• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Gamespot review

Deku Tree

DavidDayton said:
I just thought of something...

Is there any chance that the PS2 version simply the Mega Man discs previously released as six separate titles, all dumped onto one disc.. while the GC one is actually a new port/emulation of the games? If so, it may be well outside the scope of Atomic Planet to script all the custom music file tags in the games for the GC version... things already done for the PS2 and in the PS2 code.

Basically, if Atomic Planet simply dumped the PS2 individual releases onto a single disc and added a menu, then ported most of the code to the GameCube, is it possible that it was simply "too much work" to bother trying to tie in the music tracks? That makes a lot more sense than any other given explanation.

Dunno. But that makes the most sense to me. I don't know why they wouldn't admit that though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
evilromero said:
Goddamnit one more time. Cube version= faster loading time, Hori Controller or Wavebird. For me that is better than the remixed music in-game. Plus like I said in another thread, I don't play my damn PS2 enough to warrant buying this little game. It is not worth the trouble to turn the fucker on.

"It's not worth the trouble to turn the fucker on," huh? How lazy we have gotten. :) Just put it in standby and your problems are solved. That's standby is there for...you have a surge protector anyway, right?

And one more time, again: Load times will not be an issue. The entire game gets loaded up after a few seconds on both versions anyway. It's okay to buy the game for another console and still be a Cube fan...The Cube is not going to hate you for doing so. :p

Lyte Edge said:
And one more time, again: Load times will not be an issue. The entire game gets loaded up after a few seconds on both versions anyway. It's okay to buy the game for another console and still be a Cube fan...The Cube is not going to hate you for doing so. :p

If the Cube finds out about this I'm in the doghouse.

The choice is simple.

I'll play these on Xbox at 1080i (or 720p but I prefer 1080i), switching between the awesome advancemame filter and the virgin pixels (yes I like both looks).

I'll also buy the PS2 version for the remixed soundtracks alone. The first couple Megaman games had some incredible music.

ge-man

Lyte Edge said:
"It's not worth the trouble to turn the fucker on," huh? How lazy we have gotten. :) Just put it in standby and your problems are solved. That's standby is there for...you have a surge protector anyway, right?

I think some people really want to support their favorite console, but choices like the one Atomic Planet made make it harder. I don't have a problem getting the PS2 version, however, so it's moot for me.

In the end, this episode does highlight another problem for the GC. Third parties need to start looking deeper into why they don't do well on the GC--it's not just a userbase problem.

Ryck

Picked up the cube version last night....really good stuff the menus are kinda blah (your mega man and you have to run to a door to open options and the different games, which gets tiresome after a while) I was really impressed by the graphics they look very vibrant and sharp ( Id almost say hi res ) I was pissed that they switched the A & B buttons (B used to be shoot and A was jump , now they are flipped around which takes getting used to ) they added a quick change by pressing L or R ( to change to different weapons ) in all the games ( even part 1) and the game auto saves after you beat a boss so you can go back to the game and pick up where you left off with out using the codes ....

all around very worth the 29.99 even without the remixed tracks, Im not gonna lie I really wish it had them (I don't have a ps2 :() you guys are gonna love it ..........oh also they added a rapid fire button which is Y or X I can't recall ,,,, and they added an easy mode which sucks ass ( they just removed enemies in certain places.....that's all I can think of at the moment

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
evilromero said:
It is not worth the trouble to turn the fucker on.

I swear, that is funny as hell! I can't even BEGIN to believe that someone would say. I'm too lazy to turn it on!!! Ha ha ha!!!!!!

Ryck

Lyte Edge said:
Are the passwords still there, though, Ryck?
Yes , In fact you get them once you beat a boss as always or you can puase the game (press start, Z gives you the weapon menu) it will give you the password again bottom left of the screen. Look at it this way they added a slew of features but also give you the option of not using them ( save feature quick change weapons etc) so yeah they added stuff but didn't remove stuff....

Aquemini

Would you people believe that I will be buying BOTH versions of the game, but I don't have a Gamecube?

Well, I certainly will cause its Megaman.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I've read the other MMAC threads and these remixed songs were never a major bonus until now.

Capcom does suck for not having it. They suck more for that lame-ass excuse. They suck more for requiring PS2 users to play the navi mode to hear them in-game.

Lyte Edge

EDIT:

Okay, found this at Gamefaqs:

"From playing around with this, I've come up with the following in Navi mode:
In MM1, Fireman, Bombman, and Iceman do NOT have remixed stage music.
In MM2, Metalman, Flashman, Quickman, and Woodman do NOT have remixed stage music.
In MM3, Sparkman, Hardman, Snakeman, and Needleman do NOT have remixed stage music.

All other stages (as well as every stage MM4, MM5, and MM6) have remixes. Just seems really odd to have half of the stages remixed in 1-3 and not all of them."

Going to have to do some checking of my own, because the "Remixed soundtrack" for Magnet Man in MM3 was a completely different song. I'm disappointed that my favorites (MM1-3) don't have completely new soundtracks, but at least 4-6 do, and the music in those games needed it a lot more.

Vargas

I have played through most of MegaMan 2 and quite a few of the stages have remixed music. From what I remember, AirMan, BubbleMan, HeatMan, QuickMan (not so sure on this one though), CrashMan, WoodMan and the Wily stages have remixed music.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Lyte Edge said:
Picked up the PS2 version, and guess what?

The "remixed soundtrack" seems to consist of only a few tunes per game. :\ It's not a full soundtrack, unless it has to be unlocked. I tried this for MM1-3, and only the select screen/intro screen on some games, and Magnet Man's stage in MM3 had remixed music. Magnet Man's song was also the wrong one. Now I'm wishing I had gotten the GC version after all. Atomic Planet = TEH SUK.

Damn, I'm just about ready to go to BB and get the PS2 version. Can you play it a little more (Megaman 4-7) and find out how many of those are remixed? If it's only a handful of songs I'm getting the GC version. You never know, those few songs in the GC version's sound test might be the only ones in the PS2 version. The only difference is that you can listen to them in Navi mode for PS2. If that's the case it isn't a storage issue at all, but rather AP screwing up.

Edit: Saw your updated post. PS2 version sounds good enough for me.

dark10x

Ohhh, you know what it sounds like they did (based on reading other posts)?

For Megaman 1-3, they actually used music from the two arcade games (included in the collection). That would explain some stages lack music. Those mixes were good, but I was hoping for more. On the flipside, that probably means that 4-6 includes the Arranged versions found in the PSX games (which were REALLLLY good sounding), so I AM pleased about that.

So perhaps they didn't even create any new music, they just used available music and placed it into the game.

See, this is exactly what concerned me and now I know it's true...

Rockman 1-6 were remade for PSX, if you recall...but only 4-6 included arranged music. Now I see what they did...

I'm kinda pissed, but at the same time, I'm glad to hear that they likely used the arranged tunes (which I loved). Considering that I've never really played much of MM4-8, that should be OK. MM1-3 are the three that I've played to death (and I think MM2 & 3 are the best regular MM games yet made), but I was hoping for new music in all of them. :(

Lyte Edge

But the thing is that the music in MM1-3 does NOT sound like the BGMs from Power Fighters. And like I said, Magnet Man doesn't even have the correct song!

I am glad to hear that 4-6 and all the wily stages get arranged soundtracks, though, so it's still worth having the PS2 version over the GC version in my eyes.

dark10x

Lyte Edge said:
But the thing is that the music in MM1-3 does NOT sound like the BGMs from Power Fighters. And like I said, Magnet Man doesn't even have the correct song!

I am glad to hear that 4-6 and all the wily stages get arranged soundtracks, though, so it's still worth having the PS2 version over the GC version in my eyes.

Oh, so the music in MM1-3 is not from Power Battles? Interesting (and good)...

I've read that Rockman Complete Works on PSX actually had a few remixed songs in MM1-3...but from the bit I've tried of MM1 on PSX, I heard none.

It is starting to sound like they simply ported Rockman Complete Works and made a nice menu system for it.

*sigh* Looks like Capcom even had to screw up the PS2 version. Nice. Freakin' idiots. Well, it makes having to get the GC version somewhat easier to swallow, although the fact that they couldn't have included at least the complete remixed tracks for only 4-6 is really bugging the crap out of me.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
My girlfriend keeps telling me that it isn't worth it for the music but I am an adamant fool! I shall try to resurrect her newphew's PS2 and it's horrible disc read error problem. I MUST PLAY MEGAMAN!

Lyte Edge

Rhage said:
What is Navi mode exactly?

Navi Mode offers in-game hints, which basically seem to me things like exclamation marks at the bottom of the screen if there's a pit, etc. Not sure if the normal mode is the same, but if not, Navi mode also has a redone submenu screen as well as MM8 style life bar.

NotMSRP

Which episodes on found on the PS2 disc? Names and actual episodes are available here: www.protoman.com.

Is the US version a 100% copy & paste version of the Rockman Complete Works collection, or are there any differences no matter how trival?

Leading strongly towards the PS2; intially towards the GC. Go for GC or PS2?

dark10x

NotMSRP said:
Which episodes on found on the PS2 disc? Names and actual episodes are available here: www.protoman.com.

Is the US version a 100% copy & paste version of the Rockman Complete Works collection, or are there any differences no matter how trival?

Leading strongly towards the PS2; intially towards the GC. Go for GC or PS2?

No idea which episode of series it comes from.

The US version is not a 100% copy & paste affair as it includes MM7 & 8 as well as the two arcade games. It also has a different menu design and other bonus features, I believe.

I'd say go for PS2. Remixed music + better controls.

ohamsie

http://toastyfrog.ogamo.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3128525

Some more bad news for Gamecube owners:

You GameCube fanatics can delete those angry accusations of bias you're typing up after reading that warning back at the beginning. We're all GC fans here, but the sad fact is that the GC version of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection is horribly broken. This is the result of a tragic, unnecessary design flaw: the jump and fire buttons are reversed, and the game offers no custom control setup option. This is not a minor quibble -- Mega Man gameplay consists of "run, jump, shoot." When two of the three are crosswired, the purpose of a high-fidelity collection targeted at long-time fans is compromised. The PS2 version gets it right, so that's the one you should pick up.

Jeremy Parish is one of my favorite internet celebrities, and is an editor at 1up.com so I feel he is a pretty reliable source.

NotMSRP

I know Rockman Complete Works covers only 1-6. Can you be more specific about the differences? There's FAQs on Rockman Complete Works on Gamefaqs to check out what's changed.

Isn't the title of the episode at the beginning of the show?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
*sigh* I wish Sony had some stricter quality control in console manufacturing. I won't be able to enjoy the PS2 game since the local one here has suddenly started giving "disc read errors" and the system is near mint condition (they never play PS2), third time this has happened to me too. This isn't a slam on Sony at all, for some reason my friend's seem to get these badly made machines, luckily mine is still working perfectly. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until I get back home from my vacation.

Funny story: I went and asked the local Gamestop in the area what the Mega Man anime was like and he told me it was from the US version showed in the late 80's. I instantly replied terrible (I'm sorry that show was pretty awful) and he got visibly angry and replied "IT'S NOT TERRIBLE, IT'S CORNY AND FUNNY!" God I hate game store employees sometimes.

This picture is applicable:
MegaVin.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
*sigh* I wish Sony didn't have such shoddy manufacturing processes. I won't be able to enjoy the PS2 game since the local one here has suddenly started giving "disc read errors" and the system is near mint condition (they never play PS2), third time this has happened to me too. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until I get back home from my vacation.

Just be glad you don't have an older xbox with a Thompson drive, I hear about equal problems at work about both consoles. At least sony repairs theirs outta warenty assuming you did not open the system and or answer their questions correctly as if you were a good ps2 owner :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Suikoguy said:
Just be glad you don't have an older xbox with a Thompson drive, I hear about equal problems at work about both consoles. At least sony repairs theirs outta warenty assuming you did not open the system and or answer their questions correctly as if you were a good ps2 owner :)

My Xbox died on me late last year (purchased it the month after it was released) due to taking it on a road trip in the car. Luckily Microsoft repaired mine for free and even sent me a pair of replacement cables to make sure it wasn't those that were the problem. Aside from that incovenience (I lost my freaking KOTOR save), all the first gen Xboxes that I've encountered have worked like a dream (from LAN hubs to local friends, all work and they are all first gen). Of course this seems to be a regional problem (likely due to shipping routes from certain manufacturing plants) so there is no valid way to even dispute or agree with these claims.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TekunoRobby said:
My Xbox died on me late last year (purchased it the month after it was released) due to taking it on a road trip in the car. Luckily Microsoft repaired mine for free and even sent me a pair of replacement cables to make sure it wasn't those that were the problem. Aside from that incovenience (I lost my freaking KOTOR save), all the first gen Xboxes that I've encountered have worked like a dream (from LAN hubs to local friends, all work and they are all first gen). Of course this seems to be a regional problem (likely due to shipping routes from certain manufacturing plants) so there is no valid way to even dispute or agree with these claims.

Consider yourself lucky, thats one of the first instances i've ever heard of them repairing the system outta warrenty for free.

MoxManiac said:
I think so, check us.playstation.com. I think they are more expensive, though.

Thank you kind sir, you were right. That blue PS2 looks awfully sexy, but I don't know about $50 more sexy...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Suikoguy said:
Consider yourself lucky, thats one of the first instances i've ever heard of them repairing the system outta warrenty for free.
If it means anything I did complain quite a bit and did speak directly with the local manager of the help center. It wasn't a simple process at all. I think they were going to initially charge $100 for the repair? Ha ha ha.

Well...having played both versions today, I must admit I'm sorely disappointed with the GameCube version of Mega Man. The idiot who decided to swap the jump and fire buttons really should be fired. Anyone who has grown up playing the classic Mega Man games on the NES will have a difficult time adjusting to this change. I tried to give the controls a chance, but in a game like Mega Man it's hardwired...instinctive to hit the A button to jump and the B button to fire. With the GC setup having "B" to jump, it's even more difficult to hit the "Y" button to use turbo firing while in the air...very inconvenient. The sad part is that it would have been so easy to include a control setup in the options menu, but the developers neglected to do so.

The PS2 version gets the controls right and is great to play. After playing both I had to go with the PS2 version, despite having the GC version reserved. The remixed tracks are simply icing on the cake.

Ranger X

Damned mutherfucking Canada... it's not out yet and since it's the "Saint-Jean" tomorrow in Quebec, i won't get my copy before friday at best...

dark10x said:
I swear, that is funny as hell! I can't even BEGIN to believe that someone would say. I'm too lazy to turn it on!!! Ha ha ha!!!!!!

Believe me when I say it is more trouble than you think. I have a pretty intricate entertainment set-up and the PS2 is standing upright surrounding by GameCube cases on both sides. To turn it on I have to remove about two hit the power switch then turn it on. Also I don't play my PS2 nearly enough to leave it in Stand-by mode. The last two games I played extensively were Jak 2 and Castlevania. Won't be playing anything else until MGS3.

So for me, the Hori controller coupled with that fact that I just enjoy the process of amassing an unholy amount of Cube games sells me. It sounds a bit crazy and it is. I can't deny that. I can't.

Jumpman

dark10x said:
That wasn't the case, though...that is, the resolution of the games appeared to be the same as the originals EVEN IF the screen resolution was higher. Running a PC emulator at 640x480 with no filters will produce a screen that looks exactly the same as 320x240. Even IF it was enhanced (which it is not), it would be the same on both systems...

I think you might have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that the actual game resolution was bumped up, just the screen resolution. This was also done in the GC versions of the N64 Zelda's. For me, this greatly improves the look of the games.

I have no problem buying the PS2 version if I believe it is the better of the 2. The problem I usually have with the PS2 is it rarely runs at a full 640X480. The only game on PS2 that does that I can remember off hand is Tekken 4. Also, I often have to perform annoying, dark rituals to get my PS2 to get past its disc read errors, and I prefer to not go through that if I don't have to.

So it comes down to a couple of questions. Does either version run at a 640X480 screen resolution, like with Sonic Mega Collection. Are the remixed tracks in the PS2 version indeed awesome and not some poor knock off of the originals. Do the control issues with the GC version really matter if I don't intend to use the new turbo features and such.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up my copy today. Atomic Planet must die. I am dealing with the reversed buttons (Seriously, wft?) but very disapointed with both AP and Capcom onthis one.

Suikoguy

Serafitia said:
Ok. so instead of reading the whole thread, what's the version to get? PS2? Is there an xbox version?

In summary:

PS2 is better then the Gamecube version beacuse

-Control = Buttons cannot be remapped and the GC version has a wacky default setting, while the ps2 setting works fine. Also the ps2 d-pad is considered better
-Music = The ps2 version has remixed music you can use during the game.

Graphics are a moot issue beacuse they are old games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've been having a stupid amount of fun with this collection!

Autosaving after boss battles for EACH individual game suddenly turns these rather punishing classics into well-paced, pick up and play jaunts. Just choose a game, work a few bosses and next time you load up, continue onto the next one... Brilliant addition it truly is. My favorite at least...

Playing it on PS2 and the whole music debate is really overdrawn. The new remixes stay very true to the original themes and thus far tend not to feel as dramatic an addition as expected. Though I have only played MM1+2 so far, but what they offer aurally is a minor increase in instrumentation and fidelity.(For the few stages that do remixes)

Navi mode is kinda neat. The redrawn life/weapon bars are a nice touch as are the selection menus. The tips and hints aren't all that helpful though, mostly just pointing out the obvious.

The frontend menu/game selection shoulda followed the standard '3x3' grid for stage selection, albeit with the individual game covers in place of boss mugshots! Woulda been a more natural fit than this strange 'doorway' menu thing they have going...

Now back to Dr. Wily kicking my ass in Megaman 1...

Top Bottom