• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

Namco has to be disappointed by Taiko. They should have put it on Wii, it might of actually done better.

Also, possible 200k+ opening for Drakengard 3? Yes please!

L~A

COMGNET: Title - Last Week - This Week

Pokémon X - 91 -> 109

Mario 3D World - 82 -> 104

Monster Hunter 4 - 56 -> 100

Pokémon Y - 74 -> 94

Disney Castle - 40 -> 68

Mirai 2 (Limited Edition) - 29 -> 65

Battle For Money - 32 -> 63

Tomodachi Collection - less than 21 -> 56

Animal Crossing - 23 -> 46

New Mario 2 - less than 21 -> 46

Mario Kart 7 - 27 -> 43

One Piece Red - 33 -> 43

Mirai 2 - less than 21 -> 37

omg mirai reach for the stars

Oh yeah, that looks real good, especially Super Mario 3D World. Mirai 2 is also doing good... guess there were shortages last week, since sales really jumped this time around.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You may remember Song Summoner as one of Square Enix's first iOS games. That game was a paid title, while this one seems very loosely related, and is also f2p.

Song Summoner actually predates iOS. It was originally available for iPods. Yes, iPods, not iPod Touch or anything. The old click-wheel ones.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sony had some early screw-ups with launch pricing, Nintendo had some early screw-ups with lack of software. I will say that Nintendo's problem is going to be harder to resolve though.

Lack of software for Wii U is never going to be resolved. It's not just an early screw-up.

watershed

Banned
I really hope they don't milk this brand new IP dry. They already released 2 versions of the first one. I bet they aim to do the same with Bravely Second...

I really hope they don't milk this brand new IP dry. They already released 2 versions of the first one. I bet they aim to do the same with Bravely Second...

Didn't Square used to release a FF game about every 2 years? I'd be overjoyed if I was a BD fan, better to have too much of a good thing than another abandoned ip.

zroid

Banned

I don't mind if that's the approach. I'm more concerned about them trying to churn out full new games once per year.

L~A

I don't mind if that's the approach. I'm more concerned about them trying to churn out full new games once per year.

They're not gonna try to make 2 games per year, they're just going to have a "For the Trilogy" edition available in 2015/early 2016, and it'll include some of the new stuff from the 3rd game.

At the very worst, they're gonna have another F2P game.

Lack of software for Wii U is never going to be resolved. It's not just an early screw-up.

The Wii U will eventually have the software to justify its position in this rat race. It doesn't need a software catalog to be an all-in-one system, but it will get the proper amount of software to make it a good secondary system. For some, including myself, the amount and quality of software it has already produced is enough to warrant its purchase. If you and others don't think so, it's more of an issue of taste than any legitimate objective analysis.

Frodo

If the approach is to release one game and then a "definitive version" of it later the next year and a completely new game on the following year, I guess I can live with that. I just don't want rushed games with lots of re-used assets and no effort.

Now, on the Wii U front: Judging by the recent bumps, can Wii U cross the 100k mark this week?

Place your bets, ladies and gentleman.

If the approach is to release one game and then a "definitive version" of it later the next year and a completely new game on the following year, I guess I can live with that. I just don't want rushed games with lots of re-used assets and no effort.

Now, on the Wii U front: Judging by the recent bumps, can Wii U cross the 100k mark this week?

RPGamer92

Banned

110-115K

Takao

Banned
The Wii U will eventually have the software to justify its position in this rat race. It doesn't need a software catalog to be an all-in-one system, but it will get the proper amount of software to make it a good secondary system. For some, including myself, the amount and quality of software it has already produced is enough to warrant its purchase. If you and others don't think so, it's more of an issue of taste than any legitimate objective analysis.

I think it's a fairly objective statement to say that for a platform to stay healthy it typically needs a regular release schedule. Wii U doesn't have anything resembling a regular release schedule in Japan.

L~A

Based on the W49 > 50 rise, I'd say it's quite possible it'll reach 100k during W51. The real "will it reach 100k" question goes to Super Mario 3D World, in my opinion ;)

I think it's a fairly objective statement to say that for a platform to stay healthy it typically needs a regular release schedule. Wii U doesn't have anything resembling a regular release schedule in Japan.

Neither did the Gamecube, but in retrospect that system had not only enough games but enough AAA games to warrant its purchase. I'm not disputing that it's going to be a long and slow ride for early adopters, because that's what it looks like, but I didn't buy the system for what it's going to do in year 1, 2, 3, or 4 individually, but for what it's going to do for the entirety of its life cycle.

Frodo

Based on the W49 > 50 rise, I'd say it's quite possible it'll reach 100k during W51. The real "will it reach 100k" question goes to Super Mario 3D World, in my opinion ;)

True! Can't wait for the numbers.

I say Wii U will be the 90k-100k mark. But I guess it is a wild card now, and wouldn't be surprised if it stays around the 70k sales or increases above 100k. As for SM3DW, I do hope it crosses 100k. It is an amazing game and deserves it.

Neither did the Gamecube, but in retrospect that system had not only enough games but enough AAA games to warrant its purchase. I'm not disputing that it's going to be a long and slow ride for early adopters, because that's what it looks like, but I didn't buy the system for what it's going to do in year 1, 2, 3, or 4 individually, but for what it's going to do for the entirety of its life cycle.

The Gamecube was pretty much a flop everywhere but North America and even there it didn't do the greatest, so that isn't really a "good" comparison.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;94668109 said:
Tecmo Koei also brought the most games to Wii U launch. In fact their efforts feel pretty similar here.

Actually, so far I can see lots of similiarities between Wii U and PS4 first months, games wise. The biggest third party launch game for Wii U was a porting of MH3G. PS4 will have a brand new Yakuza, but the PS3 SKU releases on the same day. Koei Tecmo released Ninja Gaiden 3:RE and Orochi Musou 2 Hyper at launch + Ken Musou 2 on Wii U; for PS4 launch, they have DW8 XL (late porting of the expansion) & Nobunaga Ambition: Creation (late porting) + Nobunaga Ambition Online on March. Wii U saw DQX released after launch, with the DL version being by far the biggest seller due to discounts for Wii SKU owners; PS4 will see FFXIV released after launch, with the DL version being free for the PS3 SKU owners.

...Lots of similarities for the first period + MGS being the biggest difference.
2015 will see all the big third party guns (Jp + West), but 2014 could be...bad.

Thorgal

Honest question : Why is everyone assuming that PS4 will have the same trouble as the vita had at launch of having most of its sales going to PSP and the next gen handheld sales doing horrible because of it ? ?

Obviously PS3 has the bigger install base so expecting more sales on that platform is understandable but why do i get the impression that people think the next gen version of those games will bomb /be a flop because of it ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Honest question : Why is everyone assuming that PS4 will have the same trouble as the vita had at launch of having most of its sales going to PSP and the next gen handheld sales doing horrible because of it ? ?

Obviously PS3 has the bigger install base so expecting more sales on that platform is understandable but why do i get the impression that people think the next gen version of those games will bomb /be a flop because of it ?

I haven't seen anyone saying those games will bomb, just that their impact will be muted because they are available on PS3 the same day.

Takao

Banned

No one's talking about justifying their purchases, or the quality of the game library. The conversation is about Wii U's potential to pull a PS3-like rebound in sales. Chris stated that was unlikely because Wii U wasn't going to get the software needed to do that. I agree with him. Wii U has never had something that looks like a healthy release calendar. That isn't due to expense, or development difficulty like it was with PS3. Developers and publishers simply aren't interested.

Oh, and since you brought up the Gamecube I'll bring up the sales for it: just above 4 million in Japan. Not exactly PS3.

No one's talking about justifying their purchases, or the quality of the game library. The conversation is about Wii U's potential to pull a PS3-like rebound in sales. Chris stated that was unlikely because Wii U wasn't going to get the software needed to do that. I agree with him. Wii U has never had something that looks like a healthy release calendar. That isn't due to expense, or development difficulty like it was with PS3. Developers and publishers simply aren't interested.

Oh, and since you brought up the Gamecube I'll bring up the sales for it: just above 4 million in Japan. Not exactly PS3.

I quoted what Chris said, and I responded to it pretty clearly. He claimed that lack of software for the Wii U was never going to be resolved, and my response was tailored specifically to that independent statement. So unless either you or he possess some magical crystal ball that can objectively validate that claim then my argument stands.

I quoted what Chris said, and I responded to it pretty clearly. He claimed that lack of software for the Wii U was never going to be resolved, and my response was tailored specifically to that independent statement. So unless either you or he possess some magical crystal ball that can objectively validate that claim then my argument stands.

Lack of software meaning a sparse release schedule.

Hellraider

Am I the only one that found really interesting the fact that the latest SRW has a DL only Vita Version? It's not like the musou games where a western release was guaranteed. This game's existence implies that a PSV, JP only version of a multiplatform game can be profitable. This pretty much confirms how cheap PS3 to PSV ports are and how strong digital sales on vita can be. I always thought those two things were true but not in a quantity to support a digital only japan only SKU like this.

This is a sales thread, so obviously that lack of software comment was not referring to your own personal taste which means nothing. So yes when the Wii U continues to fail we will have an objective analysis that the software problem will not be fixed.

L~A

Am I the only one that found really interesting the fact that the latest SRW has a DL only Vita Version? It's not like the musou games where a western release was guaranteed. This game's existence implies that a PSV, JP only version of a multiplatform game can be profitable. This pretty much confirms how cheap PS3 to PSV ports are and how strong digital sales on vita can be. I always thought those two things were true but not in a quantity to support a digital only japan only SKU like this.

Of course PS3 to Vita port are ultra cheap. Tecmo-Koei wouldn't have so many Vita games it that wasn't the case. They're basically (almost) free bonus copies.

Thorgal

I haven't seen anyone saying those games will bomb, just that their impact will be muted because they are available on PS3 the same day.

Your right . they will lose some impact because of that but i do not see how that is bad ?

Even in the west the PS4(which is more popular there ) games lost some impact because of last gen installbase difference no matter the impressive PS4 record sales where.

But i would not say that impact was detrimental to game sales on the PS4 so why would it in Japan ?

Edit : also Merry Christmas evening y'all.

This is a sales thread, so obviously that lack of software comment was not referring to your own personal taste which means nothing. So yes when the Wii U continues to fail we will have an objective analysis that the software problem will not be fixed.

You call it an objective analysis, I call it premature and amateurish speculation, nothing more.

Shahed

Your right . they will lose some impact because of that but i do not see how that is bad ?

Even in the west the PS4(which is more popular there ) games lost some impact because of last gen installbase difference no matter the impressive PS4 record sales where.

But i would not say that impact was detrimental to game sales on the PS4 so why would it in Japan ?

Edit : also Merry Christmas evening y'all.

I think you may have misunderstood. It's not so much that sales for the PS4 version will be bad relative to it's install base. In fact they'll probably be better than PS3 by some margin.

The loss of impact refers to adoption of the PS4 itself with a lot of titles also available on PS3. If the likes of Yakuza and other's were PS4 only, you'd get more people to buy a PS4. As it is they'd be okay with PS3 for now

You call it an objective analysis, I call it premature and amateurish speculation, nothing more.

The problem isn't necessary the quality of games, but moreso the quantity. There just aren't enough games to make the Wii U a healthy system. The release schedule just isn't there. You can like the games just fine, but that's irrelevant. I loved my Gamecube and felt it's very best easily matched the best the PS2 offered. Didn't stop it from being effectively discontinued with a few years where I live

Well I guess you can wait for a magical turnaround if you want. It's good for you to know though that your personal taste has nothing to do with what the market wants. Next year's Wii U lineup in Japan looks quite packed.

Pooya

They are (late) ports with minimal changes so I don't think targets are high for those to be commercial failures but I think the situation is a bit different with Vita multiplatform games. If we're considering games to sell the system, PS4 is in a bit of uncertain situation imo past the launch hype sales.

When PSVita was coming out and announcements were all like "also on __" the difference was that Vita was still getting the big games that was being made along with PSP or PS3. Like God Eater, Gundam and several others, and if it was a PSP only big game like FF Type-0 that was out around platform launch Vita could still play that too. So if you bought into the platform early on it wasn't so bad, there were also first party Japanese oriented games to make things better.

Now with PS4, from Tales to Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls and Persona and several others, as it stands right now it's not getting any of them in 2014 neither can play them through BC it doesn't have. So I think this can hurt multiplatform sales next year on PS4 more than it did with Vita if people aren't convinced they need PS4 yet when it's not getting the big games. The only PS4 only game so far announced is Lily Bergamo, and GHM recent games have had really poor sales in Japan. There isn't any first party game to make things better so far either. Of course new announcements can happen.

What PS4 has going for it against the PSVita is the promise of big upcoming games like FFXV in not so near future, and plenty western made games. Whether that's enough or not to attract interest over next year, we'll have to wait and see.

Toth

Persona 4 Golden worldwide shipped more than that on Vita alone. I know Square has destroyed Final Fantasy with XIII but I'd say it'll do pretty good.

Oh? What is the reason that FFXIV has exceeded expectations on sales and fan satisfaction? X will sell well on nostalgia alone and XV will sell gangbusters. Where is this death cry??

Thorgal

I think you may have misunderstood. It's not so much that sales for the PS4 version will be bad relative to it's install base. In fact they'll probably be better than PS3 by some margin.

The loss of impact refers to adoption of the PS4 itself with a lot of titles also available on PS3. If the likes of Yakuza and other's were PS4 only, you'd get more people to buy a PS4. As it is they'd be okay with PS3 for now

Ah .now i see . thanks .

I feel like PS4 is a unique case this time in Japan:

Back in the old days Japanese devs and gamers jumped En masse to PS2.
The jump from PS2 to 3 was horribly slow because of difficult to work with hardware and a high price tag .

Now PS4 has resolved most of those issue's so it will be interesting to see how fast the adoption rate is compared to it's father tillit is no longer needed.

They are (late) ports with minimal changes so I don't think targets are high for those to be commercial failures but I think the situation is a bit different with Vita multiplatform games. If we're considering games to sell the system, PS4 is in a bit of uncertain situation imo past the launch hype sales.

When PSVita was coming out and announcements were all like "also on __" the difference was that Vita was still getting the big games that was being made along with PSP or PS3. Like God Eater, Gundam and several others, and if it was a PSP only big game like FF Type-0 that was out around platform launch Vita could still play that too. So if you bought into the platform early on it wasn't so bad, there were also first party Japanese oriented games to make things better.

Now with PS4, from Tales to Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls and Persona and several others, as it stands right now it's not getting any of them in 2014 neither can play them through BC it doesn't have. So I think this can hurt multiplatform sales next year on PS4 more than it did with Vita if people aren't convinced they need PS4 yet when it's not getting the big games. The only PS4 only game so far announced is Lily Bergamo, and GHM recent games have had really poor sales in Japan. There isn't any first party game to make things better so far either. Of course new announcements can happen.

What PS4 has going for it against the PSVita is the promise of big upcoming games like FFXV in not so near future, and plenty western made games. Whether that's enough or not to attract interest over next year, we'll have to wait and see.

PS4 will sell on the strength of it's games and it's promises just like PS3 did .

Luckily it does not have a big price tag holding it down .

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah .now i see . thanks .

I feel like PS4 is a unique case this time in Japan:

Back in the old days Japanese devs and gamers jumped En masse to PS2.
The jump from PS2 to 3 was horribly slow because of difficult to work with hardware and a high price tag .

Now PS4 has resolved most of those issue's so it will be interesting to see how fast the adoption rate is compared to it's father tillit is no longer needed.

PS4 will sell on the strength of it's games and it's promises just like PS3 did .

Luckily it does not have a big price tag holding it down .

So, first year worse than Gamecube, even if not at Wii U level? That sounds great XD

Now with PS4, from Tales to Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls and Persona and several others, as it stands right now it's not getting any of them in 2014 neither can play them through BC it doesn't have. So I think this can hurt multiplatform sales next year on PS4 more than it did with Vita if people aren't convinced they need PS4 yet when it's not getting the big games. The only PS4 only game so far announced is Lily Bergamo, and GHM recent games have had really poor sales in Japan. There isn't any first party game to make things better so far either. Of course new announcements can happen. As usual, PS4 sales will improve as the line up improves.

PS3 to Vita ports sold because of the Vita's potability factor, the only thing the PS4 has against PS3 ports is better graphics, Japan of all territory is the least likely to bite. Sony probably knew this thus the delay, where their Japanese games will be ready, they will be needed. PS4's biggest advantage is the bigger third party exclusives like Kindom Hearts and FFXV, next MGS is also a certain, similar to the PS3's pre-launch announcements. It was thanks to these games that the PS3 even sold what it did in its early years. Japan is also warming up to western games, again the PS4 is gonna have an advantage here.

I used to think the PS4's lineup was atrocious but I just looked the PS2's 2000 year using garaph.

I don't know how accurate it is though so feel free to correct me.

I don't understand how it sold 3 million + in its first year with that piss poor lineup. I mean it had a few great games (Tekken, Ridge Racer, DW and those yearly sport games) but wow. Apparently its December hardware sales were worse than WiiU 0_0.

I don't think the Ps4 is going to as bad now that I saw that lol

The best thing Sony could do ATM to make the PS4 lineup stronger is to fish for PS3 ports of notable games.

Busaiku

You can't really compare PS4 to PS2.
Consumers now have far more options, and have been choosing them.

When PS2 came out, people wanted to play games on it, and they knew the games were coming to it.
Now, people have their phones, 3DS, and in some instances, Vita.

Handheld gaming didn't offer too much prior to GBA, but now it covers everything.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I used to think the PS4's lineup was atrocious but I just looked the PS2's 2000 year using garaph.

I don't understand how it sold 3 million + in its first year with that piss poor lineup. I mean it had a few great games (Tekken, Ridge Racer, DW and those yearly sport games) but wow.

This guy helped a lot.

JHKUPJK.jpg

PS2 was one of the first desirable DVD players and The Matrix was a killer app worldwide.

Top Bottom