the late 1980s enjoyed - therefore, looking at recent sales examples of FF games, I'd say the series has grown large and a portion would want to try it out for the very first time...to them it would be a new FF.

Barf_the_Mog

Yamauchi said:
Animal Crossing is a more popular series in Japan than Final Fantasy. For that matter, so is Brain Training and Mario (as long as they're on the DS). Isn't that obvious? Japan FF sales have been on the decline since FF8.

Am I so out of touch? I though Japan was FF/DQ Land.

Yamauchi said:
Animal Crossing is a more popular series in Japan than Final Fantasy.
Wild World has exploded, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to talk about Animal Crossing as a series being now bigger than Final Fantasy as a series. Get a couple more double or triple platinums and yeah, maybe.

Top Bottom