• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2011 (Apr 11 - Apr 17)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
lunchwithyuzo said:
Segregating by 3rd paty titles alone makes no sense when looking at sales potential for a game like Dragon Quest. You have to look at high end sales, overall, and in that area Wii's more than proven itself with several multimillion sellers, while PS3 can't seem to manage even one. DQ's sales potential is undoubtedly higher on Wii in Japan, and that's in addition to whatever sweetheart deal Nintendo struck for the western release. Horii made the right call.
Each and every point you made for Wii over PS3 can also be made for DS, PSP, DS/PSP over Wii, or PS3/Wii over Wii, so where is the logic in that? Also, no million sellers? Did you miss FFXIII's release? Why even bring up the strawman that is a PS3 exclusive DQX when no one was considering that as a possibility?

I completely agree that DQX will be fine on Wii, will probably come out exclusively on Wii and will probably sell in the 3 million range. There's no need to port it to other platforms like there was with FFXIII (for the sake of western sales), so I don't think they will (simply due to the nature of the series' development). But to act like there wouldn't be advantages in doing so is ridiculous.

Sage00 said:
Each and every point you made for Wii over PS3 can also be made for DS, PSP, DS/PSP over Wii, or PS3/Wii over Wii, so where is the logic in that? Also, no million sellers? Did you miss FFXIII's release?

I completely agree that DQX will be fine on Wii, will probably come out exclusively on Wii and will probably sell in the 3 million range. There's no need to port it to other platforms like there was with FFXIII (for the sake of western sales), so I don't think they will (simply due to the nature of the series' development). But to act like there wouldn't be advantages in doing so is ridiculous.
Wii has more diversity and number of multimillion sellers than PSP actually. I'm not arguing handhelds though, just consoles.

And I said multimillion sellers. Which is certinly something FFXIII should've been, but in reality wasn't. If anything, FFXIII should show why PS3 would be the less optimal console for DQX.

Sage00 said:
Each and every point you made for Wii over PS3 can also be made for DS, PSP, DS/PSP over Wii, or PS3/Wii over Wii, so where is the logic in that? Also, no million sellers? Did you miss FFXIII's release?
He did say multi-million, so FF XIII narrowly misses it so far. That leaves DS with a dozen examples, Wii with 8, and PSP with two Monster Hunters.

onken

JoshuaJSlone said:
He did say multi-million, so FF XIII narrowly misses it so far. That leaves DS with a dozen examples, Wii with 8, and PSP with two Monster Hunters.

How about third party million sellers :p

onken

lunchwithyuzo said:
Then Wii and PS3 each have one. Wii's met it's sales targets though, while PS3's didn't.

I'm fairly sure Capcom eventually revealed MHTri was 200k short of expectations. What were SE's expectations for FF13?

onken said:
I'm fairly sure Capcom eventually revealed MHTri was 200k short of expectations. What were SE's expectations for FF13?
Nope, in Capcom's IR reports they said Tri met sales expectations in Japan, and even exceeded subscription revenue targets.

We don't know what FFXIII's targets were, but Wada said they missed them in Japan. Fortunately western sales exceeded expectations though, so they still hit their worldwide goal.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
lunchwithyuzo said:
Then Wii and PS3 each have one. Wii's met it's sales targets though, while PS3's didn't.
Do you have a bag full of these different sets of goalposts? :p

I'm sure DQX PS3 would 'meet its expectations'. So would DQX on NeoGeo Pocket. That's just a rather convenient way to avoid the fact that PS3's best selling third party games sold 800k more than Wii's.

Not that this is relevant in any way at all to the actual situation with Dragon Quest, though. :/

onken

lunchwithyuzo said:
Nope, in Capcom's IR reports they said Tri met sales expectations in Japan, and even exceeded subscription revenue targets.

We don't know what FFXIII's targets were, but Wada said they missed them in Japan. Fortunately western sales exceeded expectations though, so they still hit their worldwide goal.

Reeeally I'm sure I remember reading its target was 1.25m.

Sage00 said:
Do you have a bag full of these different sets of goalposts? :p

I'm sure DQX PS3 would 'meet its expectations'. So would DQX on NeoGeo Pocket. That's just a rather convenient way to avoid the fact that PS3's best selling third party games sold 800k more than Wii's.

Not that this is relevant in any way at all to the actual situation with Dragon Quest, though. :/
Different goalposts? You don't think console MH and FF should have different expectations and measurements for success? How about we compare each to how they sold on PS2? ;)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
lunchwithyuzo said:
Different goalposts? You don't think console MH and FF should have different expectations and measurements for success? How about we compare each to how they sold on PS2? ;)
I'm sure you know fine well why that isn't a fair comparison, and neither would it be to cross-compare with handhelds despite your insistence that consoles exist in a vacuum. :p

My god, what is this discussion even about anymore? How did we get to this? :(

Sage00 said:
I'm sure you know fine well why that isn't a fair comparison, and neither would it be to cross-compare with handhelds despite your insistence that consoles exist in a vacuum. :p

My god, what is this discussion even about anymore? How did we get to this? :(
We got to this point because someone suggested titles like Tales or Musou would make a better point for comparison sales wise with DQ than games like Mario or Wii Sports. And I agree, we should get back to reality.

onken

Kyoufu

Capcom are just being silly there with their expectations. Wii version did fine, best of any console version to date, and for a third party game on the Wii it performed really well (in Japan).

Still think they'd do better on PS3, the only system they are neglecting for MonHun.

onken

Kyoufu said:
Capcom are just being silly there with their expectations. Wii version did fine, best of any console version to date,

The problem with this comparison is that the MH franchise was nowhere near as big back in the PS2 days, so a huge hike this time round was a total given. The question is, was the hike big enough?

KingDizzi

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Capcom are just being silly there with their expectations. Wii version did fine, best of any console version to date, and for a third party game on the Wii it performed really well (in Japan).

Still think they'd do better on PS3, the only system they are neglecting for MonHun.

Very silly comparing the PS2/Wii versions for obvious reasons. MH3 being on Wii made sense for many reasons with one being that Nintendo seemed to have got a deal where they would advertise the game for Capcom in the west. The main one was that they could use Wii assets for the game that mattered most, MHF3, why bother spening a large amount of dev money on a PS3 version when you could do it for cheaper on Wii and use the assets as well for the game which mattered most? Capcom got a sweet deal with that game, Nintendo tried their best bombarding the tele with MH3 adverts here in the UK but shit did not work out.

Jokeropia

KingDizzi said:
Nintendo tried their best bombarding the tele with MH3 adverts here in the UK but shit did not work out.
MH3 had a pretty decent run in the UK charts as I recall, and certainly better than all the previous games. The same goes for western sales overall, I believe.

Alrus

Didn't Capcom state they were happy about Western sales of Mh Tri? Sure it wasn't a massive seller, but it still did pretty good for its genre (and it sold like 200k in Germany alone for some reason). It's still the best selling MH in the west. Nintendo ridiculously aggressive advertising probably helped.

I'm not getting the 'PS3 ecosystem' (lol) joke, so I'll just skip that post. And for those wondering, Monster Hunter Tri sold 1.8 million copies worldwide (by July 2010).

Sage00 said:
But to act like there wouldn't be advantages in doing so is ridiculous.
So basically no more exclusives? :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
From top 1000:

184. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) {2009.08.01} - 56.499 / 1.015.014
359. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) {2007.02.15} - 24.525 / 1.022.607
467. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) {2007.11.01} - 16.554 / 1.018.602
522. [NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo) {2005.12.29} - 14.401 / 5.006.400

Sage00 said:
But to act like there wouldn't be advantages in doing so is ridiculous.

No, it's not, because there are no real advantages. The cost/benefit picture for a port is that you spend additional development money to create the second version (as well as experience a lot of difficult-to-quantify "drag" costs in terms of having to manage multiple SKUs, correctly predict performance of each such SKU, deal with multiple platform-holders and lotcheck processes, etc.) in exchange for expanding the market: some people who don't own platform one will now become potential customers and buy the game on platform two.

In this particular case, all those porting cos are there, but with no benefit o them. There is not, meaningfully speaking, any serious market of PS3 owners in Japan who do not have access to a Wii and would not choose to buy one to play Dragon Quest. No new markets are opened up by such a move; no excluded customers are brought into the fold. That's why the whole idea is so silly: DQ is going to sell 3-million-something copies on Wii, and a port to PS3 might relocate a portion of those sales but would be very unlikely to significantly expand them, especially to the level needed to counteract the costs of going multiplatform.

That's not to say there are no possible platform strategies for DQX that ould have been better than the current one. They could've developed it for DS from the start, maybe gotten it out faster, and potentially sold another 4m. They could've held off and waited until next generation in the hopes that a better "clear winner" emerged. But given the (not unreasonable) decision to make the game for Wii in the first place, there's also no reason for them to shift their strategy now.

donny2112

donny2112 said:
That's a mighty low bar you're setting for 3DS/Wii 2 to surpass.

To put some numbers behind that, see the following graph based on the data in my database (i.e. Famitsu, with some gaps, but probably pretty close).

JPN3rdPartySales.png

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Prediction League (Apr 25 - May 1)

- Any title missing MC Top20 will be taken out of the predictions.
- Deadline is Wednesday 27th when Famitsu Top10 is posted for the Apr 18-24 week.

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) -
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) -
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) -

Brazil said:
I know, but I don't see a link.

Could you give me one?
No other site has it, but a member from here does.

Spiegel

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 70000
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 50000
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 67000

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 78,901
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 32,109
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 65,432

Kenka

Chris1964 said:
From top 1000:

359. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) {2007.02.15} - 24.525 / 1.022.607

Wowza. That is some nice numbers we have here. Amazing how Brain Training just stretched its way to 5M.

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 45.000
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 32.000
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 51.000

Takao

Banned
The previous two Patapons eventually crawled past 100k, right? I wonder how a legitimately good SCEJ effort at making a community based game will work. White Knight Chronicles dropped like a rock but that was apparently trash, so who knows.

Chris1964 said:
From top 1000:

Could you post Animal Crossing Wild World numbers? Is City Folk charting?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 95000
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 60000
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 75000

AniHawk

probably the last time we'll ever see the gba.

pokemon emerald: 7,742 / 1,916,505

also, the oldest game on the list.

Grimmy

Banned
Falcom titles from the Media Create Top 1000:

Eiyuu Densetsu Zero no Kiseki - 126,007
Ys 7 - 70,280
Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki Alternative Saga - 44,220
Ys: The Oath in Felghana - 30,218
Eiyuu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki Super Plus Set (all 3 titles) - 28,298
Eiyuu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki FC Best Selection - 14,787

onken

Predictions

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 80k
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 40k
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 60k

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Estimates from azalyn

[NDS] Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (Pokemon Co.) {2011.04.21} - 35.000
[PS3] SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs 4 (SCE) {2011.04.21} - 15.000
[PSP] GachiTora! Abarenbou Kyoushi in High School (Spike) {2011.04.21} - 15.000
[360] Otomedius X (Konami) {2011.04.21} - 12.000

donny2112 said:
To put some numbers behind that, see the following graph based on the data in my database (i.e. Famitsu, with some gaps, but probably pretty close).

JPN3rdPartySales.png
Wow, no wonder the third party industry is struggling in Japan

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 56.789
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 45.678
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 43.210

At least some of upcoming Wii games are dated.
''Nintendo will be releasing one Wii title a month starting in May. The schedule is: Pandora's Tower (May), 007 Golden Eye (June), Wiimote Plus Variety (July), and Rhythm Heaven (summer). Zelda Skyward Sword, Kirby and Just Dance 2 are all due in calendar 2011 too.''

thefro

Chuck Norris said:
Wow, no wonder the third party industry is struggling in Japan

On consoles... they moved a lot of efforts to DS/PSP.

Chris1964 said:
At least some of upcoming Wii games are dated.
''Nintendo will be releasing one Wii title a month starting in May. The schedule is: Pandora's Tower (May), 007 Golden Eye (June), Wiimote Plus Variety (July), and Rhythm Heaven (summer). Zelda Skyward Sword, Kirby and Just Dance 2 are all due in calendar 2011 too.''

The Wii comeback in Japan when Just Dance 2 drops is going to be pretty funny to watch.

jax (old)

Banned
Chris1964 said:
01. / 00. [PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Hakai-hen (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.14} - 307.019 / NEW
06. / 00. [3DS] Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo) {2011.04.14} - 26.554 / NEW

wandered in. 307k vs 26k.

ouch?

also didn't expect the plethora of PSP games in the top 10

duckroll

Really bad predictions:

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 20k
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 40k
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 80k

Top Bottom