• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

Good idea, kill off your second biggest and only other market because of hurt feelings.

Brad will be calling you later to offer you an exec post at MS
Xbox series sales in UK pales in comparison to this deal.

The 360 took like two years just to sell a couple million in the UK lol.

MS will probably make more money from PlayStation COD sales in UK alone.

dotnotbot

Can someone explain why Microsoft can't buy activision if they want to sell ?
If it was a buyout... then sure. But if activision wants to sell?
And if really UK can block it.. so what? it's just uk.

Anyway. I dont care for cod, cloud or any of activision shit.

The fact that I want to sell you my kid doesn't mean I should be able to.

I've got no kids, don't call cops

Last edited:

phaedrus

Presented without comment

BXzQ1Nq.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Presented without comment

This is some desperation shit and is only getting worse for the Xbox platform. Focus on your own platform instead giving away all these meaningless deals to Cloudplatforms no one ever would use. I have a feeling these regulators don't give a fuck about all these giveaways atm.

P.S. Can i have some 10 year deal so i can run it on my Synology NAS?:messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
You would expect things to calm down after a couple of days but they doubling down... At some point I need to work but following this trainwreck is a lot of fun
The loudest ones are the ones getting fucked in the end. Bobby will say anything for the free 3bn. His support for the merger will crumple in July when he finishes up those obligations.

This sideshow gave Bobby free reign at ABK, gave COD the public awareness of the most important game franchise of all time to non gamers, getting 3 billion and removed all the public heat looking for his removal at ABK for his gross mishandling of sexual assault cases in ABK.

The deal is dead. The only way this can get worse for Xbox is if they fight ABK on paying the 3 billion. Game over, ball burst...that disgusting pig Bobby won.

Zheph

The loudest ones are the ones getting fucked in the end. Bobby will say anything for the free 3bn. His support for the merger will crumple in July when he finishes up those obligations.

This sideshow gave Bobby free reign at ABK, gave COD the public awareness of the most important game franchise of all time to non gamers, getting 3 billion and removed all the public heat looking for his removal at ABK for his gross mishandling of sexual assault cases in ABK.

The deal is dead. The only way this can get worse for Xbox is if they fight ABK on paying the 3 billion. Game over, ball burst...that disgusting pig Bobby won.
I believe both actors of the deal know it's over but one is having a tantrum and the other one is desperate to get 3bn, sad show

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
CMA already outright said they won’t be influenced by the EU’s decision.
And then said that they have been working with them just before revealing their decision. The advantage that Microsoft have in this case is that they know that what they have proposed was not enough to the CMA. They have the occasion to offer more to the EU. But i seems that they are doing just more "deals" with obscure cloud service providers for easy PR at the moment. The EU will maybe accept as their situation is not the same as the UK but they have a good chance of following the CMA too. I hope they do.

Thief1987

StueyDuck

And I thought the console warrior outrage was bad when the buyout was first announced...

Twitter weirdos just tryna one up each other clearly.

StueyDuck

That's my impression as well. The panic is setting in, and there's probably a lot of finger pointing going on behind the scenes atm, as well as despair at loss of big payouts.
The companies make billions for each other.

I don't think any relationships are being harmed here. When uncle Phil flops out his billion dollar check book and so does Jim, Kotick will literally turn into a cartoon character with dollar sign eyes and his tongue rolling out his mouth

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The companies make billions for each other.

I don't think any relationships are being harmed here. When uncle Phil flops out his billion dollar check book and so does Jim, Kotick will literally turn into a cartoon character with dollar sign eyes and his tongue rolling out his mouth
This is a very optimistic take on the situation. If the merger end Microsoft will have to pay 3 billions to ABK. IF they do that, Phil will have to convince them to pay even more, for just a marketing deal. Not easy to do. Sony already has a deal, and will find themselves in a better bargaining position if Microsoft do not pay up the 3 billions( or 2.5?). They have been burned when the merger began and lost some of their capitalisation last year as a result. They may decide to try again to have the biggest FPS in house with the studios that they have just brought, like Bungie, Firesprite...
Depending of how the situation change Sony may decide not to talk with ABK unless Kotick is let go for example. Or demand a longer deal with strong anti gamepass clauses to protect themselves for the rest of the generation. Playing hard because they know that Microsoft ( if they refuse to pay the billions they will owe ABK) will never be able to match any offer that Sony can make. Or ABK may decide to wait until next year and see if the appeal to the CAT succeeds.

StueyDuck

This is a very optimistic take on the situation. If the merger end Microsoft will have to pay 3 billions to ABK. IF they do that, Phil will have to convince them to pay even more, for just a marketing deal. Not easy to do. Sony already has a deal, and will find themselves in a better bargaining position if Microsoft do not pay up the 3 billions( or 2.5?). They have been burned when the merger began and lost some of their capitalisation last year as a result. They may decide to try again to have the biggest FPS in house with the studios that they have just brought, like Bungie, Firesprite...
Depending of how the situation change Sony may decide not to talk with ABK unless Kotick is let go for example. Or demand a longer deal with strong anti gamepass clauses to protect themselves for the rest of the generation. Playing hard because they know that Microsoft ( if they refuse to pay the billions they will owe ABK) will never be able to match any offer that Sony can make. Or ABK may decide to wait until next year and see if the appeal to the CAT succeeds.
Don't get me wrong... there will be blood for certain.

But if next shareholder meeting kotick Says "we were offered 15 billion dollars by MS for gamepass but I turned them down" he's gonna be axed faster than you can say his name. Thats assuming kotick still leads the charge (I'm sure he will)

Basically my point was money talks... and if the price is right nothing will be lost.

And in today's modern era of connectivity and mega huge corporate structures I just don't see pettiness like we may have seen in the 80s or 90s when it came to big tech

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong... there will be blood for certain.

But if next shareholder meeting kotick Says "we were offered 15 billion dollars by MS for gamepass but I turned them down" he's gonna be axed faster than you can say his name. Thats assuming kotick still leads the charge (I'm sure he will)

Basically my point was money talks... and if the price is right nothing will be lost.

And in today's modern era of connectivity and mega huge corporate structures I just don't see pettiness like we may have seen in the 80s or 90s when it came to big tech
Absolutely. But the problem is that to offer 15 billions Microsoft will have to pay up 18 billions. This is on top of the fact that the PS5 is more important to ABK in the first place. So Microsoft refused to do it before, and let Sony go away with it for so long. Regardless of what value you put on ABK marketing deals, or even a Gamepass one, Microsoft will have to pay their fee first. And then have to compete from a position of weakness against Sony. Who have all the reasons to go hard against ABK. And 1 year left to the present deal to see safely the situation go even more in their favor.

mdkirby

Great news. The deal was a threat to business models underpinning the viability of the sort of games I enjoy. Hopefully they fail in their appeals, and can focus their energies on actually making and releasing good games with the many many studios they already own (yet whose output is seemingly slow and lacking)

Top Bottom