• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Sunsetting Quest 1

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Looks like Meta is ramping down support for Quest 1 headsets and removing some multi-player/users features in March of 2023.

Meta Quest 1 Support Update

Security Patches and bug fixes end in 2024 (this will prevent new apps from running on the device)
No new feature support or development (I think this is effective now)
Removing the ability to join or create parties (I think this is in March but the post is unclear here)
Removing Horizon access in March.

**lock if a dupe (not great at using Neogaf's search tools)**

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
You should still be able to use it as a headset for your pc and many standalone sp games, right?
Oh No Ugh GIF by Pure Leaf

sainraja

Hmm, that is a bit stupid?
I hope this doesn't make the thing unusable (completely).

Last edited:
I got one for Christmas… last-last Christmas so 2021

Not sure if I have the 1? Can’t tell. Only used once that week to kill the fever about VR and never took it seriously although the tech was neat. It is still in a box. I haven’t updated for the Meta update (last time it was just Oculus).

Either way, sounds like this thing might be best to just mod/hack and use with other apps. Kinda suck that the few games I got might not be playable after a couple months.

jakinov

The only real issue here is that some of the features that are being disabled should be left enabled longer so they work until they break. Not wanting to continue to give software updates and deal with tech support/troubleshooting for old hardware is normal.

Ending support after 3-4 years isn't that big of a deal. I think people are used to consoles being supported for so long that they forget that a lot of tech have short support windows of 2-4 years.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The wording on the notice is a bit ambiguous, they mention that your apps (assuming they mean the current apps that run on Quest 1) will continue to function, but multi-user party support will end in March.

Developers could update their current titles to target Quest 2 hardware only, which would speed up the end of life for the Quest 1, however there wouldn’t much incentive to do this.

The end of security patch updates (2024) will effectively end the hardware. Without those updates the headset cannot access/use traditional app stores as new/existing titles need to be updated to support the latest SDK (apple and google do this all the time).

Bridges

Their complete lack of support for legacy hardware is insane. Jumping from a Rift to a Quest 2 it is extremely disheartening that no purchases transfer over, and now stuff like this. The hardware itself is awesome, but I don't understand how anyone can trust these guys when they're so eager to abandon barely aged products like this (completely disregarding how untrustworthy of a company they are from the Facebook side of things).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is a really, really dumb move. I know it costs money to keep this stuff updated and running, but as a consumer it builds distrust with the brand overall. I'm a former quest 1 and current quest 2 owner, definitely makes me hesitate on Quest 3.
It's not like they are some startup company desperate for cash.

jaysius

Banned
More e-waste in the world of VR trash bins.

VR is one of the most e-waste unfriendly businesses.

I'm shocked the tree huggers haven't attacked it yet.

jaysius

Banned
Their complete lack of support for legacy hardware is insane. Jumping from a Rift to a Quest 2 it is extremely disheartening that no purchases transfer over, and now stuff like this. The hardware itself is awesome, but I don't understand how anyone can trust these guys when they're so eager to abandon barely aged products like this (completely disregarding how untrustworthy of a company they are from the Facebook side of things).
Welcome to closed markets with known shitty developers.

jakinov

Isn't Rift to a Quest the equivalent of you buying a game on PC and then buying it on Xbox. Basically it's up to the developer to allow cross-platform entitlements:

as I mentioned in my other post, it's normal for tech to have short support life. Game consoles (due to generations concept) and apple devices are the only exception which have lives of as high as 7+ years.

can they sunset themselves next?

i will never call them Meta. they are Facebook. slapping a new name on your company doesnt change anything. they are still the evil disgusting company that they always have been.

fuck Facebook, Quest, Instagram, and Whatsapp. hopefully this pisses people off becaus they really need to stop using that shit. Facebook needs to die.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It’s a shame. I’ve got both Q1&2 and Q1 is my main pc driver. Apart from resolution it’s superior in all another aspects.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is why I buy 90% of my VR games on steam. Although I don't even know what moat of the stuff they are shutting down actually ia.

mxbison

Without adding Air Link? Bastards....

Not really using mine much anymore though. Will probably go for a PSVR2 after the first price drop.

mxbison

More e-waste in the world of VR trash bins.

VR is one of the most e-waste unfriendly businesses.

I'm shocked the tree huggers haven't attacked it yet.

Half the planet swaps their phone every 1-2 years for a new one that does exactly the same things with one extra camera lens.

jaysius

Banned
Half the planet swaps their phone every 1-2 years for a new one that does exactly the same things with one extra camera lens.
And all the plastic from the headset, and all the plastic from the controller, oh wait your false equivalency doesn't hold up, looks like it wasn't good logic.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
sunsetting?!
What kind of wording is that.
OW5l0mo.png

Maybe it is a US thing....but I have heard this term for years. Probably a political way of saying "Hey...that $400 bucks you spent has not only depreciated 99% over the last 4 years it's fucking dead Jim."

Last edited:

mxbison

And all the plastic from the headset, and all the plastic from the controller, oh wait your false equivalency doesn't hold up, looks like it wasn't good logic.

It's a pretty normal consumer electronics life cycle. Except that the amount of devices is a drop in the ocean compared to phones.

The controller plastic? Really? Every average household has more plastic waste than that in like a week....

Banned
well the thing is, you can jailbreak the Quest, and if shit hits the fan real hard then do what everyone should do

200.gif

Top Bottom