• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 7-13, 2009

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
This year doesn't mean jack shit, unfortunately. DS had 3rd parties before it was even released.

I've owned the system since launch, and third party games didn't start trickling in until late 2005. Things really got going a year later. Third parties devoted way more resources to the PSP.

Jonnyram said:
Maybe if Nintendo released a Wii Lite (and then a Wiii in a few years), they might see hardware sales pick up.

Well you can't really argue that the DS only took off with the DSL model revision. Before the DSL was released the old DS was doing spectacular numbers. Remember the road to 600k/week?

AniHawk said:
I've owned the system since launch, and third party games didn't start trickling in until late 2005. Things really got going a year later. Third parties devoted way more resources to the PSP.

2009 isn't the year after 2006.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:

I think the big difference is DS got some big SE support early on that kind of set the stage. In order to really make an impact IMO, Nintendo needed the current Wii 3rd party lineup two years ago.

Any chance Square release DQX next year? Dunno what their release schedule is like, just asking. I know DQIX just came out, but it's on a different platform (by a different team?), plus with FFXIII releasing this year, i don't know what their big game will be for next. Other option is VsXIII i guess, dunno when that's due either.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
9 games in 23 years. Do the maths.

And lately the gap has been even bigger.

If it actually does come out on Wii it will be near the end of its cycle.

Kenka

2009 is truly impressive, in a matter of twelve months, we'll have :

Dragon Quest's main series next entry
Pokémon's main series next entry
Monster Hunter's main series next entry
Final Fantasy's main series next entry
Mario Bros' main series next entry

Basically, all the best selling franchises in history of Japan pulled the big guns this year. I think this is unprecedented.

AniHawk

Dragon Quest: 1986
Dragon Quest II: 1987
Dragon Quest III: 1988
Dragon Quest IV: 1990
Dragon Quest V: 1992
Dragon Quest I&IIr: 1993
Dragon Quest VI: 1995
Dragon Quest IIIr: 1996
Dragon Quest I&II GBC: 1999
Dragon Quest VII: 2000
Dragon Quest III GBC: 2000
Dragon Quest IVr: 2001
Dragon Quest Vr: 2004
Dragon Quest VIII: 2004
Dragon Quest IV DS: 2007
Dragon Quest V DS: 2008
Dragon Quest IX: 2009

Dragon Quest VIr/DS is probably next year with DQX as a 2011 title.

That is, unless they have to start from the ground up and can't use anything from DQ VIII.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
Dragon Quest VIr/DS is probably next year with DQX as a 2011 title.

Hmm. I still think they have to put something else out on Wii before X hits. DQ Swords 2 seems like a lock but I thought we would have heard something by now.

schuelma said:
Hmm. I still think they have to put something else out on Wii before X hits. DQ Swords 2 seems like a lock but I thought we would have heard something by now.

I still think there's a good chance that DQX might be moved back to the DS, what with how the Wii is sinking like Titanic.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
I still think there's a good chance that DQX might be moved back to the DS, what with how the Wii is sinking like Titanic.

So it would come out in like 2013?

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:

The Titanic didn't have a new Metroid game coming to save it.

EDIT: I just made myself sad.

TunaLover

Dragona Akehi said:

hey what's up with all those bad vibes, you know itsn't that terrible

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Go go Vesperia. The game deserves some sales. I'll beat it one of these days. I swear.

t3nmilez

Good start for Vesperia.

iDOLM@STER 1st day is very similar to Love Plus and Dream Club. If it follows the trend, it'll probably open 1st week in the mid 40s...seems low for a new imas game but at the same time I'm not so surprised.

Rpgmonkey

AniHawk said:
And the next main game.

Probably.

I assume it's going to start off stronger than most Tales games due to certain factors, but slow down pretty quickly from here (as usual) and eventually get around 210-240K, which is probably just as good or better than what Graces will sell, and a bit higher than the 360 version, but not quite reaching some of the portable games.

Jonnyram

pseudocaesar said:
Whats the LTD on the 360 version, and how does this stack up to WKC first day sales?
Last I saw it was about 197k.
Actually, I think a lot of people will be double-dipping because of the extra content. I'm certainly considering it, but I have beaten the game three times already, so it might be a little OTT.

Incidentally, the 360 version of Vesperia sold 70k on day one.

jrricky

Banned
Hmm,lets see...
vicissitudes said:
How can anyone argue that the PS3 isn't getting much better 3rd party support than the Wii, even today? Look at all the big franchises, where did they end up this gen?

Resident Evil 5 - PS3 Before it launched
Yakuza 3/4 - PS3 Before it launched
Street Fighter 4 - PS3 Huh?
Metal Gear Solid 4 - PS3 Before it launched
Gundam Musou/Senki - PS3 WTF?
Devil May Cry 4 - PS3 Before it launched
Soul Calibur 4 - PS3 Huh?
Tekken 6 - PS3 huh?
Final Fantasy XIV - PS3 huh? :lol
Tales of Vesperia - PS3 WTF? :lol
Star Ocean 4 - PS3 WTF?
White Knight Chronicles 2 - PS3 Are you serious?
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - PS3 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Disgaea 3 - PS3 :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm pretty sure most of these started development after this gen began. What big franchises did the Wii steal from PS3? Let's see there's...

Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Quest

I think that's about it. There's Tales of Graces but Tales has always been on multiple platforms anyway. I'm probably missing a few big titles but Wii's 3rd party support is seriously weak.

Was this supposed to be a serious post or something?
:lol :lol

EXGN

Holy shit @ PS3 TOV. Did that just outsell 360's LTD in one day? I honestly didn't think the PS3 port would do so much, I expected a response much more similar to Eternal Sonata.

Dragona Akehi said:
The Wii's sales fluctuate like any other console; likening its current state in Japan to the Titanic's descent into the sea is exaggeratory.

Edit: Understood.

AniHawk

Black Rainbow said:
1. Saying DQX "might be moved back to the DS" implies that it was originally conceived as a DS game and was subsequently shifted to the Wii. Is there any basis for this? Perhaps I've misunderstood your statement.

2. The Wii's sales fluctuate like any other console; likening its current state in Japan to the Titanic's descent into the sea is exaggeratory.

Hint: Dragona's famous for trolling Nintendo. That's why his name's in red.

schuelma said:
I respectfully disagree- no matter what squandering was or wasn't done, I gotta think 3rd parties will be more enthusiastic developing for Wii 2 than the console coming after the GameCube.

You think the experience of developing for the Wii is going to make people want to do more development on Nintendo's next console? Really?

A lot of people seem to still be operating on the "eventually developers will have to come crawling back to Nintendo, hat in hand" theory and just pushing out the horizon on that actually happening, but as far as I can tell, actual sales drops for the system just give more cover to the people who don't want to make money if making Wii games is the way to do it (i.e. apparently almost everybody.)

velvet_nitemare said:
Any chance Square release DQX next year?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hero

Dragona Akehi said:
Well of course, he should have been doing that sooner: like before the system was even released. But I can imagine that even with large hats of money, not many 3rd parties would be willing to risk it, seeing it like another GameCube.

That's the only reason why I put the whole "six months after launch" thing, because then 3rd parties would see that Nintendo console hardware could sell and might be easier to persuade (with the aid of large tophats made of money).

While I agree that Nintendo is far, far, far too conservative with their money and that they should be using that to develop a large number of games and that their Wii support since Brawl has sucked ass, it's not entirely their fault.

Six months after launch even CEO's of third parties were saying that Wii was a fad, remember?

But Iwata does need to do some moneyhatting to get third parties to develop wanted games for the Wii.

I agree with you on the point that if a mainline, numbered Final Fantasy had been announced two years ago, or Capcom had put Resident Evil 5 on Wii, things would be a lot different now.

Replicant

EXGN said:
Holy shit @ PS3 TOV. Did that just outsell 360's LTD in one day? I honestly didn't think the PS3 port would do so much, I expected a response much more similar to Eternal Sonata.

Eternal Sonata seems to be an exception (most likely due to crappy port) because even Enchant Arm's PS3 LTD beats 360.

ITA84

I don't know what to think of SaGa numbers, is it good or bad? Where do we usually get shipment percents?

pseudocaesar said:
Isnt Dragona female?
Dont hurt me

It's AniHawk, that was part of the (awesome) joke.

Top Bottom