• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus turns 5 years old today, and has now sold over 10 Million copies

kyussman

Like these games a lot,will they go full open world with the next one.The large areas in Exodus were great,if they could reproduce that over a larger scale it would make for a great open world to explore.

Like these games a lot,will they go full open world with the next one.The large areas in Exodus were great,if they could reproduce that over a larger scale it would make for a great open world to explore.
Exodus works so well because it's designed similarly to Far Cry 2.

I would never want a full open world like Horizon or GTA but if they could interconnect the levels and let you seamlessly traverse them somehow, more like how Homefront the Revolution handles it's "zones" it would work incredibly well.

fatmarco

I don't think sales numbers mean as much anymore, at least outside first months to first year sales. This game has been given away for pennies for the past 4 years, so their "10 million sold" is not equivalent to a game that's maintained a higher price over the same period of time.

That being said, I love Metro Exodus, and it's worth a hell of a lot more than what they sell it for.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How was exodus vs. 2033?

I remember trying 2033 way back and it was really canned/rails gunplay and tons of unskippable cutscenes. Is Exodus similar? Or more open gameplay and skippable cutscenes?

StereoVsn

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with this one that I've double dipped on both Xbox and PS5. The DLCs are also excellent, btw! :messenger_sunglasses:
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with this one that I've double dipped on both Xbox and PS5. The DLCs are also excellent, btw! :messenger_sunglasses:
Yep, it’s a great game. I liked the previous games as well, but Exodus was very good.

I would love to see next game in the series, but no idea if that will even happen now with all the Putin’s shenanigans. I do think the studio moved out of Russia at least.

Denton

Fantastic trilogy, Exodus being my favourite. But it sucks that their new game takes so long. 6 years for a new game? Annoying. Particularly when previously they managed to release three games and three remasters in span of 9 years.

The Metro books are probably my favorite books outside of LOTR.

The games are good enough that I own them on multiple platforms. If it wasn't for the barrage of JRPGs plus Ronin coming out I would love to do another play through of all of them. That VR title is exciting as well.

sachos

Wow, 10 million! Did not know it was that popular of a series. Congrats to them, amazing implementation of RTGI on consoles. We need more RTGI on games to achieve the "next gen" look.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I finished it like 4 times.
Fantastic game... the only problem is waaaay too much 1st person animations, hold E and everyone is constantly, always talking to you. They never shut up.
But it's worth it

Fbh

I liked Exodus but Last Light is still my favorite.
I think leaving the underground environment behind made it loose a lot of the unique appeal it had.

I'd still like to see a Metro game with an open world subway system. The world in the books always sounded interesting with the various "cities" and outposts in the stations and weird shit happening in the tunnels between them

How was exodus vs. 2033?

I remember trying 2033 way back and it was really canned/rails gunplay and tons of unskippable cutscenes. Is Exodus similar? Or more open gameplay and skippable cutscenes?

I don't really remember how skippable the cutscenes are but Exodus is quite different.
Most of the game takes place in big outside environments with a bigger focus on exploration than the previous games which were more linear due to the setting.

Had never played these games before but wanted to see the RTGI implementation on the PS5, was blown away by the visuals. Although ended up getting roped into to the story as well... and this has now become one of my all time favourites. It reminded me weirdly of Goldeneye 64 (my favourite game of all time), first person desolate shooter set in super atmospheric locations.

The game also has amazing re-playability value to it.

Got Metro 2033 redux and Last Light redux free on Epic game store. Gonna play those after I finish the 3 Tomb Raider reboots I also got free on the Epic Game Store.
Really loving my new PC, old games but maxing out all the graphics.

Skifi28

I've bought it two times, still haven't gone past the first open world zone in either the ps5 or pc version. It's not bad or anything, but it feels very jarring after the first two games. I just don't feel like the open level design suits the series. I want to be down there killing stuff in close proximity while being unable to see anything.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Awesome game. While I understand a lot of people didn't care for it because it departed from the grimy, claustrophobic underground metro setting of the books and the first two games, I loved its variety of locales. From the half-frozen Volga to the arid desert of the Caspian basin, it had such wonderful vistas.

amigastar

I have it but never really played it very far. It has Raytracing, right?
That being said, the new Metro game is supposed to be VR, i don't have a problem with that. Something new for my Quest 3.

Last edited:
It's an incredible game. I think what it did well was kind of overshadowed by some of the lesser fine technical issues on the consoles, but it was stunning on PC at release and got even better as time went on and then the subsequent upgrades for the "next-gen" systems. It had very organic growth as a series from the first Metro to Exodus and I look forward to the next game from them. I still haven't played the DLC, I started the Colonels one and then got caught up with other things at the time.

One of the best AAA Immersive-Sim lite games I've ever played and would highly suggest anyone on the fence to check it out before S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 comes out.

Last edited:
Please no. No generic open world. More Metro less trees and and bushes. More Metro with city hubs to explore is preferably to keep it a Metro game and not a Stalker game.

It's currently on sale in PS Store.

It's a steal for $4.49.

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
I beat 2033 and Last Light but just couldn’t get into Exodus when I tried it. There was just so much talking and cut scenes. Maybe I will try it again in honor of this achievement.

Yep, it’s a great game. I liked the previous games as well, but Exodus was very good.

I would love to see next game in the series, but no idea if that will even happen now with all the Putin’s shenanigans. I do think the studio moved out of Russia at least.
You're correct about them relocating, but the devs were based in Ukraine and not Russia (the author of the Metro series is Russian though).

Most of the devs have relocated either to their sister studio in Malta or to other branches inside Saber Interactive, their parent company.

kyussman

Please no. No generic open world. More Metro less trees and and bushes. More Metro with city hubs to explore is preferably to keep it a Metro game and not a Stalker game.
That was my point though,the hubs in Exodus were well designed,if they could reproduce that on a larger scale it would make for an interesting open world,not the generic Ubisoft copy and paste stuff.

I liked it enough to finish it, including the DLC, but it is by far the most buggy and unfinished game of the three mainline games.

intbal

Just a heads up.
This game is still on sale for $4.49.
Xbox store says four days remaining. Playstation apparently still has seven days left in the sale.

Pick it up.
You'd just waste that money on something else, anyway.

Top Bottom