• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They developed Starfox Assault on GameCube, Soul Calibur II + Link sold best on GameCube in U.S., and Soul Calibur III was still PS2 exclusive. Don't put more weight on the SSB4 development by Namco-Bandai than it deserves.

Also look how much they've been announcing for the Vita all along even when it looked beyond dead.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You think this site is a reliable source? Really?
I am not very familiar with Dual Pixel or saying that they are reliable, but just because not everything they leaked was confirmed to be true doesnt mean that these projects werent in development at some point in time. Its not like they have just one source, there are different ones and some are more reliable than others.

Dalthien

They developed Starfox Assault on GameCube, Soul Calibur II + Link sold best on GameCube in U.S., and Soul Calibur III was still PS2 exclusive. Don't put more weight on the SSB4 development by Namco-Bandai than it deserves.

Yeah, that was a head-scratcher for sure. In the US, GC sold best, PS2 was really close, and even the XBox version wasn't far off from either of them.

And then they go exclusive with SCIII, and it doesn't even match SCII sales on the PS2 - never mind losing the other 2/3 of the game's sales completely. I imagine that Sony had to be involved somehow in that decision - because that was just a mind-bogglingly horrible choice otherwise.

Takao

Banned
Wasnt the MHP3 rumor simply based on that one Capcom guy showing of MHP3rd runing on Vita through emulation at the Vita unveiling, to show off that the 2nd analog stick could be used in the game? Or was there anything more to it?

No, there was a series of pre-TGS 2011 rumors that said MHP3rd HD would launch on Vita. It (alongside the Bayonetta movie, I guess) was the only rumor to not turn out true.

No, there was a series of pre-TGS 2011 rumors that said MHP3rd HD would launch on Vita. It (alongside the Bayonetta movie, I guess) was the only rumor to not turn out true.

The source was considered reliable when it predicted Rhythm Thief, Bravely Default, Hatsune Miku on 3DS and Dragon Quest X as a MMORPG.

Given how poorly Tales of sells in the West, why jump on PS4 with only a slightly updated graphics? Also, Tales of on PSP always sold really well.

Well theres your reason. Namco is going to have to move to PS4 eventually might as well build a base as early as possible for a better long term prospect and increase awareness in the West because unlike Japan the West will move onto PS4/720 entirely by the end of 2014.

duckroll

I am not very familiar with Dual Pixel or saying that they are reliable, but just because not everything they leaked was confirmed to be true doesnt mean that these projects werent in development at some point in time. Its not like they have just one source, there are different ones and some are more reliable than others.

Yes, clearly you are not familiar, and probably shouldn't be commenting on something you don't know anything about. It was one single source throwing everything they had at the wall to see what sticks. That's what we're talking about. It was a single "rumor" from one source, which talked about all 3 upcoming consoles and all major third parties. It was all garbage, and anything they did get "right" is likely a matter of coincidence rather than anything else, because if you make a huge list of bullshit, some of them are bound to be right considering how predictable this industry is.

Do you still think these rumors are reliable? :p

Well theres your reason. Namco is going to have to move to PS4 eventually might as well build a base as early as possible for a better long term prospect and increase awareness in the West because unlike Japan the West will move onto PS4/720 entirely by the end of 2014.

The fact is, PS4 or not, Tales of won't look a visual masterpiece. If it's not graphically impressive, it cannot reach a large userbase on the platform it's being planned on. PS3 can still lead a huge amount of profits.

Sandfox

There is no way that Namco Bandai is going to build a huge Tales fanbase in the West. The Tales series is niche for a reason and they would have to change a lot of things about the series.

L Thammy

Theres no dispute that PS3 got the majority of third party releases right?

If we say the split of support of Japanese third parties is 70: 30 between PS3 and WiiU respectively surely it would be easier for that 30% to migrate to the PS3 than that 70% to migrate to the WiiU. Also Nintendo's first party are not enough to carry a home console alone. The N64 and GC showed us this and Nintendo were only able to get away with it this gen due to the casual flocking to the Wii.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/17/who-are-japans-top-ten-game-publishers/

Maybe someone can find a more up-to-date list, but the key to the other guy's argument is up top. If the goal of Japanese publishers was to create a single platform that houses all of the biggest titles (not just third-party titles), than they would have to go to the Wii U because Nintendo is on top.

It's a case of 20% versus 2% (or whatever the current numbers are).

It's just like when they wasted all that time trying to target handhelds. The PS3 game might sell well, but I doubt it will ever pull in Xillia numbers again. That ship has sailed.

So, companies that are even having difficulty creating products that appeal to the West should rely further on the West for sales? There's obviously a problem, but if you're selling sausages you probably shouldn't make vegans your target demographic.

Majmun

"Sony is near the middle end part of their Project Orbis, their next generation PS4. It will not be called Playstation 4, teams have started to call the final name as Omni. Omni will reflect their new hardware and content delivery philosophy. Omni will be “very capable” of doing modern day graphics compared to a Direct X 11 level of technology like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbite 2. Compared to Wii U, it is better, but not the biggest leap in the world according to developer friends of mine. The key is the Omniviewer, a thin, lite and slick head mounted autosteroptic display that can track the users head and presents a 360 image view with semi transparent AMOLED screens. This can turn any TV into a 3D TV, as well as add extra augmented reality information outside of the TV screen. One application from an entertainment perspective seeing movies in 2k, 4k or IMAX resolutions as their original size where you have to move your head to look at the full picture being displayed. Can also synch with the Vita. The new controllers whether it’s the Dual-Moves or the Classic DualShock will have pulse sensors in the grips for biofeedback gameplay."

Just what am I reading here???

Almost every sentence is false, lol.

donny2112

If the goal of Japanese publishers was to create a single platform that houses all of the biggest titles (not just third-party titles), than they would have to go to the Wii U because Nintendo is on top.

Correct, but as pointed out before, the "if" part of that is wrong. Third-parties are not trying to create a single platform that houses all of the biggest titles, regardless of publisher. They are each making their own decisions about platform support. If those decisions happen to mainly coalesce around a single platform, great, but there's not some collusion going on to make that happen.

For Tales specifically, I still like what Bebpo theorized years ago that Tales fanbase follows Final Fantasy fanbase. Tales might get some sales on platforms without that big Final Fantasy support (mainly Nintendo platforms the last few gens), but their biggest sales most often come on the tails (haha) of Final Fantasy.

L Thammy

For Tales specifically, I still like what Bebpo theorized years ago that Tales fanbase follows Final Fantasy fanbase. Tales might get some sales on platforms without that big Final Fantasy support (mainly Nintendo platforms the last few gens), but their biggest sales most often come on the tails (haha) of Final Fantasy.

Now that I think about it, isn't Final Fantasy heading down and Tales heading up? Is it reasonable to think those two are connected?

Speaking of Tales, how much did Dimps have in the design and all in Tempest? Who's to blame for the game being mediocre?

Thing is, I'd LOVE it if Dimps themselves remade Tempest on 3DS, I love Dimps so I likely am biased towards them so I can't hate on Tempest unless I play it, it looks fine and even fun in screens and vids from what I remember.

Did we find out who did Hearts R?

Takao

Banned
Speaking of Tales, how much did Dimps have in the design and all in Tempest? Who's to blame for the game being mediocre?

Thing is, I'd LOVE it if Dimps themselves remade Tempest on 3DS, I love Dimps so I likely am biased towards them so I can't hate on Tempest unless I play it, it looks fine and even fun in screens and vids from what I remember.

Did we find out who did Hearts R?

7th Chord, who also did the Innocence remake.

Oh, and a fan translation for Tempest was released this week if you'd like to experience the supposed awfulness firsthand.

Do plans change as much as this?

"Sony is near the middle end part of their Project Orbis, their next generation PS4. It will not be called Playstation 4, teams have started to call the final name as Omni. Omni will reflect their new hardware and content delivery philosophy. Omni will be “very capable” of doing modern day graphics compared to a Direct X 11 level of technology like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbite 2. Compared to Wii U, it is better, but not the biggest leap in the world according to developer friends of mine. The key is the Omniviewer, a thin, lite and slick head mounted autosteroptic display that can track the users head and presents a 360 image view with semi transparent AMOLED screens. This can turn any TV into a 3D TV, as well as add extra augmented reality information outside of the TV screen. One application from an entertainment perspective seeing movies in 2k, 4k or IMAX resolutions as their original size where you have to move your head to look at the full picture being displayed. Can also synch with the Vita. The new controllers whether it’s the Dual-Moves or the Classic DualShock will have pulse sensors in the grips for biofeedback gameplay."

You think this site is a reliable source? Really?

Wow.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yes, clearly you are not familiar, and probably shouldn't be commenting on something you don't know anything about. It was one single source throwing everything they had at the wall to see what sticks. That's what we're talking about. It was a single "rumor" from one source, which talked about all 3 upcoming consoles and all major third parties. It was all garbage, and anything they did get "right" is likely a matter of coincidence rather than anything else, because if you make a huge list of bullshit, some of them are bound to be right considering how predictable this industry is.

Hey i never thought they were reliable to begin with, i know them from the MC threads back then and thats all but i wouldn't call them reliable :)
Actually i was just commenting on that BF4 WiiU rumor and that one false or not confirmed rumor doesnt automatically mean it never was the case to begin with.

Soriku

It doesn't really matter as their decisions are based on Japan, where the main Tales fanbase is, so if that fanbase isn't ready to move over, it'd only hurt them because they'd up end targeting a much smaller base of fans in the West.

They've practically confirmed a new PS3 Tales regardless.

Thorgal

It doesn't really matter as their decisions are based on Japan, where the main Tales fanbase is, so if that fanbase isn't ready to move over, it'd only hurt them because they'd up end targeting a much smaller base of fans in the West.

They've practically confirmed a new PS3 Tales regardless.

if they want to garner a bigger fanbase on Ps4 in the west then they should try to get a game out for it asap while the game library is still small.
Because if they decide to wait a year or two then they risk of gething smotherd/ buried by western releases and be largely ignored .

Soriku

if they want to garner a bigger fanbase on Ps4 in the west then they should try to get a game out for it asap while the game library is still small.
Because if they decide to wait a year or two then they risk of gething smotherd/ buried by western releases and be largely ignored .

You could say the same thing for Tales games on the PS3. How many Tales fans are going to skip the games in favor of some Western games? Not saying there isn't some overlap but the Tales fanbase should be distinctive enough for that not to matter too much.

Thorgal

You could say the same thing for Tales games on the PS3. How many Tales fans are going to skip the games in favor of some Western games? Not saying there isn't some overlap but the Tales fanbase should be distinctive enough for that not to matter too much.

sure the fanbase will be there day 1 but if they want to expand that fanbase they will want to be noticed by Joe Average who would like this game but doesnt even know of its existence.

thats why they should jump in while the library is still limited.

Soriku

Did launching early in the generation help Folklore, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, or Tales of Vesperia?

I know ToV and Dawn of the New World sold better in NPD than Graces F, but there may other factors involved than just releasing (relatively) early. Plus they admitted they didn't market Graces F that well.

sure the fanbase will be there day 1 but if they want to expand that fanbase they will want to be noticed by Joe Average who would like this game but doesnt even know of its existence.

thats why they should jump in while the library is still limited.

It should still be OK. Year 1 is very early, and year 2 is still early. Vesperia and Dawn of the New World released in 2008 and did fine in the US.

As far as console JRPGs go, Ninokuni sold really well and that just released a few months ago so I don't think getting in early is a huge deal. They just need to make a really good game and give it marketing/exposure.

And again, they make their decisions primarily for their main fanbase in Japan, so this is kind of moot...

Thorgal

Did launching early in the generation help Folklore, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, or Tales of Vesperia?
i dont know how hard those bombed( if they did ) , but didnt TOV sell relatively well on xbox even if it was a clusterfuck behind the scenes but still sold better on ps3 when they released the directors cut in japan?

Sadly, we will never know how well that ps3 version would have done here in the west.

I have to ask, how much does it mean that PS4 is much easier to develop for than the PS3 for the Japanese studios out there? Do these devs use similar tools as their western counterparts?

Will they embrace the familiar PC architecture as much as the western devs have? Or is this irrelevant to what system they will make games for?

Capcom certainly would benefit i think, they have probably the best record as far as PC support (a couple of notable exceptions aide) so the similarity of PS4/nextbox/PC should make multiplats more cost effective for them at the least.

Pubs like Sega and Square have could enlist help from their western studios and also aren't new to PC stuff in their Japanese studios to start with.

A few studios used western built engines this gen too, (mostly UE3) so there is definitely some experience their.

More than all that though is that generally a new architecture is needed to e learned going into a new generation anyway but this time the new architecture is an old one with already massive amounts of tool/support and documentation available. It should be easier for even those who have no experience in PC development than the transition to PS2 or PS3 was.

Some of their rumors is too precise and specific to be just "throwing everything at the wall" to see what sticks. I think they knew some things but also add a bunch of shit that they didn't know to a certain extent, also things change. I'd give them a bit more credit than you're giving them. Of course I'd take their next rumor list with a huge bag of salt, but that goes with any source right?

Capcom certainly would benefit i think, they have probably the best record as far as PC support (a couple of notable exceptions aide) so the similarity of PS4/nextbox/PC should make multiplats more cost effective for them at the least.

Pubs like Sega and Square have could enlist help from their western studios and also aren't new to PC stuff in their Japanese studios to start with.

A few studios used western built engines this gen too, (mostly UE3) so there is definitely some experience their.

More than all that though is that generally a new architecture is needed to e learned going into a new generation anyway but this time the new architecture is an old one with already massive amounts of tool/support and documentation available. It should be easier for even those who have no experience in PC development than the transition to PS2 or PS3 was.

It's also worth noting that Sony isn't discouraging games without super graphics like they were with the ps3.

Thorgal

It's also worth noting that Sony isn't discouraging games without super graphics like they were with the ps3.

it seems like with the Ps4 they are realy going back to basic's and are using the strategy that made them so much success with PS1

easy to develop for , heavily courting and recieving praise from all developers ,decent amount of ram for its time.Sony being hungry and aggressive as hell without the arrogance.

it will be interesting to see if the strategy that brought them success in the 90s will work again today.

Sonata and Vesperia were fucked up by microsoft moneyhat if they were multiplatform from start sales would be much better. Folklore just flopped everywhere :)

Tales of Vesperia came out like, 3 years into the 360's life.

And actually, Enchanted Arms is pretty much the poster boy of what I was talking about.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/25055045/september-2006-npd-hardware-and-select-software

A totally new franchise on a console lacking a history of buying games in this genre and it had results like this.

Takao

Banned
Shiittt, Enchanted Arms' first month was better than the last Tales of Graces f total I knew of.

As for ToV, this generation's length has clearly warped my sense of time.

Early games can get a lot of sales just for being one of the few things people can play on their new machines.

Best example SFIV for 3DS

Thorgal

I think Tales series could become much more popular in the West if they did not focus so much on animu designs.

but that animu design is one of the pillars that makes tales so great in the first place

besides can you imagine a tales game looking like this again?

k8p43v2.png

*shudders*

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Some of their rumors is too precise and specific to be just "throwing everything at the wall" to see what sticks. I think they knew some things but also add a bunch of shit that they didn't know to a certain extent, also things change. I'd give them a bit more credit than you're giving them. Of course I'd take their next rumor list with a huge bag of salt, but that goes with any source right?
Sounds like the description of an "unreliable" source, which is the whole point.

but that animu design is one of the pillars that makes tales so great in the first place

besides can you imagine a tales game looking like this again?

k8p43v2.png

*shudders*

Thats still animu. I am not saying to change the anime style art. I am talking about the character designs. I mean these characters are not going to appeal to many wester gamers:

Maybe make the designs a bit more conservative.

For instance Lloyds design aint too bad:

Lloyd.jpg

Soriku

I'd rather Japan just sticks to their guns instead of trying to appeal to the West with certain types of games (Hideo Baba already said they're not going to change Tales' focus like that). You can see how well that turned out this gen...

As for Lloyd, he's still an anime design. But maybe you just like Kosuke Fujishima's designs better? He drew the designs for Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, and some Xillia characters including Jude. Mutsumi Inomata was the designer for Destiny, Hearts, Graces, Rebirth, and some Xillia designs including Milla.

There's also Daigo Okamura who did the designs for Dawn of the New World characters and redesigns Xillia 2 characters.

With Xillia I don't think there's anything overly anime about it in particular (to the point that it'd be a turn off).

I quite like the designs for Xillia 2 especially:

Takao

Banned
Yeah, the designs of Zerochan.net are disgusting. Namco Bandai should do something about that. It's embarrassing. ;)

serplux

Why is Metroid so unsuccessful in Japan? It's been that way since at least Super Metroid (perhaps earlier), and I'm unsure why. The change to a FPS-perspective for the 3D ones didn't help, but the 2D ones did fairly poorly too.

test_account

XP-39C²
The source was considered reliable when it predicted Rhythm Thief, Bravely Default, Hatsune Miku on 3DS and Dragon Quest X as a MMORPG.
I see, thanks.

Might be that the guys mixed up the Tri G version for being a Vita game. Seems very unlikely to me that MHP3rd HD was planned for the Vita launch at least, seeing that MH4 started developement in late 2010, and the Tri G probably started develope around that time as well, i would guess.

Why is Metroid so unsuccessful in Japan? It's been that way since at least Super Metroid (perhaps earlier), and I'm unsure why. The change to a FPS-perspective for the 3D ones didn't help, but the 2D ones did fairly poorly too.
Probably just because of the nature of the games. Not enough people interested in the concept. Several of the later Castlevania games (which have similar gameplay style as the 2D Metroid games) were never really huge sellers either in Japan.

I see, thanks. Might be that the guys mixed up the Tri G version for being a Vita game. Seems very unlikely to me that MHP3rd HD was planned for the Vita launch at least, seeing that MH4 started developement in late 2010, and the Tri G probably started develope around that time as well, i would guess.

Probably just because of the nature of the game. Not enough people interested in the concept.

any vita mhp3rdhd was likely a minimal effort port so its not too unbelievable that it was made alongside 3g and planned for vita launch, i'm a believer it was made and then canned

test_account

XP-39C²
any vita mhp3rdhd was likely a minimal effort port so its not too unbelievable that it was made alongside 3g and planned for vita launch, i'm a believer it was made and then canned
To me it seems unlikely to release both Tri G and MHP3rd HD Vita that close to eachother (about 3 weeks apart), that is why i think it was never planned to begin with.

To me it seems unlikely to release both Tri G and MHP3rd HD Vita that close to eachother, that is why i think it was never planned to begin with.

i dont believe though that 3rdhd was planned to sell much though, just to tempt vita owners buy a slightly better vesion than the 3rd they can buy anyway on vita, basically sell it to existing 3rd owners as an upgrade, if people wanted the newish game they'd still have to get a 3ds

Top Bottom