• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

zomboden

Banned
The deal getting blocked benefits gamers in general.

Why do Xbox fans want this deal to go through? Because it's going to be on Game Pass? No, the fanboys simply wanted bragging rights.

I said from the beginning that I don't want either Sony or Microsoft going after major publishers. Keep the major publishers third party. Microsoft doesn't need Acitivison to compete, they need better management.
Eh, don't worry. When Sony wants a publisher it will go through because they need it to compete in cloud gaming against Microsoft.

Last edited:
The deal getting blocked benefits gamers in general.

Why do Xbox fans want this deal to go through? Because it's going to be on Game Pass? No, the fanboys simply wanted bragging rights.

I said from the beginning that I don't want either Sony or Microsoft going after major publishers. Keep the major publishers third party. Microsoft doesn't need Acitivison to compete, they need better management.

But I'm looking at the actual reasoning the CMA gave....not what console fans on either platform are saying.

The CMA gave specific reasoning about cloud gaming. Now that the deal isn't going through.... What alternative is there to play this game via cloud gaming? It's gone from being available on tons of platforms (via cloud) to none.

So how is it helping cloud gaming overall?

Last edited:

Robins

It should be illegal to block acquisitions based on hypothetical future situations. They assume cloud gaming is going to take off in popularity and they assume that Sony won't have infrastructure to compete with Microsoft by the time that happens. Dumb decision all around.

Really bad news for Xbox. Will only slow sales down more. Not looking good. Good chance people will look back on this as CMA killing the Xbox brand.
I think it makes complete sense.

All business is done based on future projections.

Sony currently use Microsoft servers and there is no chance they would have the ability to build out their own server infrastructure just for cloud gaming.

Whether people like it or not, everything is moving to the cloud and Microsoft could be in a position to monopolise the market if they had the games, service and infrastructure. The only thing they are missing is the games.

TrebleShot

Where can you stream now it's not their subscription service? What future cloud gaming service is it going to appear on?
Your not understanding, MS isnt in the XBOX or PC game, its in the Cloud Streaming game, the point of buying ACTI/BLIZZ ist to have their library exclusive to that streaming platform, us as the consumer only then has one option in terms of a cloud based streaming service - GAME PASS.

NEOGAF will tell you that it has no future or We don’t want cloud based services, well, in time, thats exactly what you will get along side native gaming and just like we’ve seen with movies/music it will eventually take over.

In that future we want options, we want to be able to use Amazon, Sony or MS streaming options, we don’t want MS snapping up the biggest publisher and making their titles only available on their platform as it will stilt improvement and allow them to solely control cost and availability.

They already have a strong foot to kick off from having the infrastructure for cloud and providing it to others. If they had the content control also it becomes a horrible situation where everyone is reliant on them solely for everything.

COD as I understand it along with other big titles is enough to force than monopoly and exactly why they are willing to pay 70bln for it.

Poll on REE made last night:

QLJIvJO.png

95% caught with their pants down :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Sony currently use Microsoft servers and there is no chance they would have the ability to build out their own server infrastructure just for cloud gaming.

Whether people like it or not, everything is moving to the cloud and Microsoft could be in a position to monopolise the market if they had the games, service and infrastructure. The only thing they are missing is the games.
Microsoft itself propped up Cloud gaming market. They kept saying that's their main focus now.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
God damn.

Xbox as a brand is in real trouble.

Maybe for the better. This whole generation so far has been about MS wanting to buy the industry because they are behind in creativity and to manage their studios. turds like Halo Infinite and some other rebooted projects should have been a warning already. Their focus was on crying and whining at the competition "They block games nonsense" when no one blocks when both parties sign deals. No one prevented MS from signing no deals or better deals. In fact MS rejected a majority of those pitches and now "they can't compete". Fuck off it's what Steve Jobs said from the beginning and the same shit is happening again.

I personally won't miss them if they are gone from the console market. They should go third party with their service since they want "everyone" to play their games right?

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned

Suddenly everyone worries about the cloud. When not a single person could careless about it 1 hour ago. I've got 1,000 mb's fiber internet which is 5x faster than the average US connection and I also do not have a data cap. Which a lot of people have. And when I stream a 4k video game at 60 fps when lots of things happen on the screen it pixalates. And I still have high latency and packet loss. Good luck with the cloud future. It's going to be an eternity before people will have internet connections worthy of seamless 4k 60/120 video game streaming. Imagine how strong the hardware is going to be by then. No chance that Internet gets better faster than hardware. Overall it's a dumb decision. I don't think cloud gaming is the future. Nobody wants to play a soft video that pixelates, has input delay, etc. When they can play natively.

TrebleShot

Especially since Xbox would partially find themselves in such a position merely because their parent company had the money to acquire the largest, most successful third party studios.

I've barely been following this entire story, but reading the CMA's decision I found it hard to disagree with them.
Indeed, so it’s not XBOX plastic box 128283 that wins its MS as a technology corporation.
It makes no sense for this deal to be approved.

If you see all the dick swinging MS did leading up to this it made the CMA decision even easier, your already seeing them deciding who they will do deals with and what the terms are without negotiations, just blanket deals based on nothing with those platforms happy to snap it up as they currently do not have cloud based solutions or hopes to launch them in the next 5/10 years.

They are already dictating what platforms will and will not have the service.

Honestly surprised. The last revision from CMA almost indicated it's a going to get approved. Welp.

Happy and sad at the same time.

Happy that MS won't touch it and ruin it like most of their studios right now aside from couple. They are really horrible at managing games. All these studios and 1.5 years later and we going to get an AA game fps at 30 frames... Like.. fuck off !

Not happy because Sony got away with their bullshit.

In general, I am positively happy that this kind of practice stopped at this high level. We want more studios and publishers. Not less
What does any of this have to do with Sony getting away with their bullshit. Please explain me what bullshit you are talking about except for the attempts to block this deal for maybe valid reasons like other companies did as well?

It should be illegal to block acquisitions based on hypothetical future situations. They assume cloud gaming is going to take off in popularity and they assume that Sony won't have infrastructure to compete with Microsoft by the time that happens. Dumb decision all around.

Really bad news for Xbox. Will only slow sales down more. Not looking good. Good chance people will look back on this as CMA killing the Xbox brand.
If Xbox is in such a state that not getting to buy the biggest 3rd party publisher (whose games already launch on the console, anyway) would kill them, that is on MS, not the government. MS is not some new entry into the market. They've been at this for over 20 years, now. They had a shot at greatness with the 360, mainly thanks to Sony stumbling, but they squandered it with their dream of completely controlling your gaming and the eradication of used games. Then, squandered it even more by releasing many mediocre games, cancelling others, during the XBO gen, then having nothing for launch with the XSX. Their trickle MAY finally end this year, more than TWO years after launch.

Again, these were MS's decisions, not the governments.

feynoob

If CMA were to approve this deal, here is what would have happened to gaming industry.

Sony buying square/Capcom, which will block Xbox access to those games.
Bigger companies will buy bigger publishers.

It won't end good for the gaming industry.

The side affects outweighs the benefits for these purchases.

I am glad that we won't get any big purchase in the future.

Kotick must be pissed because now he won't get his big bonus.

When MS pull out eventually (not from his ass from this deal I mean), he'll retire/resign.

Then someone not connected to this mess will take over hopefully.
Fuck em, they already own OpenAI, illegaly changed it from a non profitable company to comercial using previous investors money. Lazy ass mofos, work on new games and studios don't buy whole publishers.

100%. I was watching an interview with Elon Musk the other day and he explained how/why OpenAI was originally created, it's not for profit beginnings etc.

Now Nadella has got his wicked hands on it, it has turned into super-charged AI advancement where profit is the most important thing, no fucks given about how the tech (GPT-4 and upwards) is potentially extremely damaging/dangerous for society without the right safeguards being put in place first.

But I'm looking at the actual reasoning the CMA gave....not what console fans on either platform are saying.

The CMA gave specific reasoning about cloud gaming. Now that the deal isn't going through.... What alternative is there to play this game via cloud gaming? It's gone from being available on tons of platforms (via cloud) to none.

So how is it helping cloud gaming overall?
If you read the CMA article it tells about that MS already owns a major percentage of the cloud gaming business, and with this deal it would be even higher which technically means that no other parties can even hope to start to compete with MS. This is prevented now, so other companies have more chance to compete in the cloud gaming space.

Pedro Motta

Now Nadella has got his wicked hands on it, it has turned into super-charged AI advancement where profit is the most important thing, no fucks given about how the tech (GPT-4 and upwards) is potentially extremely damaging/dangerous for society without the right safeguards being put in place first.
They do it like they always do, wiggle their billions in front of things and take ownership without having to to the work.

I dream of the day Linux is the number one OS in the world.

Top Bottom