• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 23, 2023 (May 29 - Jun 04)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Honestly, SF 6 did nothing wrong. You know the single biggest mistake Capcom made for it not to be selling well in Japan now?

Not releasing on the system with 90% of the marketshare in Japan right now. In the Nintendo Switch.

You... can't expect your game to move units if you launch the game for less than 10% of your potential audience. And it may be less than that, since there may be a lot of scalping going around.
Alot of 3rd party games dont sell on the switch.
you hardly see any company invest AAA 3rd party on the switch.

Switch userbase, ESPECIALLY in Japan, only play certain games, that is the problem.

they only play a certain franchise.....other 3rd party IP is not going to do shit lol, even JRPG is not safe......except for the few ones like xenogears

Switch games sells alot, but it is always the same IP, mario...zelda....metroid..., which all IP owned by Nintendo, so technically Nintendo has their own "unique" fanbase, which is hard to enter by other console competitors.

This is why PS and Xbox consider each other competitor, but never include the switch. The fanbase is too different.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned

Switch userbase, ESPECIALLY in Japan, only play certain games, that is the problem.

they only play a certain franchise.....other 3rd party IP is not going to do shit lol, even JRPG is not safe......except for the few ones like xenogears

Switch games sells alot, but it is always the same IP, mario...zelda....metroid..., which all IP owned by Nintendo, so technically Nintendo has their own "unique" fanbase, which is hard to enter by other console competitors.

This is why PS and Xbox consider each other competitor, but never include the switch. The fanbase is too different.
Switch is a secondary console for main systems. People buy it for their big games.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Switch is a secondary console for main systems. People buy it for their big games.
Yes my friends this what makes me mad bout Nintendos makes one good game every years but its best ever so you have to goes back
oh-yeah-mrw.gif

Nautilus

Banned

First of all, Xenogears is a 23 year old gane. I know you meant Xenoblade, but that just goes to show that you don't really know what you are talking about.

Secondly, there are plenty of games that sell well on the system. Obviously not every game is going to be a success, and Nintendo games sell well because they are Nintendo games(So all of them got brand recognition, big marketing, are decade old IPs, etc). But most games that have a Switch version sell best on the system: Megaman Battle Network collection? Best on Switch. Gust games? Best on Switch. Even the late ports of Bandai Namco anime games are selling best on Switch. Its late now so kinda tired on thinking of more examples, but most of the multiplatform releases that has a Switch version sell best on Switch. The only reason we don't know if most AAA japanese games would sell much more on Switch, is because most AAA japanese games either never launched on Switch, or haven't done so ever since the Wii or before. There is no data.

But its more of a matter of common sense. Between Switch and PS5, there are roughly 34 million consoles in Japan. Of those, 30 million are on Switch. So when a game like Street Fighter 6 launches to an audience of 4 million users instead of 30 million or 34 million, its more likely than not that it will bomb. Even if the game was a killer app, it would have a hard time moving units.

And this has nothing to do with that BS and nonsense about Nintendo not being a competitor. Phil Spencer, head honcho of Xbox, admitted as much that Nintendo is during that interview about the fiasco that Redfall was. You guys really need to stop with this lie. But more than that, who that plays Zelda wouldn't play the Witcher? That plays Metroid Prime that wouldn't play Halo? That plays Mario but won't play Astrobot? Everytime a LATE port of an AAA game comes to the Switch, it seels well. DOOM 4? Sold well. Witcher 3? Way more than a million.

Japanese developers, if they want to sell in Japan, need to release their games on the system that japanese gamers play. And that is the Switch.

Nautilus

Banned
No its not. The only reason that people need other consoles other than the Switch is because a lot of third party games aren't there. And that's, most of the time, simply due to tecnical constraints.

Once the Switch 2 launches, most of those problems should go away.

Nautilus

Banned
Why aren't playstation owners buying games?
Probably because a lot of those consoles aren't evenbeen bought to be used by japanese. The yen is currently weak, so it makes it especially good to scalp.

lBut we don't know 100% the reason. Scalping might be one of the reason, but the problem is probably more complicated than that.

Raonak

Banned
Lol, let's not kid ourselves. SF6 was not gonna sell well on switch.

Japan is one of the very few places on earth where arcades are still alive and kicking, which is where most of the jpn SF audience will play.

Nautilus

Banned
Lol, let's not kid ourselves. SF6 was not gonna sell well on switch.
Well, it clearly doesn't sell well on Sony systems. We have data to say that as a fact. But SF 6 never released on the Switch, so we will never know if it would sell well or not.

I do 100% believe that Capcom will make sure to include most if not all of their backlog on the Switch 2 when it launches, alongside almost all of their new releases, but that's still far away.

Raonak

Banned
I do 100% believe that Capcom will make sure to include most if not all of their backlog on the Switch 2 when it launches, alongside almost all of their new releases, but that's still far away.

Yeah... good luck with that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

A next gen switch is still a generation behind in specs, developers still ain't gonna prioritise it for new releases.

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah... good luck with that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

A next gen switch is still a generation behind in specs, developers still ain't gonna prioritise it for new releases.
The Series S exists, which is much weaker than the X and a PS5, and yet it gets all the games the Series X gets. If the Switch 2 is close enough in real world performance to it, assuming that the Switch 2 sells similary to the Switch(That is headed to be the best selling console of all time), it would just be bad business to ignore it. And Capcom, Square, etc are not known to be bad at their business.

Nautilus

Banned
What's wrong with the Japan numbers for SF6?
Even if we assume only a 50% digital split, that means it would've sold about 65k in Japan week 1.
Considering the game is also on PC and Xbox, Japanese numbers for SF6 don't seem particularly low compared to the worldwide 1 million sales..
Because it is low no matter how you cut it. And putting into perspective: Including digital, it probably did as well as SF 5. Which I think we can all assume is a vastly inferior game when compared(at launch) with SF 6.

So a higher quality game should have done better than a lower quality game, but at best it did the same, and at worst it opened lower. Thus, it underperformed.Hard.(In Japan)

drganon

The Series S exists, which is much weaker than the X and a PS5, and yet it gets all the games the Series X gets. If the Switch 2 is close enough in real world performance to it, assuming that the Switch 2 sells similary to the Switch(That is headed to be the best selling console of all time), it would just be bad business to ignore it. And Capcom, Square, etc are not known to be bad at their business.
Its not that much weaker and if you honestly think they're going to cram that kind of hardware into a portable and keep it cheap ( Nintendo isn't going to sell it at a loss), I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Nautilus

Banned
Its not that much weaker and if you honestly think they're going to cram that kind of hardware into a portable and keep it cheap ( Nintendo isn't going to sell it at a loss), I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
It is much weaker, at least in terms of Teraflops.

And who said that the Switch 2 is going to be cheap? I personally believe that the Switch 2 is going to cost, in the best case scenario, 400 dollars. And there is a very real chance that it costs 500 dollars.

Considering that the Switch sold what it did with never cutting the cost of its console, and having a Oled version that costs 350 dollars, that performs the same as the base model and is doing really well, a 400 to 500 dollars Switch 2 that is an improvement over everything the Switch already is will do just fine.

drganon

It is much weaker, at least in terms of Teraflops.

And who said that the Switch 2 is going to be cheap? I personally believe that the Switch 2 is going to cost, in the best case scenario, 400 dollars. And there is a very real chance that it costs 500 dollars.

Considering that the Switch sold what it did with never cutting the cost of its console, and having a Oled version that costs 350 dollars, that performs the same as the base model and is doing really well, a 400 to 500 dollars Switch 2 that is an improvement over everything the Switch already is will do just fine.
Nintendo hasn't released a console at the same price as its competitors in almost 30 years. They also haven't released hardware comparable to its competitors in 20.

If you honestly think a 400-500 portable is going to do sell as well as the switch, you're beyond crazy.

Nautilus

Banned
Nintendo hasn't released a console at the same price as its competitors in almost 30 years. They also haven't released hardware comparable to its competitors in 20.

If you honestly think a 400-500 portable is going to do sell as well as the switch, you're beyond crazy.
Nintendo also hadn't had a success like the Switch, in terms of hardware numbers and software numbers, in decades(ever since the DS, in fact!)

So if the Switch 2 properly shows and delivers its value to the consumers, adding it to the goodwill and newfound fanbase created with the Switch(And not messing up anything on the way, especially when it comes to its games), I can easily see them pulling off a more expensive console.

Plus, everyone said a 300 dollars Switch was DOA, and look at where we are.

drganon

Nintendo also hadn't had a success like the Switch, in terms of hardware numbers and software numbers, in decades(ever since the DS, in fact!)

So if the Switch 2 properly shows and delivers its value to the consumers, adding it to the goodwill and newfound fanbase created with the Switch(And not messing up anything on the way, especially when it comes to its games), I can easily see them pulling off a more expensive console.

Plus, everyone said a 300 dollars Switch was DOA, and look at where we are.
You're forgetting the part where Nintendo hates selling things at a loss. The last time they did that was with the wii u, not exactly a success. They're not going to be able to sell something at 400,have it be comparable to a ps5 or whatever, and still make a profit per unit. The steam deck( but still less powerful than current gen consoles) is more powerful than the switch and they're losing money on each unit.

Regardless, we're going way off topic, so im done here. See you next week.

Nautilus

Banned
You're forgetting the part where Nintendo hates selling things at a loss. The last time they did that was with the wii u, not exactly a success. They're not going to be able to sell something at 400,have it be comparable to a ps5 or whatever, and still make a profit per unit. The steam deck( but still less powerful than current gen consoles) is more powerful than the switch and they're losing money on each unit.

Regardless, we're going way off topic, so im done here. See you next week.
Who said that they were going to sell at a loss? Unlike the Steam Deck, which is a niche product, Nintendo will buy parts to produce tens of millions of devices and probably get a hefty discount on them.

Plus, they can charge 450 or 500 dollars if 400 ends up not being enough.

Don't see how off topic this is, as we are discussing the future of Japan console market, but fine. If you don't have any arguments left other than insults, that's a good decision to make.

See you next week!

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Who said that they were going to sell at a loss? Unlike the Steam Deck, which is a niche product, Nintendo will buy parts to produce tens of millions of devices and probably get a hefty discount on them.

Don't see how off topic this is, as we are discussing the future of Japan console market, but fine. If you don't have any arguments left other than insults, that's a good decision to make.

See you next week!
I agrees because Switch OLED is the mosts expensive and killing the other Switch SKUS we lives in a time where everyones buying high end so we miiiiighht see a decent powerful Switch 2.

Are all the third parties gonna be lined up to do business with Nintendos though? I doubts it Sony has them on locks down we see all the moneyhats from the Activision threads

See you next week!

Unless they launch with multiple SKUs, it will be $400 max.

Nautilus

Banned
I agrees because Switch OLED is the mosts expensive and killing the other Switch SKUS we lives in a time where everyones buying high end so we miiiiighht see a decent powerful Switch 2.

Are all the third parties gonna be lined up to do business with Nintendos though? I doubts it Sony has them on locks down we see all the moneyhats from the Activision threads
Well, obviously whoever Sony moneyhats, it won't be there day one and just when the exclusivity ends.

But Capcom has been pretty active in getting as many games on it as they can. Even the ones that they can't make it run, they bring cloud versions(which sucks). So if power stops being a problem, they will be there. Same for Bandai Namco, Square, Project CD Red, Ubisoft, etc which have all been pretty supportive on the games that they can make it run on the Switch.

I don't agree, but only time will tell if I'm wrong or right.

I have no doubts that they'll target hardware that's good enough to get ports of modern third party console games and balance that out with battery life and affordability.

What motivating factor would they have to push things further than that? Are we missing some sales data that would suggest that they need to drastically increase the power to sell more games? Do you think Nintendo is reading this thread and feel obligated to prove a few random posters wrong?

Nautilus

Banned
I have no doubts that they'll target hardware that's good enough to get ports of modern third party console games and balance that out with battery life and affordability.

What motivating factor would they have to push things further than that? Are we missing some sales data that would suggest that they need to drastically increase the power to sell more games? Do you think Nintendo is reading this thread and feel obligated to prove a few random posters wrong?
?

I don't understand what you are getting at. Being close to the Series S in terms of real world performance is more in line with what you said: To get third parties on board. And honestly, I also believe its the "consequence" of simply using a more modern and recent chip. It has nothing to do with proving people that have a grudge against Nintendo wrong.

zedinen

PS5 hold onnnnnn

eej9eB4.jpg

AhgqdQe.jpeg

Monster Hunter Rise is a system seller for PS5

2023年5月のPS Storeダウンロードランキング! PS5®は『モンスターハンターライズ』が第1位!

qsik7vm.jpeg

Third biggest market in the world and the drop off to fourth place is gigantic. The country also spends more per capita on games than any other country in the world.

Japan is very relevant. There will be more PS4s, PS5s and Switches sold in Japan than in any other country except the US.

The Japanese console market is too small to commit significant resources.

Sales in Japan

Bandai Namco ¥767 bn ($5.5 bn)

Nintendo ¥365 bn ($2.6 bn)

79zn8SL.jpg

E7Imraz.jpg

Which is why Nintendo stock is underperforming

YTD
Nikkei 225 25.46%

Sega Sammy 46.10%

Kadokawa 43.73%

Sony 34.43%

Capcom 32.07%

Konami 30.71%

Bandai Namco 22.87%

Nintendo 11.14%

Square Enix 7.12%

Sakura

If you ignore the sales comparison of SFV with was a terrible SF overall... and SFV launch in one plataform.
Digital sales were smaller 7 years ago. I think it is likely that overall sales of SF6 are pretty similar to the sales of SFV.
Regardless, my point was it is weird to say Japanese sales are bad and worldwide sales are good, when Japanese sales are in line with worldwide sales.

Yeah, SFV wasn't good, but the average person wouldn't have known that until they actually bought it (especially when we are talking about week 1 sales). Likewise, people wouldn't know that SF6 is better until they buy it.
I don't think there is anything strange about SFV and SF6 having similar launch numbers.

Fake

Digital sales were smaller 7 years ago. I think it is likely that overall sales of SF6 are pretty similar to the sales of SFV.
Regardless, my point was it is weird to say Japanese sales are bad and worldwide sales are good, when Japanese sales are in line with worldwide sales.

Yeah, SFV wasn't good, but the average person wouldn't have known that until they actually bought it (especially when we are talking about week 1 sales). Likewise, people wouldn't know that SF6 is better until they buy it.
I don't think there is anything strange about SFV and SF6 having similar launch numbers.

But the question is if the game is getting bad sales on Japan, with it is.
As you mention, today digital sales are far more stronger than when SFV launch, so another point to SFV vs SFVI sales ratio. And another advantage is that SFVI launch in a huge selection of consoles in comparison with SFV.

This is a Famitsu thread after all, so we're talking about Japan sales I suppouse? As soon as the others sales threads get sales figures, we can discuss differents sales around the world.

Woopah

Except that Bayonetta doesn't have a history of selling tens of million of units in previous entries, while SF completely does, as past Street Fighter games did. Also, differently from Bayonetta, Street Fighter is a premier game in its genre, so some expectation comes with the territory. And SF 6 did not change that spectation.

So I don't understand why the surprise when me and most people expected more out of SF 6 release. Was it really that much to expect the PS5 do 50k this week, especially with the glowing reviews, or at least be a tiny bit higher than last week, like 40k? Don't you assume not only that to be a viable option, but also the logical one, given the assumed importance of a mainline SF entry?

And given that SF 6 is a better game by basically every metric, don't you find reasonable to believe that SF 6 sales numbers, at least the launch ones, to be dissapointing, as a higher quality product should have sold much better?And if they are going to sell broadly similar, isn't it reasonable to also assume that that is dissapointing?
Past history doesn't matter. Prestige on internet forums doesn't matter. It only matters whether the game is big enough to push a significant number of people to buy the platform when it comes out. SF is not that big a franchise.

Expecting a 12k rise in hardware sales because of a Street Fighter game is indeed far far far too much. SFV didn't have anywhere near that impact on PS4, so we should not expect SFVI to have that impact on PS5.

You are assuming far too much importance on Street Fighter when it comes to Japanese sales. Its a Bayonetta-level franchise there.
Yes, this is very true. Capcom will be much happier with this entry's performance.
It it selling faster than the past one, probably thanks to it being on more platforms.

So a couple of things:

1. A lot of third party games come to Switch in Japan and sell better on the platform. They don't reach the highest Nintendo levels, but that's true for 90%+ of games.
2. Sony showed investors this graph showing their two major competitors. Fairly certain the red line is Nintendo
Based on what? It will be a secondary system for some gamers and the primary system for others, just like PS5 or XBS.
Unless they launch with multiple SKUs, it will be $400 max.
With the way OLED is selling and how it has the lowest profit margin, $400 is the absolute minimum it will be.
But the question is if the game is getting bad sales on Japan, with it is.
As you mention, today digital sales are far more stronger than when SFV launch, so another point to SFV vs SFVI sales ratio. And another advantage is that SFVI launch in a huge selection of consoles in comparison with SFV.

This is a Famitsu thread after all, so we're talking about Japan sales I suppouse? As soon as the others sales threads get sales figures, we can discuss differents sales around the world.
In the UK its first week retail sales were around 6k-7k. I think it'll do better in the Americas.

eej9eB4.jpg

AhgqdQe.jpeg

Monster Hunter Rise is a system seller for PS5

2023年5月のPS Storeダウンロードランキング! PS5®は『モンスターハンターライズ』が第1位!

qsik7vm.jpeg

The Japanese console market is too small to commit significant resources.

Sales in Japan

Bandai Namco ¥767 bn ($5.5 bn)

Nintendo ¥365 bn ($2.6 bn)

79zn8SL.jpg

E7Imraz.jpg

Which is why Nintendo stock is underperforming

YTD
Nikkei 225 25.46%

Sega Sammy 46.10%

Kadokawa 43.73%

Sony 34.43%

Capcom 32.07%

Konami 30.71%

Bandai Namco 22.87%

Nintendo 11.14%

Square Enix 7.12%
Both Bandai Namco and Nintendo's financials show how significant the Japanese market is, which proves exactly what me and Walter are saying. Now I do agree with you that in 90%+ of cases, it doesn't make sense to target a game at just the US or just Japan or just France. You should attempt to sell your game in many countries, not just one.

Nintendo's stock price is based on its performance globally. It has basically nothing to do with the size of the Japanese market and I'm not sure why you would think that

Nautilus

Banned
Past history doesn't matter. Prestige on internet forums doesn't matter. It only matters whether the game is big enough to push a significant number of people to buy the platform when it comes out. SF is not that big a franchise.

Expecting a 12k rise in hardware sales because of a Street Fighter game is indeed far far far too much. SFV didn't have anywhere near that impact on PS4, so we should not expect SFVI to have that impact on PS5.

You are assuming far too much importance on Street Fighter when it comes to Japanese sales. Its a Bayonetta-level franchise there.

It it selling faster than the past one, probably thanks to it being on more platforms.

So a couple of things:

1. A lot of third party games come to Switch in Japan and sell better on the platform. They don't reach the highest Nintendo levels, but that's true for 90%+ of games.
2. Sony showed investors this graph showing their two major competitors. Fairly certain the red line is Nintendo

Based on what? It will be a secondary system for some gamers and the primary system for others, just like PS5 or XBS.

With the way OLED is selling and how it has the lowest profit margin, $400 is the absolute minimum it will be.

In the UK its first week retail sales were around 6k-7k. I think it'll do better in the Americas.

Both Bandai Namco and Nintendo's financials show how significant the Japanese market is, which proves exactly what me and Walter are saying. Now I do agree with you that in 90%+ of cases, it doesn't make sense to target a game at just the US or just Japan or just France. You should attempt to sell your game in many countries, not just one.

Nintendo's stock price is based on its performance globally. It has basically nothing to do with the size of the Japanese market and I'm not sure why you would think that
Past history doesn't matter? So we shouldn't have any expectation that the next Zelda shouldn't at the absolute worst, sell at least 1 million in Japan given the past success in Japan? That it can perform as little as 1k or as high as 10 million because the strenght and recognition of IP now suddenly play no part in selling a game in a said franchise? What are we now, rewriting history? And if that was true, if what you said was factually true, then why did you argument earlier in the thread that SF VI performance is pkay due to it selling about as well as SF V, if you just said that past history of previous entries don't matter? You are contradicting yourself.

And SF doesn't simply have prestige in gaming forum. Even my sister, who hates gaming, knows who Chun Li is. Or that my friends who don't game knows who Ryu and Ken are. THAT was the impact Street Fighter, especially SF 2, had. So yes, prestige and being in peoples minds absolutely does matter. It makes marketing a game that much easier. SF isn't a Bayonetta level franchise in any metric, especially in its home turf. It shouldn't be, anyway. These sales are not because SF is irrelevant, these sales are because Capcom didn't release the game in the platform were 90% of ALL gamers game in.

And I expected a bump. Be it a 2k bump, or a 12k bump, as I had written. Don't twist my words.

About the last part, I'll repeat the question I have asked you that you didn't respond to:

"And given that SF 6 is a better game by basically every metric, don't you find reasonable to believe that SF 6 sales numbers, at least the launch ones, to be dissapointing, as a higher quality product should have sold much better?And if they are going to sell broadly similar, isn't it reasonable to also assume that that is dissapointing?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom