• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has begun sending out refunds for both the Xbox and Steam versions of the Redfall 'Bite Back' Edition

Draugoth

Gold Member
6fsGPGHKDxsuTHaAi3UKgn-970-80.png.webp

• The game was a commercial and critical flop, criticized for an overall lack of polish and uninspired gameplay.
  • Roughly a year after its launch, Microsoft shuttered the studio behind the game, Arkane Austin, who also created the criminally underrated immersive sim Prey.
  • Users who purchased Redfall's "Bite Back Edition" were promised additional DLC, which ended up being cancelled.
  • Now, Microsoft has begun rolling out refunds to digital owners on Steam and Xbox.

I received tips this evening from users who purchased Redfall's Bite Back Edition that they were receiving automatic refunds. The Bite Back Edition cost $26.99, and Microsoft appears to be refunding the full amount to users on both Xbox and Steam.

Refunds seem to be rolling out in waves, with some having received one already, while others are currently in waiting. You should check your Junk Mail attached to your Steam or Xbox account in case it has fallen in there. One user also informed me that they were able to work with Bethesda Customer Support to receive a refund for the physical version of the Redfall Bite Back Edition as well after submitting a ticket. Although if you go down this route, be patient with waiting times, as there may be a fair few other people trying to grab refunds via this method as well.

Source

Varteras

Gold Member
Forcing developers to make a game they have no passion for, just to chase what you think is easy money. Probably not a good idea. It'd be nice to know that Redfall serves as a warning executives and publishers will heed. Sadly, I don't think it did enough damage to get the lesson through.

gothmog

Gold Member
Forcing developers to make a game they have no passion for, just to chase what you think is easy money. Probably not a good idea. It'd be nice to know that Redfall serves as a warning executives and publishers will heed. Sadly, I don't think it did enough damage to get the lesson through.
Suicide Squad didn't heed it. Hopefully the Concord team is rethinking how they approach things. But yeah, we can only hope people will eventually learn.

Varteras

Gold Member
Suicide Squad didn't heed it. Hopefully the Concord team is rethinking how they approach things. But yeah, we can only hope people will eventually learn.

I think Firewalk is different. Their roots are in multiplayer gaming thanks to their heads being from Bungie. Pretty sure that live service games were their intention from the start. What that game seems to lack is creativity and is obviously bloated with DEI crap. Desire isn't the problem, I don't believe.

Arkane Austin supposedly never wanted to do Redfall. Zenimax forced them to because the company needed money after all of its commercial underperformers. Then Microsoft bought them and simply cannned the PS5 version.

As I understand it, a lot of people started leaving the studio before the game was even finished. You can clearly tell in the final product that the team just stopped trying and/or no longer had who they needed.

That being said, I certainly hope others, like Sony, stop doing any forced live service ambitions. Assuming they are or have.

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
This whole situation is a tragedy, Prey is incredible and yes it was under the creative direction of the original Arkane boss who left, but they still had a decent cult following until Redfall released.

On paper, an immersive Sim with vampires done by arkane should have worked, but the forced online stuff is not what Arkane fans come to their games for. And they most certainly were not going garner a new fan base on the travesty that was Redfall. Bad decisions all around and in the end nobody gained and everyone lost, the players and the creators. How can I even recommend Prey to anyone at this point knowing that the team behind it have lost their jobs? I'm sorry but I can't even laugh at this shit. Guess I'm glad MS is taking accountability for this though.

Power Pro

Still nothing in my account. I only bought the Bite Back edition because Best Buy had the steel book case available for like $10 on clearance, and I thought I'd give it a try eventually.

Top Bottom