• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

I'm almost at
Venice
, and so far I've managed to find every single one of Artyom's journals without a guide. Exploration master!

Also, why the hell haven't I found the night-vision goggles yet? I found them early on in 2033. I haven't come across a store that sells them either. :/

I don't know if there's any traders in the Redux versions that sell filters. I never noticed any.

yeah I always made it a point to check for filters. In fact when you're going with Khan to a mission in LL and he specifically says "go stock up on ammo and filters" I made it a point to check on both of the vendors and didn't see any filters being sold, they only had a couple of filters on the side for free on a stand.

Carbonox

Hah, who'd have thought Metro Last Light would have many aspects that would become heavily featured in the news in 2014?

Ukraine (4A is Ukrainian)
Russia (game takes place in Russia)
Ebola
(part of the plot)

First thing that came to mind as I was playing through. We're all going to live in underground stations aren't we? :(

I am actually really liking the Tower. I think it speaks to how good the combat feels in Last Light that I am enjoying the 'arena' DLC the most out of all of them, although I did enjoy pretty much every one. However I am not playing with a gamepad and with the amount of enemies that swarm you it really does need quick and accurate aiming to go for headshots. It's a really intense experience.

Metro's default aim assist on gamepads is already really extreme due to the fast nature of a lot of the enemies, if it is still not sufficient for the Tower then they probably need to rebalance it.

yeah the fast enemies make it a pain to aim at them, because they'll rush at you and can climb on walls on shit, which makes a lot of the tactics for other shooters useless and annoying. I can't tell you how many times I died in Last Light as I waited
for the boat to come to go to Venice

Hystzen

Only reason to use incendiary grenades is so when you have to defend as objective to make a wall of fire to stop them advancing or channel them into choke points. Nosalis tend to halt at wall of fire or jump into it which drops them on ass while burning.

Only reason to use incendiary grenades is so when you have to defend as objective to make a wall of fire to stop them advancing or channel them into choke points. Nosalis tend to halt at wall of fire or jump into it which drops them on ass while burning.

yup, this tactic has saved my ass many times.

It's also good for throwing behind spiders: when you shine your light on them, they back up, and set themselves alight.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but to you people that keep running out of air filters:

Don't run unless you really have to, air filter run out like 3x faster if you do.

Hystzen

I had to defeat bear today on hardcore with no health packs and slight red screen damage. One hit equals death cue lots of raging after getting to point near beat it and hit from behind

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I had to defeat bear today on hardcore with no health packs and slight red screen damage. One hit equals death cue lots of raging after getting to point near beat it and hit from behind

Have you considered an alternative approach to that fight?

Hystzen

Have you considered an alternative approach to that fight?

Dropping grenades while I run in circles worked fine then use VSV for weak spot and pick of goons who attempt attack me. Just when mind drifted or accidentally moved left instead right to avoid the blows I died. Only sucked when it last blow and hit from behind

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Dropping grenades while I run in circles worked fine then use VSV for weak spot and pick of goons who attempt attack me. Just when mind drifted or accidentally moved left instead right to avoid the blows I died. Only sucked when it last blow and hit from behind

Lemme rephrase.

Have you considered not killing it?

Fbh

As someone with arachnophobia Last Light has some truly creepy parts.

I get tense from just hearing the sound of those spiders

As someone with arachnophobia Last Light has some truly creepy parts.

I get tense from just hearing the sound of those spiders

yeah, those sections are pretty cool

ih43rpV0PduYQ.gif

2qHdFMf.png

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Have I made a bad decision by selecting the option for the original, Survival Horror difficulty in 2033? The other option that I could choose was to make the game more like The Last Light, which I thought was the game a lot of people said played better.

Fisty

Have I made a bad decision by selecting the option for the original, Survival Horror difficulty in 2033? The other option that I could choose was to make the game more like The Last Light, which I thought was the game a lot of people said played better.

Definitely not, beat both games back to back on Survival Ranger Hardcore, had a freakin blast (except one annoying trainride in Last Light). Its really intense when your watch gives you that 1 minute click and you have no more filters and are getting swarmed by baddies. Great times, looking forward to trying out Spartan playthrus after a couple weeks of Destiny

Fisty

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but to you people that keep running out of air filters:

Don't run unless you really have to, air filter run out like 3x faster if you do.

Thats a fantastic tip, also when my filters got low id take off my mask every few seconds to save filters while looking for more. Saved my ass quite a few times (SWAMP)

RoKKeR

Beat LL. Solid series. Hoping they release a third one.

I think they will... latest news from 4A is that they are working on a new IP (maybe something in space) and the next entry into the Metro series. Not sure which one has the priority currently.

Okay, Last Light got a hell of a lot better after
you got captured
. Lots of stealth and that tunnel with the
railcar
was A+++. Love all the optional rooms.

I wish there was more interesting combat design sometimes though, like 3 way encounters where all your enemy strategies can be used at the same time, or even to bait the other sides into fighting each other.

I got SO frustrated from the ridiculous number of sequences like this, especially in Last Light, I was this close to rage-quitting and deleting the game.

The times when you have to wait for the goddamn ferries. That time at the end of LL where you're wating for the water-powered elevator to come down. That one time in the marshes in front of the church.

I mean these kind of sequences can be tense and interesting the first few times but after the 10th one I found it really sucked the fun out of the games, especially Last Light.

That's my main gripe with the franchise really.

HiiiLife

So just watched a youtube vid and this must be another detail I've somehow missed. How do I read the actual clipboard below my compass? Everytime I press the touchpad the only thing I see is the green arrow.

So just watched a youtube vid and this must be another detail I've somehow missed. How do I read the actual clipboard below my compass? Everytime I press the touchpad the only thing I see is the green arrow.

Right trigger pulls the clipboard up and left trigger is the lighter so you can read it better in dark spots.

DocSeuss

Okay, Last Light got a hell of a lot better after
you got captured
. Lots of stealth and that tunnel with the
railcar
was A+++. Love all the optional rooms.

I wish there was more interesting combat design sometimes though, like 3 way encounters where all your enemy strategies can be used at the same time, or even to bait the other sides into fighting each other.

It's because up until that point,
you've been following someone the whole way, doing everything you're supposed to do. It's dull, boring, and not at all fun, but it really sets up the amount of CRAZY disorientation that's to follow, where you're on your own and you have to think for yourself. And that's when it gets awesome.

HiiiLife

Right trigger pulls the clipboard up and left trigger is the lighter so you can read it better in dark spots.

Smh. I can't believe I went through both games without knowing this. Never played the originals so I figured it was just some luggy ass compass, until I saw it was an actual notepad on YouTube. Kinda pissed I missed this detail. Walking around following a green arrow did start to bug me when I was playing the campaign lol.

HiiiLife

I thought when people were talking about notepad they were speaking of the diary option in the pause menu. But it's legit a notepad on the compass. Wtf man.

Just beat Last Light.

A better game in every way to 2033, and not only in the graphics department. I liked the story better, as it was a story about war, betrayal and redemption vs 'saving all humanity' which is a dime a dozen.

I'm a bit sad I didn't get the good ending considering
I didn't kill either of the traitors
but it would make sense assuming one of the things was to not kill anybody that wasn't necessary, and I killed. A LOT. A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. Of people while stealthing it up. Usually in stealth games I simply knock out, but when they give you the option to kill Nazis and Communists you're not gonna say no lol.

So uh in summary it probably took me about 3 days, not hours-wise of course, to beat Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux.

Thoughts on the series? I've become a fan, even if not the open world shooter I thought it would be, but since I'm a narrative-driven guy I didn't mind this ending. Shame we didn't really
interact with Anna before the ending, besides that long stare you both give each other as you're boarding the train

Having watched both endings though, and seeing how the name of the groups is Spartans I gotta go with the 'bad' ending actually being better in the sense of it fitting. It was very patriotic and very comrade-like. We'll see how the author decides to play it off and whether a third game in the series is made. I assume that if a third game is made within the lifespan of the PS4 it'll be released for it as well, which is great because the series is infamous for being poorly optimized for PC and a resource hog.

I gave the first game a 7.5/10

I give Metro Last Light an 8.5/10

So yadda yadda basic math, Metro Redux gets an 8/10

On a side note it took me a while to beat
the tank
until I read I was supposed to grab the weapon, then it was like bim boom bam 4 shots dead lol. God damn game you sure broke my balls.

It was fun discussing it with you guys, if there's any more news on sequels I'll be sure to check with the community, thanks for answering questions MetroGAF (is that the name lol? Sounds like metrosexual a bit).

It's because up until that point,
you've been following someone the whole way, doing everything you're supposed to do. It's dull, boring, and not at all fun, but it really sets up the amount of CRAZY disorientation that's to follow, where you're on your own and you have to think for yourself. And that's when it gets awesome.

It's a really big jump. The story points are just not intriguing. If I was invested that's one thing, but Artyom's such a non-character that I don't care. Those early sections are literally just watching people talk and following instructions. As soon as they get back to scenarios suited for a silent protagonist (atmospheric solitary wetwork + exploration) the quality shoots up.

It'll always baffle me that the decided to have Artyom be a silent protagonist considering the amount of people that go with him and interact with him. I mean they are directly asking him questions and looking for feedback and he just stares at them. I mean shit, if you're going to have a faceless protagonist so the player can be immersed that's great and all, but Artyom has a clear backstory and he narrates/speaks during the loading screens and many cutscenes, so we know he has a voice. What's the point of making him mute in the game?

Or are we assuming that's somebody else reading what he wrote? Because if so then who's the man writing down during opening cutscenes, if not Artyom?

JohnGrimm

Smh. I can't believe I went through both games without knowing this. Never played the originals so I figured it was just some luggy ass compass, until I saw it was an actual notepad on YouTube. Kinda pissed I missed this detail. Walking around following a green arrow did start to bug me when I was playing the campaign lol.
The lighter is a compass too. The flame points towards your objective.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
It'll always baffle me that the decided to have Artyom be a silent protagonist considering the amount of people that go with him and interact with him. I mean they are directly asking him questions and looking for feedback and he just stares at them. I mean shit, if you're going to have a faceless protagonist so the player can be immersed that's great and all, but Artyom has a clear backstory and he narrates/speaks during the loading screens and many cutscenes, so we know he has a voice. What's the point of making him mute in the game?

Or are we assuming that's somebody else reading what he wrote? Because if so then who's the man writing down during opening cutscenes, if not Artyom?

much like gordon freeman and the connection with this game and the half life series it builds characters around you and has the environment shape the story instead of the main character using lots of dialogue

Top Bottom