• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori confirms that a Final Fantasy Tactics remaster is, in fact, in the works.

Summer Games Fest looking like a major skip this hear.

I guess we'll see these whenever Sony decides to do a Showcase with PS5 Pro(if that's the plan) because they usually market alongside Square and there wasn't anything at the SoP.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

jack nicholson GIF

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wasn't the PSP version of Tactics a Remaster, and considered the definitive version of it? (Genuinely asking)

Yes and no. It added a bunch of new content and a new translation, but the game had some significant performance issues. I think there was a fan patch that addressed some of those issues, if you're into that sorta thing. Personally, I prefer the PS1 original.

mortal

This must be a remake, right? There is literally no way they are taking over 3 years for a FFVIII-tier remaster.
The previous rumors mentioned it not being anywhere as ambitious or radical as FFVII Remake. Best to keep expectations in check.
Maybe somewhere in between a remaster and a remake.

GHound

Gold Member
The previous rumors mentioned it not being anywhere as ambitious or radical as FFVII Remake. Best to keep expectations in check.
Maybe somewhere in between a remaster and a remake.
In all fairness you can be "not anywhere as ambitious or radical as FFVII Remake" simply by not being a reimagining of a single game into an expanded trilogy of full length games.

mortal

In all fairness you can be "not anywhere as ambitious or radical as FFVII Remake" simply by not being a reimagining of a single game into an expanded trilogy of full length games.
Well, FFVII Remake, despite its name, was more of a reimagining/reboot, rather than a conventional remake.
I'm assuming the rumor more so was referencing the AAA production values and budget of FFVII Remake, rather than the trilogy concept.

Shifty1897

This must be a remake, right? There is literally no way they are taking over 3 years for a FFVIII-tier remaster.
Maybe they're giving it the Tactics Ogre: Reborn treatment and overhauling some gameplay systems as well. Day One either way.

I was really worried this and SaGa Frontier 2 Remastered were chopped after all those mid tier games were cancelled. I guess SF2 still might be.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Hopefully CBU3 is somehow behind the project. Also next they have to work on both FF17 and of course a spiritual successor so Vagrant Story. 🤓

Needlecrash

Thank fuck the project is still ongoing. I'm hoping for mutliple improvements...

• Quick Save during battles
  • Expand maximum party roster to 48 (instead of 16 in the original and 24 in WOTL)
  • Music player
  • Ability to replay previously cleared story battles
  • Haptic feedback
  • Voice acting
  • Multi-player pvp and pve

Last edited:

Hudo

Good Question. I wonder if his studio, Algebra Project is involved. However, I read one of his tweets a few months ago, stating he knows nothing about it.
He also later tweeted that even if he knew about it, he couldn't say he did publicly as this would be for Square Enix to say.

Needlecrash

He also later tweeted that even if he knew about it, he couldn't say he did publicly as this would be for Square Enix to say.

Hmmm. Good point. They'd be the developer and Square Enix obviously holds the IP. And Algebra Project would be under a NDA.

Shifty1897

Who made Tactics Ogre Reborn? I'd reckon they'd task that team with that project as well and bring Matsuno on board again.
Algebra Factory handled most of Tactics Ogre Reborn, a company founded by Matsuno in 2016. I think you're right on the money to think they're going to be behind FFTR as well.

Myths

“Please allow me to insert a disclaimer about rumors I can neither confirm nor deny, but the viewer traffic is much appreciated nevertheless.”

near

Gold Member
Algebra Factory handled most of Tactics Ogre Reborn, a company founded by Matsuno in 2016. I think you're right on the money to think they're going to be behind FFTR as well.
Algebra Factory is pretty much a one man team lead by Matsuno as a planning and scenario writing company. He was involved in an executive, supervisory role, as the original game designer, the actual programming was handled by some other company.

I speculate Creative Studio 3 since a lot of the remaining old guard from the Tactics and FF12 team are in this studio, and Yoshi-P is also a huge fan who has spoken about it before. There was also news recently that CS3 are working on two unannounced games, and considering they aren't a very large team and have recently launched FF16, with on-going support for FF14, my guess is that they have at least one smaller project in the pipeline, which could very well be this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom