• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Project xCloud will run on ARM Windows 10 PCs when it's released next year

CyberPanda

Banned
One of the issues with ARM-based Windows 10 PCs is gaming. There are few native ARM64 games, and they don't run well in emulation. x64 games don't run at all. There's good news though. Last month Microsoft announced that its Project xCloud game streaming service is coming to Windows 10 in 2020, the company confirmed today at Qualcomm's Snapdragon Technology Summit that it will support ARM64.

The big news around xCloud is that it takes the processing off of the device, running the game in the cloud. The actual system resources don't matter as much, so it should solve a lot of problems for ARM PCs.

The other big benefit with ARM PCs is that they have cellular connectivity, meaning that you'll be able to play your games from anywhere without having to store them on the device. Moreover, the new Snapdragon 8c and the 8cx both support 5G, which means lower latency and greater bandwidth. For game streaming, that can be optimal.

Unfortunately, Project xCloud is still only available on Android devices, and you'll have to wait until next year to get it on Windows.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wouldn't this be a really stupid move? No way this is real. Right?.........

ethomaz

Banned
Wouldn't this be a really stupid move? No way this is real. Right?.........
Why?

Streaming can works in any device independent of the CPU or OS.... you just need enough power to decode the video signal and send the gamepad inputs.

Edit - Wait, are you being sarcastic? :D

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why?

Streaming can works in any device independent of the CPU or OS.... you just need enough power to decode the video signal and send the gamepad inputs.

Edit - Wait, are you being sarcastic? :D

Oh! I read the story wrong. I thought it said the servers running Xcloud would have ARM processors.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh! I read the story wrong. I thought it said the servers running Xcloud would have ARM processors.
No :D they will stream to Windows 10 ARM edition (the writer says one of the issues of Windows 10 ARM is that it can't run x86 games so with xCloud that will be "fixed").
That is basically what you should expect... xCloud streaming to all kind of devices... it is a non-news lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

The thing you really want is a microsoft made portable console, like the switch 2nd edition. Internally it’s nothing but a low power, low processing, cheap streaming device. As long as you have wifi around the house or great cellular you can xcloud to your hearts content.

if anything stadia/xcloud is showing me is that it’s best use is for portable gaming. Nintendo better watch out, their portable space will be invaded soon., and with games that are essentially the same game which you can continue on your tv Xbox, just like what the switch promises.

The thing you really want is a microsoft made portable console, like the switch 2nd edition. Internally it’s nothing but a low power, low processing, cheap streaming device. As long as you have wifi around the house or great cellular you can xcloud to your hearts content.

if anything stadia/xcloud is showing me is that it’s best use is for portable gaming. Nintendo better watch out, their portable space will be invaded soon., and with games that are essentially the same game which you can continue on your tv Xbox, just like what the switch promises.
I agree with this. There has never been a better time to launch a handheld console. Vita 2, Xbox Go, Nintendo Gameman, lets do it!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Google Stadia runs on my HDMI dongle. Cloud based services running on electronic devices is not a massive technical feat tbh

Top Bottom