• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 28 - Oct 4

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jett said:
Wow EPIC drop for NGS2.
That's last week.

Though with some of the crazy predictions we get here, I guess people could have thought that Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 would sell better as time went backwards.
:p

jett

D-Member
whoops seems like i made a boo-boo. I don't keep up with sales-age like you people, I thought NGS2 came out two weeks ago. :p

Rock_Man

famitsu-ps3wiix360-090927-1.png

m.i.s.

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Seriously, what are we NOT impressed about NSMBWii?

Consider the scope and ambition of Yoshi's Island on the SNES as compared to its immediate predecessor, Super Mario World.

Has the [Nintendo] gaming industry sunk this low that we're now supposed to be impressed by a remake of a remake?

I know this is a sales age thread so I'll keep it brief. I played New Super Mario Bros DS and it feels like a tribute game, a cheap self-parody. Nintendo are much better than this: look at Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Wario Land 2 or Wario Land 3 - all games where Nintendo take a side-step and expand and enrich the themes of the mario universe without parodying it.

Seriously, I'm just not drinking the kool-aid.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Blue Dragon. :( The only game I enjoyed on 360 and I really REALLY hoped the DS game would sell enough for a 360 sequel.

Mojojo said:
What?!! so soon after DSi? no way
GBA to GBASP: 20 months
GBASP to GBM: 31 months

DS to DS Lite: 16 months.
DS Lite to DSi: 32 months

PSP to PSP-2000: 21 months
PSP-2000 to PSP-3000: 12 months
PSP-3000 to PSP Go: 14 months

DSi to June 2010: 19 months

duckroll

RurouniZel said:
Blue Dragon. :( The only game I enjoyed on 360 and I really REALLY hoped the DS game would sell enough for a 360 sequel.

Wouldn't a DS game selling well result in more DS sequels instead?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:
Wouldn't a DS game selling well result in more DS sequels instead?

Perhaps, but I was kind of under the impression that the reason Microsoft let the game go to the DS, despite it being their highest selling Japanese 360 game, was because they knew the DS was the RPG system, and wanted to really establish the franchise before putting a 360 sequel proper. That way more people would be aware of and be fans of the series before jumping in.

But it seems everyone involved really fucked it up.

onken

donny2112 said:
Shock and Awe. Worst.Mario.Game.Legs.EVAR!

Edit:
Since I was curious ...

1st week % of LTD
WII SMG - 26.6%
GCN Super Mario Sunshine - 35.5%
N64 Super Mario 64 - 9.4%
NDS NSMB - 15.6%
NDS SM64DS - 10.3%
GBA SMAdvance - 25.1%
GBA SMA2 - 12.3%
GBA SMA4 - 14.7%
GBOY SMBDX - 29.9%

My estimate gives a best case scenario of 33% which wouldn't make it the worst legs ever but you go ahead and believe what you like. I would also argue that unlike the handhelds, the Wii has no way near the same amount of software competition, leading to more front-loaded numbers.

Between 2 and 3 million sounds about right. Probably close to/right at 2 million by the first week of January. 550-650K first week.

We'll see.

onken said:
I would also argue that unlike the handhelds, the Wii has no way near the same amount of software competition, leading to more front-loaded numbers.

You do see that 26% first week number attached to SMG there, right?

d+pad

Nirolak said:
I was curious so I decided to check some attach rates. Was the DS original figure ever rolled into the DS Lite figure we report now or should I go back and edit the DS hardware total? To note, these are using the hardware totals from last week, and are inherently slightly flawed as the DS and Wii will continue to sell when NSMB Wii is released.

Approximations: (Obviously the DS and Wii hardware counts will go up while these games sell)

DSLite + DSi: 21,269,920
NSMB: 5,535,730
Attach Rate: 26.03%

Wii: 8,502,853
NSMB Wii GAF Prediction 1: 2,000,000
Attach Rate: 23.5%
NSMB Wii GAF Prediction 2: 2,600,000
Attach Rate: 30.6%
NSMB Wii GAF Prediction 3: 3,000,000
Attach Rate: 35.3%

BTW, these numbers don't quite work in the way you want them to, as they're not comparing things in the same way.

For ex: The numbers you're using for the Wii are 'as of now,' which suggests the Wii won't sell another unit between now and the time NSMB Wii reaches those predicted numbers. The numbers you're using for the DS, on the other hand, use current numbers. (For these comparisons to be the same, you'd have to use imaginary Wii HW numbers for whenever NMSB Wii reaches the 2-3 million mark.)

A better comparison might be to use first-week numbers (real for the DS, predicted for the Wii) for the titles and numbers at the time of the games' release for HW - if that makes any sense...

Also, isn't NSMB considered one of *the* games that took DS HW sales to the stratosphere?

Anyway, I still say between 2 and 3 million (when all is said and done) is a good number...

d+pad

onken said:
My estimate gives a best case scenario of 33% which wouldn't make it the worst legs ever but you go ahead and believe what you like. I would also argue that unlike the handhelds, the Wii has no way near the same amount of software competition, leading to more front-loaded numbers.

We'll see.

I find it hard to believe NSMB Wii will have worse legs than SMG and just slightly better legs than SMS. Do you really believe this?

Like you say, we'll see - but I have a very strong feeling you're going to be surprised :)

gkryhewy

onken said:
I would also argue that unlike the handhelds, the Wii has no way near the same amount of software competition, leading to more front-loaded numbers.

This is logical, but patently false.

donny2112

gkrykewy said:
This is logical, but patently false.

It also would have to ignore the other console Marios. Sunshine is the only one close to the best case scenario using his numbers. Worst case would be 50%, which is the worst 1st week % for any game with Mario in the title since 1996 regardless of system (e.g. main games, spinoffs, whatever).

d+pad said:
Also, isn't NSMB considered one of *the* games that took DS HW sales to the stratosphere?
Not measurably. DS was already putting up huge numbers and heavily in shortage mode in Japan, and the only reason there was a hardware bump the week of NSMB was because they held some back just before.
mc

Week 19 some was held back, week 21 NSMB released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
d+pad said:
BTW, these numbers don't quite work in the way you want them to, as they're not comparing things in the same way.

For ex: The numbers you're using for the Wii are 'as of now,' which suggests the Wii won't sell another unit between now and the time NSMB Wii reaches those predicted numbers. The numbers you're using for the DS, on the other hand, use current numbers. (For these comparisons to be the same, you'd have to use imaginary Wii HW numbers for whenever NMSB Wii reaches the 2-3 million mark.)

A better comparison might be to use first-week numbers (real for the DS, predicted for the Wii) for the titles and numbers at the time of the games' release for HW - if that makes any sense...

Anyway, I still say between 2 and 3 million (when all is said and done) is a good number...
I realize it's a flawed comparison on a few levels, but that's why I noted it in the original post.

I'm not sure how to generate a graph of the attach rate of NSMB versus the Wii installed base over time though without looking up each individual week.

I was just aiming for some approximations of what an attach rate would be assuming the Wii hardware itself didn't change much. If it goes up by a million over the next year though, 2.6 million will be about the exact same as the attach rate as the DS, which might actually be an interesting note about the similarities of the Wii and DS audiences, at least in terms of Mario.

apujanata

ethelred said:
First WEEK sales of other Atlus games:
Code:
Nocturne		PS2	151,203
Raidou			PS2	56,215
Raidou 2		PS2	76,576
Persona 3		PS2	127,472
Persona 4		PS2	211,967
Persona			PSP	95,406
Devil Survivor		NDS	56,689
Etrian Odyssey		NDS	31,702
Etrian Odyssey 2	NDS	85,555

71k first day for SMT4 is fantastic.

Compared to other DS game, SMT # is very good. However, compared to Persona 3 & 4 (games I played), the # is "as expected". Is there any reason why you and others (including dragona) seem to think that it is fantastic (a.k.a. beyond expectation) ?

onken

donny2112 said:
It also would have to ignore the other console Marios. Sunshine is the only one close to the best case scenario using his numbers. Worst case would be 50%, which is the worst 1st week % for any game with Mario in the title since 1996 regardless of system (e.g. main games, spinoffs, whatever).

You seem to be getting very hung up on this fw/lt percentage. It's called a "estimate" for a reason. A 100k shift at each direction would make 300k/1.3m which gives 23%, better than SMG even. So panic over, Mario's sales honor is protected!

hirokazu

Dragona Akehi said:
Uh, no? NSMBWii might have the exact same style as NSMB DS, but its graphical fidelity is several magnitudes higher. Just because it isn't dark gritty and matoor doesn't mean Mario has sharp knees on the Wii.
Yeah, what's with the hate for NSMB Wii? I hate my Wii and I'm looking forward to NSMB a lot, and Mario Galaxy 2, to a lesser extent.

apujanata said:
Compared to other DS game, SMT # is very good. However, compared to Persona 3 & 4 (games I played), the # is "as expected". Is there any reason why you and others (including dragona) seem to think that it is fantastic (a.k.a. beyond expectation) ?
It is not necessarily selling beyond expectations. It's just selling very well in it's own right. The first week numbers should be close to what Persona 3 did - leaving everything else from ethelred's list behind.
And there really is no reason to expect a very traditional SMT to sell just as well as a Persona, which is pretty much the most popular SMT series right now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
apujanata said:
Because:

1.) Your comparing First Day sales with First Week sales
2.) Persona is Atlus's biggest franchise nowadays and beats out the mainline SMT series.
3.) Its not 2003 anymore and the Japanese market is nowhere near as strong. Plus DS games tend to be not as front loaded as PS2 games.

At least that's what I'd argue ;)

Dragona Akehi said:
Uh, no? NSMBWii might have the exact same style as NSMB DS, but its graphical fidelity is several magnitudes higher.
I have run some blind tests. People are unable to tell which half of each image represents the DS version.
20091011nsmbwii1.jpg

20091011nsmbwii2.jpg

FWIW I'm looking forward to NSMB Wii, but I'm also in the "It doesn't seem to do anything Wii-specific" camp. I'm sure somewhere in my post history you'd find me saying I doubted any 2D console Mario because anything they'd want to do in a 2D console Mario game could be done as well in a 2D portable Mario game. I, of course, have added that to my list of successful predictions alongside "No machine called Game Boy will lose the ability to play original Game Boy games." and "No DS will remove the GBA slot."

ethelred

I've been gone for the weekend, and really don't feel like wading back into the New Super Mario Bros. Wii sales debate. I'll just let my prior posts on the subject (along with the actual sales predictions I made) speak for themselves, and I guess we'll all see how things play out two months from now.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I have run some blind tests. People are unable to tell which half of each image represents the DS version.

I can tell which is which, but I agree with your overall point here. If there are several magnitudes of difference between the visuals in the two games, I'm certainly not seeing them. I think the Wii game looks nice, but I thought the DS game looked nice, too. And while I think the Wii game has a clear improvement in the graphics department, it's not a particularly big one.

apujanata said:

Well, two other individuals have mostly addressed this, and their comments were fairly accurate. But just to elaborate, my perspective is this:

First, while the Etrian Odyssey games performed very well and Devil Survivor performed well relative to the other games made by that particular team, there was no proven guarantee that the Atlus fanbase would transfer over to the DS for a true Shin Megami Tensei. My belief has typically been that the fanbase is dedicated enough that such a move was likely (take the EO fans and mix in the SMT fans, and you've got success), but it was by no means guaranteed. Second, there was also no firm guarantee that an old school SMT title would perform well these days, given Persona's current importance to the company.

Third, well... you say it yourself: comparisons to Atlus's DS games versus comparisons to their larger PS2 games. Who is to say for sure whether it would have performed like a big PS2 title or like their other DS games? Fourth, as Ducky noted previously, while the game would certainly make a profit for Atlus at even 100k or so, I think they're clearly expecting more of the game than that -- noting that it's the first legitimate SMT game in five years, notwithstanding the fact that this appears to be a game Atlus intends to build upon in the future (designing and animating hundreds of demon sprites for the DS, also known as the Nocturne approach, is mainly worth it if that gives you a framework to use in later games), and that would've been for naught if this game hadn't taken off.

You say that the game performed "as expected" compared to Persona 3 or 4, but I don't think that's entirely correct. It performed as I would have hoped, but I don't think it's fair to say that the game just performed "as expected," given that it easily could have performed worse. We'll have to wait a few days more, obviously, to see how the first day sales shifted into first week sales, and whether expectations continue to be met. I'm looking forward to that, natch, but I'm pretty pleased just based on the first day sales. As to your question of why people like D or myself are happy about this, it's pretty simple. Happy that Kaneko's team is clearly going to have a big success here (this game's first day sales virtually beating Raidou 2's first week sales presages good things) which means he'll get to keep making new games; happy that an old school SMT is faring well, which means we won't just continue to get nothing but Persona; happy that Atlus's attempt to create a framework for future DS games is proving successful, which suggests more good games from them in the future.

Is this sufficient clarification?

ethelred said:
I can tell which is which, but I agree with your overall point here. If there are several magnitudes of difference between the visuals in the two games, I'm certainly not seeing them. I think the Wii game looks nice, but I thought the DS game looked nice, too. And while I think the Wii game has a clear improvement in the graphics department, it's not a particularly big one.

I'm going to have to disagree here. The pictures Josh has posted are not fair in any sense of the word. The DS ones are resized with a filter to soften their look. The actual DS game has jaggy polygons everywhere, and Mario is absolutely filled to the brim with seams (which had for the most part disappeared in early 3D modelling during the N64/PSX era). It was pretty bad.

Here, they look more similar thanks to the resizing and filtering process, also making NSMBWii look worse, due to the resizing.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
PSP to PSP-2000: 21 months
PSP-2000 to PSP-3000: 12 months
PSP-3000 to PSP Go: 14 months
That timeline would have PSP GO out one year ago in Japan. PSP1k -> 2k was ~33months. Though that still agrees with the rest of the list anyway.

Dragona said:
Here, they look more similar thanks to the resizing and filtering process, also making NSMBWii look worse, due to the resizing.
I'd argue NDS version is not helped by blowing it up either - it doesn't look like a blurry mess the way I remember it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
grandjedi6 said:
Because:

1.) Your comparing First Day sales with First Week sales
2.) Persona is Atlus's biggest franchise nowadays and beats out the mainline SMT series.
3.) Its not 2003 anymore and the Japanese market is nowhere near as strong. Plus DS games tend to be not as front loaded as PS2 games.

At least that's what I'd argue ;)

I'd also argue the general premise of the two series are different and SJ is a corridor crawler as opposed to Persona 3/4 and Nocturne, which are relatively standard third person rpgs.

ethelred

HK-47 said:
I'd also argue the general premise of the two series are different and SJ is a corridor crawler as opposed to Persona 3/4 and Nocturne, which are relatively standard third person rpgs.

We're getting pretty far afield here, but I can't let this pass.

From what we know of Strange Journey, it's no more a "corridor crawler" than Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2. And I'd dispute the idea that Nocturne is that far removed from that, so as to be classified as just a standard third person RPG. I don't think there's much different about Nocturne's structure compared to the earlier SMT games outside of its first-person vs. third-person nature, and frankly, if you play Nocturne in the first-person mode built into the game, it's pretty clear that even so far as that one difference goes, the game was still primarily designed around the ideals of first-person dungeon crawling.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You only get access to first person mode if you beat the game once in third person and it switches out for places with a fixed camera. And I didnt mention SMT 1&2 precisely because they are first person.

Not a big deal though.

ethelred

HK-47 said:
You only get access to first person mode if you beat the game once in third person and it switches out for places with a fixed camera.

Not a big deal though.

Right, but it makes it pretty clear that even though the dungeons are all naturally played in third person, they were still designed the same as first person dungeons. It's no less a corridor crawler than the other Shin Megami Tensei games -- you're still spending 90% of your game time in dungeons, and almost all of those dungeons primarily consist of corridors or opened-up block areas connected by corridors because, as mentioned, it was designed to work in first person.

Fafalada said:
That timeline would have PSP GO out one year ago in Japan. PSP1k -> 2k was ~33months. Though that still agrees with the rest of the list anyway.
You are correct, sir.
I'd argue NDS version is not helped by blowing it up either - it doesn't look like a blurry mess the way I remember it.
Main reason I did that was because doing a non-blurry resize that isn't multiplying height and width by integer values tends to be even worse. In retrospect choosing an in-between size so I could straight up double the DS portions might've been better.
Warren Ellis said:
I was being facetious. The games definitely share a similar look, but putting them side by side the Wii version's advantages in resolution, detail, and even play area are more apparent than comparing Wii images with memories of the DS version.

hirokazu

JoshuaJSlone said:
20091011nsmbwii1.jpg

20091011nsmbwii2.jpg

FWIW I'm looking forward to NSMB Wii, but I'm also in the "It doesn't seem to do anything Wii-specific" camp. I'm sure somewhere in my post history you'd find me saying I doubted any 2D console Mario because anything they'd want to do in a 2D console Mario game could be done as well in a 2D portable Mario game. I, of course, have added that to my list of successful predictions alongside "No machine called Game Boy will lose the ability to play original Game Boy games." and "No DS will remove the GBA slot."
That looks great. Fuck the haters.

The only issue I have with it are the 3P 4P Toads. Who would want to play as generic Toads? So lame.

duckroll

HK-47 said:

There's nothing really standard about SMT3. We're talking about a game with no towns, random encounters everywhere in the game, and all the story development in the game is found by progressing in dungeons and talking to NPCs within dungeons. Aside from being third person, what does the game share in common with Persona 3/4? Pray tell.

How well do people think Uncharted 2 will sell? It got a 9/9/9/10 in Famitsu and it's pretty high on Amazon JP (take it for what it's worth). More than Halo 3 ODST?

AniHawk

Hopefully it does well enough to keep everyone from Naughty Dog from dispersing into the rest of the video game industry.

Jonnyram

vicissitudes said:
How well do people think Uncharted 2 will sell? It got a 9/9/9/10 in Famitsu and it's pretty high on Amazon JP (take it for what it's worth). More than Halo 3 ODST?
200k lifetime; should reach 120k first week.

Brofist

vicissitudes said:
+1 from me anyway ;)

Game won't do much though unfortunately, even with the high review score. Shit taste in games and all.

Top Bottom