• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus (Enhanced Edition) is a modern, deeper and more immersive Half-Life 2

Alan Wake

I agree with OP. Metro Exodus is very immersive and has an amazing atmosphere. I had issues with the controls from start to finish but loved the setting, the story and cared for the characters. Loved the train too. It had a slow start, though, and I actually put it aside for quite some time before giving it a second chance early last year. Happy I did, of course.

Kuranghi

I haven't even played Metro Exodus and I'm sure thats not true. Seeing it on my flatmates good FALD LCD and the whole time I was like what the fuck is this horrible grey/fog filter over all the darkness, it looks like pure shit, even worse in HDR ofc. I told him to try that -deependark commandline because apparently that fixes the horrible filter but he won't try it because hes a fudgehead.

Last edited:

CZY

I found Exodus an absolute slog. Thoroughly unenjoyable. Lasted maybe 7 hours before uninstalling.

HL2 is on an entirely different level, up in the stratosphere in terms of all-time classics. Exodus is …. not that.

I found Exodus an absolute slog. Thoroughly unenjoyable. Lasted maybe 7 hours before uninstalling.

HL2 is on an entirely different level, up in the stratosphere in terms of all-time classics. Exodus is …. not that.

Slog is the perfect description. What a disappointment compared to the first two.

tygertrip

Somehow I had completely slept on this one, and I'm so glad I picked it up in a recent Humble Bundle.

This may be the most immersive FPS I've ever played. How I'm feeling while playing Exodus is similar to how I felt back in 2004 when I first played HL2.

Where I am in the story:
the area where the train was stopped by a bridge, and there are different factions in the surrounding buildings and landmarks, including at least a religious cult, an engineer, some bandits, and others.
A lot of question marks left on the map here for me, so I'm just getting started.

The environments are incredible. The story is interesting and (so far) has a really relatable theme and swift pace to it. The looting and crafting system has enough depth to feel worthwhile and important for survival without feeling like a hassle, and there is a lot of quality of life considerations there (like crafting anywhere with your backpack). And the crafting even kind of feels somewhat believable in the context of this world and these missions. The game rewards you for exploring, and there is gobs of environmental story telling to flesh out this universe in the nooks and crannies of the world (again, like HL2). The weaponry feels great, and the loadout you choose actually matters a lot for your ammo capacity and effectiveness in combat.

The presentation is just stunning with the ray traced GI. Every environment just feels right as you move through them. Shadows are where they're supposed to be. Light spilling through windows and doors is bouncing where it should and filling the correct parts of the indoor areas. You just can't get this effect with artificial placements. I really hope we start seeing more AAA games that light their environments this way. It adds so much to the immersion.

The art style and sound design is incredible to me, and probably why I'm reminded so much of HL2 while playing it. The area that I'm in now wouldn't be that out of place in Water Hazzard or Highway 17, or maybe even White Forest or Freeman Pontifex in Ep.2.

So definitely try this out if you're a fan of single player FPS games with great immersion and atmosphere.
This is good to hear. I own it on PC, but haven't gotten around to it. I've been playing the shit out of my PS5 ever since I got lucky enough to score one at retail price. If MEEE is indeed HL2 quality, that sounds like a good reason to put my 3070 to use! Thanks.

tygertrip

It's not.
I've finished hl2 many many times and exodus about 4 times (even this year with rtx version).
I love this game.... but it is so deeply badly paced, janky and flawed. Everyone never shuts up.

To be hones - the pacing of Last Light reminded me way more of hl2
Another one calling it janky. I have found that, usually, when millennials call a game "janky", it is awesome. 😁. I'm definitely going to take a break from my PS5 and put my 3070 to use playing Metro Enhanced now. You finished it 4 times??? I don't think I've finished a game more than once since the Quake days... it MUST be damn fun!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Another one calling it janky. I have found that, usually, when millennials call a game "janky", it is awesome. 😁. I'm definitely going to take a break from my PS5 and put my 3070 to use playing Metro Enhanced now. You finished it 4 times??? I don't think I've finished a game more than once since the Quake days... it MUST be damn fun!
I also said I finished it at least 4 times :p
It is jank hell. Not as much as stalker even remotely but it's the same vibe. Characters talk over each constantly, you get stuck in the terrain or launched when running.
Every damn action is a hold E animation. Crawl under, crawl over, pick up, turn on, give... all these weird, very long animations with swaying camera and terrible audio like if you were making bed sheets :p
But the atmosphere, shooting, graphics, weapon modifications and exploration are fantastic.
Pacing can be a problem because you spend to much time listening to the fools.
And it's a weird fps shooter game where on each level you are asked NOT TO SHOOT.... just fuck em all up I say :p

tygertrip

I also said I finished it at least 4 times :p
It is jank hell. Not as much as stalker even remotely but it's the same vibe. Characters talk over each constantly, you get stuck in the terrain or launched when running.
Every damn action is a hold E animation. Crawl under, crawl over, pick up, turn on, give... all these weird, very long animations with swaying camera and terrible audio like if you were making bed sheets :p
But the atmosphere, shooting, graphics, weapon modifications and exploration are fantastic.
Pacing can be a problem because you spend to much time listening to the fools.
And it's a weird fps shooter game where on each level you are asked NOT TO SHOOT.... just fuck em all up I say :p
Dude... I LITERALLY was LOL reading your reply. OMG, Stalker... It was SOOO fucking cool but the jank wasn't just jank, it was next-level jank, LOL. Anyway, sounds awesome, I'm convinced. After I finally finish Demon's Souls (never played the original back in the day, my children were still very young), MEEE is next!

Fools idol

Banned
Janky don't mean a goddamn thing to us old farts... shit, I played (and loved) the hell outta Witcher 1!

I spend a year trying convince my nephew to play the witcher 1 and was dying of anticipation for him to fall in love with it as I did and he absolutely laughed his ass off at 'how bad it is' and stopped playing 2-3 hours in as I wept in a corner.

Damn kids these days LOL

Last edited:

tygertrip

I spend a year trying convince my nephew to play the witcher 1 and was dying of anticipation for him to fall in love with it as I did and he absolutely laughed his ass off at 'how bad it is' and stopped playing 2-3 hours in as I wept in a corner.

Damn kids these days LOL
Take it from a parent... that boy needs an ass whooping! 😁. My kids actually love old games... to the point that my oldest actually had us drag in a goddamn 200 lb old CRT (it felt like 200 lb, at least) so he could play my old SNES, Saturn, and N64 on it. My kids also dragged my old Atari 2600 and all my old 2600 games and controllers out of my parents' attic... they were all excited and shit. It broke my heart to tell them that my 2600 had been broke for more than 30 years!

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Yeah, hearing all the npc's talking through each other yelling ARTYOOOM! With horrible soundmix is real immersive. Don't forget about the incredible AI.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I didn't like Exodus. I know a lot of people loved it. I felt by opening it up, it sucked the soul out of the games. The story, atmosphere was less interesting and less tense/scary. Felt directionless.

tygertrip

Damn kids these days LOL
Take it from a parent... that boy needs an ass whoop.ing! 😁. My kids actually love old games... to the point that my oldest actually had us drag in a goddamn 200 lb old CRT (it felt like 200 lb, at least) so he could play my old SNES, Saturn, and N64 on it. My kids also dragged my old Atari 2600 and all my old 2600 games and controllersout of my parents' attic... they were all excited and shit. It broke my heart to tell them that my 2600 had been broke for more than 30 years!
Yeah, hearing all the npc's talking through each other yelling ARTYOOOM! With horrible soundmix is real immersive. Don't forget about the incredible AI.
Sounds fucking awesome. I'm in!

I played for about 5 hours and just couldn’t take it anymore, it’s a good looking game but man it’s so painfully boring, slow and just a slog to play. Even the movement is slow. Half Life 2 is an iconic game, you’re comparing a diamond to a polished turd.

Romulus

The driving sections of HL2 are known to be somewhat janky and the weakest sections, but even still I'd rather play those than the best parts of Exodus. Not that Exodus is bad by any means either.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Damn kids these days LOL
Lol I finished this on release. Love that game. I thought I was the only one who actually finished w1

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Lol I finished this on release. Love that game. I thought I was the only one who actually finished w1
I didn't play it until much later as I didn't have access to a PC back then. Caught glimpses of it being played by a friend a couple times before he lent me his computer for weekend to try it out some 1-2 years post launch so the patches and stuff were already out, played it for just about 48 hours straight and completed it in one sitting.

Had major sleep deprivation at work that week but it was worth it.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It's immersive to walk around in, it's a stunning game in so many ways, but the moment combat starts it's not very immersive at all. The A.I. just can't keep up, I struggled to take the game seriously.

One thing I love about the Metro games is how authentically scary they are too. The way they handle a supernatural elements are excellent. It truly feels alien and scary and not just like a typical ghost or typical eldritch abomination.

Personally, I love the series so far but I've only played and have the first two games.

The third one seems like they did away with a lot of the supernatural stuff. The first game had a really good story centered around the Dark Ones and it almost seems like Exodus almost completely ignores them and the supernatural elements in general.

MistBreeze

I never played a metro game
But man Half Life 2 is one of the best games of all time

Playing it on release date back on 2005 it is a historic moment in gaming.
best physics that adds to gameplay … cinematic were in engine maybe first at this time… interesting world and characters… best pacing or among the best in a any game period . The game had varied enemies.. environment. Physics puzzles.. vehicles even platforming
Even doom 3 could not compare
It is a genre defining game … maybe resident evil 4 come close to hl2 or gta san andreas

I wish valve some day develope games again

Last edited:

Filben

Unfortunately it's way more static in terms of gameplay and environment. It also lacks the simulation of STALKER which would add more to the immersion, too. But it's still brilliantly immersive with all the animations and actions you see from Artyoms perspective, even if it's small gestures or movements of his hands. Imagine if it was on par with Half Life and STALKER in its other aspects.

But as of now it's slightly above average when considering everything.

Top Bottom