• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Yams

I decided to try out the new control scheme on PC, and it's very buggy. Sometimes the game just flat out freezes, and other times there's no button assigned to an action. For example, I couldn't get out of the Pause menu. What's that about? Also, we need a dead-zone meter because I am getting joystick drift up the ass. On top of that, the overall performance of the game feels completely jacked on PC after this latest update.

How the fuck did this console update manage to ruin the PC version?

I was able to adjust the dead zone. I think you need to go to controls, select the controller and then click on sensitivity (or something like that).

Had 3 crashes in 30 minutes earlier, none yesterday in 8 hours of play.
I've got off lightly then it seems. I suppose we shouldn't really be too surprised with this type of thing though.
They downloaded quickly and easily for me on my XSX yesterday. The flight tutorials have been literally the only buggy thing for me so far, and I fixed that an hour ago with a console reboot.
My updates absolutely shot down yesterday but today I was getting what was about 10% of my usual download speed. Again, not so surprising with this type of thing. At least I'm not alone with the tutorials being an issue at the moment.
I hope that I don't sound like I'm complaining because I'm not, of course it would be nice if everything was perfect at launch but it's really not an easy thing ti get right with stuff like this and I am still enjoying it as it is. I just really hope that they have the resources to sort everything out pretty quickly and then keep everything running a it should be.
I'm very tempted to pick up something like this now, I've not had a proper look at prices but just looking at Amazon you can get them for under £80 and I don;t mind spending that sort of money on one. Looking at reviews I know that there's much better out there but I think that sort of price is my limit until I'm sure that I'm going to get a lot of usage from it.

Excess

On PC there is a known bug where live traffic causes CTD, so the solution for that is just to turn it off. Not sure if this also affects Xbox. Might be worth a try though?
That's interesting you bring that up. I believe I actually had that turned off previously, and I noticed that a ton of my settings were reset upon loading up.

I just triggered it, and it seems to be a bit more stable.

I kind of remembering going thru these settings once watching a JayzTwoCents video he did on it.

I've got off lightly then it seems. I suppose we shouldn't really be too surprised with this type of thing though.

My updates absolutely shot down yesterday but today I was getting what was about 10% of my usual download speed. Again, not so surprising with this type of thing. At least I'm not alone with the tutorials being an issue at the moment.
I hope that I don't sound like I'm complaining because I'm not, of course it would be nice if everything was perfect at launch but it's really not an easy thing ti get right with stuff like this and I am still enjoying it as it is. I just really hope that they have the resources to sort everything out pretty quickly and then keep everything running a it should be.
I'm very tempted to pick up something like this now, I've not had a proper look at prices but just looking at Amazon you can get them for under £80 and I don;t mind spending that sort of money on one. Looking at reviews I know that there's much better out there but I think that sort of price is my limit until I'm sure that I'm going to get a lot of usage from it.

That joystick works great for PC and Xbox games. It gives a good entry level experience and it's WAY more fun than using a controller. I use it for MSFS and Elite Dangerous and it's a blast. Highly recommend it for the price. Turtle Beach has this coming out but nobody knows when and it's $350 lol. Looks sick af tho.

Forsete

Gold Member
That's interesting you bring that up. I believe I actually had that turned off previously, and I noticed that a ton of my settings were reset upon loading up.

I just triggered it, and it seems to be a bit more stable.

I kind of remembering going thru these settings once watching a JayzTwoCents video he did on it.

My settings were also reset. :messenger_face_steam:

Null Persp

Beautiful and relaxing game.
Great update btw, the performance is really great now.

Flight-Simulator-2021-07-28-22-16-55-828.png

nemiroff

Gold Member
Heads up. Been watching this live stream and while the update is great it definitely has some issues. This is a big update, a lot of code has been rewritten, so unsurprisingly some things are broken. Things that the update has broken: Live weather is unreliable, Live traffic may cause crashes to desktop. Altimeter with air traffic control bugs out. VATSIM is bugged. Terrain Radar doesn't work. And more. You may also be careful about content in the marketplace, some may not be updated.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Tried this last night on PC and XSX.

Absolutely unbelievable. Just a stunning technical achievement, and easily my GOTY so far. PC version is a little janky, even on a 3080, and while the overall XSX FPS is often lower, even with VRR on an LG C9, it holds it's own to a stunning degree.

The first big next gen game from Xbox? You bet, and it's amazing.

Forsete

Gold Member
So I was doing the Mount Everest sight-seeing tour.

HPdybj4.jpg

Then I remembered that one of the most dangerous airports in the world is located nearby...

Lukla Tenzing-Hillary Airport.

b3P3QKL.jpg

And I landed. :messenger_kissing_smiling:
I didn't know that the King Air was capable. I thought I was going to have a crash for sure. I've done it before in the Grand Caravan since it is capable of short take-offs and landings.

02iZu9K.jpg

The landing gear might need an overhaul though. :messenger_halo:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Orbis MD-10 is scam even for free, why the fuck is this in the game, are you going to pilot the plane from position of passenger or what?

Forsete Forsete Can't believe that you were able to land with such steep approach, I would expect plane to broke up. I guess King Air is really capable.

Forsete

Gold Member
Orbis MD-10 is scam even for free, why the fuck is this in the game, are you going to pilot the plane from position of passenger or what?

Forsete Forsete Can't believe that you were able to land with such steep approach, I would expect plane to broke up. I guess King Air is really capable.

Hehe, yes.

The area really fucks with your mind though. The runway is uphill and as you can see on the Garmin synthetic vision I am not really that far below the horizon, and you can see my airspeed was pretty low. Full flaps and gear down by that point.

Connxtion

Does this still stream in data even though it's a 102gb game?
Yes, it has a cache system where it can hold so much data before overwriting the cache.

So you never notice. There is an offline map but it’s basic and if you have the bandwidth I would use the live service instead.

edit:
Should have put you can remove the offline map and it saves about 70GB I think or there abouts am sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Fredrik

5th game crash on Xbox, wtf am I supposed to do? Delete and redownload?
Odd, I’ve played it for I don’t know how many hours, only seen one freeze at a loading screen.
Is it crashing in a specific scenario? Loading, flying over a dense city, storms, etc?
How’s your internet?
And do you play it from the internal drive?

Played for around 4 hours today, no crashes. With every passing hour I thought to myself "I need a god damn stick". Someone recommend me a cheap one that works with Xbox.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hehe, yes.

The area really fucks with your mind though. The runway is uphill and as you can see on the Garmin synthetic vision I am not really that far below the horizon, and you can see my airspeed was pretty low. Full flaps and gear down by that point.
Do you have stick or some flying peripheral? Controller is extremely sensitive, to fly more powerful aircraft, however prop planes are fine. No crashes so far with them, but with turboprops/jets, it's tough...

Billbofet

I played for a few hours last night and it kept telling me I could not connect with the server, so I played in offline mode.
Am I to assume with a strong network connection, this game looks even better and with more detail?

My only gripe is you cannot turn HDR off - which ended up looking better anyway, but I had to disable it on my projector to find that out. I do wish there was a more robust set of options for graphics like brightness/contrast, etc.

Also, is there a way to just pull up a map as I'm flying, or do I put exact coordinates in for a destination. We just got back from a road trip to South Dakota and I wanted to fly by Mount Rushmore and Devil's Tower, but I could not figure that shit out at all.

Oh, and where in the options can I just pick daylight all the time?

Just saw these on eBay and it seems like a pretty good idea to have a custom keyboard of some sort next to me for Flight Simulator.
Nw3Kue6.png

Also noticed that there's a company that sells custom Flight Simulator keyboards. I'd much rather they didn't also have the standard digits on the keys too and just said what each key did in FS. It's almost like they've left those in there so that people can use it as a standard keyboard too.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Tried out VR mode on my 2060S. It's listing ~1600x1600(per eye?), using 'Medium' terrain settings, 'Low' on the rest, 8xAF. Getting in the low 40s in the wilderness in a small prop plane, 20s in cities with a jetliner. 40s is borderline playable. Like when you stare at the ground it will move smooth-ish. 20-30s in VR is harsh and everything moving will drag and stutter, and make you motion sick. Ideally you want 90fps+ in VR, but 72fps+ will usually suffice. In this game I could see 60fps being acceptable.

So yeah, flying at Mt. Everest or Machu Picchu isn't that bad after the latest performance update, and makes me wish I had a 3070 or better.

Last edited:
Ever since the update, I can't use the mouse to move the camera when in cockpit view.

Edit: It's a known issue apparently.

Last edited:

rob305

Game is great, makes me finally want to resume getting my PPL license which I put on hold during covid.
Love doing everything manually, typing in the ATC frequencies and starting with a parked plane in cold state. Going through all the checklists on the 152 is a great training

Havoc2049

Played for around 4 hours today, no crashes. With every passing hour I thought to myself "I need a god damn stick". Someone recommend me a cheap one that works with Xbox.
The Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas One is decent and gets the job done at $90 for the base unit and $200 with rudder peddles. The rudder peddles are $123 when bough separately. Don't pay over retail. These items were hard to get during the pandemic and some of the resellers still have them listed really high.

This is my setup with a Hotas One. Works great with Elite Dangerous as well.

PanzerAzel

Few questions about the state of MSFS2020.

1) I’ve noticed a lack of fluid dynamics. Not in the ocean, I understand wind is a factor, but I’ve seen no rapid rivers, shore, or waterfall fx (like at Niagara). It’s all a static texture. Has this been addressed by a patch or add on? Grew up in the islands which I used to fly around watching the shore breaks, so I guess I’ve more of an eye for its absence. It can be glaring at times, it’s amazing how much realistic water adds to the immersion.

2) Does this support Track IR? Unfortunately VR makes me violently ill.

Bridges

Load times are pretty gnarly, is there any noticeable difference in speed for those who downloaded the offline map?

catvonpee

I didn't think the load times are that bad. So it could be dependent on your internet speed?

I can't wait until they get some faster and more agile aircraft in the game. I just was to be able to zip around and not hear OVERSPEED OVERSPEED OVERSPEED 😆

3bb7e388-df41-47f2-952c-494be1c3f883-1.png

9b27574c-553a-4e37-b9f3-7fe1ff1bf16e.png

To those saying this game isn't amazing, just imagine your standard action adventure game with a city this size to this scale. It boggles the mind.
d16f263c-4d92-499a-baee-427050add347.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's Pittsburgh. Think about the size of the Pitt Fallout DLC or in the Last of Us and then think about how large the city actually is.
Never been there...... (actually thats not true. I was there when I was 11 or 12 passing through driving to Florida and remember nothing. lol).

Just a google image I found for comparison.

For-In-the-Lead-pittsburgh-skyline-stock-1558616234.jpg

M.W.

Bought the fighter jet cuz why the fuck not, flew around and holy fuck is it fun. Now the game won't load if I try to use it....GDAMN IT

mitchman

Gold Member
how do i get rid of those pop up labels when hovering over stuff in the cockpit? yeah i'm using a controller but i also use my mouse to click on stuff so i don't need them. they are annoying and get in the way.

feel like they've ruined it on PC by bringing all this xbox stuff over. i can't seem to disable the pop ups and the virtual mouse thing.
You can disable them or return the behavior to "legacy" in the settings under accessibility, afair.

Dr Bass

I thought I heard whispers that some folks think the latest R&C is more impressive graphically than Flight Sim. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Anyway….felt like taking a stunt biplane for a tour of Mt. St. Helens. So I did.
51341608247_094b08f06a_o.png
Because it is. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

This game is definitely bad ass, but it's satellite imagery applied to some geometry. And yes, of course, there are the built out areas when they wanted to have more detailed cities. But get close up, the whole look breaks down. It's really easy to go find videos of this on YouTube, and there is a reason all of the screen grabs are taken when you're way up there. That's when things truly look the most realistic and most detailed. From a distance.

Ratchet and Clank is pure artistry at every level. Get close up to things and extreme detail you would never realize was even there, reveals itself.

As soon as something that looks as good as R&C (or better) comes out on Xbox, I'll gladly be the first to say it. This just isn't it.

It's funny though. I read Flight Sim threads and people are constantly bringing up Ratchet and Clank.

I go through Ratchet and Clank threads, and no one at all mentions Flight Sim.

Think about why that is.

Fredrik

My only gripe is you cannot turn HDR off - which ended up looking better anyway, but I had to disable it on my projector to find that out. I do wish there was a more robust set of options for graphics like brightness/contrast, etc.
Why didn’t I think of that?! This game has to be absolutely wild playing on a projector! I only have a 1080p projector though but my eyes suck anyway and I’m guessing the screen size outweighs the resolution drop easily. Thanks for the tip! 👊

Fredrik

Just saw these on eBay and it seems like a pretty good idea to have a custom keyboard of some sort next to me for Flight Simulator.
Nw3Kue6.png

Also noticed that there's a company that sells custom Flight Simulator keyboards. I'd much rather they didn't also have the standard digits on the keys too and just said what each key did in FS. It's almost like they've left those in there so that people can use it as a standard keyboard too.

This is how they did it back in my youth

OV1qJEb.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nw3Kue6.png

Do they work for XSX too?

Top Bottom