• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft explains how its DLSS competitor uses AI to improve any game (Auto SR will ship first on Copilot Plus PCs with Qualcomm chips)

Microsoft is launching a new Automatic super resolution (Auto SR) feature on its upcoming Copilot Plus PCs that will compete with upscale technologies like Nvidia’s DLSS. The AI-based Auto SR feature will automatically upscale game resolutions and improve frame rates, and Microsoft is now detailing exactly how it’s different to DLSS, XeSS, and FSR.

Auto SR will be integrated into Windows 11, and available on Copilot Plus devices that have a dedicated Neural Processing Unit (NPU). It’s designed to work with existing games with no manual configurations required and no need for game developers to change how their games are rendered.

“Auto SR is different from super resolution technologies like AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, Intel XeSS, and NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution built into games,” says the DirectX team in a blog post. “These approaches require games to alter their rendering, for example, by using jitter and MIP bias to add finer details. In contrast, Auto SR tackles the task of enhancing games without the extra information to improve games as they exist today.”
Comparison_2_1440P_Auto_SR_Foliage_1MB_Resize.png

Microsoft’s example of Auto SR upscaling a game at 720p (right) and improving the frame rate. Image: Microsoft

Auto SR uses larger on-device AI models combined with the NPU on Copilot Plus devices to apply AI enhancements to game visuals, all while rendering a game at a lower resolution to improve frame rates. Microsoft is offloading the work directly to the NPU here so it’s not even hitting the GPU to get upscaling working. “This strategic shift not only improves framerates but also enhances the energy efficiency of each frame rendered, significantly boosting the overall gaming experience,” says the DirectX team.

There is a slight latency tradeoff, though. “While running our large model, Auto SR introduces a single frame of latency on average as it uses AI to significantly boost your game’s visuals,” admits Microsoft. We’ll have to test this fully to see if that single frame is noticeable, and which games it impacts more than others.
lcimg_b4830088_9f30_4937_ae8f_596c0d493b38.jpeg

At launch on June 18th, Microsoft is only automatically enhancing 11 games that have been tested to improve visual quality, framerates, or a combination of both. Borderlands 3, Control (DX11), Dark Souls III, God of War, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 and The Witcher 3, are all on the launch list that have been verified by Microsoft.

That list will grow over time, and it’s easy to toggle the Auto SR feature on or off and adjust settings for individual games. Microsoft says you can also “explore this feature on additional untested games,” and force the setting on. “There may be some quirks and we can’t guarantee it will apply or improve your experience,” warns Microsoft.
The first set of Copilot Plus PCs are set to launch on June 18th with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon X Elite chips, so it won’t be long until we see how well Microsoft’s Auto SR works in reality. The feature will also eventually be available on new AMD- and Intel-powered Copilot Plus PCs, although it sounds like these machines won’t have Copilot Plus AI features until a post-launch update ships.

Microsoft is now working on Auto SR improvements, including support for HDR and multiple-monitor configurations. “As we continue to explore Auto SR capabilities, we look forward to exploring bringing Auto SR to more devices and a broader selection of x64 emulated games,” says the DirectX team.

Auto SR tackles the task of enhancing games without the extra information to improve games as they exist today
That's not a plus for players, only for developers and the IQ will forever be inferior to the others smarter solutions using things like motion vectors data from game. Besides developers are used to DLSS, FSR now so it wouldn't be a problem right now, not to the extent is was in 2016 when Sony innovated with CBR. The real problem is currently those NPUs are not powerful enough to compete with DLSS tensor cores so they need to market this limitation as a plus when it's not.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The real problem is currently those NPUs are not powerful enough to compete with DLSS tensor cores so they need to market this limitation as a plus when it's not.

Seems like a value add using the NPU, not a ‘limitation’. laptops with powerful RTX GPUs will still have NPUs capable of doing some of these side operations.

For ARM chips like the Qualcomm ones, DLSS and XeSS aren’t available.

We've already got DLSS and FSR, maybe Microsoft should concentrate on making better games instead!

Yeah, the guys responsible for working on DirectX features are the ones making games 🙄

Options are good until it makes the life of devs and or consumers harder. Right now competing things are probably good, but if MSDirectX, Nvidia, Intel, AMD all do their own thing, all with different hurdles and results it might get needlessly convoluted. Not much into PC gaming now, but all these quality levels for AF and AA were always annoying af to choose from without easily knowing how much fps it costs and barely different results without a side by side possiblity.

Schmendrick

So instead of DLSS tied to the proprietary hardware of NVIDIA we`re supposed to root for the solution tied to the proprietary hardware of Microsoft, with the difference being that the Microsoft Copilot+ "PC" encompasses the whole system which means you basically lose everything that`s cool about PC hardware because you`re tied to fixed setups (for now at least).

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Your point about how even the janitors at MS should be drafted into making games?

go away GIF
Its about Upscaling technology for games, for Microsoft,'s lacklustre games they've released so far, which is the real reason your replying as usual like you did with Redfall with me, then claimed you were always against it which was a lie as you defended it blindly

I think its a waste of time and MS should concentrate on making better games and you not liking my opinion is irrelevant

Ozriel

M$FT
Its about Upscaling technology for games, for Microsoft,'s lacklustre games they've released so far, which is the real reason your replying as usual like you did with Redfall with me, then claimed you were always against it which was a lie as you defended it blindly

I think its a waste of time and MS should concentrate on making better games and you not liking my opinion is irrelevant

If you read the OP, you’d see it’s aimed at upscaling ALL games.
If you gave it the bare minimum thought, you’d know this is being driven by the Windows/DirectX teams who aren’t game developers.

Try to aim for sensible contributions to technical threads.

Sneak peak at what's powering their next gen console giving it "the biggest performance upgrade ever" or whatever it is that they said? 🤔

I don’t think any console going forward will launch without AI upscaling tech and hardware. We’ll see that starting with the PS5 Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sneak peak at what's powering their next gen console giving it "the biggest performance upgrade ever" or whatever it is that they said? 🤔

This is specifically for Co-pilot powered PC's, if their next console is the same, then probably.

At this point, both Sony and MS's next console hardware will very likely include native up-scaling technology.

Laptop1991

If you read the OP, you’d see it’s aimed at upscaling ALL games.
If you gave it the bare minimum thought, you’d know this is being driven by the Windows/DirectX teams who aren’t game developers.

Try to aim for sensible contributions to technical threads.

I don’t think any console going forward will launch without AI upscaling tech and hardware. We’ll see that starting with the PS5 Pro.
Why would i take notice of an insulting hypocritical childish fanboy liar like you. Keep crying

djjinx2

Well done Laptop1991 for shitting up the thread before any relevant chat has happened yeesh.

On topic this feature would be great for the rumoured handheld, on a big screen console if image quality suffers then not so much, DLSS and FSR rule that roost.

Laptops it could be useful especially in the lower price range

Laptop1991

Well done Laptop1991 for shitting up the thread before any relevant chat has happened yeesh.

On topic this feature would be great for the rumoured handheld, on a big screen console if image quality suffers then not so much, DLSS and FSR rule that roost.

Laptops it could be useful especially in the lower price range
I only gave my opinion, didn't think it was that controversial

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is easier for them.

It also has a different approach to the current up-scalers. Something that will natively be a part of their co-pilot lines of PC/Laptops and possibly future consoles.

“Auto SR is different from super resolution technologies like AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, Intel XeSS, and NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution built into games,” says the DirectX team in a blog post. “These approaches require games to alter their rendering, for example, by using jitter and MIP bias to add finer details. In contrast, Auto SR tackles the task of enhancing games without the extra information to improve games as they exist today.”

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Maybe there should be better game engines so that I don't need to upscale. That's how shit used to work back in the day.

There’s only so much game engines can do with your hardware limitations.

Back in the day, you still got the performance your hardware could eke out.

There’s only so much game engines can do with your hardware limitations.

Back in the day, you still got the performance your hardware could eke out.
Maybe, but I know more developers brute force rather than optimize. If more games were properly optimized instead of finding shortcuts, we all would be better off. I’m so tired of visual fidelity being sacrificed for muddy, ghosting visuals that are distracting, rather than simply have a crisp clean presentation. Its like we haven’t moved past 2005 because we’re chasing resolutions and trying to squeeze blood out of a rock.

Last edited:

FireFly

It sounds like a spatial rather than temporal upscaler. So I think it will either hallucinate detail, or provide a very modest boost to clarity, like FSR 1.0.

When retards learn how to use internet we get threads like this…

This new technology isn't DLSS competitor at all.

The Auto SR upscaling works in OS level, and it's useful for increasing both the frame rate and the image quality for existing older games that DO NOT have native game level support for AI upscaling like DLSS/XeSS. For now, this is for the new Copilot+ PC's only.

In the future, this tech would be useful for Xbox too, upscaling older 720p or 1080p (X360, Xbox One) games to 4K automatically with the improved image quality.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Pretty cool, nice to see another player in the field and hopefully Sony next.
But yeah the next console will absolutely have copilot id like to see it be an arm powered device but doubt it.

Roxkis_ii

"feature on its upcoming Copilot Plus PCs"

Yeah, no thank you.

I wish Microsoft would use AI to make Windows more optimized instead of adding more bloat.

Top Bottom