• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6 Mar ~ 12 Mar

cvxfreak

Monorojo said:
Well thats pretty cool and quite surprising. I knew DS was doing well but not that well :) .

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject tbqh

How is PSP doing compared to PS2?

Considerably worse. PSP barely beat PS2 last year hardware wise, and not software wise.

While I'm absolutely thrilled by Animal Crossing and DS Hardware sales, it's very upsetting to see Japan IGNORE the Handheld Mana series.

I mean, VALKYRE PROFILE FOR A SYSTEM WITH HALF THE USERBASE has almost caught up to total CoM sales, DS owners in Japan need to start taking a look at other games besides Brain Training and Animal Crossing.

But Nintendo and Square Enix also have to start PUMPING OUT commercials after commercials and get some name recognition. They shouldn't be able to watch ANY channel for an hour without seeing a 15 second long COM commercial with GAME FOOTAGE.

Same goes for Nintendo of AMerica. Start advertising those 3rd party games and the wide variety of games for the DS. It's embarassing

neo2046

LanceStern said:
While I'm absolutely thrilled by Animal Crossing and DS Hardware sales, it's very upsetting to see Japan IGNORE the Handheld Mana series.
the case is Square-Enix ignores Handheld Mana series
they hire the souling soul team to make a souling soul clone
Children of Mana is not a Mana game, it is just a normal ARPG

neo2046 said:
the case is Square-Enix ignores Handheld Mana series
they hire the souling soul team to make a souling soul clone
Children of Mana is not a Mana game, it is just a normal ARPG

That's a good point ... this game hasn't been reviewed as well as the other Mana games and isn't even made by the same team that made previous Mana games.

So y'know it's possible (maybe just maybe) that some of the Mana faithful aren't buying the game having heard some of the word of mouth.

I mean Mario Kart still sold 1+ million copies and counting ... so I think that shows regular games can sell to the DS audience as well.

Twix

How is PSP doing compared to PS2?

sony-outlines-psp-future-20060315051732815.jpg

JP : worse
US-EU : better.

That's fine and dandy for MKDS to sell a million and very good. But I want to see more non-Nintendo developed/Published games breaking at least 300,000 IN BOTH US AND JAPAN.

The only 3rd party game to break 300k in the US is Spider Man, and that was a launch title. That's horrible. Castlevania, Yugioh, Madden, Trauma Center (at least 200k), SOnic Rush, Kirby, Advance Wars, Tony Hawk, Phoenix Wright (at least 50,000), etc. should have done that. Though some of those I listed may not be EXTREMELY high quality or even on there, it would give the developers the idea that diverse and mainstream games can sell well, not just Nintendo's games.

It's a combination of poor advertising and ignorant purchasers who stick to one or two games and leave the others to bite the dust. Very sickening.

Oh well, either they will shape up, or lose the US market. They don't have to worry about Japan unless those 3rd party games don't sell over 100k.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
In terms of DS hardware, it seems like only a short time ago everyone was creaming their pants when it hit 100k in weekly sales (in August with JSS). Now it just seems like business as usual and even a bit low due to shortages :lol

cvxfreak

LanceStern said:
That's fine and dandy for MKDS to sell a million and very good. But I want to see more non-Nintendo developed/Published games breaking at least 300,000 IN BOTH US AND JAPAN.

The only 3rd party game to break 300k in the US is Spider Man, and that was a launch title. That's horrible. Castlevania, Yugioh, Madden, Trauma Center (at least 200k), SOnic Rush, Kirby, Advance Wars, Tony Hawk, Phoenix Wright (at least 50,000), etc. should have done that. Though some of those I listed may not be EXTREMELY high quality or even on there, it would give the developers the idea that diverse and mainstream games can sell well, not just Nintendo's games.

It's a combination of poor advertising and ignorant purchasers who stick to one or two games and leave the others to bite the dust. Very sickening.

Oh well, either they will shape up, or lose the US market. They don't have to worry about Japan unless those 3rd party games don't sell over 100k.

I think you're looking in the wrong place. The DS will need its Namco Museum, Spongebob, and whatever other liscenced kid-oriented software the GBA is also known for. There will be others such as Final Fantasy III, Yugioh and Sonic (eventually).

cvxfreak

BorkBork said:
In terms of DS hardware, it seems like only a short time ago everyone was creaming their pants when it hit 100k in weekly sales (in August with JSS). Now it just seems like business as usual and even a bit low due to shortages :lol

And before that with the nintendogs spike. To think that nintendogs and JSS, the two titles people expected to propell the DS to unbeatable heights, ended up doing less than Brain Training, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and even Tamagotchi.

Doogdogg

This is asking a lot but does anybody have tracking sales for the Brain titles from week 1 to current?

BT. ie:

week1. 40k (may-05)
week 2.
current.

:lol :)

I think Final Fantasy IV and/or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles can sell 300k in Japan and the US.

The problem with titles like Castlevania, Sonic Rush, etc. is that 2D, sprite-styled games just don't sell to kids/teenagers these days. Even Nintendo's Princess Peach probably is not going to sell huge numbers.

On the PSP, I bet Ghouls N' Goblins will probably not sell a ton either.

So while I enjoy these types of games, really it seems like a lot of developers aren't putting much effort into their DS projects and yielding the results of that, or they're making games that really don't have much commercial appeal.

Rock_Man

Dark Dragon said:
This is asking a lot but does anybody have tracking sales for the Brain titles from week 1 to current?

BT. ie:

week1. 40k (may-05)
week 2.
current.

:lol :)

Code:
[I]37202
37202[/I]  (74404 in two weeks) 
34487 (Feb 26)
Source: Famitsu

cvxfreak

I think Animal Crossing is even bigger in terms of legs than Brain Training to be honest...

In fact this is the first time AC has outdone BT2, right?

Rock_Man

Looks like WRC Championship (Sony,PSP), I.Q Mania (Sony,PSP), XI Coliseum (Sony,PSP), Lemmings (Sony,PSP) and Bomberman (Sony,PSP), all released this week, failed to reach the top 50. Last week we had Blade Dancer (Sony,PSP) and Derby Time 2006 (Sony,PSP) bombing and the week before that Monster Kingdom (Sony,PSP) sales debuted at less than 20k. Real heavy support from Sony but nothing sells, but then again, someone told me third party sales are all that counts...

jett

D-Member
07 NDS Seiken Densetsu CHILDREN of MANA - 27,000 (129,000)

:lol There was some dude that said in last week's thread that this thing will have legs. 3rd parties on nintendo systems ftl.

edit: oh jeezus some ninthings are saying in this very thread that this game could have legs. HAHAHA.

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I think Animal Crossing is even bigger in terms of legs than Brain Training to be honest...

In fact this is the first time AC has outdone BT2, right?

It is indeed, I can see the two bouncing around for the next few weeks...

ioi

Banned
Rock_Man said:
Looks like WRC Championship (Sony,PSP), I.Q Mania (Sony,PSP), XI Coliseum (Sony,PSP), Lemmings (Sony,PSP) and Bomberman (Sony,PSP), all released this week, failed to reach the top 50. Last week we had Blade Dancer (Sony,PSP) and Derby Time 2006 (Sony,PSP) bombing and the week before that Monster Kingdom (Sony,PSP) sales debuted at less than 20k. Real heavy support from Sony but nothing sells, but then again, someone told me third party sales are all that counts...

Wow, I didn't realise all those games bombed so hard. IQ and XI are past million sellers in Japan and I would have expected them to have at least done something!!

Looks like Sony are running out of cards with the PSP.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
From the impressions I've heard of COM, I'm not surprised it's doing less than other Mana games. It sounds like they did away with the plot and turned it into a dungeon crawler. Sure the previous games didn't have brilliantly crafted stories, but they were there, and were compelling. If square wants to sell games, they should make the games themselves.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ioi said:
Wow, I didn't realise all those games bombed so hard. IQ and XI are past million sellers in Japan and I would have expected them to have at least done something!!

Looks like Sony are running out of cards with the PSP.
Which is why we are getting Hot Shots Golf GPS, PS1 first-gen games emulator, & Eye Toy PSP. Obviously they aren't going to give. Nor should they. :)

GreenGlowingGoo said:
From the impressions I've heard of COM, I'm not surprised it's doing less than other Mana games. It sounds like they did away with the plot and turned it into a dungeon crawler. Sure the previous games didn't have brilliantly crafted stories, but they were there, and were compelling. If square wants to sell games, they should make the games themselves.
It still deserves better sales then Sword of Mana. :(

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
jj984jj said:
It still deserves better sales then Sword of Mana. :(

Why? Sword of Mana was a remake of the first game right? The old Final Fantasy Adventure? Of course, I've only played the original, not Sword Of Mana (or COM). But from the impressions at least, i think I can say: decent port > dungeon crawling easter egg hunt simulator.

Twix said:
sony-outlines-psp-future-20060315051732815.jpg

JP : worse
US-EU : better.
It's worth taking into account, though, that 14 months after initial launch, each system had been out this long:

PS1
JPN: 14 months
US: 5 months
EU: 4.5 months

PS2
US: 6.5 months
EU: 5.5 months

PSP
US: 11.5 months
EU: 5 months

So things certainly seem to be doing a lot better for the PSP in Europe, but the US increase is probably explained away by the extra 5 months of availability.

cvxfreak said:
Ehh, let's consider this again in 6 months.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Why? Sword of Mana was a remake of the first game right? The old Final Fantasy Adventure? Of course, I've only played the original, not Sword Of Mana (or COM). But from the impressions at least, i think I can say: decent port > dungeon crawling easter egg hunt simulator.
:lol

dungeon crawling easter egg hunt simulator with great music > Sword of Mana

jett said:
:lol There was some dude that said in last week's thread that this thing will have legs. 3rd parties on nintendo systems ftl.

edit: oh jeezus some ninthings are saying in this very thread that this game could have legs. HAHAHA.

Yeah, I forgot, not saying that it is definite fact that Children of Mana will show long legs is the same as saying it will have long legs, period.

I said that people are assuming it will not have long legs, ignoring reality. Yeah, remember when the exact same thing was said with Slime MoriMori 2? No? Well, typically, Tools don't like to acknowledge reality. :)

cvxfreak

Slime Morimori 2 was part of the holiday season. This game isn't. It's chances of having long legs are considerably lower (not impossible, but don't kid yourself).

You guys make me want to punch myself in the face. Can I say that?

CoM is going to sell over 200,000 copies. In 2005, only sixty games passed that mark in Japan. 200,000 copies is a success. If you're all spoiled by the DS' runaway hits, that's great, but it's not as if every single DS game has to live up to this standard. I assure you that Square Enix is quite pleased with its DS forecast.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Kobun Heat said:
You guys make me want to punch myself in the face. Can I say that?

CoM is going to sell over 200,000 copies. In 2005, only sixty games passed that mark in Japan. 200,000 copies is a success. If you're all spoiled by the DS' runaway hits, that's great, but it's not as if every single DS game has to live up to this standard. I assure you that Square Enix is quite pleased with its DS forecast.

And yet they overlook games like Rockman Rockman and the PSP versions of great selling PS2 games bombing hardcore. It's a terrible double standard.

Tabris

I told you that COM would "bomb" in relation to first party/non-game sales.

People buy Nintendo consoles/handhelds for Nintendo games.

ioi

Banned
Indeed. 200k isn't a total bomb and it's a moderate success and we can sit here all day and make various excuses as to why it didn't sell better, but I think most people expected it to do more (me included).

Having said that, Nintendo 1st party games on DS are making everything else look bad and a lot of the 3rd party sales on DS in Japan have been similar to that found on GBA- handheld versions of Seiken Densetsu, Tales etc are probably never going to sell as well as console versions, no matter how big the userbase is or how great they are. I think games are selling well enough for publishers to keep them coming, which is the main thing here.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Dark Dragon said:

I used the figures from ioi's website to make these graphs:

weeklysales7kg.jpg

totalsales3zt.jpg

lancubap

Monorojo said:
Monster Hunter Portable has amazing legs 0_0 it really appears it will reach 600k rather easily now....

The game only sold 125k in its first week, NO ONE expected it to even break 400k.

VP will break 100k by next week.

And whats up with DS Lite pushing 2 PSP titles in to the top 10? Its almost like its helping PSP more than hurting it...dont really understand whats happening.

Also Japan needs PS3 ASAP, home console sales are reaching DISASTER levels.

I knew that you would say only "Sony FTW !", "Sony Yeah".
Find something more original to say please.

It is clear that Monster Hunter Portable is selling good: that's because there's nothing else good on PSP, and who has thought that PSP would have a lot of AAA title, now understand that is only the kingdom of the ports and remake. But he understand also, that is not a good idea to sell the console, because nobody will pay 1/4 for an used console.
So, they buy the only AAA & Original title: Monster Hunter PSP.
That's all.

lancubap

cvxfreak said:
Izzy was never this annoying or wrong.

Einstein said:

"The Universe is limited, the number of galaxies are limited, the number of stars are limited. The only thing that has no limits is the human stupidity."

Monorojo is the proof of this theorem.

lancubap said:
Monorojo is the proof of this theorem.

While Monorojo is a numpty, you are hardly covering yourself in glory with comments like this either.

lancubap said:
that's because there's nothing else good on PSP, and who has thought that PSP would have a lot of AAA title, now understand that is only the kingdom of the ports and remake.

LanceStern said:

I mean, VALKYRE PROFILE FOR A SYSTEM WITH HALF THE USERBASE has almost caught up to total CoM sales, DS owners in Japan need to start taking a look at other games besides Brain Training and Animal Crossing.

But Nintendo and Square Enix also have to start PUMPING OUT commercials after commercials and get some name recognition. They shouldn't be able to watch ANY channel for an hour without seeing a 15 second long COM commercial with GAME FOOTAGE.

Same goes for Nintendo of AMerica. Start advertising those 3rd party games and the wide variety of games for the DS. It's embarassing

Nintendo can't really control third party advertising. It's up to the third party companies to decide to advertise their DS games or not.

Koren

JoshuaJSlone said:
So things certainly seem to be doing a lot better for the PSP in Europe, but the US increase is probably explained away by the extra 5 months of availability.
In Europe, PS2 launched in november, and sold out quickly. It was very difficult to find one during holidays. I didn't see shortages for PSP in december, that could also explain the difference.

ziran

i think com is selling well, considering the current state of the japanese market.

all the success the ds has brought is clouding the fact more traditional gaming is continuing to decline in japan, in quite a spectacular way!

there are a few exceptions, kingdom hearts, monster hunter, etc, and no doubt final fantasy, but more often than not franchise after franchise and genre after genre, gaming is just dying in japan.

take ds sales out of the top 50 and you're left with a pitiful showing.

developers must be panicking, big time, and praying next gen brings some recovery.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I noticed that both brain training games seem to have similar, if not longer, legs than Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. Does anyone think there is a chance that BT 1 and 2 could surpass Ruby and Sapphire?

ioi

Banned
Archie said:
I noticed that both brain training games seem to have similar, if not longer, legs than Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. Does anyone think there is a chance that BT 1 and 2 could surpass Ruby and Sapphire?

Eh?

The difference being that Ruby / Sapphire did 3m in it's first 5-6 weeks so very doubtful- Brain Training 2 is essentially 2m behind but assuming it has similar legs that would put it at 3m+:
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/...rain+Training+2&name2=Pokemon+Ruby+/+Sapphire

The way things are going at the moment I think we're looking at:

Animal Crossing- 3.3m
Brain Training 2- 2.8m
Brain Training- 2.6m

And it depends what we mean by longer legs. BT1 and BT2 have sold very differently so far- BT2 won't still be doing 40k a week nearly 12 months later but then BT1 didn't do a million in 3 weeks. As I've used before, some good comparisons are:

Animal Crossing:
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/...rossing:+Wild+World&name2=Donkey+Kong+Country
And AC is gonna make up the 200k lead in the next few weeks and steam past DKC's 3m I think...

Brain Training 2:
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training+2&name2=Gran+Turismo
And BT2 is also going to pull well ahead of GT in the next couple of months.

So I think 3m and 2.5m are very safe bets. And who knows about BT, there's nothing to really compare it to apart from Pokemon R/G/B which it obviously looks a little silly against. Or maybe Super Mario World... lol:
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training&name2=Super+Mario+World

Difference is that while BT has huge "intermediate legs" (i.e first 12 months or so) I can't see it having the "long-term" legs (3-4 years later) that SMW etc had. I could be wrong though!!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ioi said:
Eh?

The difference being that Ruby / Sapphire did 4m in it's first 5-6 weeks so very doubtful.

The way things are going at the moment I think we're looking at:

Animal Crossing- 3.3m
Brain Training 2- 2.8m
Brain Training- 2.6m
If I am looking at your site correctly (and god know I am probably not) it states that Ruby/Sapphire did about 5.28 million. So with your estimates, wouldn't BT 1 and 2 have a shot and getting past 5.28 million?

(Sorry for being a dummy, I'm still sleepy)

ioi

Banned
Archie said:
If I am looking at your site correctly (and god know I am probably not) it states that Ruby/Sapphire did about 5.28 million. So with your estimates, wouldn't BT 1 and 2 have a shot and getting past 5.28 million?

(Sorry for being a dummy, I'm still sleepy)

You mean combined or each?

ioi

Banned
Archie said:
BT 1 and 2 combined compared to Ruby and Sapphire combined.

Yeah, i'd say around 5.5m would be reasonable for BT 1+2 combined.

And some graphs showing the legs of Pokemon R/B/G:

pm1.gif

pm2.gif

Top Bottom