• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

calistan

is there anyway to share the screen with a mobile so we can all see what the player sees? is that even a thing?
The Meta Quest app lets you stream the player's screen over wifi. I have it set up on an iPad to turn Beat Saber into a sort of party game.

I have read countless people (search reddit) say using VR devices outdoors in direct sunlight destroys them. Just keep that in mind I guess.
The only sunlight problem I've heard of is if you leave the headset in a sunny spot, like near a window, the light can be focused onto the screen so it melts a little line of dead pixels as the sun passes across it.

MarkMe2525

I have read countless people (search reddit) say using VR devices outdoors in direct sunlight destroys them. Just keep that in mind I guess.

But hasn't it been confirmed PSVR2 wil get Alyx? Sony said they're making it compatible with PCs, so it will get everything PCVR has if so.

As far as games for the kids, the normal stuff Beat Saber, etc seems to be the go to. Depends what they're in to mostly. More hardcore games like AC: Nexus or Asgard's Wrath 2, RE4, or lighter sports-like multiplayer stuff like Walkabout Mini Golf or Table Tennis etc. There's some popular FPS choices too, but I'm not super familiar, and you also can sideload games like Doom/Half-Life, etc.
The Quest subreddit is filled with nonsense and hyperbole. Don't allow light to freely shine into your interior lenses, but it's perfectly fine to play outside (I do often).

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The Quest subreddit is filled with nonsense and hyperbole. Don't allow light to freely shine into your interior lenses, but it's perfectly fine to play outside (I do often).
This. As long as you have the headset on in the sun, you are good. You just can’t leave the lenses exposed to direct sunlight for an extended amount of time.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I got the Quest 3 Elite Strap & AMVR Facial Interface and damn, what a difference this combo makes. So much more comfortable, no more lense-fogging, and the light-blocking nosepiece makes experiences so much more immersive.

Having a blast with my VR experiences! Red Matter 2 has been amazing.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I got the Quest 3 Elite Strap & AMVR Facial Interface and damn, what a difference this combo makes. So much more comfortable, no more lense-fogging, and the light-blocking nosepiece makes experiences so much more immersive.

Having a blast with my VR experiences! Red Matter 2 has been amazing.
I have the AMVR facial interface as well. It’s amazing. The silk cloth face piece feels so good, and like you said, I get zero fog as well. I got it mainly for that, as I have prescription lenses, and don’t want them fogging.

It’s pricey for what it is, but the results are worth the price, if that makes sense.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
As I wrote recently in the other thread, I heartily recommend playing Portal 2 VR if you have a PC to connect to your Quest.

It scales down extremely well (as usual due to running on Valve's source engine, which scales wonderfully to any hardware) so you won't need a beefy rig at all to run it.

It's well worth doing, and will give you a large-scale experience that makes the game feel new again.

Romulus

As I wrote recently in the other thread, I heartily recommend playing Portal 2 VR if you have a PC to connect to your Quest.

It scales down extremely well (as usual due to running on Valve's source engine, which scales wonderfully to any hardware) so you won't need a beefy rig at all to run it.

It's well worth doing, and will give you a large-scale experience that makes the game feel new again.

Yeah I hadn't played it since the release on Xbox. In VR with a super high framerate, it felt genuinely like a reimagining of the game. Truly exceptional and I'd put it next to HL2 in terms of VR mods.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yeah I hadn't played it since the release on Xbox. In VR with a super high framerate, it felt genuinely like a reimagining of the game. Truly exceptional and I'd put it next to HL2 in terms of VR mods.

My total playtime on VR the past several years has probably been spent around 90% or more on Valve games

• The Lab -- the best introductory VR game anywhere IMO. Great for giving a friend or family member their first VR experience, and surprisingly deep in some of the games, like the archery and the arcade space game which are both like full products
  • Alyx -- duh, still the best VR game of all time, and has tons of community mods that extend it even further
  • HL2/Ep1/Ep2 -- almost as good of an experience as Alyx, and so much content to experience like it's the first time. Perfect conversions, everything feels like it was intended for VR.
  • Portal 2 -- I'll probably spend a very long time in this world again. I already have a backlog of mods to play through now that I have this roomscale experience going.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Last night was fishing for me. Tonight I have to actually watch my LA Kings get murdered.

After the game, I’m gonna do some Power Washing. That game in VR is like meditation.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Spent three hours in Contractors yesterday... this might be the killer app that VR has been waiting for. Generationally way ahead of Population One, and it's completely accessible so I could play with friends on the Quest 2 while I ran the Virtual Desktop setup. Can't wait to dive back in today.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Spent three hours in Contractors yesterday... this might be the killer app that VR has been waiting for. Generationally way ahead of Population One, and it's completely accessible so I could play with friends on the Quest 2 while I ran the Virtual Desktop setup. Can't wait to dive back in today.
I planned on playing it tonight after the Kings game.

Top Bottom