• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection |OT| Les Ports Terribles

dotnotbot

Literally ANY other port from ANY other dev/publisher would be crucified for this alone. But nooooo, its flaws are being “utterly overblown” and a nice list of improvements (half of which are just corrections of bugs and problems introduced in previous ports) has been posted in two or three different threads already. Somebody even played the “but blowing these up to 4K would just bring out artifacts” card.

I’ll quote myself:

Yeah, I gave them benefit of the doubt, it's weird to focus so much on extras and stuff while leaving them at old resolution.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So on PC there's a launcher that's native res (I think) then after you choose game version (for MGS3 for example between USA and Euro versions, why not make a definitive one instead?) it launches it in 720p and even says HD collection on the title screen so, is it emulated PS3 release or what?

Game works fine at 60fps after that point but still, feels like a weird package.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Why is that a problem?

PAL = European territories, right?
50Hz on a 60Hz display introduces stutter. Since this is emulation for MGS1 with on the fly patching they've literally just included like 10 CD dumps in this, that's also why the size is bloated.

Scotty W

And you can play them. That doesn't mean that we can't complain about it being a lazy fucking job by Konami. They could have included native resolution, put them in one application and done a bunch of other things to make it worth grabbing.
You are like a capitalist wanting to maximize the productive capacity of your employees INDEPENDENTLY of the actual fun of the game.

WoJ

This will be a hard pass for me. I've still got the orignals on the PS3 collection and the PS1 and PS2 disc's so I can dump and emulate.

So I thought these were supposed to be available to purchase separately, I don’t have the time to play all of them now so I was just going to buy the first game but it seems it’s not possible on PSN.

Edit: nvm it is possible, you just have to go to the three dots, they don’t show up and search.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

So on PC there's a launcher that's native res (I think) then after you choose game version (for MGS3 for example between USA and Euro versions, why not make a definitive one instead?) it launches it in 720p and even says HD collection on the title screen so, is it emulated PS3 release or what?

Game works fine at 60fps after that point but still, feels like a weird package.

If anything, it would be emulated X360 version because the control scheme is similar to that version. But it's not emulated, they just were too greedy. We won't know for sure until someone figures out how to increase the resolution on PC but there's a possibility it causes some visual issues so instead of fixing them, they shipped these in 720p.

Last edited:
Am I a conspiracy nut for thinking that MGS2 Substance got removed from GoG because Konami wants to sell this new remaster?

They certainly haven't tried very hard to resolve those copyright issues.

dotnotbot

Am I a conspiracy nut for thinking that MGS2 Substance got removed from GoG because Konami wants to sell this new remaster?

They certainly haven't tried very hard to resolve those copyright issues.

I'm waiting for someone to do cutscenes comparisons, really curious how much they had to change/replace.

You are like a capitalist wanting to maximize the productive capacity of your employees INDEPENDENTLY of the actual fun of the game.
The games are great fun. I played them when I was a kid, I even remember playing the beginning of MGS1 over and over when I was 10 since my dad had picked up the JP version when it first released (a month before the US) but we couldn't progress much past the elevator at the start because we didn't understand Japanese.

These games were part of my childhood. So believe me when I say that if you haven't played these games, you should pick them up in this package if you have no other way of playing them.

For the rest of us old gits who have already played and beat these games a bunch of times, this package is a bit of a kicker. More effort should have gone into it.

I also have no fucking idea what you're talking about. I'm just a consumer that has certain expectations, especially when they want to charge the price of a new game (£50 over here) for the package. If the price was lower, my expectations would have been too.

I haven’t played the first game in so many years, having to press circle to confirm is taking some getting used to. I wish they’d have changed it.

I’m also probably in the minority here but I don’t want to play in the original aspect ratio, let me stretch that shit to fill my screen.

dotnotbot

UxuaTYq.png

SUjJeLN.png

You people are insane.

I just want to play the games I missed out on years ago.

Some of us didnt miss a beat and went through all of these titles multiple times. Yes, we do want better than what was delivered. At the end of the day this was going to be sold to fans, random newcomers will probably skip this as its too old for them. So yes, us fans dont want to just play it again in no matter what state. Its a shit port plain and simple.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
GMG is the place to get it at a discount. Legitimate key seller, Cdkeys 🤞cancelled and refunded the MGS Master Collection keys. I think it was a region restriction on what they originally sold as a preorder.

Scotty W

my friend, you’re calling people “insane” for rightly pointing out the mediocre port job this collection is. It’s quite strange. It doesn’t even have res options on pc. It’s extremely mediocre.
You are angrily complaining on an adult toy forum that the makers of your adult toys, which you played a quarter century ago, did not work hard enough.

JimboJones

You are angrily complaining on an adult toy forum that the makers of your adult toys, which you played a quarter century ago, did not work hard enough.
Yeah? Which is totally valid, they did a poor job here. The games themselves are classics and are worth playing if this is the only way you have access to them but they should be called out for such a poor remastering job. They did the bare minimum.

near

Gold Member
GAFs verdict on the ports? Shit? Good? Decent? Wait for bargain discount? How is the PC ports if anyone is playing through Steam?

Bry0

GAFs verdict on the ports? Shit? Good? Decent? Wait for bargain discount? How is the PC ports if anyone is playing through Steam?
Remember the dark souls 1 port? PC is like that. There are no graphics options and it only runs at 720p internal res with an upscale to 1080p output. People have found that you can change internal res through hex editing the exe but it breaks a lot of the alpha effects.

near

Gold Member
Do you like 720p?

Remember the dark souls 1 port? PC is like that. There are no graphics options and it only runs at 720p internal res with an upscale to 1080p output. People have found that you can change internal res through hex editing the exe but it breaks a lot of the alpha effects.
PS4/PS5 version any better?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You people are insane.

I just want to play the games I missed out on years ago.

Your standards are shit. These people are asking for top dollar for 720p in 2023.

They could have EASILY and bare minimum done 1080p and allow it to upscale to 4k via dlss/fsr if needed. Devs discuss constantly how easy it is to do this.

I can see maybe fucking with mgs1 is an issue but mgs2&3 should be 1080p and allow upscale.

Nut gobbling and defend a notoriously shitty and greedy hack job company is a weird hill for you to want to die on.

phant0m

I told y’all not to buy the trash.

Buy discs of all 3 games on eBay for like $7 each and play them in PCSX2 w/ native scaling and nice filters.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve seen some footage and all I can say is thank God for PC emulators.

This is a scam.
I was all for this compilation.. I don’t even care about higher resolutions as I love the look the original resolutions provide.

But bilinear filtering the whole upscale image with no way to turn it off is the biggest offense anyone could do to a an old retro game. This is second time an office release of MGS did it. The first was the PlayStation mini. How can anyone think that looks good?

dDoc

Saw someone stream bit of MGS1.

Barely any options at all in the menu.

Looks like utter hot garbage.

Won't touch this one with a ten foot pole if this collection was given to me for free.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And playing ds1 original at 720p and 30fps is still the most true way to original.
Dsfix can help to restore alpha effects, dof and so on that are almost gone at higher res. So there is a way

Bry0

And playing ds1 original at 720p and 30fps is still the most true way to original.
Dsfix can help to restore alpha effects, dof and so on that are almost gone at higher res. So there is a way
Yeah I have my fingers crossed that a similar type of fix can be made for this collection.

Top Bottom