• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren - Sony’s PS5 Pro is real and Sony is asking developers to get games ready over the summer, with a push for ray-tracing support

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
vpavic_4261_20201023_0058.jpg

Sony is getting ready to release a more powerful PS5 console, possibly by the end of this year. After reports of leaked PS5 Pro specifications surfaced recently, The Verge has obtained a full list of specs for the upcoming console. Sources familiar with Sony’s plans tell me that developers are already being asked to ensure their games are compatible with this upcoming console, with a focus on improving ray tracing.

Codenamed Trinity, the PlayStation 5 Pro model will include a more powerful GPU and a slightly faster CPU mode. All of Sony’s changes point to a PS5 Pro that will be far more capable of rendering games with ray tracing enabled or hitting higher resolutions and frame rates in certain titles. Sony appears to be encouraging developers to use graphics features like ray tracing more with the PS5 Pro, with games able to use a “Trinity Enhanced” (PS5 Pro Enhanced) label if they “provide significant enhancements.”

Sony expects GPU rendering on the PS5 Pro to be “about 45 percent faster than standard PlayStation 5,” according to documents outlining the upcoming console. The PS5 Pro GPU will be larger and use faster system memory to help improve ray tracing in games. Sony is also using a “more powerful ray tracing architecture” in the PS5 Pro, where the speed here is up to three times better than the regular PS5.

“Trinity is a high-end version of PlayStation 5,” reads one document, with Sony indicating it will continue to sell the standard PS5 after this new model launches. Sony is expecting game developers to have a single package that will support both the PS5 and PS5 Pro consoles, with existing games able to be patched for higher performance.

I understand developers are able to order test kits right now and that Sony is expecting every game submitted to certification in August to be compatible with the PS5 Pro. Insider Gaming first reported the full PS5 Pro specs and indicated the console is set to release during the 2024 holiday period.

While Sony is improving the GPU side of the PS5 Pro, the CPU will be the same as the standard PS5 but with a new mode that clocks it higher. “Trinity has a mode that targets 3.85GHz CPU frequency,” says Sony in a document to developers. That’s around 10 percent more than the regular PS5. Sony will offer developers the ability to pick between a “standard mode” at 3.5GHz or the “high CPU frequency mode” at 3.85GHz.

The standard mode operates just like a regular PS5, where a certain amount of power is allocated to the CPU — it runs at 3.5GHz if the power budget allows for it or lower frequencies if the PS5 is performing “power-intensive operations.” Sony says these lower frequencies are rare and that unused power on the CPU side is sent to the GPU.

In this new high CPU frequency mode for the PS5 Pro, more power is allocated to the CPU, which means slightly less to the GPU. The GPU is downclocked by around 1.5 percent in this mode, which results in “roughly 1 percent lower performance,” according to Sony.

The PS5 Pro will also have some changes to system memory for developers. The standard PS5 memory runs at 448GB/s, but Sony is bumping this up by 28 percent to 576GB/s on the PS5 Pro. As the memory system is more efficient on the PS5 Pro, “the bandwidth gain may exceed 28 percent,” says Sony.

Developers will also get more access to overall system memory. Games can use an additional 1.2GB of system memory on the PS5 Pro, so that’s 13.7GB overall compared to the 12.5GB allocated to games on the base PS5.

The increase in memory speed and allocations “may be useful” for Sony’s new PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR) support. This is essentially Sony’s upscaling answer to Nvidia’s DLSS or AMD’s FSR to improve frame rates and image quality on PlayStation. Sony has built a “custom architecture for machine learning” on the PS5 Pro, which supports 300TOPS of 8-bit computation.

This new architecture supports Sony’s custom PSSR upscaling solution, which is designed to replace a game’s existing temporal anti-aliasing or upsampling implementation. Sony notes that “inputs are quite similar to DLSS or FSR” and that full HDR support is included. This support requires around 250MB of memory, which is why the memory allocations on the PS5 Pro should help here. Sony says there is around 2ms of latency involved in upscaling a 1080p image to 4K and that the company is working to support resolutions up to 8K and even improve the latency in the future.

If developers are able to get their games ready in time, I fully expect to see a PS5 Pro launch this holiday season. Sony appears to be following the same playbook as the PS4, with a “Slim” PS5 model and then a Pro edition. I’m expecting to see an “enhanced” library of existing games for the PS5 Pro launch and new first-party games arriving over time with improved ray-tracing support for this new console.

Train Hype GIF

Last edited:

dottme

Can someone summarize the first post with the new info only?
I start reading a little but everything was rehash of already known info.
Or am I missing something.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Can someone summarize the first post with the new info only?
I start reading a little but everything was rehash of already known info.
Or am I missing something.
Only thing new I took from this

I understand developers are able to order test kits right now and that Sony is expecting every game submitted to certification in August to be compatible with the PS5 Pro

Gamerguy84

God I hope PS5 Pro never runs anything at 30fps
There are very few games on PS5 without at least a 60fps option. I doubt the pro will have them especially considering there won't be a game designed for it's specs only.

Straight graphical upgrades like RT, res, more NPCs etc.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Are they making the Pro Enhanced certification contingent on the game's running at a minimum 60fps or is it gonna be like the PS5 where we're back to choosing 30fps better graphics over 60fps lesser graphics? Imo it should be:

60/MaxRT/1440p
60/MinRT/4K

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Honestly im more concerned with their DLSS alternative. Everyone is talking about Path ray tracing etc, but if this can pull off raytracing and 60/120 FPS using DLSS it will be worth the cost of admission, but if its just to make games look better but not fix the FPS issues I want no part of it.

Three

There never was “hidden/untapped power”, it’s about devs improving their own engine against a single static piece of hardware, and maximising what they can draw out of it.
But those are very limited nowadays. Back then you would have this paradigm shift with for example say parallelism and it would take devs some time to learn all the great things you could do with something new in more efficient ways over the gen. Now that is far more limited with standardised BC PC hardware and devs put far less work into new tech that works on esoteric hardware and more into 'compatibility' with as many devices as possible. There is still new techniques and efficiency gains through a gen but it's far less pronounced than before.

bitbydeath

But those are very limited nowadays. Back then you would have this paradigm shift with for example say parallelism and it would take devs some time to learn all the great things you could do with something new in more efficient ways over the gen. Now that is far more limited with standardised BC PC hardware and devs put far less work into new tech that works on esoteric hardware and more into 'compatibility' with as many devices as possible. There is still new techniques and efficiency gains through a gen but it's far less pronounced than before.
Or devs aren’t budgeting to make the changes any longer, as there is still a large gap between certain devs, eg Bethesda. 👀

Flabagast

Really hope the PS5 version Cyberpunk gets upgraded with more RT effects (and it sure will as CDPR always enhances their games when a new hardware comes out).

Also TW3 RT mode at 60fps would be absolutely awesome

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

there is nothing hidden but there is definitely untapped potential. there are like 2 games that are using mesh/primitive shaders this gen. avatar and alan wake 2. both of which came out mere months ago.

only a single sony studio has used ray tracing so far. literally one first party studio has tapped into the RT potential of the base machine.

90% of the studios so far have released cross gen games which means 90% of the games have not tapped into the cpu improvements, the io improvements, the ssd improvements. the gpu is only one part of the console. the CPU has 16 threads, double the ps4, running at 3.5 ghz, over double that of the ps4 and is roughly 8x more powerful. but virtually no one has tapped into it so far.

the devs have to rethink their game engines which are still heavily single threaded. Epic has been hard at work at parallelizing the cpu tasks in UE5 and were able to double the performance in a couple of years, with the promise of doubling it even further by 2025 thanks to even more multithreading.

we are in year 4 and only 3 UE5 games have released so far with nanite and lumen. there is so much more to extract out of the ps5 and xsx.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Really hope the PS5 version Cyberpunk gets upgraded with more RT effects (and it sure will as CDPR always enhances their games when a new hardware comes out).

Also TW3 RT mode at 60fps would be absolutely awesome
TW3 rt mode has the same issues as dragons dogma 2 on PC. its CPU bound in towns. especially since they upped the NPC count to what they had before the downgrade like 10 years ago.

its fine hitting 60 fps when you are out in the open world, but even entering a tiny village, it just completely crashes the fps by half unless you cut back on the NPC setting along with a couple of other rt settings that are also CPU heavy.

this pro console does not have the cpu upgrade to handle 60 fps with RT in that specific game. cyberpunk is much more polished in comparison and should be able to get rt reflections and shadows at 60 fps. if they get rtgi as well than id be very impressed.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We don’t even have a single game that fully takes advantage of the power we currently have. Why do we already need Pro versions?

flying_sq

I hope it runs CyberPunk 2077 OverDrive mode in a steady 30 FPS and I'll buy 3 copies!!!!!

IDK, it's extremely hard to run on PC, I have to use DLSS at 1440p using a 3090ti to hit around 30 fps. A 4080 and 3090ti are pretty close in performance, so I would be shocked if they are able to hit that without using an FSR setting that basically destroys the image. Maybe if they target 1080p

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
IDK, it's extremely hard to run on PC, I have to use DLSS at 1440p using a 3090ti to hit around 30 fps. A 4080 and 3090ti are pretty close in performance, so I would be shocked if they are able to hit that without using an FSR setting that basically destroys the image. Maybe if they target 1080p
Of course, they won’t hit that reconstruction, but if they’re going for it, why wouldn’t they use it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom