• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

It'll always baffle me that the decided to have Artyom be a silent protagonist considering the amount of people that go with him and interact with him. I mean they are directly asking him questions and looking for feedback and he just stares at them. I mean shit, if you're going to have a faceless protagonist so the player can be immersed that's great and all, but Artyom has a clear backstory and he narrates/speaks during the loading screens and many cutscenes, so we know he has a voice. What's the point of making him mute in the game?

Or are we assuming that's somebody else reading what he wrote? Because if so then who's the man writing down during opening cutscenes, if not Artyom?

It's the lack of a response when people address him that irks me. Such an annoying storytelling method.

Yup. I saw that in the pause menu only recently and couldn't believe it. Way too risky though. As soon as I tested it I got the "ABOUT TO GET SPOTTED" sound cue even behind cover.

yeah, those sections are pretty cool

ih43rpV0PduYQ.gif

I'm playing through Last Light now, and my watch doesn't look like how that one looks in the pitcure, it looks like the watch from 2033. What's up with that? Do I get that watch later on in the game?

I'm on the
boat to Venice at the moment.

I'm playing through Last Light now, and my watch doesn't look like how that one looks in the pitcure, it looks like the watch from 2033. What's up with that? Do I get that watch later on in the game?

I'm on the

If you play on Ranger Mode the watch becomes more like a real one as compared to something magically counting down the gas mask time. Ie, you set a five minute timer any time you replace a filter.

misho8723

Banned

I'm on the

The watch changes by the mode you choose - in Survival they are analog, like in the original M2033, and in Spartan they are digital like in LL

Ah, forget that they added the Sparten/Survival distinction. Last Light really doesn't seem to have been changed at all with survival mode, still have plenty of ammo and find more military grade rounds than I do in 2033. Which isn't a big deal but they did say it was supposed to really change the structure of the game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ah, forget that they added the Sparten/Survival distinction. Last Light really doesn't seem to have been changed at all with survival mode, still have plenty of ammo and find more military grade rounds than I do in 2033. Which isn't a big deal but they did say it was supposed to really change the structure of the game.

I was honestly surprised (and maybe a little disappointed) at how little difference there was between the two modes in both games.

misho8723

Banned
After Metro games I'm now in a mood to play games like Cryostasis & Pathologic .. played already Cry when it came out in 2009 - it was and still is a great game.. in the case of Pathologic I probaly going to wait for that remake, even though it is going to take 2 years to be released (at best).. so maybe I try some of the STALKER expansions.. or Singularity

NySpeed

After Metro games I'm now in a mood to play games like Cryostasis & Pathologic .. played already Cry when it came out in 2009 - it was and still is a great game.. in the case of Pathologic I probaly going to wait for that remake, even though it is going to take 2 years to be released (at best).. so maybe I try some of the STALKER expansions.. or Singularity

I would love to play Cryostasis but I remember there being a huge problem with it running on multicore processors :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It'll always baffle me that the decided to have Artyom be a silent protagonist considering the amount of people that go with him and interact with him. I mean they are directly asking him questions and looking for feedback and he just stares at them. I mean shit, if you're going to have a faceless protagonist so the player can be immersed that's great and all, but Artyom has a clear backstory and he narrates/speaks during the loading screens and many cutscenes, so we know he has a voice. What's the point of making him mute in the game?

Or are we assuming that's somebody else reading what he wrote? Because if so then who's the man writing down during opening cutscenes, if not Artyom?
I don't mind silent protagonists but it always annoys the shit out of me when they speak at some points but not in gameplay. BF and CoD campaigns are even worse about this. The characters are fully present, talking, and modeled in cutscenes but silent in gameplay.

SoulClap

I just go to the
cave section before entering D6
. Pretty disappointed that they replaced the plated nosalis with those spider bug enemies.

misho8723

Banned
I would love to play Cryostasis but I remember there being a huge problem with it running on multicore processors :/

Yeah, I know about that problem.. I have like 33 fps most of the time that I play the game, but whatever, it's still worth to play this game

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I just go to the
cave section before entering D6
. Pretty disappointed that they replaced the plated nosalis with those spider bug enemies.

I honestly feel that was an improvement. The original version of that part felt uneven in terms of handling/difficulty.

I used the hookah in the brothel and Artyom said "ohhh yeah"...so he's not completely silent, haha.

They took out him saying "Fuck!" when
the railcar almost falls on him after Pavel dies
in 2033 Redux. I thought that was an odd omission.

Ekklessia

Neo Member
Spoilers for people who haven't beat Last Light:
I thought it was cool that they added Anna and Artyom's son in the starting menu of 2033

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking Last Light much, much less than I did 2033. I just finished the Church boss fight and I think I'm done with it.

I liked 2033 because of how cohesive and --- uhh --- quiet it was. I hate that this game is leaning more on cutscenes and a traditional villain and all that. It just makes the game more like everything else. Boring.

Yeah, I have a 780Ti and i53570K and it still runs anywhere from 20 to 100 FPS depending on what's going on. It just sputters about at random, really disappointing. Have been hoping for years that I'd finally be able to play the game with a consistent framerate, lol.

I'm liking Last Light much, much less than I did 2033. I just finished the Church boss fight and I think I'm done with it.

I liked 2033 because of how cohesive and --- uhh --- quiet it was. I hate that this game is leaning more on cutscenes and a traditional villain and all that. It just makes the game more like everything else. Boring.

You have a traditional villain, but 2033 was about as cliche as it gets with "save humanity" so it's not like one is better than the other in terms of originality.

The additional missions in Last Light really are a mixed bag.

Were some released as free DLC ? I would have hated to pay for Heavy Squad, Sniper and Anna missions. They're super short, generic and boring.

The rest is okay, I really dug Spider Tower (putting stuff on fire is cool) and the one where you have to go to the surface to collect artifacts.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The additional missions in Last Light really are a mixed bag.

Were some released as free DLC ? I would have hated to pay for Heavy Squad, Sniper and Anna missions. They're super short, generic and boring.

The rest is okay, I really dug Spider Tower (putting stuff on fire is cool) and the one where you have to go to the surface to collect artifacts.
They all cost money but the new missions generally came in 3 packs for $5

The entire season pass cost $15.

The khan and pavel levels were great.

Thanks. Season pass price was okay considering it's a rather large amount of content when put together.

I didn't even know Redux had DLC included, this was a nice surprise.

So I'm at the part of 2033 where I just resurfaced after helping an annoying kid find his mom. How much longer?

The way your character moved when you carried him was way more annoying than the kid himself. That shit gave me motion sickness.

You've still got a long way to go, I'd say about 4 hours.

Toa TAK

Banned
The way your character moved when you carried him was way more annoying than the kid himself. That shit gave me motion sickness.

You've still got a long way to go, I'd say about 4 hours.
I didn't mind the movement, it made sense.

Fuuuuuuuuuuu

This game feels like a chore now. :(

Hystzen

Eh I kind of like LL story the whole seeking redemption of artyom for his choices and how the rangers finding D6 affected the whole of Metro basically condemning the world to war.

SoulClap

I honestly feel that was an improvement. The original version of that part felt uneven in terms of handling/difficulty.

I guess the that spider bugs spawning infinitely made the section a bit tougher but the plated nosalis was super creepy. Spider bugs didn't have the quite the same impact on me.

Maybe I stopped watching for a second, but I only remember the kid saying something like "I'll stay behind you, and you shoot" and that was it.

Cutscenes in this game aren't exactly the most interesting part.

I think I figured out why Last Light Redux was driving me up the wall: they added a couple new enemy encounters and removed the Shadow Ranger achievement/trophy. Really egged at me that I was having so much trouble on Contagion when I didn't have that problem before. Shame too: I've been really wanting that achievement.

Reese-015

Goddamn man. I'm like 4hrs or so into 2033 I think, maybe a bit longer (just got through the turret section) and man this is soooo good. I'm enjoying this even more than Wolfenstein: The New Order!

Hystzen

So what is everybody's favourite stealth sections against humans?

I'm torn between Black Station and Bandit

Black Station is just fun you get punch and karate chop nazis. Taking out generator makes it easy sure but something awesome about using night vision goggles to walk around taking them out one by one. Plus you get a free silence VSV at start which is best weapon in game

Bandit gives me a Mad Max vibe some reason you have a railcart then you stumble apon group of civilians need help from fucked up bandits. It probably only level I want to kill people as the men pure evil and seem enjoy what they doing. It interesting in fact you can ignore helping people but soon I hear that scream I stop railcar get out and have throwing knives at ready.

It would be advisable to provide a list of your PC hardware so people can assist you with the issues you have.

I think this is everything relevant:

CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor

Cooler
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

MOBO
Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI FORMULA Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

Memory
Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit

SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD

GPU
3GB EVGA GTX 780Ti Dual BIOS Classi

Monitor
27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift Monitor

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64

I was happily playing with no issues until 4A released the last patch to fix a crash some users were experiencing on start-up. As soon as that installed i could no longer start either Metro 2033 or LL.

I've tried everything on-line (reinstalling direct X, deleting files, replacing the intro video with a text file,creating a new key in the registry etc.) and nothing has worked.

All my drivers for everything are at the latest version.

Finished up Wolfenstien this morning and, depending on when Destiny shows up in the mail, was thinking of tackling Metro next.

One question though, does 2033 have the same "design choice" Last Light had (at least I was told it had) where Ranger Mode turned off the notifications for QTEs? I'd like to go with ranger mode for my playthrough but dieing on those events without realizing I needed to press something sounds pretty poor.

Picking 2033 Redux first tomorrow instead of Destiny, will wait on that. Good pricing on Metro and I did not play either one, glad I skipped them.

I am in the final battle in Wolfie and also playing TLOU R.

Top Bottom