• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did You Know Gaming: Every Canceled Metal Gear Solid Game

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know that Metal Gear Solid is mostly associated with PlayStation rather than Xbox, right ?

Family Matters What GIF

adamsapple

it’s just that you’re the last person I was expecting to post this video, since you’re such a hardcore Xbox fan

Jokes aside, besides MGS4, you can probably play more MGS games natively on a modern Xbox than a modern PS4/5.

So it's fair to say the franchise is thoroughly multi-platform now. The inevitable MGS4 remaster will be the litmus test if it remains PS exclusive or if it also comes to Xbox.

Jokes aside, besides MGS4, you can probably play more MGS games natively on a modern Xbox than a modern PS4/5.

So it's fair to say the franchise is thoroughly multi-platform now. The inevitable MGS4 remaster will be the litmus test if it remains PS exclusive or if it also comes to Xbox.
I wonder what chinese company konami hired to ramshackily cheaply get mgs4 off ps3 with probably worse performance and weird bugs than original…

adamsapple

I wonder what chinese company konami hired to ramshackily cheaply get mgs4 off ps3 with probably worse performance and weird bugs than original…

MGS4 always ran with an unlocked frame rate.

All they have to do is just port the game as is, don't even do any visual changes, the newer consoles will brute force it to a locked 60 FPS at all times.

But even asking that, without any meddling, is probably too much from Konami.

solidus12

I know it’s a multiplat franchise, it is just closely associated with PlayStation like Silent hill or Final Fantasy.

I also never get tired of this codec conversation as a Metal Gear Solid and PlayStation fan:

MGS4 always ran with an unlocked frame rate.

All they have to do is just port the game as is, don't even do any visual changes, the newer consoles will brute force it to a locked 60 FPS at all times.

But even asking that, without any meddling, is probably too much from Konami.
For all we know its going to be a shoddily emulated version of that rumored cancelled xbox 360 beta so they dont have to change any of the ps3 code

RagnarokIV

Also started on a Microsoft system, the MSX.

adamsapple

No you can't.

Yes you can.

Xbox:
Bluepoint's MGS 2/3 HD, Peace Walker HD, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain, MGS Snake collection (MGS1/2/3), the MSX games via the collection, Metal Gear Rising (not really Solid but eh), MGS: Survive

PS4/5:
Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain, MGS Snake collection (MGS1/2/3) and MSX versions via the collection, MGS: Survive

Did I miss any? Please feel free to add.

Last edited:

Three

Yes you can.

Xbox:
Bluepoint's MGS 2/3 HD, Peace Walker HD, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain, MGS Snake collection (MGS1/2/3), the MSX games via the collection, Metal Gear Rising (not really Solid but eh), MGS: Survive

PS4/5:
Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain, MGS Snake collection (MGS1/2/3) and MSX versions via the collection, MGS: Survive

Did I miss any? Please feel free to add.
Those BC PS3/360 games you've listed are not "native" though.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Those BC PS3/360 games you've listed are not "native" though.

Semantics.

You stick the disc in and they play natively on the console via backwards compatible emulation, you don't stream them.

Last edited:

Three

Semantics.

You stick the disc in and they play natively on the console via backwards compatible emulation, you don't stream them.
It may be semantics to you but it still is not natively. if it's semantics because of the "ease" to be able to play then you're playing semantics to begin with since with streaming you just hit play. You meant play 'locally', not natively.

adamsapple

It may be semantics to you but it still is not natively. if it's semantics because of the "ease" to be able to play then you're playing semantics to begin with since with streaming you just hit play. You meant play 'locally', not natively.

Again, semantics. Besides, if you want to whittle into it with this level of scrutiny, the X360 versions of games are all recompiled to run on the hardware, hence you have to do the download even with the disc.

They're all playable on the hardware natively, that's the relevant part.

Last edited:

Three

Again, semantics. Besides, if you want to whittle into it with this level of scrutiny, the X360 versions of games are all recompiled to run on the hardware, hence you have to do the download even with the disc.

They're all playable on the hardware natively, that's the relevant part.
I'm not sure why you're so adamant to replace the word locally with natively (well I can kind of guess why) but those BC games are not running natively nor are they recompiled to run natively. I think you've misunderstood the emulation profiles. It runs on a 360 stack with a recompiled virtual GPU.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I'm not sure why you're so adamant to replace the word locally with natively (well I can kind of guess why) but those BC games are not running natively nor are they recompiled to run natively. I think you've misunderstood the emulation profiles. It runs on a 360 stack with a recompiled virtual GPU.

Alright fam, they run locally.

Valentines Day Hug GIF by Teletubbies

Top Bottom