• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft told digital foundry that the Series X is their mid-gen refresh (DF direct Weekly #116)

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
At least the One X was clearly a monster. The Series X does not have the clear advantage ober the PS5 that the One X had over the PS4 Pro. It does not even have the advantage that the PS4 had over the Xbox one. The PS5 digital edition at 400 €/$ is a really good deal in comparison.
The funny thing is that if Microsoft had decided to put a little more money to have 20 gb of ram, and maybe tried to push their GPU like Sony did, I would have accepted those kind of claims better. But both the Series S and X are not as good as they could have been. The One X did not have those limitations. Shame that they did not try their best this time. But I suppose that a mid gen refresh is not as costly as a new gen is.

It makes sense if you look at the performance of the last two refreshes after launch. The PS5 Pro is probably especially with it's likely big cost, going to be lucky to sell 5M units of the PS5's LTD and likely have controlled distribution like the PS4 Pro did.

Since the X is presented as a regular device it's going to be treated as the main console throughout the gen instead of an expensive optional enthusiast device.

Tsaki

So its either a PR non-answer and next year they'll reveal the actual mid-gen refresh or it's not and they let Sony have the power-advantage PR for the whole second half of the generation.

Varteras

Gold Member
mid gen refresh is pointless, by then you are near the next gen.

A fair number of people would buy, just to play current gen games in 4K/60FPS. Instead of waiting 3 to 4 years for the new console. And if Xbox doesn't have one and Sony made one, the only way to achieve that outside of a PC would be to go for PS5 Pro. That is a very powerful marketing piece.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Their whole announcement timeline is weird if that was the case unless they pivoted once they knew supply was going to be down for the Series X model.

solidus12

Nice mid gen refresh that has been since day one performing worse than the base model of the competition.
They probably spoke to this guy:

dqpdXOq.jpg
o6VAJqM.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
The only new hardware I want in 2023 is a slim PS5. Seriously the PS4 Pro was the fattest PS4 model. Do you guys seriously want some shed lookin PS5 Pro piece of shit in your house?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s so insane that Alex is against a PS5 pro.

Can it really be that simple as, whatever Sony does he’s against it? Has he gone full WWE on us, is this a shoot? Or is he really that much of a bitter hater? 🤡
He was obsessed when he was on Gaf when HZD came out. He would nitpick over and over and over how the shadows were not 100% accurate to the RTGI with zoom in pics of rocks and light sources. He would then compare all of Sony games to the mighty Star Citizen. This was long before him working at DF.

Now that Starfield released with the just as inaccurate shadows to the RTGI, he is ho-hum silent. I bet he won't even go through endless Star Citizen graphics comparisons either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!! No interest in mid-gen consoles when developers won't take full advantage of the current consoles until the second half of the generation anyway.

After the goodwill of the showcase why is Xbox going full retard this week? First it was ‘Devs should try harder for Series S’ now this dumbfuck statement? Its just one thing after another with them…
To be fair this is something they said in 2020 DF just decided to do MS pr this week to support Phil's claims of not doing a mid-gen refresh 🙄 honestly I hope this blows up and MS is forced to clarify

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Isn't that what many of us also said in 2020 ?
A mid gen refresh that is on par with the competition's base model. God Xbox screwed the pooch if this is true.

How did Xbox's interviews become utter dogshit after a great e3 show? Better off saying fucking nothing than this

Gojiira

Banned
To be fair this is something they said in 2020 DF just decided to do MS pr this week to support Phil's claims of not doing a mid-gen refresh 🙄 honestly I hope this blows up and MS is forced to clarify
Ahhh, still the timing and everything. It just seems like Xbox try their absolute hardest to shoot themselves in the foot. Even Phils ‘Exclusives wont sell consoles’ statement whinging was another nugget recently too 😂

Zathalus

Not bad for 9.2TFs 🤭
Are some of you guys permanently stuck in 2020? Let's not pretend the PlayStation didn't have its own talking points being banded around back in the day, especially the speculation about the SSD and even the supposed superiority of 3D audio.

It's amazing that in 2023 I still see the exact same twitter stupid takes, Mark Cerny presentation slides, and bitching about DF that I did 3 years ago.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are some of you guys permanently stuck in 2020? Let's not pretend the PlayStation didn't have its own talking points being banded around back in the day, especially the speculation about the SSD and even the supposed superiority of 3D audio.

It's amazing that in 2023 I still see the exact same twitter stupid takes, Mark Cerny presentation slides, and bitching about DF that I did 3 years ago.
You sound upset.

The astroturfing was not nearly as bad, and never has been. MS are masters at that shit.

Top Bottom