• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2012 (Oct 15 - Oct 21)

wsippel

Banned
Again, main installments of Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and Resident Evil are going to be in the next Microsoft and Sony consoles. If you think otherwise you are delusional.

These games alone will guarantee that PS4 won't be the new Vita
You do realize that all the franchises you mentioned switched platforms at least once, yes? Not saying it's going to happen again soon, but it's definitely too early to rule anything out.

Celine

You do realize that all the franchises you mentioned switched platforms at least once, yes? Not saying it's going to happen again soon, but it's definitely too early to rule anything out.
I believe what he said is that the next iterations in those big budget franchises are unlikely to be exclusive to a single platform.
"Moneyhat" from one of the big three or region specific circumstance (I'm thinking Dragon Quest and Japan) could help a system to get a third-party (time?) game exclusive.
However the costs to develop MGS,RE or FF are so high and american and european sales are prominent enough that we will likely see them on PS4,Xbox3 (and maybe WiiU,PC).

Takao

Banned
Microsoft should release the new Xbox in Japan as MSX. Rekindle some nostalgia, drop a tainted brand, and you can technically still say it's a Microsoft Xbox!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Since I'm a big fan of qualitative analysis, for each of those series, why do you feel they switched platforms, and what do you feel would cause them to switch again?

If the first reason is different than the second reason, why do you feel the second reason is a stronger incentive than the first, assuming the first is true of staying on their existing course.

Fabrik

Banned
Again, main installments of Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and Resident Evil are going to be in the next Microsoft and Sony consoles. If you think otherwise you are delusional.

That's only 3 games for the first 2+ years. I don't think it means much anymore, particularly Final Fantasy.

Is MGS:GZ next-gen or current gen?

wsippel

Banned
Since I'm a big fan of qualitative analysis, for each of those series, why do you feel they switched platforms, and what do you feel would cause them to switch again?

If the first reason is different than the second reason, why do you feel the second reason is a stronger incentive than the first, assuming the first is true of staying on their existing course.
We know why they switched platforms: Money. That includes everything from installed bases and distribution costs (cartridges vs. CDs) to moneyhats. And yes, if it happens again, it would be for the same reason.

You sound like Sony's upper management. Of course PS4's relevance is a foregone conclusion, just build it and they'll come. ;)

Spiegel

And I hope you do realize that these are all huge, multiplatform, worldwide franchises now and the industry is different than 10/15 years ago.

And I'm not saying that these can't also be on WiiU.

You sound like Sony's upper management. Of course PS4's relevance is a foregone conclusion, just build it and they'll come. ;)

Well if it wasn't for MS than yes Sony would be dumb to assume they would automatically get support. However, because MS exists and are as big as they are in the west the multiplatform situation is not likely to change meaning PS4 unless it bombs harder than anything we've seen (including Vita) will get those multiplatform games. Nintendo nor 3rd parties have shown any chance of this changing.
And I'm not saying that these can't also be on WiiU

This is a big one. Do people honestly think Wii U is going to receive some crazy barrage of exclusives from Japanese 3rd party makers when they could easily make more money on multiplatform development? Like I said it will take a spectacular bomb of crazy proportions for Japanese 3rd party makers to not develop for PS4. And please don't bring up 3DS vs Vita because we all know the handheld situation is much different.

wsippel

Banned
And I hope you do realize that these are all huge, multiplatform, worldwide franchises now and the industry is different than 10/15 years ago.

And I'm not saying that these can't also be on WiiU.
But if Wii U gets all the big franchises, even if they're not exclusive, PS4 could certainly be another Vita. What's the point in getting one when you have both the big multiplatform games and Nintendo's first party games on Wii U?

Well if it wasn't for MS than yes Sony would be dumb to assume they would automatically get support. However, because MS exists and are as big as they are in the west the multiplatform situation is not likely to change meaning PS4 unless it bombs harder than anything we've seen (including Vita) will get those multiplatform games. Nintendo nor 3rd parties have shown any chance of this changing.
Well, good thing SCE has Microsoft out there to secure content for them. :p

All I'm saying is Japanese support isn't a foregone conclusion for any platform, and thinking otherwise is exactly what led to Vita's current situation. Complacency is a dangerous thing in this industry.

But if Wii U gets all the big franchises, even if they're not exclusive, PS4 could certainly be another Vita. What's the point in getting one when you have both the big multiplatform games and Nintendo's first party games on Wii U?

No because Vita has nothing not even multilplatform game which is why its bombing so hard.

No because Vita has nothing not even multilplatform game which is why its bombing so hard.
Vita has plenty of releases (and yes, much of it's multiplatform), the problem is exactly what it's getting. It needs system driving exclusives.

PS3 essentially had that since 360 was an inherent non-factor in the Japanese market. If Japanese games go Wii U/PS4/Durango multiplatform, Sony loses that though.

Bruno MB

Current big Japanese multiplatform games like Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Resident Evil 6 or Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII aren't even guaranteed on Wii U. So before talking about next-generation games I would rather focus on present titles.

disco

Current big Japanese multiplatform games like Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Resident Evil 6 or Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII aren't even guaranteed on Wii U. So before talking about next-generation games I would rather focus on present titles.

Why is Nintendo's relationship with Konami so bad?

SCE has no reason to do similar things because in most cases, those NoE deals are distribution deals. Koei-Temco, Scamco, and Square Enix all have their own European divisions to handle getting games in stores. It's especially pointless to bring up Kingdom Hearts, and Tekken in a conversation about supporting niche games. SCE does tonnes of co-advertising campaigns for games of that calibre. If you want to bring up distribution deals from ages ago SCEE published many of Scamco's releases as late as 2007 because they didn't have strong European distribution. This included stuff like Tekken, Ridge Racer, and even Xenosaga. Now they do, so SCEE is not involved anymore.

This is an argument that's going no where. I suggested Scamco look to SCE for some support with Tales in the west, and all you do is tell me how much better Nintendo would be at that job. Great, but that doesn't change the fact that the main Tales is on SCE's hardware, and Scamco's willing to keep releasing them even with weak western sales. Just drop this.

The argument was more "oh like, I think that maybe, yeah, perhaps, Sony is helping third parties to jump on Vita! After one year in the market!" without any kind of proofs.

Takao

Banned
The argument was more "oh like, I think that maybe, yeah, perhaps, Sony is helping third parties to jump on Vita! After one year in the market!" without any kind of proofs.

If you don't believe me than that's your problem. The content being localized will speak for itself.

Number of internally developed HD games in the first two years of this generation:

Capcom: 3
Square Enix: 2
Konami: 3
To be more specific:

Capcom
-Dead Rising (360) 2006
-Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (360) 2006

Namco Bandai
-Ridge Racer 6 (360) 2005
-Love Football (360) 2006
-Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) 2006
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (PS3) 2006
-The Idolm@ster (360) 2007
-Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (360) 2007

Konami
-Professional Baseball Spirits 3 (360) 2006
-Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 (360) 2006
-Mahjong Fight Club (PS3) 2006
-Professional Baseball Spirits 4 (PS3) 2007
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (360/PS3) 2007

Sega
-Phantasy Star Universe (360) 2006
-Sega Golf Club (PS3) 2006
-Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) 2006/2007
-Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3) 2007
-Virtua Tennis 3 (PS3) 2007
-Virtua Fighter 5 Online (360) 2007

Square Enix
-Final Fantasy XI: Online (360) 2006

Alcibiades

The Wii U can't arrive soon enough. I wish they had launched in September because the market in Japan could have used the boost, but oh well.

If you don't believe me than that's your problem. The content being localized will speak for itself.

We don't have proof Sony pushed Level-5 and Namco to bring their games on Vita (multi with PSP); we don't have proof that Sony pushed Sega to bring Miku at E3. Etc.

Road

Prediction League November 2012

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Oct 29 to Nov 25):

[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (25 d)- 333,333
[PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (25 d)- 66,666
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (18 d)- 666,666
[PSP] Summon Night 4 (11 d)- 66,666
[PS3] Everybody's Golf 6 (4 d) - 44,444
[PS3+3DS] E.X. Troopers (4 d) - 44,444
[PS3+360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled (4 d) - 222,222
[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate (3 d) - 155,555

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: October, 31st 09:00 am (EDT) (when Famitsu and Media Create publish the weekly sales)

Another prediction: record low participants this month. =P

Better start thinking about the December/Holiday/WiiU predictions...

Multiplatform titles alone are not going to keep a console alive in today's world of "choices". Although indirectly, Sony, MS, and Nintendo are competing against every device that allows you to play videogames. You're going to need exclusive games AND exclusive gaming related experiences(online network, game related events, etc). The Me Too syndrome of doom applies to more than just development companies. It's reality that we might not see 3 consoles after next gen ends

saichi

[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (25 d)- 349,162
[PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (25 d)- 79,827
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (18 d)- 725,948
[PSP] Summon Night 4 (11 d)- 61,722
[PS3] Everybody's Golf 6 (4 d) - 42,183
[PS3+3DS] E.X. Troopers (4 d) - 85,013
[PS3+360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled (4 d) - 237,961
[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate (3 d) - 152,810

Vita seems to have hit its max now - those are still decent software sales but no real Vita boost. 3DS making up more than 50% of hardware sales this year; am not sure theres room for Vita; when the WiiU launches Nintendo is going to have a significant foothold over the gaming market for at least a year.

Great second week for BD.

Are they? Unless it was a very limited print I'm not seeing it, Zero no Kiseki is a very popular series.

Haha, just read a story on Siliconera where Hino promises not to release a Boost version of Little Battlers W. Why would he even say that. Does he think people will now rush out to buy the game? Does he think nobody will remember that comment was made when he announces the 3DS version? Or is he really not going to release a 3DS version?
Either way the joke that is Little Battlers continues. lol

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/3...hey-wont-release-the-little-battlers-w-boost/

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Maybe the 3DS version will just not be called Boost, but, who knows, 3D? Ultimate? Complete?

Is Little Battlers the most comically ineptly handled franchise of modern times? Because seriously, poisoning the well to this scale not a year and a half in is incredible.

Hino follows the Actvision school of franchise management. Milk it till it's dry and then move on to the next big thing. It's just that Level 5 is really clumsy doing that and fails to create that next big thing.

hiska-kun

Prediction League November 2012

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Oct 29 to Nov 25):

[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (25 d)- 329,000
[PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (25 d)- 142,000
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (18 d)- 899,999
[PSP] Summon Night 4 (11 d)- 72,000
[PS3] Everybody's Golf 6 (4 d) - 69,000
[PS3+3DS] E.X. Troopers (4 d) - 42,000
[PS3+360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled (4 d) – 235,000
[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate (3 d) – 190,000

Road

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/121030.pdf

Square Enix revised forecast for the first half of their fiscal year:

- 20% less revenue (~US$190 million less)
- Net loss of US$68 million

Reasons:
The Company made its consolidated results forecasts for the six-month period ended September 30, 2012 on the assumption that releases of major online game services would trigger one-time expenditures of capitalized development costs in the content production account and increase of operation costs, which led to forecasts of operating income, ordinary income and net income of ¥0 respectively (those results in the previous fiscal year ended March 31, 2012 were ¥7,391 million, ¥5,386 million, and ¥3,704 million, respectively). However, major arcade machines that were released during the three month-period ended September 30, 2012 experienced sluggish sales. In addition, sales of a major HD game title have been growing at a slower pace than expected. Another negative factor in the Digital Entertainment business segment is delays of social game service launch, which resulted in decrease of service revenues and up-front expenditure of development costs.

For the entire fiscal year:

- Expected net profit reduced from US$ 113 million to US$ 44 million.

Actual results only next week.

Time to put more people working on FFX|V.

Takao

Banned
We don't have proof Sony pushed Level-5 and Namco to bring their games on Vita (multi with PSP); we don't have proof that Sony pushed Sega to bring Miku at E3. Etc.

SCE has been pushing for third parties to release PSP games on Vita. They've said this publicly. I know SCEA has been pushing third parties to bring over third party content. You're right, in those 2 cases I don't 100% know if SCE's influence was the deciding factor. I simply put 2 and 2 together. LBX W on Vita is precisely what Yoshida said could happen, it's a PSP game on a Vita game card. There's no visual optimization other than rendering at a higher res, no touch screen support, nor second analog stick, etc. SEGA US has never mentioned Miku outside of E3 when people asked them about it, and given it was at SCEA's booth, with SCEA pushing for Vita content once again it's fairly easy to put 2 and 2 together there.

Are they? Unless it was a very limited print I'm not seeing it, Zero no Kiseki is a very popular series.

It's a very glitchy port of a PSP game that's already playable on Vita. It wasn't going to set the world on fire, and because of the glitches I fully expect it to absolutely disappear when the new charts are released tomorrow.

Hino follows the Actvision school of franchise management. Milk it till it's dry and then move on to the next big thing. It's just that Level 5 is really clumsy doing that and fails to create that next big thing.

The thing is, LBX really could've been a big franchise but the handling has, as everyone's said been horrible. It's not a shocker too, once LBX Explosive Boost and LBX W were announced in the same issue of CoroCoro Comic the writing was on the wall. LBX W Boost (I don't believe Hino's lies) may sell well on 3DS, but once again it'll prove to consumers to wait for an expanded release hurting LBX 3's chances.

Are you saying FF14, FF10-5, FF10-4 or is that some kind of weird design for FF15?

Roman numerals are the devil.

It's a stupid distinction Square Enix is doing to make XIV 2.0 look different from vanilla XIV.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, looks like we have new high-profile 3DS support from Square Enix.

How much can we expect DQVIIr to do?

It looks that the users claiming for almost sure additional third party support, also from SE, to the most important console on the Japanese market were rigth.
BTW, looking back at DQ remakes on the DS, we have:

Dragon Quest IV 1,214,610
Dragon Quest V 1,190,404
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie 1,297,344

So, I imagine similar result (between 900k and 1.1 million), more or less.

(I don't know if it will really be a 3d remake or not, and how this can affect the sales)

Oxx

A lot of series' have seen declines going from DS to 3DS (good old Fire Emblem being one exception).

DQVII seems well positioned though coming after a big influx of new 3DS owners and before MH4 (potentially) brings in another wave of users.

Top Bottom