• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising 10th Anniversary Event confirmed by Platinum Games

treemk

Banned
Having never played anything from Platinum Games before I picked up Rising as an impulse buy expecting to be disappointed and have my MGS addiction get the best of me. What a great surprise that was. I've finished it probably a dozen times and I love how it can be played as a non stop murder spree that can be completed in a few hours.

Last edited:

Labolas

I wouldn't get too hype of anything actually happening yet. Just have a wait and see approach with this.

Kumomeme

man smile GIF

Skifi28

Always had issues with the PC versions and never finished it, would love a console remaster but probably not happening.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
If we get MGR2 I really want wall running(which was meant to be in the first game) and on the fly weapon switching. Better destruction/slicing physics too like imagine wall running across a tall building and slicing it so debris falls on enemies below.

Also more weapons and they should be fleshed out like the elastic pole not the sai and cleaver with only a few moves for each. And there should be at least 10-12 levels too.

Narratively I want to see Vamp and/or Solidus Snake return somehow(nanomachines maybe?) because of their personal connection to Raiden they would make for great rival/antagonist dynamics. Sam should come back but this time he is on Raiden's side.

Those are cool suggestions.

I’d love to see stealth reimplemented. It was in the original concept of the game, I believe. I know that’s a tough balance but I think it could be done.

Those are cool suggestions.

I’d love to see stealth reimplemented. It was in the original concept of the game, I believe. I know that’s a tough balance but I think it could be done.
Stealth is in the game. It's almost mandatory if you care about getting high ranks for certain verses. I hope you don't mean that it should be be centerstage like in the original MGS games. MGR is meant to be a character action game not stealth focused.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'd be happy with a port, but something tells me we're just going to get some art and a behind the scenes on how the game was made.

A remaster would be appreciated at the very least. I can play it on Xbox SX with a rock solid 60fps, but a bump from 720p to 4K would be nice. Ideally we’d get a sequel as well but I’m not going to get my hopes up.

Spaceman292

Banned
No it needs more than just that.
I dont know why MGR has this odd rose tinted glasses outlook about it. It NEEDS QoL changes beyond just the 4k/60. It needed these same QoL changes back at release too.
For instance it needs on the fly weapon swapping as a MUST. A dedicated block/parry button as well.
But knowing Platinum if they do ‘remaster’ it, it will be a lazy port and the same poor design choices will remain.
lol i cant believe it's been ten years and scrubs still don't understand how the parry works

Gojiira

lol i cant believe it's been ten years and scrubs still don't understand how the parry works
Nowhere did I say I dont understand how it works moron…Only that a dedicated block is a objective QoL improvement that should have been added…Reading is hard isn’t?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Stealth is in the game. It's almost mandatory if you care about getting high ranks for certain verses. I hope you don't mean that it should be be centerstage like in the original MGS games. MGR is meant to be a character action game not stealth focused.

It was a very lightweight version of stealth included in MGR.

I don’t mean it should take center-stage, as if we are playing MGS2, but I think there is an in-between achievable there.

Stealth actually was a larger part of the original game’s concept before Platinum took over. It didn’t work out but I think there is potential for it.

Both this game and Sekiro - character action games - have implemented very light stealth. It’s just not the kind of stealth that gives you any agency, so it’s not satisfying.

The stealth is basically already there, they’ve made room for it. Now they should make it fun.

Frankly, I don’t believe there is a rule that says a character-action game can’t also feature stealth mechanics. It’s just somewhat rare. Mixing game mechanics together is a way to innovate and create new experiences.

Last edited:
It was a very lightweight version of stealth included in MGR.

I don’t mean it should take center-stage, as if we are playing MGS2, but I think there is an in-between achievable there.

Stealth actually was a larger part of the original game’s concept before Platinum took over. It didn’t work out but I think there is potential for it.

Both this game and Sekiro - character action games - have implemented very light stealth. It’s just not the kind of stealth that gives you any agency, so it’s not satisfying.

The stealth is basically already there, they’ve made room for it. Now they should make it fun.

Frankly, I don’t believe there is a rule that says a character-action game can’t also feature stealth mechanics. It’s just somewhat rare. Mixing game mechanics together is a way to innovate and create new experiences.
There already is stealth and it's an option for most verses. Not only is it an option, it's optimal compared to brute forcing each verse. I really don't know what more you want. You'd be better off sticking to the original MGS games. Gameplay wise, MGR is meant to be more like Ninja Gaiden not Sekiro or Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
There already is stealth and it's an option for most verses. Not only is it an option, it's optimal compared to brute forcing each verse. I really don't know what more you want. You'd be better off sticking to the original MGS games. MGR is meant to be more like Ninja Gaiden not Sekiro or Metal Gear Solid.

So you're saying that

1. Stealth doesn't belong in this game.
2. There already is stealth in the game.

If there is already stealth in this game, I think they should improve upon it. Same with Sekiro. Finessing the stealth mechanics isn't necessarily unacceptable in character-action games. And if it's appropriate for any of them, it's Metal Gear Rising, where the protagonist has a bevy of stealth experience and skills. No that doesn't mean I have to just stick to Metal Gear. It's okay to add new mechanics to sequels.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Games decent but just no where near as good as what people hype it up to be, definitely one of those games which was hiven way more time in dev

Top Bottom