• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Banjo64

cumsessed
Anyone else deleted the offline map but now getting an error message?

CI8qHFr.jpg

It worked absolutely fine for me last night for the first 2 hours.

Native 1080p, no upscaling, on Series S (X is 1440p upscale).

X LOD is equivalent to PC high settings, S is equivalent to medium.

Importantly, the S still has similar clouds to the X.

Weird.

1440p on SX should translate to 720p on SS.

Maybe they achieved that via reducing draw distance?

Lower resolution definitely makes headlines with fanboys jumping up and down in every thread you can find.

Termite

How do you zoom in and out in the out-of-cockpit camera mode? I've heard there's a showcase camera mode - how do you activate it?

Did the first leg of the Croatia bush trip yesterday - super fun idea but the grass strip they wanted you to find at the destination was bullshit. Flew right by it multiple times before hitting the button to show where it was - and thought "I would NEVER have seen that." Totally blended in to the surrounding farmlands. You'd think the first leg of the first trip they'd have started with something easier to find.

Karak

I'm about halfway to Miami from Lambert Airport. Just taking in the scenary. What a game.
It really is. Strangely the game hates my wifi. I admit wifi even fast never gives me the same perf as wired. But man I swear something else goes on their. Even limiting my plan speed by 1/2 the 5g I still was getting odd issues with the 5g and yet the network tracker showed up loss no issues and in other games they don't show up as profoundly.

I can also say that the powerline adaptors work in the same way as lan. Spotless. Running a powerline broadband from one side of the house to the garage and it still had 1ms diff and the same download speed and ran the same as lan. So something with wireless for sure.

It really is. Strangely the game hates my wifi. I admit wifi even fast never gives me the same perf as wired. But man I swear something else goes on their. Even limiting my plan speed by 1/2 the 5g I still was getting odd issues with the 5g and yet the network tracker showed up loss no issues and in other games they don't show up as profoundly.

I can also say that the powerline adaptors work in the same way as lan. Spotless. Running a powerline broadband from one side of the house to the garage and it still had 1ms diff and the same download speed and ran the same as lan. So something with wireless for sure.
I never had any luck with those powerline adaptors. Tried them because I would always lag on rocket league through wifi and still lagged while using them.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Mostly seems like a few spots/cities though. I updated the nordics region but I’ve seen lots of seemingly randomised buildings up in northern Sweden, some iconic ones are still completely random. Disappointing but understandable.

Same in Norway, in some places there are comically placed churches EVERYWHERE. However, things are many times better after the Nordic update in my region. I didn't fly in Norway before this update, it was really bad, not the least the terrain which was completely bugged out (weird terrain spikes and walls, sometimes elevation data didn't fit the textures) taking me out of the experience. Now the elevation data and terrain textures are pretty damn good, except that some of the autogen buildings are sticking out like a sore thumb when you're familiar with an area (I "fix" this issue by keeping above 1000 feet..).

Trogdor1123

Played around a bit last night on my series s. Seemed pretty neat. Found my house and flew around a few places.

Any recommendations on places to fly to?

Check out the pyramids already. I'm guessing the mountains are cool?

Fredrik

Same in Norway, in some places there are comically placed churches EVERYWHERE. However, things are many times better after the Nordic update in my region. I didn't fly in Norway before this update, it was really bad, not the least the terrain which was completely bugged out (weird terrain spikes and walls, sometimes elevation data didn't fit the textures) taking me out of the experience. Now the elevation data and terrain textures are pretty damn good, except that some of the autogen buildings are sticking out like a sore thumb when you're familiar with an area (I "fix" this issue by keeping above 1000 feet..).
Lol well at least you have churches, I guess Asobo think we’re all satanists here or something, there are really old and awesome looking churches in my area that are now a flat slab. Bridges look super boring too. I think they just went slash ignore and let a script randomise it tbh.

Naked Lunch

I got laughed at a few months back for saying it - but this game is a Mario 64-like moment for console gaming.
This is something totally new to consoles. Uncharted territory here.
There is a magic about it.

I'm having the exact same issue. Doesn't happen all the time, but I had to abort a training mission because I had to keep fighting the controls. Seems like a bug to me. Hopefully they will fix.
I went back to PC from XSS because I have a non-Xbox compatible flight stick. Makes a big difference, imo.
Im thinking the plane pulling down right might be a bug for certain training missions (not a controller issue) - because it doesn't happen in other missions.

When I go to external camera my HUD is gone now (PC). how do I enable it??

also how to turn off all the labels that appear? Like when hovering over throttle/flaps/brake etc??

this update has fucked up so much stuff for me. Using a controller is now pissing me off Because the Ui is broken and certain camera actions. I feel like it forces you to use one kind of input. I played with controller and keyboard/mouse. Gonna need to try just use keyboard mouse now.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How do I turn off dials in external view?
Only way I’ve managed to take screenshots on XSX without a million dials on screen is to press the menu button and then press it again and instantly slam the screenshot button, the dials come back after about 2 seconds.

Forsete

Gold Member
How do I turn off dials in external view?
Only way I’ve managed to take screenshots on XSX without a million dials on screen is to press the menu button and then press it again and instantly slam the screenshot button, the dials come back after about 2 seconds.

Drone view maybe?

Just had my second game crash on Series X now, I've had about 7 hours of gameplay which surprised me.
Has anybody had issues with the tutorials? After just flying around to get used to things and thought I'd start working through these but I'm not able to complete one of the earliest tutorials as I've spent almost 10 minutes trying to move the free camera but nothing happens. I've not changed any of the controls yet and I've double checked that they're on the default settings so it should be working fine.
I have enjoyed it but it certainly seems a bit "scruffy" at the moment but I suppose that's pretty standard for anything that fits under the games as a service banner.
There's a Spitfire available that I'd love to own, it's just not a £22:49 amount of love.

Schmick

Has it been suggested for them to have a multiplayer where people can sit in your plane and watch you fly/sightsee, and whoever is flying can speak to them over the intercom? I feel like that could be so much fun.
Yes it has actuallly. Asobo plan to work on the ability to have a co-pilot in 2022. Heres a snapshot. Having a co-pilot would be so cool in an airliner.

UsWd5Ua.jpg
B40nckD.jpg
ok66Aje.jpg
i31sy2F.jpg
M41OQxb.jpg

Last edited:

Neil Young

Thought I'd fire it up just to check it out.....3 hours later....I'm crashing my Cessna into all the homes I've lived in. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but this is some amazing shit. I'm flying over Sea World, the Costco I shopped at earlier that day, baseball stadiums etc. Only thing, this will eat some data. I used 8 gigs playing it.

Has anyone managed to download world updates on Xbox? They keep failing and I have plenty of room for the DL

They downloaded quickly and easily for me on my XSX yesterday. The flight tutorials have been literally the only buggy thing for me so far, and I fixed that an hour ago with a console reboot.

I heartily recommend a reboot for anyone having issues.

Stuart360

Man i cant believe how much this patch has improved this game on my PC.
I was playing at 1080p/30 on High since the game launched, and it held those 30fps most of the time, but the stuttering could be quite bad at times. Also flying low over Manhattan was the worst part of the game for me. It would hang around 25fps, and stutter like crazy. After this patch, i'm getting 50-60fps over Manhattan, with almost zero stuttering!.

And its not just the performance thats improved, the streaming tech is much better. If i played for like 20mins or so, flying in the same direction, the ground detail would start breaking up. I just did a 60min fly on a straight line through New York and the surrounding area, and zero break up with the graphics.

Thank god for the Xbox consoles!. I assume its the optimization made for those that has brought these changes to PC.

Excess

I decided to try out the new control scheme on PC, and it's very buggy. Sometimes the game just flat out freezes, and other times there's no button assigned to an action. For example, I couldn't get out of the Pause menu. What's that about? Also, we need a dead-zone meter because I am getting joystick drift up the ass. On top of that, the overall performance of the game feels completely jacked on PC after this latest update.

How the fuck did this console update manage to ruin the PC version?

Stuart360

I decided to try out the new control scheme on PC, and it's very buggy. Sometimes the game just flat out freezes, and other times there's no button assigned to an action. For example, I couldn't get out of the Pause menu. What's that about? Also, we need a dead-zone meter because I am getting joystick drift up the ass. On top of that, the overall performance of the game feels completely jacked on PC after this latest update.

How the fuck did this console update manage to ruin the PC version?
Eh?, the patch has transformed the game on my PC, transformed for the better.
Sorry you are having problems.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
5th game crash on Xbox, wtf am I supposed to do? Delete and redownload?
That's not going to have an impact, the game integrity is verified before launching, maybe try to restart your console? Also maybe it's sensitive to the internet jitter? I don't know. No problem for me....

That's not going to have an impact, the game integrity is verified before launching, maybe try to restart your console? Also maybe it's sensitive to the internet jitter? I don't know. No problem for me....
Turned off data chache and ai/live traffic. Gonna see if that helps.

Forsythia

Is there a way to check the map and set a waypoint? Is it possible to start at any location or do you always need to start at an airport?

amigastar

Is there a way to check the map and set a waypoint? Is it possible to start at any location or do you always need to start at an airport?
I can't tell you how but i know that you can start everywhere you want in the air you don't need an airport. I was copying location parameters in Google maps and transferred them into the flight sim but that was longer ago since i've waiting for my new PC to play it again.

Top Bottom