• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

PaintTinJr

I dunno about the EU but Microsoft has absolutely nothing to worry about with the FTC. American company doing deals on American soil. They will not intervene. American politicians receive huge bags of money as "donations" every year to make sure they do not intervene in stuff like this. Trust me, the FTC will fall in line. You are crazy if you think otherwise.
The CMA decision now gives Lina Khan and the FTC a nice piece of evidence for taking their anti-trust claims to federal court IMO - going by what HoegLaw tweeted,

DrFigs

I'd actually fucking die of laughter if MS successfully appealed this. I got no horse in this race but there are so many bitter cunts out there giving kicks into each other that I just want MS to be successful now. Hopefully the CMA changes their mind or the UK gov steps in to over rule the CMA.

This whole thing shows how pathetic some people are. Imagine defending multi billion/trillion $ companies. Get a grip of yourselves for goodness sake.
yep. i thought we learned about celebrating too soon yesterday

Last edited:
I dunno about the EU but Microsoft has absolutely nothing to worry about with the FTC. American company doing deals on American soil. They will not intervene. American politicians receive huge bags of money as "donations" every year to make sure they do not intervene in stuff like this. Trust me, the FTC will fall in line. You are crazy if you think otherwise.
The FTC isn't just blocking the deal, but is also suing MS on top of it. That one they would need to beat in court and fuck knows how long they would take to win the case (if they would at all).

Amazing how we didn't see this mass hysteria when Nvidia tried to buy ARM and was also blocked by regulators in a circa $50B deal...

zomboden

Banned
So is corruption good now? The fact that this is case shows deep rotten spaces into a democracy.
I'm not saying corruption is good but government's have been corrupt since the dawn of time. Catholic church used to take donations from Kings/Queens and if they didn't donate they would declare that their nations weren't aligning with god. Literally using religion as blackmail. It's been around forever.
The CMA decision now gives Lina Khan and the FTC a nice piece of evidence for taking their anti-trust claims to federal court IMO - going by what HoegLaw tweeted,
Oh yeah, she will definitely agree with them. Because now she has that backup. She can say hey they said this and we agree. But if they all said yes she would have had to back down IMO.

A monopoly on what? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+
So let's say that MS gives up on this whole shitshow and maybe down the line sells Xbox. Sony is the only major console seller out there. They can do what they want. You think $70 games are bad? What if they start charging $80-90 for games, raise the price of PS+, and the prices of their consoles?

Most people on here are more then eager to get a kick into MS but the fact is they are the only major competition to Sony. Nintendo are doing their own thing. Unless Apple comes in guns blazing then nobody is going to compete with Sony. Even Microsoft who has more than enough fuck you money than Sony is struggling. Who else is going to put up a fight against Sony?

Beat your chests all you like but if MS fucks off then it's only going to affect all gamers. Suck up to Sony all you like for now but you better all hope and pray that MS is strong and giving Sony a run for their money.

GHG

Ummm.....

you don't think people on this forum have been siding with MS/Sony?

Again I dont really give a fuck what MS (or Sony) do. This whole shitshow doesn't bother me. But you have some weirdos defending both MS/Sony as if their lifes depend on it.

You clearly do. This was you the moment the decision was announced:

I'm outta here LOL.

And just prior:

Don't bother lol. You could spend hours arguing with people over this. Sony fans don't want this to go through because it doesn't benefit Sony. If it was the other way around we wouldn't have a 874 page discussion about it.

And now you want the UK government to get involved to overturn the decision? The reason being:

I just want MS to be successful now.

But yeh, totally not batting for a multi trillion dollar corporation, not at all.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm not saying corruption is good but government's have been corrupt since the dawn of time. Catholic church used to take donations from Kings/Queens and if they didn't donate they would declare that their nations weren't aligning with god. Literally using religion as blackmail. It's been around forever.

Oh yeah, she will definitely agree with them. Because now she has that backup. She can say hey they said this and we agree. But if they all said yes she would have had to back down IMO.
Yes blocking a deal using a market of less than 10k concurrent users when Sony has 150 million consoles totally makes sense 😆. Want to kill innovation and investment in new markets this is how to do it.

Last edited:
So let's say that MS gives up on this whole shitshow and maybe down the line sells Xbox. Sony is the only major console seller out there. They can do what they want. You think $70 games are bad? What if they start charging $80-90 for games, raise the price of PS+, and the prices of their consoles?

Most people on here are more then eager to get a kick into MS but the fact is they are the only major competition to Sony. Nintendo are doing their own thing. Unless Apple comes in guns blazing then nobody is going to compete with Sony. Even Microsoft who has more than enough fuck you money than Sony is struggling. Who else is going to put up a fight against Sony?

Beat your chests all you like but if MS fucks off then it's only going to affect all gamers. Suck up to Sony all you like for now but you better all hope and pray that MS is strong and giving Sony a run for their money.
001.png

Shakka43

Ummm.....

you don't think people on this forum have been siding with MS/Sony?

Again I dont really give a fuck what MS (or Sony) do. This whole shitshow doesn't bother me. But you have some weirdos defending both MS/Sony as if their lifes depend on it.
And the way to show them weirdos is Microsoft winning an appeal? Sounds to me like you indeed give a fuck and have a few horses in this race.

zomboden

Banned

Consoles will be weaker to maximize profit. Won't have to worry about a competitor having a better deal on their console.
Game's will be less polished because why focus time on game's when we are the only person selling games 90% of the time. People are gonna buy them anyways.
Game prices will go up. Because there's nobody else to keep this in check anymore. Third parties will raise their prices to match. Because why not, it's free money.

You got PS+ game catalogue because of game pass.
You got PlayStation Network because of Xbox Live on 360
You got no DRM, no always online, etc. because people clowned Xbox for it.

Competition make's companies do things they wouldn't normally do. Because it hurts their bottom line but they have to do it cause if not the competitor has the advantage.

I can't wait for a 50 TF PS6 and then a 52 TF PS7 and you can only play new games on the PS7 because fuck you buy a new console.

zomboden

Banned
Yes blocking a deal using a market of less than 10k concurrent users when Sony has 150 million consoles totally makes sense 😆. Want to kill innovation and investment in new markets this is how to do it.
Like I said earlier. Almost more PS5's are sold in a single day than the entire max capacity of XCLOUD in the UK. 3k vs 5k.

But don't worry they have predicted that in many many many years Xbox will have a cloud monopoly. Woo!

Last edited:

Consoles will be weaker to maximize profit. Won't have to worry about a competitor having a better deal on their console.
Game's will be less polished because why focus time on game's when we are the only person selling games 90% of the time. People are gonna buy them anyways.
Game prices will go up. Because there's nobody else to keep this in check anymore. Third parties will raise their prices to match. Because why not, it's free money.

You got PS+ game catalogue because of game pass.
You got PlayStation Network because of Xbox Live on 360
You got no DRM, no always online, etc. because people clowned Xbox for it.

Competition make's companies do things they wouldn't normally do. Because it hurts their bottom line but they have to do it cause if not the competitor has the advantage.

I can't wait for a 50 TF PS6 and then a 52 TF PS7 and you can only play new games on the PS7 because fuck you buy a new console.
Y'all have straight lost your minds lol.
You're fear mongering a loss of competition because the richest company in the world wasn't able to complete a 70 billion dollar merger.

You clearly do. This was you the moment the decision was announced:

And just prior:

And now you want the UK government to get involved to overturn the decision? The reason being:

But yeh, totally not batting for a multi trillion dollar corporation, not at all.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office
I said "I'm outta here LOL" because I knew it'd be a shitshow of Sony fans gloating and beating their chests.

And well done taking my comments out of context. I don't give a shit how this goes. CMA refusing MS/ABK didn't make me break down in tears or jump for joy. I only want to see MS be succesful overrruling this because it'd upset the Sony fans who think they have won this stupid fucking console war. Maybe I just like routing for the underdog.

This forum is obviously heavily biased toward Sony so I could waste my time arguing but I know I'm not going to get anywhere with you lot. Nobody is allowed to say anything bad against Sony. I'll probably get a perm ban for my posts but I don't give a fuck.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
Y'all have straight lost your minds lol.
You're fear mongering a loss of competition because the richest company in the world wasn't able to complete a 70 billion dollar merger.
I truly believe they will strip funding from Xbox because of not getting their way with this merger. Strip funding from an already weak position.

I truly believe they will strip funding from Xbox because of not getting their way with this merger. Strip funding from an already weak position.
So you think sympathy for MS's mistake of going after this deal, losing it, and then potentially making another bad decision to strip funding from XBOX instead of, you know, having good messaging, marketing, and support for their studios should be the deciding factor in a multinational legal case?

Last edited:

ulantan

I said "I'm outta here LOL" because I knew it'd be a shitshow of Sony fans gloating and beating their chests.

And well done taking my comments out of context. I don't give a shit how this goes. CMA refusing MS/ABK didn't make me break down in tears or jump for joy. I only want to see MS be succesful overrruling this because it'd upset the Sony fans who think they have won this stupid fucking console war. Maybe I just like routing for the underdog.

This forum is obviously heavily biased toward Sony so I could waste my time arguing but I know I'm not going to get anywhere with you lot. Nobody is allowd to say anything bad against Sony. I'll probably get a perm ban for my posts but I don't give a fuck.
What underdog Microsoft got more money than than a lot of nation's they aren't going anywhere.

GHG

This forum is obviously heavily biased toward Sony so I could waste my time arguing but I know I'm not going to get anywhere with you lot. Nobody is allowd to say anything bad against Sony. I'll probably get a perm ban for my posts but I don't give a fuck.

Do you want to know what's funny about these sudden outbursts of yours?

Nobody is even discussing Sony in this thread and very rarely have they been brought up in any serious discussion. That's not even what this is about anymore.

Rent free springs to mind, I hope you sort it out eventually because it seems to be weighing heavy on you. And yes, you clearly do care, the first step will be admitting that to yourself.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
This forum is obviously heavily biased toward Sony so I could waste my time arguing but I know I'm not going to get anywhere with you lot. Nobody is allowed to say anything bad against Sony. I'll probably get a perm ban for my posts but I don't give a fuck.
This forum is way way more biased towards Sony than the "other place" which I lurk on but refuse to be a member of that.

There was a poll yesterday and more people said they owned a PS5 on here than a fucking PC...

And look at the Hogwarts what platform are you going to be playing on? It was like 60-70% PS5.

This whole “Give me what I want or I’ll jump” shit really gotta go.

Can’t be saying MS has infinite cash, Xbox will never die, the only way is up, in one week and then in the next everybody is losing their minds.
I didn't say MS has infinite cash nor that Xbox will never die.

I simply said that MS could either pass up on the ABK deal or if things got worse then sell off the Xbox portion of their company. If MS exited the gaming market then it'd only really leave Sony as the major console maker. Nintendo is succesful yes but they don't directly compete with Sony or MS.

Interfectum

Fearmongering bullshit. MS isn't owed Activision Blizzard so they can go toe to toe with the Evil Sony corporation. If MS dropped out of consoles it opens the door for new competition.

Topher

Gold Member

Bullshit. People here say negative things about Sony all the time. People like you simply pretend those posts don't exist so you can continue your absurd delusion of constantly being persecuted.

Fearmongering bullshit. MS isn't owed Activision Blizzard so they can go toe to toe with the Evil Sony corporation. If MS dropped out of consoles it opens the door for new competition.
It may be "fearmongering bullshit" but if MS weren't in the gaming market anymore (which is what so many people seem to want) then it would affect not just Xbox customers but Sony too.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So you think sympathy for MS's mistake of going after this deal, losing it, and then potentially making another bad decision to strip funding from XBOX instead of, you know, having good messaging, marketing, and support for their studios should be the deciding factor in a multinational legal case?
If it was so easy there be more than 2 companies in the high performance console market. You wouldn't of seen all competitors but 2 drop out if it was so easy.

Last edited:
Bullshit. People here say negative things about Sony all the time. People like you simply pretend those posts don't exist so you can continue your absurd delusion of constantly being persecuted.
They might say them "all the time" but somehow I seem to miss them and I spend way too much time on this forum than i'd like to admit. I don't pretend they dont exist. Please show me a fair comparison.

Interfectum

It may be "fearmongering bullshit" but if MS weren't in the gaming market anymore (which is what so many people seem to want) then it would affect not just Xbox customers but Sony too.
No one wants Xbox to leave, most want Xbox to be competent and competitive. They are neither and their $70 billion wrecking ball to the industry isn't worth keeping Xbox around if that's what they need to succeed.

Last edited:
If it was so easy there be more than 2 companies in the high performance console market. You wouldn't if seen all competitors but 2 drop out if it was so easy.
I didn’t say it was easy. But it’s gonna be easier for the richest company in the world with 70 billion to drop on mergers.

I also wasn’t talking to you.

Last edited:

ulantan

Of course they have more money. I never mentioned money. Don't you agree that Sony is the dominant console maker/publisher? or would you say that MS is successful/competitive?
Microsoft has refused to put out compelling games despite the money and talent they already have. That's not on anyone but them they haven't competed in a decade.

Lol @ the idea of Microsoft leaving UK because of this.
  • What happens to all existing Xbox console users in the UK who have already bought the hardware?
  • What happens to all Microsoft Window users in the UK?
  • What happens to all the UK companies and customers who use Azure?
  • What happens to UK Game Pass users who have 3 years of Game Pass left?
lmao. The cope is real.
You're seriously overestimating the importance of a tiny, gloomy, rainy island nation of like 500 people. Take it from me, an American...the UK doesn't matter. If they choose to be the only ones that don't want MS services in their country, that's gunna hurt them much more than it is gunna hurt MS and they would be forced to come around. God, you PS fanboys really want to keep the those 2 weeks of exclusive COD missions THAT bad huh?

This forum is way way more biased towards Sony than the "other place" which I lurk on but refuse to be a member of that.

There was a poll yesterday and more people said they owned a PS5 on here than a fucking PC...

And look at the Hogwarts what platform are you going to be playing on? It was like 60-70% PS5.
And could you show me polls from here that say what platforms users use and how many people bought HL on PS5 vs PC?

GHound

This whole “Give me what I want or I’ll jump” shit really gotta go.

Can’t be saying MS has infinite cash, Xbox will never die, the only way is up, in one week and then in the next everybody is losing their minds.
Many will say what benefits their position the most at the time, speaking from a position of feigned weakness or strength in an attempt to appeal to the emotions of others like a fucking snake.

It's disgusting behavior, but very human.

Interfectum

This forum is biased towards good content. The latest poll has FF16, Zelda and Starfield near even.

If there is a lack of enthusiasm towards Xbox on this forum maybe instead of blaming the community try blaming the company unable to generate excitement around their brand.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You're seriously overestimating the importance of a tiny, gloomy, rainy island nation of like 500 people. Take it from me, an American...the UK doesn't matter. If they choose to be the only ones that don't want MS services in their country, that's gunna hurt them much more than it is gunna hurt MS and they would be forced to come around. God, you PS fanboys really want to keep the those 2 weeks of exclusive COD missions THAT bad huh?
Honestly I can no longer tell if it is satyre or serious, some people have said such crazy things here.

Tams

BYH3KYDT6W37IRUJVHOH.jpg

Top Bottom