• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Mar 22-28, 2010

AranhaHunter said:
Why did LBP flop in Japan? That seemed like it had Universal appeal. Well I shouldn't say flop, it sold well but I thought it could've done better.

EDIT: It flopped on PSP.
LBP flopped in North America and Europe as well. It only started doing well when the price dropped and SONY started to push it harder. Guess SONY of Japan didn't take note?

Also probably the same reason why Wolfenstein, Prince of Persia 360/PS3, Madworld, Heavenly Sword, and Brutal Legend all bombed.

onken said:
Well to be brutally honest LBP flopped everywhere, they only reason it's got as far as it has is due to heavy price cuts and bundling.

No way it flopped everywhere. Over 300k in UK (where admittedly there's been heavy price cuts and bundling) and 611k in 3 months in the US (where there's been no bundle or heavy price cuts that I know of). The PSP version probably flopped everywhere though.

kpop100 said:
I'm gonna guess the whole level editing thing didn't fly well. Doesn't seem like a feature Japanese gamers care about, although the ones who do have made some pretty interesting ones.

Indeed, some of the best levels were from Japanese gamers. Yeah maybe the play aspect wasn't as easy as it should've been, that's a good point.

apujanata

Eteric Rice said:
And now, even the games they did get exclusively will probably go multiplatform because of Move and possibly Natal.

And what happen if the Move version and Natal version also underperform ? Since not every PS3 have Move, and not every X360 have Natal.

donny2112 said:
Putting out non-throwaway games (i.e. regular games) on a console consistently to let your existing userbase know "Hey guys! Go over here!" The fact that the Shin Sangoku Musou line was continued on PS360 along with new the new Gundam Musou line and the compilation of Musou Orochi was a pretty clear indicator of where Musou fans should go. The fact that there there PS2 versions of all of those games, yet no Wii ports is "smh" material.

I never understood the reason why publisher do this. If they can do a PS2 versions, it shouldn't be too much trouble to have Wii version. Publisher / developer need to realize that in the future, the new generation, like PS4 etc, there is a very significant probability that Nintendo's will keep the #1 position. Learning to create game for Wii in this generation is a long term investment, which enable them to create "Wii 2" game for launch, and make gamer take notice of their company.
In my personal experience, once I started to enjoy Koei games, I always take more notice of any Koei Published / developed game, just like I did for Nintendo, Level 5 (starting from Rogue Galaxy, which lots of people didn't like) etc.

AranhaHunter said:
No way it flopped everywhere. Over 300k in UK (where admittedly there's been heavy price cuts and bundling) and 611k in 3 months in the US (where there's been no bundle or heavy price cuts that I know of). The PSP version probably flopped everywhere though.

There was indeed bundling of LBP in North America from my memory as for price cuts I'm not sure in the 3 months time span.

Takao

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
The PSP version probably flopped everywhere though.

PSP one did 100k in the US by December, and has been a fixture on the PSN top 10 PSP games for a couple of months. I doubt it bombed. It probably has done better in the EU than North America.

Flying_Phoenix said:
There was indeed bundling of LBP in North America from my memory as for price cuts I'm not sure in the 3 months time span.

Sony didn't do any bundles, some stores have. It got Sony done bundles in the EU, but not the US.

matmanx1

Mmm, this has been my favorite MC thread in quite awhile based on cool things happening and sheer entertainment value. It's also been quite educational! Thanks, Gaf!

Flying_Phoenix said:

Retailer bundles from Amazon and Best Buy, last BF IIRC, I was talking about official bundles from SCE like they had in Japan and Europe. And the only "price cut" that I can recall was the $40 deal from Amazon, which was a deal of the day or something like that, which is when I got my original copy, that's why I remember that, but that's more of an Amazon thing I think, Amazon does that with every game, you can get MW2 for U$40 right now on Amazon.

Takao said:
PSP one did 100k in the US by December, and has been a fixture on the PSN top 10 PSP games for a couple of months. I doubt it bombed. It probably has done better in the EU than North America.

Source?

My guess as to why LBP flopped in Japan moreso than other regions is the controls. Tight, responsive controls are very, very important for Japanese gamers.

Forgive me for being harsh, but the controls in LBP are floaty shit, which is pretty usual for European platformers. Europeans obviously don't care about that all that much, because it's what they're used to, North Americans care a bit more but have shown to occasionally forgive it if the rest of the package is good enough, but the Japanese are never going to embrace a platformer that controls that way.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Forgive me for being harsh, but the controls in LBP are floaty shit

You are not, actually you might be a tad forgiven.

Segata Sanshiro said:
My guess as to why LBP flopped in Japan moreso than other regions is the controls. Tight, responsive controls are very, very important for Japanese gamers.

Must be the reason why Metal Gear and Resident Evil flop in Japan .. oh wait !!

TheThunder said:
You are not, actually you might be a tad forgiven.

Must be the reason why Metal Gear and Resident Evil flop in Japan .. oh wait !!
Oh, don't get me wrong, they are very open to absurdly over-complicated and outright *bad* control systems, but they have to be responsive, which both of those games are and LBP is not.

Takao

Banned
Weird thing is LBP PSP's controls are better, yet it didn't do a fraction of what the PS3 one did in Japan.

Takao said:
Weird thing is LBP PSP's controls are better, yet it didn't do a fraction of what the PS3 one did in Japan.
Damage was already done, I figure. If you happened to find the controls in LBP PS3 unforgivably bad, you probably aren't going to give the PSP version a shot. I know that's why I never bought it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, they are very open to absurdly over-complicated and outright *bad* control systems, but they have to be responsive, which both of those games are and LBP is not.

Fair enough.

I was going to bring up SoTC but I don't think it was a hot selling item at the time :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Chris1964 said:
Finally...
I believe we will get release dates for some games. There are many games waiting:

Xenoblade
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid: Other M (probably not for this but maybe a launch window)
The Last Ranker Story (probably not)
Metroid is already set for summer, would they give it a more specific window than that?

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:

Hello tank controls.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still can't believe that with all the RE games released after it, and all of them being on systems with at least one analog stick that none of the games aped the controls from RE2 on the N64. That would have made CV so much better!

Eteric Rice

AranhaHunter said:
DQX is probably gonna come out next year, I don't think any DQ game (at least not in the main series) has ever been a launch title for any console. If Nintendo was to release a WiiHD next year then I feel confident that DQX would move platforms, and it wouldn't go to Wii or WiiHD. I think Nintendo will stick with Wii for at least a couple more years, there's still Zelda to come, possibly FZero, StarFox, NSMBWii 2, etc....and I believe some big 3rd party games will still come to Wii, even if I think they won't be exclusive like Inazuma Eleven Break, SW3:Xtreme Legends, another Tales, MH3G, a Kingdom Hearts game maybe even 3, etc...

I believe one of the Dragon Quest games was released right at the end of the PS1's life. It wasn't made multi-platform, though I think it may have made it's appearence on the PS2, not sure.

And Zelda is supposed to come out this year, according to Iwata and the Zelda devs.

I don't really see F-Zero, StarFox, or NSMBWii2 doing much of anything to change the game buying habits on the Wii. Any third party games that are multi-platform won't help the Wii either, regardless of it actually coming to the Wii or not.

And unless the Wii versions of these games have anything special about them, I get the feeling they'd get run over by the HD counter-parts.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
I don't know if its a "thing" but according to sinobi Nintendo will announce the Wii lineup next week. I imagine it will just be a retailer meeting.
Famitsu magazine will possibly reveal almost everything before the announcements. I don't think it's only a retailer meeting as Nintendo must start promoting the games (plus the fiscal year just ended). I'm only speculating right now but if they are going to unveil release dates for Xenoblade, Mario and Metroid it could be a mini conference.
jj984jj said:
Metroid is already set for summer, would they give it a more specific window than that?
I had forgotten this, maybe we will have a release date for Metroid too.
Eteric Rice said:
And unless the Wii versions of these games have anything special about them, I get the feeling they'd get run over by the HD counter-parts.
Are you sure that all these games will be multiplatform (espacially Break and MH3G)?

jesusraz

Hero of Legend said:
I thought DQ was successful outside Japan (obviously not Japan big) but still pretty successful?
DQVIII did well(ish) thanks to a big ad campaign and the demo that came with it, but DQIV and DQV on DS only sold something like 100,000-150,000, if that, and I recall DQS on Wii didn't do much better. DQM Joker tanked horribly.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Forgive me for being harsh, but the controls in LBP are floaty shit, which is pretty usual for European platformers. Europeans obviously don't care about that all that much, because it's what they're used to, North Americans care a bit more but have shown to occasionally forgive it if the rest of the package is good enough, but the Japanese are never going to embrace a platformer that controls that way.

That's some fair criticism and maybe one of the reasons why the game didn't sell more, besides the broken online, the floaty controls were indeed the game's biggest flaw.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Damage was already done, I figure. If you happened to find the controls in LBP PS3 unforgivably bad, you probably aren't going to give the PSP version a shot. I know that's why I never bought it.

I'm not an expert on Japanese culture but there was a demo on PSN there right? Don't they download demos and try them out? I think there was probably a lack of advertising and marketing for the PSP version, plus the fact that there's no multiplayer of any sort pretty much kills the game's best feature. That's my guess as to why the PSP version really bombed, I know that's the main reason I didn't buy the game.

Chris1964 said:
Are you sure that all these games will be multiplatform (espacially Break and MH3G)?

You're probably asking me since I was the one that said it, no one is sure of anything in any of those games I mentioned. Maybe they will, maybe they won't go multiplatform, but I think they will. I don't expect to see either one of those 2 games you mentioned this year though, especially MH3G. Who knows though? I've been wrong more often than not

Takao

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
I'm not an expert on Japanese culture but there was a demo on PSN there right? Don't they download demos and try them out? I think there was probably a lack of advertising and marketing for the PSP version, plus the fact that there's no multiplayer of any sort pretty much kills the game's best feature. That's my guess as to why the PSP version really bombed, I know that's the main reason I didn't buy the game.

I don't actually believe SCEJ did a demo for LBP Portable. I remember seeing ones for Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier, and MotorStorm: Arctic Edge/ Raging Ice. Don't think it would've mattered anyways, as I don't think the % of PSP owners in Japan going on the PSN is the same as it is in North America, or Europe.

SCEJ just doesn't seem to care about the SCEE, and SCEA titles they bring over. Because no matter the game's quality, or price, they all seem to do exactly the same terrible numbers. If they bring over Invizimals, I can see that doing decent numbers if they actually push it. And there would be no excuse for Modnation Racers to bomb on either platforms, since the PSP version actually runs better than the PS3 version, has more features than the PS3 version, and is launched alongside. The only thing I can see doing that harm is its weird vinylish art style. But gameplay-wise, it's Mario Kart.

Turrican3

Chris1964 said:
So why should they rush to launch Wii 2 and not stay with Wii when they make millions from it? Whatever they can fix with Wii 2 can also be fixed with Wii, especially with the big userbase it already has and the strong first party releases it has for the rest of the year.
Agreed.

Also, with Move and Natal incoming I don't see a "real" successor to 360 and PS3 (especially the latter) coming anytime soon, with anytime soon being before 2012 or even 2013.

I think Nintendo can and will try to support the Wii and its slowly dying 3rd party releases with co-productions like Metroid Other M, Last Story, etc., not to mention their first party teams for at least 2 years, and I expect more announcements to come about this strategy at E3.

yurinka

Takao said:

Sony didn't do any bundles, some stores have. It got Sony done bundles in the EU, but not the US.
LBP PSP was the best selling PSP game of the year in Europe.

Jokeropia

duckroll said:
Since Koei didn't even publish the game, no.
They were still hoping for that much, which says a few things about their sales expectations. If you say it doesn't count since they didn't publish it, Namco (who did publish it) expected 1 million.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Chris1964 said:
Famitsu magazine will possibly reveal almost everything before the announcements. I don't think it's only a retailer meeting as Nintendo must start promoting the games (plus the fiscal year just ended). I'm only speculating right now but if they are going to unveil release dates for Xenoblade, Mario and Metroid it could be a mini conference.

That's interesting since Famitsu had a Galaxy 2 blowout this week without a release date :lol

Acosta

Chris1964 said:
So why should they rush to launch Wii 2 and not stay with Wii when they make millions from it? Whatever they can fix with Wii 2 can also be fixed with Wii, especially with the big userbase it already has and the strong first party releases it has for the rest of the year.

The problems of Wii have no solutions at this moment. The "big userbase" has proven to be pretty useless to the big Japanese publishers for what they are used to produce.

I'm agree that Nintendo shouldn't rush a Wii 2 as they are having huge benefits with the actual system, but I don't see any chances of Wii solving it´s content problem.

donny2112

AranhaHunter said:
Maybe they will, maybe they won't go multiplatform, but I think they will.

Speaking of Capcom multi-platform games, maybe they'll reveal RE5 for Wii as their E3 surprise this year. But in this case, they wouldn't have announced it a year earlier. I'd just find that funny, if that was the case. :lol

Acosta said:
The "big userbase" has proven to be pretty useless to the big Japanese publishers for what they are used to produce.

Quite possibly because they didn't feed that userbase the usual stream of the normal games that they usually produce. Umbrella titles, and all that.

Acosta

donny2112 said:
Quite possibly because they didn't feed that userbase the usual stream of the normal games that they usually produce. Umbrella titles, and all that.

We are always doing the same argumentative circles. Situation it´s what it is, it´s no use wondering what would have happened if Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy XIII and the rest of big hitters had gone to Wii.

In my opinion, the "what if" scenario it´s not interesting. The interesting matter is: what Nintendo have to do to make sure it´s console (whatever it is) has Resident Evil 6, Final Fantasy XV and so. I guess they are not contrary to the idea to court third parties (I'm not speaking of monetary contributions, doubt it´s something as simple, but they sure played an active role in making Capcom and Square Enix to put Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest). So I think they must work now to make sure that happens for their next machine.

At this point, I believe that big traditional publishers perceive that their audience is in HD consoles at a global scale and that they prefer to cater them than trying to bring that audience to Wii. Nintendo must work harder in reinforcing their links with Japanese industry (they have been doing last years, but they must keep working in that direction) for a future scenario, making sure those companies are aboard from the beginning.

AranhaHunter said:
That's some fair criticism and maybe one of the reasons why the game didn't sell more, besides the broken online, the floaty controls were indeed the game's biggest flaw.

I agree that the marketing was a big problem for the PSP version as well. I don't recall seeing a single ad for it. I was a bit surprised to see it in stores when it released. The lack of multiplayer probably didn't help but I doubt it was a big effect because they'd have to be interested in the title to know that (it's news to me for example).

As for demos, they could probably try it out, sure, but why would they? Again, if you didn't like the controls on the other version, you probably have zero interest in even arsing yourself to try another installment.

duckroll

Jokeropia said:
They were still hoping for that much, which says a few things about their sales expectations. If you say it doesn't count since they didn't publish it, Namco (who did publish it) expected 1 million.

Namco is not Koei.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
More Media Create comparisons

2009 Q1 / weeks 1-13 / 29/12/08-29/03/09
Software: 16.412.292

2010 Q1 / weeks 1-13 / 28/12/09-28/03/10
Software: 17.247.705 (+5,1%)

Remaining big releases of 2009
[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 18/06/09
[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 25/06/09
[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix) - 11/07/09
[WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 01/08/09
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 12/09/09
[WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 01/10/09
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 01/10/09
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 03/12/09
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 17/12/09

Remaining confirmed big releases of 2010
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (Square Enix) - 28/04/10
[PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Konami) - 29/04/10
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Spark / Bomber (Level 5) - 01/07/10
[NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Another World (Level 5)
[NDS] Pokemon Gen 5 (Pokemon Co.)

There are also many other uncorfirmed titles with potentially big selling power (MHP3, FF Agito XIII, FFVXIII, GT5, MH3G, The Legend of Zelda Wii, Wii Relax etc)

It didn't look like that at the beginning of the year but 2010 has a good chance to outsell 2009 software-wise and if there is any new handheld launch it will most definetely outsell it and hardware-wise.

Baki

If Nintendo release a Wii HD it will be more of a DSi than a 3DS. (i.e Revision as opposed to a successor)

Baki

Chris1964 said:
Somehow I missed the announcement.

Somehow I thought you were a database of game information and analysis which gained conscience and wondered onto Neogaf. :lol

yurinka said:
LBP PSP was the best selling PSP game of the year in Europe.

More than GT PSP ?

I find that hard to believe considering GT is far bigger franchise and it was released something like a month and a half before LBP.

donny2112

Acosta said:
Nintendo must work harder in reinforcing their links with Japanese industry (they have been doing last years, but they must keep working in that direction) for a future scenario, making sure those companies are aboard from the beginning.

Agreed. Coming off the Wii where they led in hardware sales despite little third-party support should help some. A Wii 2 would be expected to lead, so that should make it a little easier to bring others onboard.

Top Bottom