• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasumi Matsuno Encourages Fans to Play Unicorn Overlord Amid Final Fantasy Tactics Revival Demands

GIkMkxxaMAARF3n

Yasumi Matsuno, renowned for his directorial work on classic strategy RPGs such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre, has once again addressed fans clamoring for revivals of these beloved titles. In a recent turn of events, Matsuno took to Twitter, sharing an image of his copy of Unicorn Overlord, sparking renewed calls for a remaster or sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics. However, Matsuno’s response was clear: he urged fans to divert their attention to Unicorn Overlord, a suggestion that might disappoint some but offers a new avenue for RPG enjoyment.

Matsuno’s post quickly became a nexus for fans expressing their longing for more of his tactical RPG magic. Comments ranged from hopeful wishes for a Final Fantasy Tactics announcement to calls for new ventures.
In light of these fervent requests, Matsuno’s guidance was unequivocal. He appreciates the passion but recommends giving Unicorn Overlord a chance. “It’s nice of you to say that, but first, let’s play ‘Unicorn Overlord.’ I pray that sales of this new simulation RPG will exceed one million copies,” Matsuno responded to one of the tweets. This stance reiterates his message for fans to explore this latest offering, which bears the hallmark of his strategic depth and storytelling prowess.
This scenario isn’t new to Matsuno, who, as early as June, subtly stoked the fires of speculation regarding a Final Fantasy Tactics remaster. However, by December, he made it clear there were “no plans” for such a project, steering the conversation back towards Unicorn Overlord. Matsuno’s repeated redirections from requests for revisiting his past works to focusing on his current projects underscore a desire to move forward, encouraging fans to embrace new experiences within the strategy RPG genre.

As Unicorn Overlord steps into the spotlight, Matsuno’s hope for its success reflects not just a personal wish but a broader aspiration for the strategy RPG community to rally around new titles. While the longing for the classics remains, Matsuno’s current narrative invites fans to open a new chapter with Unicorn Overlord, potentially setting the stage for it to become a new benchmark in the genre.

Celine

Fans should be encouraged to demand a re-release of Ogre Battle games, maybe an inclusion of the SNES and N64 episodes on Nintendo Switch Online, alongside play the newly launched Unicorn Overlord which is heavily in debt with OB.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Well, unsurprisingly, turns out that Jason Schreier was full of shit, as always. He said more than a year ago a FFT remaster is coming....
Remaster for FFT could still come out, but doesn’t look like there is a remake (Star Ocean style) or a new game in the works.

Remaster could easily be handed to a number of outside studios to do.

I hate to be that asshole, and I 100% understand where he is coming from and would want the game to succeed for that reason, but I can't play a game that was localized in the way that Unicorn was.

I can't stand for people that alter what the writers intended. The soul of their characters is in that, and I want it EXACTLY how their creators intended it.

I keep going back to that River City Girls example, where the game has two options, Localized and Translated or something like that, I can't remember off the top of my head.

And I get that it would take a lot of work, but I wish that would the norm. For assholes like me to give them my money.

Anyway, I want the game to succeed either way, Tactics is fantastic.
Is just a really strong pet peeve of mine.

I would if I can find it!
Welp... Atlus said they won't be reprinting the CE's, and the one for the Switch is already sold out at VGP and other retailers.

Atlus is now sold out of the Nintendo Switch Collector's Edition, with no plans to reprint. Therefore, we will not be receiving any restock shipments.

Anyway, gonna go back and play some more Unicorn Overlord. It's a heavy contender for my personal GOTY so far.

Last edited:

Hugare

Well, unsurprisingly, turns out that Jason Schreier was full of shit, as always. He said more than a year ago a FFT remaster is coming....
To be fair, it was in the infamous Nvidia leak

If it was there, there's a high chance that it existed at some point

Hudo

To be fair, it was in the infamous Nvidia leak

If it was there, there's a high chance that it existed at some point
True. But if his "sources" is just the Nvidia leak then why the fuck are people jerking themselves off over what that gremlin shits out on Twitter? And the one time I join the circle jerk due to confirmation bias, I am disappointed.

Top Bottom