• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2010 (Dec 27 - Jan 2)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
V_Arnold said:
You do realize that there is a Nintendogs came coming out for 3DS, right? And Layton? is that any kind of hardcore? Do not think so.
3DS hasn't found yet its Brain Training. DS took of because of that genre. Brain Training 3 won't have the same impact.

cvxfreak

Nor can we forget that the biggest hits are seldom, if ever predicted. Pokemon, Dragon Quest and now Monster Hunter are the only surefire hits (although I'm still not quite convinced that MH is immune from the classic Capcom sequel nosedive), but outside of that, it's hard to tell what will be big. I think trying to predict that is fruitless, too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Chris1964 said:
3DS hasn't found yet its Brain Training. DS took of because of that genre. Brain Training 3 won't have the same impact.

How can we say that before the device launched ? Maybe AR games will be the next big hit in generel ( i dont think so). The 3DS doesnt even need it Brain Training now, it will sell the first months just because of those exsisting bigger ips - once sales slow down im pretty sure there will be a solution.

btw. Iwata about software supply on 3DS (Nikkei)

The most notable comment from the interview concerned software support for the system. "It's important that you be able to supply software with no pause," said Iwata. "With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We're making plans so that this type of thing won't happen."
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/10/iwata_nikkei_interview/

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cw_sasuke said:
Moving away from the 3DS, the paper asked Iwata about Nintendo's performance over the holiday season. In North America, the Wii's performance was definitely not bad, said Iwata. The system sold over 2 million units in the holiday season, and crossed the 7 million mark in early sales. DS sold at level with 2009. The European market performed according to expectations.
Iwata gave USA numbers. Nothing new for Wii we didn't know but DS had a similar December to 2009 (3,31 million)

Spiegel

Chris1964 said:

And 3DS is a whole new beast with a premium price. Nintendogs and Layton won't sell as good as the ds games unless the mass market is okay paying that price.

But considering the genious expertise that Nintendo has developed marketing mass market games in the last years and that seemingly there won't even be an announced competitor when the 3DS launches I wouldn't bet against their success.

cw_sasuke said:
Is there a reason why ppl. think that AC 3DS, Kawasima 3rd, Nintendogs, AR Games, Mario Kart, new 2D Plattformer, Spotpass Features etc. wont be able to extend their audience besides of Core Gamers ?
I dunno. My gut tells me that to reach that audience you have to find something new every time. The audience isn't into gaming normally, so to keep them interested you have to keep things fresh, instead of relying on a established franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if the software that is a hit in all demographics won't be Brain Age, but a completely new game that makes perfect use of the strengths of the 3DS*.

*Problem is that 3D doesn't really offer a lot of new ways to play unlike the touch screen did for the DS. But perhaps we'll get surprised. I liked that fake "zomg 3DS footage" video with the game that makes clever use of the camera of the DSi to create "3D". I would never have thought the camera could be used for such awesome things. Perhaps the 3DS will bring the same kind of creativity in software, and maybe the surprise software that expands the audience will come from that direction instead of Brain Age or Animal Crossing and the likes.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
3DS is going to do very well, but you still have to keep current market trends in mind.
I don't think it'll affect system unit sales, but every focus group I've seen has still shown iPod Touch as the #1 requested/gamed on device for the younger segments (11-16, millennial) and with Android starting to make gaming strides, I think you'll start seeing a larger division for software.

3DS may start to see a more 'Nintendo-console' like sales division with Nintendo titles and franchised titles doing really well but lesser known or third party ports may start to suffer. Hard to say and hear, but with prices of 3DS software/hardware going up, and quality of cheap competitive titles increasing, you can't completely ignore stated purchase intent and expect a sustained, booming market out the door for everyone.

Anecdote time! My 12 year old cousin who is one of the biggest gamers I know hasn't even heard of the 3DS yet. Him and all his friends play iOS games at school/bus, and then he's always on Xbox after school. Granted him and his friends don't spend a lot of time on the internet, but NoA better start some broader messaging for 3DS soon.

Kenka

LiquidMetal14 said:
I think the lineup is very weak but it's not that bad :p

I... I just don't understand.

Layton + Samurai Warriors + Street Fighter + Nintendogs = "weak" ?

I'm staring unblinking, really.

duckroll

Kenka said:
I... I just don't understand.

Layton + Samurai Warriors + Street Fighter + Nintendogs = "weak" ?

I'm staring unblinking, really.

Declining franchise + Almost dead franchise + Insignificant genre in Japan + Glorified re-release = ???

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:
Declining franchise + Almost dead franchise + Insignificant genre in Japan + Glorified re-release = ???

Even if those are declining franchises this doesnt mean they arent big or irrelevant....you dont really get bigger 3rd party releases at a system launch, maybe its just me from a sales perspective the lineup seems just fine.

A Mario Plattformer or OoT 3D at launch would have been awesome - but still. Its just fine, as long as they keep releasin new games week for week. I would buy SSF4 3D and Layton if i lived in Japan.

Kenka

duckroll said:

Come on, it's not weak.

It's roughly the equivalent of what would have been Onimusha, Tekken and Kingdom Hearts for PSP launch. All main series entries.

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
Even if those are declining franchises this doesnt mean they arent big or irrelevant....you dont really get bigger 3rd party releases at a system launch, maybe its just me from a sales perspective the lineup seems just fine.

There is only one declining franchise though. The rest are definitely not big or relevant in Japan. Layton and Nintendogs are honestly the only games which have any hope of selling more than 200k LTD out of all the launch titles. Both should do way more than 200k of course, but the point is that the majority of the line-up is pretty weak because they're all lower selling third party software from has-been franchises. There is only ONE Nintendo game available at launch.

I don't think it's the worst launch ever, but it's definitely a launch which will be driven by the brand of the hardware instead of a great launch line up, because there isn't one.

Kenka said:
Come on, it's not weak.

It's roughly the equivalent of what would have been Onimusha, Tekken and Kingdom Hearts for PSP launch. All main series entries.

:lol :lol :lol

Okay, stop taking the funny pills. Please.

GCX

Has any Nintendo console ever released with a high profile 3rd party game?

Well, maybe GC with Rogue Squadron 2 but other than that I can't really think of anything.

onken

V_Arnold said:
Well, you gotta open those windows: 3D is HUUUUGE right now, as far as hype goes. Did you see the same hype with touchscreens in 2004? Do not worry, we all know that answer already.

Not the same thing at all. Touchscreen brings accessibility via a very natural and intuitive input system, what does 3D bring to the table other than "oh cool, it's in 3D"?

GCX said:

Well, maybe GC with Rogue Squadron 2 but other than that I can't really think of anything.

kung_fu.jpg

The one and only.

cvxfreak

The 3DS launch is doing its job just fine and I don't know why there's a huge debate about it.

Only with the Wii and DS did we actually get million selling launch titles in recent history. The N64 and SFC are the only other two, to my knowledge. Perhaps the original GB too.

m.i.s.

Banned
Souldriver said:
I dunno. My gut tells me that to reach that audience you have to find something new every time. The audience isn't into gaming normally, so to keep them interested you have to keep things fresh, instead of relying on a established franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if the software that is a hit in all demographics won't be Brain Age, but a completely new game that makes perfect use of the strengths of the 3DS*.

*Problem is that 3D doesn't really offer a lot of new ways to play unlike the touch screen did for the DS. But perhaps we'll get surprised. I liked that fake "zomg 3DS footage" video with the game that makes clever use of the camera of the DSi to create "3D". I would never have thought the camera could be used for such awesome things. Perhaps the 3DS will bring the same kind of creativity in software, and maybe the surprise software that expands the audience will come from that direction instead of Brain Age or Animal Crossing and the likes.

Gameboy had Tetris and DS Brain Training that really captured the imagination of the masses. Gameboy and DS also had mass market prices from launch. Not only does 3DS veer from that but it also has, for the first time ever in a Nintendo handheld, an analogue slider in the primary control position. The D-pad is in the same awkward position on the 3DS that the analog nub is on the PSP. To me this looks like the strategy seems to have shifted to console games on the go - probably because that's what 3rd parties want.

I forsee choppy waters ahead.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
The 3DS launch is doing its job just fine and I don't know why there's a huge debate about it.

Only with the Wii and DS did we actually get million selling launch titles in recent history. The N64 and SFC are the only other two, to my knowledge. Perhaps the original GB too.

So you're saying that the 3DS is going to flop like the GC? That's a shocking statement! :eek:

cvxfreak said:

GB had Super Mario Land. Can't remember if Tetris was a Japanese launch title or not.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
So you're saying that the 3DS is going to flop like the GC? That's a shocking statement! :eek:

Layton, nintendogs and even Samurai Warriors are a little bit more significant than Wave Race and Super Monkey Ball.

You said above that the launch will be driven by the brand of the hardware. It will also be driven by the brand of the titles accompanying it. In terms of familiar IP content that casual gamers should be able to identify with, the 3DS is the best launch...ever? It's not like asking someone to buy a PS3 for Resistance and Genji.

The 3DS has a very solid launch lineup, easily the best handheld launch lineup since the original GB.

Do not underestimate the power of adorable dogs jumping out of the screen to lick your face when you move up to it.

duckroll

Nuclear Muffin said:
The 3DS has a very solid launch lineup, easily the best handheld launch lineup since the original GB.

Do not underestimate the power of adorable dogs jumping out of the screen to lick your face when you move up to it.

I hate dogs though. In fact, I think I hate most animals.

Does the apparent lack of crowds at Nintendo World reflect a general lack of hype for 3DS in Japan? That's one thing I'm concerned about.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
I hate dogs though. In fact, I think I hate most animals.

Except ducks, right?

Funny enough, I saw a lot of people walking their dogs outside Makuhari Messe on two of the days. Maybe they want cats too, so they'll buy nintendogs+cats? :lol

Father Brain said:
Does the apparent lack of crowds at Nintendo World reflect a general lack of hype for 3DS in Japan? That's one thing I'm concerned about.

I believe there will be Nintendo events in Nagoya and Osaka after this, so Nintendo has time to spread out the hype. Nintendo couldn't have been expecting a hell of a whole lot of people to show up though, since they only rented out one hall at Makuhari that's considerably smaller than a single hall where TGS usually takes place. Nintendo did have line barriers set up on the upper floor of the hall in case it got too crowded, but it didn't seem necessary at all. Nintendo held a small scale event overall and I expect the hype to build.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Except ducks, right?

Funny enough, I saw a lot of people walking their dogs outside Makuhari Messe on two of the days. Maybe they want cats too, so they'll buy nintendogs+cats? :lol

I fucking love ducks...
on my plate!
:lol

Nuclear Muffin said:

this.

m.i.s.

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

Surely the launch lineup is subjective no? What appeal will Nintendogs + cats have to someone who got into gaming with the DS and already owns Nintendogs?

And 3D is unproven tech. We don't know how the masses will take to it - or if they do at all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Solid is an overstatement. I love me Nintendo handhelds but ports and lower tier launch games do not appeal as much to me. Of course it's nice filler but it ain't killer by a long stretch. Much like the PSP, I bought it for RR initially but bought 9 games which were like ports or filler. Lumines and Mercury were the most compelling launch games to me. This is the same situation except I'm not going out to buy 9 games just to try the 3d gimmick. 1 game is all I'm looking at, that's not good. I don't even want to impulse buy anything else.

And not to downplay the thing but the premise of 3d gaming on the go is a big draw since it's fairly new for this kind of mainstream gaming machine.

duckroll

BishopLamont said:
Bad childhood with dogs...uh, animals??

I dunno, I don't think so. When I was much younger I had a parrot at one time, and a turtle at another time. Didn't really think much of them when they died. I just don't really find myself interested in animals much, don't like the zoo. I enjoy watching nature documentaries though, but I don't really have any interest in maintaining an animal as a pet, nor do I feel any connection to them.

duckroll said:
I dunno, I don't think so. When I was much younger I had a parrot at one time, and a turtle at another time. Didn't really think much of them when they died. I just don't really find myself interested in animals much, don't like the zoo. I enjoy watching nature documentaries though, but I don't really have any interest in maintaining an animal as a pet, nor do I feel any connection to them.
I've never owned a duck or a parrot, but I think the bond you can get with a dog or a cat is much different than those animals. You can't cuddle and play with them like you normally could with a dog or cat. Oh what the hell, just buy Nintendogs +cats and see how you like it. :lol

duckroll

BishopLamont said:
I've never owned a duck or a parrot, but I think the bond you can get with a dog or a cat is much different than those animals. You can't cuddle and play with them like you normally could with a dog or cat. Oh what the hell, just buy Nintendogs +cats and see how you like it. :lol

I don't think so. :lol

GCX said:
I looked for third party Japanese launch games that ended up selling at least a couple hundred thousand within this century. GCN, DS, and Wii had none. GBA had these two, though I don't know how high profile I'd call them: Mega Man Battle Network and Power Pro Pocket 3.

EDIT: FWIW, non-Nintendo third party launch games of this century that ended up selling at least a couple hundred thousand:

PS2 Kessen
PS2 Ridge Racer V
PSP Ridge Racers

Wow the launch line up is so weak, I didn't expect OOT or Paper Mario but no Kid Icarus? No Pilot wings? No Steel Diver? The hell is Nintendo doing?

N3DS Zelda no Densetsu Yume wo Miru Shima DX

What game is this?

Datschge

onken said:
Not the same thing at all. Touchscreen brings accessibility via a very natural and intuitive input system, what does 3D bring to the table other than "oh cool, it's in 3D"?
It brings actually intuitive 3D (instead flat 2D "3D") to the masses. The sort of games which relied on a sense for depth without actually offering a 3D image before can now potentially be easily played and enjoyed by more people.

FakeEdit: JJS is back! o_O

gerg

BishopLamont said:
Wow the launch line up is so weak, I didn't expect OOT or Paper Mario but no Kid Icarus? No Pilot wings? No Steel Diver? The hell is Nintendo doing?

N3DS Zelda no Densetsu Yume wo Miru Shima DX

What game is this?

Link's Awakening DX

duckroll

BishopLamont said:
Ah VC, nvm. I'd rather take a Link's awakening remake than a OOT remake.

I wouldn't. Link's Awakening is one of the best Zelda games, and it's certainly my favorite. I don't think remaking it would add anything to the game, and it might result in an inferior version in 3D especially. At least with OoT, it retains pretty much everything that it was since it was 3D to begin with.

ksamedi

We really can't know what to expect from Nintendogs + Cats. The original was pretty big and sequels to big hits usually do good numbers. It could be huge. I really expect it to cross a million.

duckroll said:
I wouldn't. Link's Awakening is one of the best Zelda games, and it's certainly my favorite. I don't think remaking it would add anything to the game, and it might result in an inferior version in 3D especially. At least with OoT, it retains pretty much everything that it was since it was 3D to begin with.
I'm one of those people who can't stand an aged game, the only way you get me to is if you remake the game, I usually prefer remakes over their originals since it takes alot to screw up the experience for me. I don't even want a "3D" remake, just a remake period.

Top Bottom