• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Mar 22-28, 2010

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:
According to Sinobi, Nintendo's new title lineup will be revealed in the latter half of next week.
Finally...
I believe we will get release dates for some games. There are many games waiting:

Xenoblade
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid: Other M (probably not for this but maybe a launch window)
The Last Ranker Story (probably not)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
I can't believe they got away with this, but they did.
Well, technically we will have to see how the games end up selling with such little notice to see if they truly "got away with this", especially in terms of the new IPs.

Chris1964 said:
The Last Ranker (probably not)
It would be a tad odd for Nintendo to announce the release date of a PSP game. :p

Yoboman

TreasureHunterG said:
Maybe you're right, but that's not my point when I said that. If GOW3 were made by a big japanese company (that's why I mentioned Konami, Sega or Capcom), unmodified and exactly the way it is, it would be a major seller there. I don't know why they behave like this because, IMO, GOW3 has a very japanese style friendly gameplay.
Maybe Sony Japan just sucks at marketing their own games

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nirolak said:
Well, technically we will have to see how the games end up selling with such little notice to see if they truly "got away with this", especially in terms of the new IPs.

I just meant hardware wise- they appear to have gotten away with maintaining 30K sales for 3-4 months with absolutely nothing released during that period.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
I just meant hardware wise- they appear to have gotten away with maintaining 30K sales for 3-4 months with absolutely nothing released during that period.
You know what would be a bizarre twist? If the Wii started slipping as they finally released more titles.

It would seem to match up with the general craziness of this generation.

schuelma

Nirolak said:
You know what would be a bizarre twist? If the Wii started slipping as they finally released more titles.

It would seem to match up with the general craziness of this generation.

That actually wouldn't surprise me- if we assume tht Galaxy 2, Xenoblade and whatever else won't really move systems, and if we assume 3rd party support is going to continue to be non existent, then hardware sales are still going to depend on NSMB Wii so when that demand slows so will hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
That actually wouldn't surprise me- if we assume tht Galaxy 2, Xenoblade and whatever else won't really move systems, and if we assume 3rd party support is going to continue to be non existent, then hardware sales are still going to depend on NSMB Wii so when that demand slows so will hardware.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking might be possible as well, which is why I was thinking along these lines. Though, there is the possibility we are underestimating the impact the lower price of the system is having, at which point a further slowdown in NSMB Wii might not lower the overall Wii sales that much.

gerg

schuelma said:
I can't believe they got away with this, but they did.

meh. It's still a strategy to avoid.

Nirolak said:
It would be a tad odd for Nintendo to announce the release date of a PSP game. :p

I so wanted Nintendo's April Fool's joke to be that they were going third party. :lol

schuelma

gerg said:

Yes, absolutely. You're basically making it appear that your home console is dead for 5-6 months. Great idea.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gerg said:
I'm going to have to continue with my earlier position on this one. Ultimately the people who get burned by having no new releases for 4+ months are the people who already own the console.

For new purchasers, there's still a vast library of titles they can go out and pick up, so the appeal of buying a Wii doesn't necessarily go down for them when there's a dry spell of titles.

However, if you have already bought all the games you want and the last game you bought was NSMB Wii, once you beat it you are literally left with nothing for a very long time, which isn't a great consumer experience.

It also results in Nintendo not getting any licensing fees. While it's true that the amount they get is less than the amount they get from selling their own games, it is a very sizable amount of money. The DS has a much financially healthier ecosystem for Nintendo in this regard, as they make tons of money every week from all the third party games on the system and their own software still sells amazingly well.

I'm sure that Nintendo would love for this to be the case on the Wii, which is why they have recently been going out and actively courting third party developers to make games for their system. Unfortunately for them though, it doesn't seem to have accomplished much in the long run.

schuelma

Nirolak said:
I'm going to have to continue with my earlier position on this one. Ultimately the people who get burned by having no new releases for 4+ months are the people who already own the console.

For new purchasers, there's still a vast library of titles they can go out and pick up, so the appeal of buying a Wii doesn't necessarily go down for them when there's a dry spell of titles.

However, if you have already bought all the games you want and the last game you bought was NSMB Wii, once you beat it you are literally left with nothing for a very long time, which isn't a great consumer experience.

It also results in Nintendo not getting any licensing fees. While it's true that the amount they get is less than the amount they get from selling their own games, it is a very sizable amount of money. The DS has a much financially healthier ecosystem for Nintendo in this regard, as they make tons of money every week from all the third party games on the system and their own software still sells amazingly well.

To add to this, I think there is a certain psychological component to this- when you have a console literally not having any releases of note week after week, I think on the retailer level you just aren't getting anyone excited about your system. You are still getting your new owners who buy NSMB Wii and Wii Fit Plus, but the consumers who buy games regularly, whether they already own the system or not, feel like the system is dead and move on.

Ashes

Banned
how about on psn? Comparatively speaking, do we know if stuff like flower is amongst the top psn games?

apujanata

Nirolak said:

I'm sure that Nintendo would love for this to be the case on the Wii, which is why they have recently been going out and actively courting third party developers to make games for their system. Unfortunately for them though, it doesn't seem to have accomplished much in the long run.

One of the strange thing about Wii's lack of new game release is that I don't really mind it, since I am having a blast playing Ogre Battle 64 in VC. I think that is one of the benefit of skipping N64 platform, and owning only a limited amount of SNES game :D

I didn't expect lots of people to feel the same as me, so Nintendo should really step up their third party courting. Maybe they want to go the GBA era route, of forcing people to develop game on GCN if they wanted to release game on GBA ? They can use DS as club to force people to develop game for Wii (not a good strategy, but something is better than nothing, right ?)

Nirolak said:

That's never how these things actually work in practice, though. A lack of new titles does translate into a lack of new hardware sales.

Think about it this way: pretty much anyone for whom the current releases on Wii constitute a sufficient software library already is one of those older hardware owners, because the software library already compelled them to go buy a Wii.

There's a certain threshold you can reach where this effect is no longer relevant -- by, I dunno, 2005 certainly the PS2 had such an enormous library that people would be making any purchasing decision more on the basis of the back catalogue than any new releases, and the DS is certainly also at that point by now, but the Wii's software really doesn't pass the same threshold, IMO. What's someone doing buying a console now, in April 2010, if what they want is a $200 box that plays Wii Fit and Mario Kart?

noobie

Banned
PS3 had back to back some good games in Japan..
So now as the dry period starts how much PS3 is going to fall next week.? back to 40k first or back to 30k.? do u think its going to settle above 30k?

Datschge

Whenever someone ask why Japanese don't buy more "Western" games it just shows how insular (and thus completely off from the whole picture) most people perceive the game industry, market and history.

M3d10n said:
As for Japanese games selling in the West, people seem to conveniently forget that the Western US/NA console industry collapsed once.

Fixed, it's only one market which broke, other markets all have their own local preferences, developers, market histories etc. The disparity between the buying habits of the Japanese and the US market is by far not some odd occurrence in an otherwise samey world market, instead differences between every single market in different countries and regions are an absolute rule. The closest to the US market you can find is the UK one, and even that may seem odd to people. Going to continental European countries will uncover even more oddities. And that's only talking about markets of which we regularly discuss data about on NeoGAF, there are a lot more markets uncovered.

So looking from a global point of view regarding game sales on proprietary system (consoles, handhelds) Nintendo is about the only company that sells wherever their games are available. Everything else is either too niche to matter much, or highly dependent on one or few core markets to constitute a success.

noobie said:
So now as the dry period starts how much PS3 is going to fall next week.? back to 40k first or back to 30k.? do u think its going to settle above 30k?

Really depends on how popular torne actually is.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
noobie said:
That's a good question. PS3 big guns have come out (or better there isn't any other big release with a close release date). Wii on the other hand had a good hold for 4 months with almost no new releases, something that will change from now on. The week after Golden Week will determine the trends and how high or low every system will go.

hxa155 said:
I think GT5 will be the 2nd highest PS3 launch, until FFVersus13, anyway.
GT5 will sell a bit over 1 Million in Japan,so there's a very strong chance.

Gran Turismo Series Software Title List

vicissitudes said:
Nah it'll probably be a slow burner and bundled to hell and back. IIRC GT5P did about 100k week 1 and 500k LTD with both versions (rough numbers). I have trouble seeing GT5 do ~500k week 1. (of course, duckroll doesn't think it'll do that lifetime :p)
PS3 price cut has spurred software sales.Fat can't compare to Slim,they are two different beasts.

In Comgnet We Trust

Nirolak said:
Many of these games would place among the top selling PS3 games this generation:.
We haven't seen anything yet.PS3 sales will peak when it's ¥19,980.

Sofware (LTD)

September 2009

Mobile Suit Gundam 233k

Tales of Vesperia 338k

October 2009

Bayonetta 200k

Tekken 6 170k

November 2009

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 414k

December 2009

Final Fantasy XIII 1.9 million (1,881,972)

Modern Warfare 2 219k

January 2010

End of Eternity 167k

February 2010

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition 234k

Star Ocean 4 International 135k

March 2010

Fist of the North Star 397k ??

Yakuza 4 395k

Source: Famitsu

Code:
Hardware (Media Create)

-PS3 Slim

Week	Sales       

1	151,783
2	55,344
3	51,055
4	39,960
5	37,538
6	30,896
7	30,231
8	29,977
9	36,061
10	48,925
11	38,498
12	34,752
13	46,558
14	57,782
15	75,086
16	237,086
17	110,519
18	114,368
19	61,591
20	35,156
21	26,966
22	34,431
23	25,450
24	24,811
25	32,130
26	27,763
27	28,824
28	26,481
29	50,164
30	50,448

LTD	1,650,634    Average  55,021

-PS3 Fat    

LTD      3,274,954    Average  22,278 (Weeks: 147)

Chris1964 said:
Media Create Mar 22-28

01. / 00. [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Warriors (Koei) - 385.295 / NEW

Tecmo Koei CEO to Sony: "please cut the price" of the PS3 :D :D

duckroll

There's a financial report about Koei on Toyokeizai Online. It's mostly about the great start of Hokuto Musou, but it also mentions Samurai Warriors 3 on Wii from last year. It seems originally Koei was hoping to sell 700k copies of the game, but it ended up doing only about 250k. Is this the first time we have an actual figure for Koei's expectations for the title?

duckroll said:
There's a financial report about Koei on Toyokeizai Online. It's mostly about the great start of Hokuto Musou, but it also mentions Samurai Warriors 3 on Wii from last year. It seems originally Koei was hoping to sell 700k copies of the game, but it ended up doing only about 250k. Is this the first time we have an actual figure for Koei's expectations for the title?

I believe so. Makes you wonder whether or not SW3:Xtreme Legends will go multiplatform.

Also, do you really think GT5 will not sell 500k LTD?

duckroll

AranhaHunter said:
Also, do you really think GT5 will not sell 500k LTD?

I can't remember exactly, but I do remember saying I feel it would be a challenge for the game to sell a million in Japan. I honestly do believe the GT brand has been tarnished and significantly made less appealing in the recent years in Japan, and I definitely think it won't be surprising if it doesn't sell 500k in the first week. That's how I feel at the moment.

duckroll said:

I know Nintendo was involved in all with the game itself, but when your highest selling Musou game on the other platforms before Hokuto Musou was Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce PSP at 384,000 and DW6 PS3 at 375,000, isn't that number pretty unrealistic?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Parmenides said:
Code:
Hardware (Media Create)

-PS3 Slim

Week	Sales       

1	151,783
2	55,344
3	51,055
4	39,960
5	37,538
6	30,896
7	30,231
8	29,977
9	36,061
10	48,925
11	38,498
12	34,752
13	46,558
14	57,782
15	75,086
16	237,086
17	110,519
18	114,368
19	61,591
20	35,156
21	26,966
22	34,431
23	25,450
24	24,811
25	32,130
26	27,763
27	28,824
28	26,481
29	50,164
30	50,448

LTD	1,650,634    Average  55,021

-PS3 Fat    

LTD      3,274,954    Average  22,278 (Weeks: 147)

Wow, that kind of puts things in perspective.

Half the ~3 year sales of the Fat in a little over 6 months.

hxa155

vicissitudes said:
Nah it'll probably be a slow burner and bundled to hell and back. IIRC GT5P did about 100k week 1 and 500k LTD with both versions (rough numbers). I have trouble seeing GT5 do ~500k week 1. (of course, duckroll doesn't think it'll do that lifetime :p)

GT5 is the biggest system seller the PS3 is ever going to have. Bigger than MGS4, FFXIII and GOW3. And now that the PS3 is finally at a good price for the mainstream, I'm sure it will do 500k week 1 (with an error of maybe 10%) in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
If they expected 700k only from Japan these guys are indeed crazy. Not that worldwide it would make a big difference.

duckroll

Hero of Legend said:
I know Nintendo was involved in all with the game itself, but when your highest selling Musou game on the other platforms before Hokuto Musou was Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce PSP at 384,000 and DW6 PS3 at 375,000, isn't that number pretty unrealistic?

Musou Orochi did 649k on the PS2, and the sequel sold 411k. The entire point of putting Samurai Warriors on the Wii was to potentially tap in to people who do not usually play Musou games. The Wii has a huge userbase, and they wanted to see if they could attract more casual gamers or non-core fans of the series into also picking up the game. You can claim it is unrealistic, but the fact is that if they wanted to just sell another 300-400k title, they wouldn't even have bothered putting it on the Wii. Now they know where their actual fanbase is, and that casual fans are not interested. So that's that.

schuelma

duckroll said:
but the fact is that if they wanted to just sell another 300-400k title, they wouldn't even have bothered putting it on the Wii. Now they know where their actual fanbase is, and that casual fans are not interested. So that's that.

Or Nintendo gave them incentives to put it on the Wii.

duckroll

schuelma said:
Or Nintendo gave them incentives to put it on the Wii.

Or maybe that was the incentive. That Nintendo somehow managed to convince the producers to try putting a game on their platform because it had the potential to sell a lot more than it normally does on the other consoles at the time. This is not an unheard of strategy, and it's something Reggie is also trying to do in the US. And facing.... the same results! :lol

schuelma

duckroll said:
Or maybe that was the incentive. That Nintendo somehow managed to convince the producers to try putting a game on their platform because it had the potential to sell a lot more than it normally does on the other consoles at the time. This is not an unheard of strategy, and it's something Reggie is also trying to do in the US. And facing.... the same results! :lol

I'm guessing the incentives was more along the lines of promoting it in the West. Hence Nintendo publishing it in N.A. Of course, that probably won't work out well either.

donny2112

duckroll said:
Now they know where their actual fanbase is,

Again, they worked hard to build their fanbase on PS360 and did almost nothing on Wii prior to Sengoku Musou 3's release. It's easy to see where the fanbase is, when you put all your effort building it there. :lol

Edit:
Again, let me reiterate. I think it was probably easier to build a fanbase on PS360, since the traditional type games were already going there. It probably would've required more effort to build such a fanbase on Wii, but instead, Koei put almost no effort (e.g. no PS2 ports of Musou games) into building a fanbase on Wii. The effort required probably would've been higher, but the payoff potentially would've been greater. By this point, they would've done better putting it on PS360 since they had already worked to build a userbase for the game there. That would be where the likely Nintendo "support" came in to get it on Wii.

Eteric Rice

I wish Nintendo would just hurry up and make their new console, and try again. It's pretty obvious at this point that the Wii is stuck in it's trend. It's sad, but true.

Can't be more than a year or two off, considering the 3DS has been announced.

Heck, it might be sooner than we think, due to them splurging out a bunch of their biggest franchises in one year.

spwolf

Eteric Rice said:
I wish Nintendo would just hurry up and make their new console, and try again. It's pretty obvious at this point that the Wii is stuck in it's trend. It's sad, but true.

Heck, it might be sooner than we think, due to them splurging out a bunch of their biggest franchises in one year.

didnt wii sales go up this week? what exactly will new hardware solve?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
spwolf said:
There is an opinion that a PS3/360 powerful Wii 2 would solve many of Wii third party problems, something I can't say I agree with.

Eteric Rice

spwolf said:

Their third party support is dying (what was there is, anyway). The enthusiast gamers have pretty much turned their back on it, so even when something good releases, it'll die or underperform. Hell, it's to the point where is someone says something is on the Wii, people ignore it.

And now, even the games they did get exclusively will probably go multiplatform because of Move and possibly Natal.

The sales aren't the problem, it's that the perception of the Wii is going down the shitter faster and faster.

There is an opinion that a PS3/360 powerful Wii 2 would solve many of Wii third party problems, something I can't say I agree with.

No, you're right, it probably wouldn't solve their problems. They would have to find a way to pull the rug out from everyone's feet again. They'd also have to convince people to buy this new console, or at least give them a reason to consider it.

How would they do that?

Don't know yet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Eteric Rice said:
No, you're right, it probably wouldn't solve their problems. They would have to find a way to pull the rug out from everyone's feet again. They'd also have to convince people to buy this new console, or at least give them a reason to consider it.

How would they do that?

Don't know yet.
So why should they rush to launch Wii 2 and not stay with Wii when they make millions from it? Whatever they can fix with Wii 2 can also be fixed with Wii, especially with the big userbase it already has and the strong first party releases it has for the rest of the year.

donny2112 said:
Again, they worked hard to build their fanbase on PS360 and did almost nothing on Wii prior to Sengoku Musou 3's release. It's easy to see where the fanbase is, when you put all your effort building it there. :lol

Edit:
Again, let me reiterate. I think it was probably easier to build a fanbase on PS360, since the traditional type games were already going there. It probably would've required more effort to build such a fanbase on Wii, but instead, Koei put almost no effort (e.g. no PS2 ports of Musou games) into building a fanbase on Wii. The effort required probably would've been higher, but the payoff potentially would've been greater. By this point, they would've done better putting it on PS360 since they had already worked to build a userbase for the game there. That would be where the likely Nintendo "support" came in to get it on Wii.

What actually constitutes releases that build a fanbase? IIRC post-PS2 the highest selling Musou game was, or still is until next week, DW6 PS3 (although maybe Multi Raid 1 PSP is a smidge higher), which was the 2nd Musou game that Koei released on the PS3, after the first Gundam Musou. All the other supposed fanbase builder, Orochi Z, Gundam 2, Multiraid didn't come out until after DW6 had acheived its sales. Hell if we want to talk fanbase building, Garaph throughs up 312k for Gundam Musou to 247k for Samurai Warriors 3.

'Fanbase building' seems to be the damage control for the PS3 userbase being a more receptive audience for the Musou games from the getgo.

TreasureHunterG said:
Proof? Tell me then how many western made games were huge sellers on Japan? Quite a few huh?

Pretty much anything by Rare, Insomniac mascot games, Grand Theft Auto, etc. It's all about marketing. EA may be a monster publisher in the West but in Japan they're niche. This is why many games like Fallout 3 and the like don't sell much out in Japan. It's because they are published by niche publisher such as Spike (Japan's Atlus) who are in charge of marketing them.

TreasureHunterG said:
On the other hand I can name thousands of japanese games being huge sellers here on the west.

Because I'm sure that Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, and the likes aren't made to appeal to a Western demographic. :lol

Nintendo and Capcom games sell so much because they're solely geared to be universally appealing. While most Western games aren't made with the Japanese audience in mind. This explains why Yakuza, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, "Warriors" games, Shiren, and Devil Kings, and what not flop so hard outside of Japan, because those are some of the, very few, big production Japanese games that are made solely with the Japanese audience in mind (though Monster Hunter may be going through some changes).

Eteric Rice said:

DQX is probably gonna come out next year, I don't think any DQ game (at least not in the main series) has ever been a launch title for any console. If Nintendo was to release a WiiHD next year then I feel confident that DQX would move platforms, and it wouldn't go to Wii or WiiHD. I think Nintendo will stick with Wii for at least a couple more years, there's still Zelda to come, possibly FZero, StarFox, NSMBWii 2, etc....and I believe some big 3rd party games will still come to Wii, even if I think they won't be exclusive like Inazuma Eleven Break, SW3:Xtreme Legends, another Tales, MH3G, a Kingdom Hearts game maybe even 3, etc...

Flying_Phoenix said:
Nintendo and Capcom games sell so much because they're solely geared to be universally appealing. While most Western games aren't made with the Japanese audience in mind. This explains why Yakuza, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, "Warriors" games, Shiren, and Devil Kings, and what not flop so hard outside of Japan, because those are some of the, very few, big production Japanese games that are made solely with the Japanese audience in mind (though Monster Hunter may be going through some changes).

Why did LBP flop in Japan? That seemed like it had Universal appeal. Well I shouldn't say flop, it sold well but I thought it could've done better.

EDIT: It flopped on PSP.

Brofist

Die Squirrel Die said:
Fanbase building' seems to be the damage control for the PS3 userbase being a more receptive audience for the Musou games from the getgo.
This.

Why is it so hard to admit that the fanbase for these types of games was always on the PS3 from the start.

onken

AranhaHunter said:
Why did LBP flop in Japan? That seemed like it had Universal appeal. Well I shouldn't say flop, it sold well but I thought it could've done better.

Well to be brutally honest LBP flopped everywhere, they only reason it's got as far as it has is due to heavy price cuts and bundling.

schuelma

kpop100 said:
This.

Why is it so hard to admit that the fanbase for these types of games was always on the PS3 from the start.

I absolutely concede that Koei had a much easier job of it on the PS3. I do however think there is something to be said for PS3 getting Gundam Musou within 4-5 months of its launch and getting DW6 in its first year, where as the Wii only got some sort of Musou crap spinoff until an actual real entry in the series arrived 3 years after launch.

Brofist

AranhaHunter said:

I'm gonna guess the whole level editing thing didn't fly well. Doesn't seem like a feature Japanese gamers care about, although the ones who do have made some pretty interesting ones.

donny2112

Die Squirrel Die said:
What actually constitutes releases that build a fanbase?

Putting out non-throwaway games (i.e. regular games) on a console consistently to let your existing userbase know "Hey guys! Go over here!" The fact that the Shin Sangoku Musou line was continued on PS360 along with new the new Gundam Musou line and the compilation of Musou Orochi was a pretty clear indicator of where Musou fans should go. The fact that there there PS2 versions of all of those games, yet no Wii ports is "smh" material.

Die Squirrel Die said:
'Fanbase building' seems to be the damage control for the PS3 userbase being a more receptive audience for the Musou games from the getgo.

No. The PS3 audience was more receptive from the get go as I already said in my original post. "Fanbase building" is what Koei didn't do, but should've done on Wii before releasing Sengoku Musou 3. The fact they didn't even bother with easy PS2 ports is ridiculous.

kpop100 said:

It's not. I said as much in my original post.

Top Bottom