• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren - Sony’s PS5 Pro is real and Sony is asking developers to get games ready over the summer, with a push for ray-tracing support

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And they’re right. Consoles are essentially just little budget PCs that AMD produce; there’s no secret sauce within them that makes them “tick”. Off the shelf parts put into a stylish plastic housing, and there’s your PS5, or Xbox S|X respectively.

The sauce isn't a secret, but there's more to the consoles per dollar than just off-the-shelf parts. What Sony built isn't something you can make with off the shelf parts.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

What is this dumb article. We've barely left the cross-gen period and folks think there's already no un-tapped potential in the base PS5?
You are witnessing a dead mainsteam media feeding on Twitter news.

onQ123

What is this dumb article. We've barely left the cross-gen period and folks think there's already no un-tapped potential in the base PS5?
They really made an article from a tweet that's not even correct lol

Salty Pickle

Neo Member
Yes.

No idea.

In other words, does it support ray tracing? Yes.

The PS5 doesn't do AI upscaling.

Yes.

Again with your "tapping out". There are dozens of different parts in the system that can be more or less taxed depending on the workload. The point is, does it take advantage of the PS5's features? The answer is a resounding yes.

What did I say about being disingenous?

It will stutter like hell with an HDD, no matter what CPU you pair with it unless you run the sequence and reload, at which point it is cached and will run better. Not that it matters, because if your point is, "Well, with a suped up PC you can break through the hardware limitations,". No shit. That's why the PS5 has those cheaper solutions instead of a 7800X3D-class CPU. The fact that you need a modern powerful CPU to replicate what the PS5 does with an HDD (and still won't come close) means that yes, it does use those features effectively.

And runs at what? 900p upscaled to 1440p and frequently dips below 60? I forgot the exact number. Once again, different ways to allocate those resources but according to you, there's just one way to do that. Never mind the fact that Alan Wake 2 now runs on GPUs without mesh shader support pretty well.

Avatar only supports mesh shaders on consoles, not on PC. Alan Wake 2 now presumably has a vertex fallback to run properly on older GPUs. What good are those if you can do the exact same things with older techniques?

Lol, no one is arguing. Learn to read. A poster claimed that Rift Apart, "doesn't come close to fully taking advantage of the PS5's hardware." I argued otherwise and we can demonstrably show that it takes advantage of most hardware features on the PS5.

Your argument is basically, "Rift Apart doesn't tax the PS5 because instead of using the GPU power for fancy effects, it reallocates them for higher resolution and frame rates," which makes no sense. Rendering budget is a zero sum game. Everything you do has a cost and how the developer chooses to use these resources isn't very relevant to this discussion so long as the developer takes advantage of most modern features of the machine, which Rift Apart does.

If Wolverine runs at 4K and 40-45 fps while doing all of this, then we can 100% say it takes much better advantage of the PS5's hardware than Rift Apart and is far more effective at using it. But we know it won't.
So the PS5 can handle mesh shading, then what was all that FUD about during launch and ”full rdna2”?

How so

I think it's a bit more than just some, but yeah.

When you look at the visuals of the games coming out today and compare them to what we had last gen, realistically performance modes shouldn't be dropping to the levels they do. Games don't look that much better but seem to be much more costly to make run

I think you're just overestimating how powerful these consoles are. We've had games since the beginning of this gen, cross gen games too, maxing out consistently at 4k (after upscaling)/30 with a mix of Ultra/high and maybe RT reflections or they're 1440p/60 high/medium. Now, with actual "next gen" games coming we're getting 1080-1440p/30 (sometimes upscaled a little higher) Ultra/high and perf mode being sub 1080p upscaled to 1440p(if we're lucky)/60 fps with a mix of high/med/low settings...

We've seen what these consoles are capable of for 4 years now

jonnyp

Don’t give a damn about this machine until they show some fucking GAMES.

If this thing is real then they must have some heavy hitter 1ST party games ready to show very soon

Until then Sony better not try to sell me anything new. Give me a reason to be excited about it

Get ready for Pro "remasters" galore...

Last edited:

DanielG165

Genuine question: The PS5 Pro will probably be even more of an enthusiast machine than the last generation Pro consoles were, no? The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X respectively touted 4K capability as headline feature, and because 4K was still a budding market at the time, it was a rather “easy enough” sale for both Sony and Microsoft. With the PS5 Pro, as cool as it might well be, will the average consumer look at it and really know or care about better ray tracing, a propriety upscaling solution, and better fps?

Or, maybe a lot of people will see the Pro as the “new” and “shiny” PS5 and pick up one over the holidays. I can see it also selling well once GTA6 releases, and Sony plasters the Pro all over that game’s marketing. Just a haggard shower thought of mine.

Also, will this have an automatic FPS boost similar to what the Xbox series consoles have, or is that under the “PS5 Pro Enhanced” umbrella?

onQ123

Genuine question: The PS5 Pro will probably be even more of an enthusiast machine than the last generation Pro consoles were, no? The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X respectively touted 4K capability as headline feature, and because 4K was still a budding market at the time, it was a rather “easy enough” sale for both Sony and Microsoft. With the PS5 Pro, as cool as it might well be, will the average consumer look at it and really know or care about better ray tracing, a propriety upscaling solution, and better fps?

Or, maybe a lot of people will see the Pro as the “new” and “shiny” PS5 and pick up one over the holidays. I can see it also selling well once GTA6 releases, and Sony plasters the Pro all over that game’s marketing. Just a haggard shower thought of mine.

Also, will this have an automatic FPS boost similar to what the Xbox series consoles have, or is that under the “PS5 Pro Enhanced” umbrella?
PS5 Pro will probably sell better than PS4 Pro because PlayStation has pretty much became a premium product now .

Where PS4 Pro was a hardcore thing PS5 Pro will be snatched up by content creators & not so hardcore gamers who just want to own the new PlayStation 5

bitbydeath

I think you're just overestimating how powerful these consoles are. We've had games since the beginning of this gen, cross gen games too, maxing out consistently at 4k (after upscaling)/30 with a mix of Ultra/high and maybe RT reflections or they're 1440p/60 high/medium. Now, with actual "next gen" games coming we're getting 1080-1440p/30 (sometimes upscaled a little higher) Ultra/high and perf mode being sub 1080p upscaled to 1440p(if we're lucky)/60 fps with a mix of high/med/low settings...

We've seen what these consoles are capable of for 4 years now
We’ve seen a lot of upscaled games, not so many games built ground-up for the current gen. Especially in the AAA space.

DanielG165

We’ve seen a lot of upscaled games, not so many games built ground-up for the current gen. Especially in the AAA space.
And the handful that do look absolutely stunning and genuinely boundary pushing in terms of tech. The likes of Avatar, Death Stranding 2, Hellblade 2, Flight Simulator, Spider-Man 2, Alan Wake 2, Starfield (in terms of its interior spaces and overall scope), Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart… These games showcase what the current “premium” consoles are capable of when fully/properly taken advantage of and utilized.

We’re only just now beginning to see more of this, especially this year and into the near future with games properly utilizing the hardware from both major platforms. We’re 4 years in with these systems, yes, but with a massive global pandemic having put society in a chokehold, and the world STILL recovering from the effects of such… To say that we’ve seen what the PS5, and Series X respectively are capable of this entire time would be incorrect.

Hell, we’re just now seeing what happens when a developer takes full advantage of the Series X, for example, and pushes the visuals and fidelity as far as possible with their skill set in Hellblade 2, and that game isn’t even out yet. We’re just now seeing that same thing happen with the PS5 in Death Stranding 2, and that’s a good year away. The performance capabilities of these current home consoles haven’t fully been explored yet. Obviously they’re not the end all be all of hardware performance, but they still have plenty of capability left.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

People have a lot more money to spend than they ever have before. The portal is still sold out. I suspect this thing will as well. Men want the latest and greatest and console userbase is getting older by the year.

While i think upgrading to 4k was an easy sell last Gen, i think people now want 60 fps at decent resolutions. They know the 720p resolutions they are playing are trash. Especially since they are worse than last Gen when everything was 1440p or above on their mid Gen consoles.

I think this thing sells out and remains sold out by the end of the year. Then they have to tie it to gta6 or some other next Gen exclusive to keep sales up.

People have a lot more money to spend than they ever have before. The portal is still sold out. I suspect this thing will as well. Men want the latest and greatest and console userbase is getting older by the year.

While i think upgrading to 4k was an easy sell last Gen, i think people now want 60 fps at decent resolutions. They know the 720p resolutions they are playing are trash. Especially since they are worse than last Gen when everything was 1440p or above on their mid Gen consoles.

I think this thing sells out and remains sold out by the end of the year. Then they have to tie it to gta6 or some other next Gen exclusive to keep sales up.

And unlike last time, no Pro competition for the foreseeable future....and PS5 is in a relatively stronger position than the PS4 as well

skit_data

That's probably the worst prediction yet. I assume the person is joking, but it doesn't come across as such.
I really hope they go for something different. Something a little less alien would be nice. I hoped I'd get used to the look, but its just looks too damn wierd. They can keep the white/black colorscheme though.

But I have a hunch the Pro will be wierd looking too. The best thing would be if they were to use the PS5 dev kit design tbh, those things look cool af.

The article is dumb considering they are making a story out of watercooler talk at this point, but, on the untapped potential piece, for 3P, I am going to agree, there isn't much wiggle room because there is no incentive/directive/imperative. 1P studios seem to make a good showing of what the system is capable of. I think throwing more power at the problem is now the way forward, developers don't optimize like they used (anecdotal, just my opinion).

We've got two choices:

1. Developers are allocated extra time and resources to tap into all available power of current gen systems, which will include a mindset shift as well because some, not all, but some are some real minimal effort/good-enough types.
2. We give them gobs of power to make up for their unwillingness to optimize to the fullest extent possible. This should at least get us into higher resolutions/frame rates. (The game could still run like dook though, frame pacing issues, poor game design choices, etc.)

DanielG165

2. We give them gobs of power to make up for their unwillingness to optimize to the fullest extent possible. This should at least get us into higher resolutions/frame rates. (The game could still run like dook though, frame pacing issues, poor game design choices, etc.)
We’ve been seeing a lot of this recently from games, unfortunately. Create a massive game that requires the latest and most powerful hardware to run kind of well, and then use an upscaling solution to bandaid the game’s otherwise wonky performance.

Top Bottom