• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Tyson Repeatedly Punches Man on Plane (for harassing him)

When I see a video of a person calling a black person a N-word, and the black person reacts with physical violence, I am always on the side of "No adult should allow (non threatening) words to escalate to violence", and thus, I don't think Tyson should have reacted violently.

On the other hand, Tyson is 100% correct when he says "Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it". People talk to one another like shite nowadays and it's partly because people have a false sense of security that there will be no reaction. But when you do react, their balls shrivel up liked you've dipped them in an ice bath.

Tl;DR Tyson shouldn't have lost his cool, but this guy shouldn't have been an anoyying prick. Maybe Tyson should have just shot him in the leg grabbed him by the throat so the guy knew he meant business.

Judging by that aftermath pic he really, REALLY held back because he would've knocked that scrawny kid's head clean off.

I love how everyone is just totally okay with this instead of going after him for punching someone.

So I can only conclude that it's okay to punch social media turds. Hunting season is open! Thanks Mike!

It should be legal, then maybe society will have less fucking obnoxious cunts.

When I see a video of a person calling a black person a N-word, and the black person reacts with physical violence, I am always on the side of "No adult should allow (non threatening) words to escalate to violence", and thus, I don't think Tyson should have reacted violently.

On the other hand, Tyson is 100% correct when he says "Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it". People talk to one another like shite nowadays and it's partly because people have a false sense of security that there will be no reaction. But when you do react, their balls shrivel up liked you've dipped them in an ice bath.

Tl;DR Tyson shouldn't have lost his cool, but this guy shouldn't have been an anoyying prick. Maybe Tyson should have just shot him in the leg grabbed him by the throat so the guy knew he meant business.
I’m not saying there should be zero consequences for Tyson. He should probably pay some kind of fine for touching up this idiot. But I am saying that I don’t think he did anything uncalled for here. We have a society, so we have to discourage the idea you can beat up anyone who acts annoying.

But I think the threat that you might get your ass kicked is a decent deterrent for minimizing the kind of behavior we see here. And the airline should bar the instigator from flying with them again while leaving Tyson alone. Maybe even apologize for not kicking this jackass off the plane immediately.

I kind of reject that idea that words should NEVER escalate to violence. It’s all about proportionality. If you run off out the mouth in a disrespectful way, you run the risk of being disrespected physically. Now if you’re the person who decides to escalate things from verbal to physical, you are going to bare some responsibility for the consequences. But I don’t think that means you were wrong to do it. Maybe fighting isn’t the best choice, but it’s not always the wrong choice either.

It’s kind of like Will Smith. I understand that he thought those words met the threshold for a physical response. I just disagree with him. And when you consider his entire circumstances with his wife and the situation at the Oscars, I think his rationale for slapping Chris Rock seems ridiculous. But I don’t think that means all cases of physical confrontation are completely uncalled for.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
xaloBJi.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Are people going to go harder on Will Smith for slapping then Mike Tyson were punching? Both got put in arguably uncomfortable positions.

I mean, I really like Mike Tyson's demeanor, from what I've seen in interviews over the last few years. Seems like a pretty easy guy to get along with, but I can't help compare the two situations.

Yes, there are variables, but what are they? One was at The Oscars (who cares aside from the producers), and one was caused by general pestering while one was caused by someone trying to defend their wife (which I think is somewhat understandable, even if I don't agree).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are people going to go harder on Will Smith for slapping then Mike Tyson were punching? Both got put in arguably uncomfortable positions.

I mean, I really like Mike Tyson's demeanor, from what I've seen in interviews over the last few years. Seems like a pretty easy guy to get along with, but I can't help compare the two situations.

Yes, there are variables, but what are they? One was at The Oscars (who cares aside from the producers), and one was caused by general pestering while one was caused by someone trying to defend their wife (which I think is somewhat understandable, even if I don't agree).
I guess we will have to wait for the full unedited footage from these cowards.

Since Mike Tyson's camp claims he was hit by a water bottle or the cup of water the person was holding prior. Which then would be assault, and tightening someone up with fisticuff love taps are a warranted defense.

Also considering flight crews have been far more 0 to 100 gestapo over things written on a face napkin, than seemingly allowing this to pester for what seemed several minutes.

Last edited:
The story is uniquely annoying given the fact that Tyson has worked for years to better himself both mentally and emotionally. He has worked very hard on his anger issues and tried to rehabilitate his image.

Then some drunk chuckle fuck who is clearly not mentally stable decides that he's going to harass a former heavyweight champion boxer on a fucking airplane. Now the story is going to be that Tyson he still has issues, dangerous, etc etc.

Fuck that guy and I hope Tyson does not have to pay him a cent for any of this.
The guy has a rap sheet the spells drug addict, dude is a piece of shit and deserved it. I hope Mike doesn't have to pay him.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I guess we will have to wait for the full unedited footage from these cowards.

Since Mike Tyson's camp claims he was hit by a water bottle or the cup of water the person was holding prior. Which then would be assault, and tightening someone up with fisticuff love taps are a warranted defense.

Also considering flight crews have been far more 0 to 100 gestapo over things written on a face napkin, than seemingly allowing this to pester for what seemed several minutes.
Looks like first class/business class no less.

If the guy was drunk then he'll get hit with drunken disorderly. On a plane still on the ground I've no idea if that is a local or federal charge. Probably be banned from Jet Blue for life.

I've a hard time imagining even a San Francisco AG bringing charges against Mike. I've an equally hard time imagining this Floridian douchbag has access to a lawyer that would rep him in a civil suit, though a lower form of legal lowlife can certainly be discovered.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

1.) Mike Tyson was continuously harassed on a plane. Security/Stewards did nothing to stop the situation from escalating. Mike Tyson, after having a water bottle thrown at him by the harasser, defended himself.

2.) Chris Rock made a very minor joke about Will Smith's Wife in a venue where he was paid to make jokes about the people in the audience. Will Smith decides to attack him over it.

If you really, genuinely can't tell the difference between the two, you have major issues you need to work through. That goes for anyone trying to act like people are being hypocritical. Use your damn brains.

Gamerguy84

I watched Mike in the exhibition with Roy Jones last year sometime. He's still quick and has power. This guy needs to consider himself lucky that's all he got.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Eh, I don’t think we need to prescribe anyone as having “major issues”. It’s just a conversation.

I think it’s fair to say both of them went too far in their respective situations. Mike Tyson put up with more crap and distributed more crap… but both were out of proportion.

It’s okay to discuss this kind of stuff without hopping on people so quickly. I’m not condemning anyone.

Eh, I don’t think we need to prescribe anyone as having “major issues”. It’s just a conversation.

I think it’s fair to say both of them went too far in their respective situations. Mike Tyson put up with more crap and distributed more crap… but both were out of proportion.

It’s okay to discuss this kind of stuff without hopping on people so quickly. I’m not condemning anyone.
I think the difference is this. What Chris Rock did was, by most accounts, appropriate, acceptable behavior. Hell, the Oscars had him up there to crack a few jokes. So Smith’s reaction was uncalled for. He knew why Chris was there. He’s not new to this kind of thing. So most people don’t think it’s OK to hit a professional comedian telling pretty mild jokes. Chris Rock got hit for doing his job, in other words.

This guy on the plane was just being an asshole. Not just out in public but when Mike was in his seat on an airplane minding his business. His behavior was completely outside the norm, belligerent and aggressive. So hitting him, while an escalation, isn’t uncalled for.

DavidGzz

If it were me, I'd throw just one punch back to be able to say I went one round with the champ. The same as most people who fought him. Lol

Mr Hyde

The prick looks like a douchebag and acted like a douchebag. He got what he deserved. Don´t start nothing and it ain´t gonna be nothing. Mike is at no fault here.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

Dude... Mike was being HECKLED from behind his seat. How would you even compare the two situations as if they were fucking equal?

That’s the thing, there is a thing called boundaries.

The internet made people lose them. When boundaries are crossed after you told someone to respect them, things escalate. No one just lets people cross their boundaries.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Catphish

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
is it? both situations are someone responding with physical violence to some perceived verbal provocation

the nuance of circumstance is ripe for hypocrisy when you think you’re able to make a judgement on where the line is drawn, where you think in some circumstances it is appropriate to escalate to assault and some not…you will tie yourself in knots

in this particular circumstance, like in Will Smith drama, there is no mention of any attempt to deescalate this situation other than having to hit someone

Plane douche bag hit Mike in the head with a water bottle after he was told, by Mike, to stop MULTIPLE TIMES...

Will slapped Rock after Rock had made a joke (likely not knowing about Jada's hair loss) about her being in G.I. Jane 2...

Completely different!

winjer

Gold Member
Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

This is not some random altercation. That guy provoked Tyson, repeatedly and purposefully.
Maybe his plan was to get punched by a Tyson, to sue him and get a few million dollars.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Self Suck Saturday segment on Mike Tyson:

Remember to subscribe to see Timmy suck his own dick!

Last edited:

Pejo

Just a quick update on this, apparently Tyson will not be charged for teaching that guy a life lesson.

Both Tyson and the guy requested that no charges be filed. Dude walks away with a story, Tyson got a few free punches in. Happy ending!

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Just a quick update on this, apparently Tyson will not be charged for teaching that guy a life lesson.

Both Tyson and the guy requested that no charges be filed. Dude walks away with a story, Tyson got a few free punches in. Happy ending!
Good news?

In MY modern society? What is this?

Top Bottom