• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental health is a problem in the games industry

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
No Way What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

IAmRei

Devs across the rest of the world, especially in Asia must be laughing so hard at this!

Its absolutely, unequivocally, demented to think that this sort of protest is going to get them anywhere!
Im asian, and yes, just like you said... : )))

simpatico

I don't buy into any diagnosis that can't be empirically measured. If someone tells me I've got a chemical imbalance, I want specific concentrations.

I've seen a lot of people be depressed, and there's a reason in their life why they are depressed. They go and get on meds to make them feel better about whatever that reason is. Where we get into trouble is, that part of their life is still fucked up. If it's not a focus, it's likely snowballing and getting worse. It's like if you put your hand on the stove, and rather than taking your hand off, you get jacked on pain killers and local anesthesia. Eventually that bone is gonna start burning and no amount of lidocaine in the world is going to help that pain. Eventually, the depressed person gets worse because they didn't have to fix that issue that was making them depressed. At that point, it might be too severe for SSRI's or benzos to help.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don't buy into any diagnosis that can't be empirically measured. If someone tells me I've got a chemical imbalance, I want specific concentrations.

I've seen a lot of people be depressed, and there's a reason in their life why they are depressed. They go and get on meds to make them feel better about whatever that reason is. Where we get into trouble is, that part of their life is still fucked up. If it's not a focus, it's likely snowballing and getting worse. It's like if you put your hand on the stove, and rather than taking your hand off, you get jacked on pain killers and local anesthesia. Eventually that bone is gonna start burning and no amount of lidocaine in the world is going to help that pain. Eventually, the depressed person gets worse because they didn't have to fix that issue that was making them depressed. At that point, it might be too severe for SSRI's or benzos to help.
While I get the thought about this, there is plenty of empirical evidence about actual clinical depression. Sure there are mostly cases of major depressive disorder and panic/anxiety disorders that can be made better by non medication therapeutic interventions, but there are also cases where the depression can be treatment resistant not only with therapy, but with medication as well. The brain is an interesting thing. As someone who went to school for 6 years and has worked in the mental health and SUD fields for 10+, with a lot of that time spent working with children with serious mental illness (ie intermittent explosive disorder), I can assure you, a lot of cases are brain related and nothing else. We all know traumatic experiences can lead to mental health issues, and a lot of those can be corrected with therapy, or a combo of therapy and medication…there is just simply way too much evidence and research that exists l, to deny that there is non medication therapuetic treatment resistant mental health diagnoses that stem from nothing other than a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Plus you are specifically talking about people who are situationally depressed. You said “
I've seen a lot of people be depressed, and there's a reason in their life why they are depressed
“. There’s a big difference between that, and long-term major depressive disorder.

Last edited:

simpatico

While I get the thought about this, there is plenty of empirical evidence about actual clinical depression. Sure there are mostly cases of major depressive disorder and panic/anxiety disorders that can be made better by non medication therapeutic interventions, but there are also cases where the depression can be treatment resistant not only with therapy, but with medication as well. The brain is an interesting thing. As someone who went to school for 6 years and has worked in the mental health and SUD fields for 10+, with a lot of that time spent working with children with serious mental illness (ie intermittent explosive disorder), I can assure you, a lot of cases are brain related and nothing else. We all know traumatic experiences can lead to mental health issues, and a lot of those can be corrected with therapy, or a combo of therapy and medication…there is just simply way too much evidence and research that exists l, to deny that there is non medication therapuetic treatment resistant mental health diagnoses that stem from nothing other than a chemical imbalance in the brain.
I don't think my take is a universal truth on the subject. It's just based on the cases I've had personal contact with. Friends and family I've seen go through that system and how I approach it in terms of my personal wellness.

Humdinger

"Primal scream" was a faddish therapy back in the 60s. It was popular for a while. Just scream it out.

Eventually they figured out, screaming about your problems doesn't actually solve them. Go figure. It doesn't even help your emotional state. It actually amplifies it. Doing it in a group is even worse.

poodaddy

Sadly? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is a choice so called grown adults are partaking in. Sack the lot of them, let normal people back in.
This. Fuck these melodramatic drama drag queens. If this is how they wanna compose themselves, then they certainly never grew up, and they need to be cut out of this industry like the tumor they are before their cancer spreads any more then it already has. We're damn near terminal already, get these idiots cut out before it's too late.

ZehDon

Gold Member
When I scream at the sky, my family calls an intervention. When they scream at the sky, PC Gamer does a puff piece.
I need a better PR team.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
get these idiots cut out before it's too late.
I have a feeling it's too late for anything though. The 'next' batch of up and coming kids being churned out of most schools is going to make your bones bend..

Utterly full of ADHD, Autism, mental problems, narcissistic behaviours, general weirdness, pathological liars, trans, Bi, etc etc..

It's a tad worrying 😟

In other words. We're fucked as a species. Next year it'll be 300+ in that field :messenger_tears_of_joy:

poodaddy

I have a feeling it's too late for anything though. The 'next' batch of up and coming kids being churned out of most schools is going to make your bones bend..

Utterly full of ADHD, Autism, mental problems, narcissistic behaviours, general weirdness, pathological liars, trans, Bi, etc etc..

It's a tad worrying 😟

In other words. We're fucked as a species. Next year it'll be 300+ in that field :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah....you're not wrong.

Fuck....kinda want a drink now.

Reminder that these are the same woke cultists who call you "manbabies" when you dare to criticize their consumer products.

This is why I'm not sad when I hear news of industry layoffs. In fact, many of them are reason for celebration. These "people" are mentally ill and should be locked away in an asylum.

Reminder that these are the same woke cultists who call you "manbabies" when you dare to criticize their consumer products.

This is why I'm not sad when I hear news of industry layoffs. In fact, many of them are reason for celebration. These "people" are mentally ill and should be locked away in an asylum.

I went from "how sad" to "how sad they weren't more"

ReyBrujo

I kind of understand them. Been a programmer for over 20 years and wouldn't touch game programming with a 10-foot pole. For instance, the pressure for releasing a product as fast as possible even if it's bad because day-0 patches. I work in the healthcare industry and if we were going to do that people could die. The Clean Coder says you reject such pressures and don't let management step on your integrity but it looks like in the game industry nobody ever read that. They think the are living the dream when they are releasing half-assed products, how can you ever be proud of that? Then the environment, since they are "living the dream" they think they are above everyone else which means whenever layoffs hit they mentally fall apart, or they accept gruesome conditions (like releasing half-assed products or lower salaries or working extra time, being harassed or verbally abused) in order to continue being part of "the ones". Then, the clients. Our clients are physicians who studied 10 or more years at university paying 3-10k bucks for every product license because they can't pirate the software (liability issues if something happens with a patient). Game developer's clients are people including many teenagers that might not even pay for the game and who could complain on any social network about how awful the game was putting their job in jeopardy...

Man, if I was forced to release products I don't feel comfortable with, worked a lot while being paid less than in other branches and if any teenager could download a pirate copy of my software a week before release and complain enough that my boss would giving them the reason I would also shout.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don't think my take is a universal truth on the subject. It's just based on the cases I've had personal contact with. Friends and family I've seen go through that system and how I approach it in terms of my personal wellness.
Fantastic response! I seriously don’t think I have ran into a Gaf reply recently that wasn’t a call out of some sort in the last few months. Thank you for that…

Top Bottom