• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

Sharp

Remember how I predicted DS under 100k? Yeah. Also I think this is the absolute slowest time of the year in Japan but I could be wrong on that.

Sharp

It is kind of funny to hear people calling it doom and gloom when a console finally stops selling out like eight months out from launch after many millions of units sold. I expected this to happen more by March than September. If sales keep getting worse, then yes, there's a problem. But given the Famitsu discrepency there will probably be a slightly higher MC week next week to compensate.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sharp said:
It is kind of funny to hear people calling it doom and gloom when a console finally stops selling out like eight months out from launch after many millions of units sold. I expected this to happen more by March than September. If sales keep getting worse, then yes, there's a problem. But given the Famitsu discrepency there will probably be a slightly higher MC week next week to compensate.

I'm not dooming and glooming; just seems a bit odd to me to finally see that significant drop after months of seemingly impossibly high demand.

iceatcs

phez said:
anyone have info on PS3 JP release schedule?

(09/13/07) Megazone 23: Aoi Garland [Compile]
(09/27/07] Agarest Senki [Compile]
(09/XX/07) NBA Live 08 [EA]
(09/XX/07) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [Spike]
(10/11/07) The Godfather: The Don's Edition [EA]
(10/11/07) Return from Lair [Sony]
(10/25/07) Imabi Kisou [Sega]
(10/25/07) Need for Speed Carbon (The Best) [EA]
(10/25/07) The Eye of Judgment [Sony]

Some might be wrong.. Will see on TGS then.

apujanata

Dragona Akehi said:
Well Wii is just about caught up with GC's LTD in japan right? I think this explains itself, folks.

Finally, someone did what I predicted. Just never thought that it would be Dragona that did it. I hope I didn't offend her with my previous post :

apujanata said:
I think this week will have more and more Sony fans participating. Some of them might even try to bring out the amuzing trolling sentence "Wii will only sell up to GC LTD, and drop to zero after that, since only Nintendo fans buy Wii".

Should I see my two Wii and buy PS3 ? I can get PS3 for 600 USD, together with 3 games. Any suggestion as to which three games I should choose (English version only please) ?

Sharp said:
Nobody's glooming and dooming. The Wii won. Nothing to see here.

There is some stealth celebration and some stealth panic but nothing's changed.

apujanata said:
Finally, someone did what I predicted. Just never thought that it would be Dragona that did it. I hope I didn't offend her with my previous post :

Should I see my two Wii and buy PS3 ? I can get PS3 for 600 USD, together with 3 games. Any suggestion as to which three games I should choose (English version only please) ?

The graph doesn't lie.

uhoh.gif

Lobster

Banned
Mm..

Next week is gonna be a bad week too..No new releases for Ps3, Shin Chuuka Taisen for Wii, Fatal Inertia for 360.

Next week is definitely going to be DS VS Ps2.

Theta, Gundam Mahjong + Z, Mondai na Nihongo VS Another Century's Episode 3, GTA: Liberty City Stories, Dear My Sun!!, Will O' Wisp, Rugby 08

blitz64

The wii sale numbers are very unpredictable in both US and Japan.
In the US, just when you thought it'll go down a bit, it has surpassed DS in July.

In Japan, I was thinking it'll go back up to 60k range but the opposite is true. It's sad to see it go down this week, but you never know...

Loudninja

Lobster said:
Mm..

Next week is gonna be a bad week too..No new releases for Ps3, Shin Chuuka Taisen for Wii, Fatal Inertia for 360.

Next week is definitely going to be DS VS Ps2.

Theta, Gundam Mahjong + Z, Mondai na Nihongo VS Another Century's Episode 3, GTA: Liberty City Stories, Dear My Sun!!, Will O' Wisp, Rugby 08

Hmm that does not mean no sale increase on the hardware, and current software titles

apujanata

Dragona Akehi said:
The graph doesn't lie.

uhoh.gif

Yeah, yeah, I got your message loud and clear. How come you did not answer my question ? You know, I might really need it, especialy when (not if, since most of people agree that is inevitable that it will happen in the near future) Wii sales drop to zero. If I ask my question at that time, people will mock me for falling for the "fad". :D

Lobster

Banned
Loudninja said:
Hmm that does not mean no sale increase on the hardware, and current software titles

Dunno..Nintendo either is stocking Wiis for the big 3 in Japan or are sending Wiis to America for Prime 3 or Europe because Europe loves Nintendo now.

DS..I don't know..Is there any reason why DS is dropping?

Loudninja

Lobster said:
Dunno..Nintendo either is stocking Wiis for the big 3 in Japan or are sending Wiis to America for Prime 3 or Europe because Europe loves Nintendo now.

I dont know,maybe everyone has one now? :lol

Lobster said:

Or maybe your whole house of lies is coming down around you?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Seeing Wii sales dampen down a bit is a bit discouraging, but on the upside the Xbox 360 is now selling less than 2,000. When's the last time that happened? If the trend continues, it may cause to Japanese publishers reconsider putting their games on the platform. Cheer up.

Xisiqomelir

Gahiggidy said:
Seeing Wii sales dampen down a bit is a bit discouraging, but on the upside the Xbox 360 is now selling less than 2,000. When's the last time that happened? If the trend continues, it may cause to Japanese publishers reconsider putting their games on the platform. Cheer up.

Perfection. :lol

Sharp

Gahiggidy said:
jimbo on suicide watch?

Fafalada said:
In Japan? I'd expect GT and Ratchet to do MUCH more for sales then HS.
I could be totally wrong, but I never had the impression HS had much sales potential in Japan - before reviews I would have even given Lair a better chance.

I wasn't serious. I was just referencing AniHawk's Heavenly Sword + Uncharted joke.

AniHawk

Lobster said:

Well the DS essentially sold the PS2's 7-year LTD in 3 years, so that may have something to do with it.

Olaeh

When I first saw those Wii numbers I immediately assumed supply went to the US for Metroid. Maybe Nintendo figures they've already won Japan so they just want to really push the US atm. But DS sales are down a bit too, so maybe it was just a slow week? (How weird to think of 90k+ as "slow").

apujanata

Gahiggidy said:

2006 :
Oct Week 3 (09-15) 1,743
Oct Week 4 (16-22) 1,287
Oct Week 5 (23-29) 1,565

Will Jimbo really get his wish, 1 Million X360 LTD in Japan ?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It would be nice if anyone could post the progression chart of the Nintendo and Sony shares of the market (based on the pac man chart)?

That should be part of every media create sales thread.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
What one would have to look at is the overall percentage of Wii consoles vs. total consoles to see how bad this week really is. If you look closely, you'll notice two things:

1. MS & Sony have been remarkably predictable in terms of sales, remaining consistent week to week all year long.
2. Nintendo appears to get every extra dollar spent on videogames in Japan. When total sales goes down, Nintendo takes the biggest hit...but still dominates the percentages week to week.

I would conclude that Nintendo is driving the industry in Japan right now, at least according to total console sales charts.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ether_Snake said:
It would be nice if anyone could post the progression chart of the Nintendo and Sony shares of the market (based on the pac man chart)?

That should be part of every media create sales thread.

I have that.

Lightning

Banned
Anyone know when Heavenly Sword releases in Japan?

Those Japan Wii figures seem to have sparked hope in Sony fans. FFVII Crisis Core releases on the PSP in less then 2 weeks and I am expecting big things. :D

sphinx

the piano man
lets assume demand for Wii finally cools down and it fluctuates steadily between 20k and 30k. That would mean, all 3 next-gen consoles would have flopped.

scary.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
sphinx said:
lets assume demand for Wii finally cools down and it fluctuates steadily between 20k and 30k. That would mean, all 3 next-gen consoles would have flopped.

scary.

well, i wouldn't say they all flopped. it'd be more like the whole industry is downsizing..

Grecco

So the general consensus is that "just about wraps it up for Nintendo?"

.................... until the next NPD?

phez

Banned
iceatcs said:
(09/13/07) Megazone 23: Aoi Garland [Compile]
(09/27/07] Agarest Senki [Compile]
(09/XX/07) NBA Live 08 [EA]
(09/XX/07) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [Spike]
(10/11/07) The Godfather: The Don's Edition [EA]
(10/11/07) Return from Lair [Sony]
(10/25/07) Imabi Kisou [Sega]
(10/25/07) Need for Speed Carbon (The Best) [EA]
(10/25/07) The Eye of Judgment [Sony]

Some might be wrong.. Will see on TGS then.

thanks. despite these useless releases, im sure PS3 sales will continue to increase. silly jap buying habits dead? i don't think so.

Tiktaalik

Since Vinnk frequently reports that DSes are not hard to come by in Japan, I think it's safe to assume that the DS has finally somewhat plateaued (for the time being). I think this will be a short term phenomenon however, because we have not only Dragon Quest 9 on the horizon, but also DQ4,5 and 6. If the marketing guys at Nintendo have any power at all, there is probably a NSMB2 on the horizon as well. All of these would make DS sales leap again. That is, until everyone has one.

Tiktaalik

Also with the release of the upcoming DQs I totally expect them to release a blue slime DS a la the yellow Pikachu Gameboys we've seen over the years. This will cause sales to increase to approximately 1 million a week.

Top Bottom