• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has Closed the Activision Blizzard King Deal

ManaByte

Gold Member

Microsoft has finalized its $68.7 billion deal to acquire Activision Blizzard, the publisher of Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, and Diablo. The Verge exclusively reported last week that Microsoft was planning to close today, and now it’s official. The acquisition required 20 months of battles with regulators in the UK and US, but Microsoft has closed its Activision Blizzard deal after defeating the Federal Trade Commission in a US federal court and restructuring the deal to appease the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) in the UK.

Master Chief Game GIF by Halo

Unknown?

Well, congrats to the exec team that pushed through despite the major setback, I guess. That’s why they get the big bucks.

I hope MS ruins COD the way they ruined Halo so we can have some innovation and freshness in this space again.
That'd be nice but I'm sure that would have happened without MS, they will just accelerate that.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I don't care about anything or anyone across this vast array of studios (maybe except for id).

I loved many of the games these studios formerly produced, but they mean absolutely nothing to me today.

There's more to game development than IP, studio name and cool-looking logo. Games require development talent and when the talent is drained out of all these studios, what's left? nothing but husks.

Top Bottom