• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy boxart

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Dreamfixx said:
Wow. It's a picture of people standing outside the Namco office building, holding up signs. That's a terrible boxart. They weren't even trying. Looks like it payed off, though. Everybody seems to think it's "quirky" and "original". Awful cover.
Looks like your tag is a perfect fit.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Socreges said:
Really, that is terrible boxart.

I'd like to see Bungie or Silicon Knights get praised for something like this.
meh, I think both of you miss the point. It works because it fits the game and its stylings perfectly. Cult hit, quirky etc.

If Bungie or some one else tried this they would be met with appropriate "wtfs."

Now if bungie really made a "pimps at sea" and had people dressed in pirate suits, then we could talk

opkal

I wonder if they staged that photo, or people truly were having a happy riot out in front of the Namco building, truly proving that everyone does indeed love Katamari.

Socreges

Banned
scola said:
meh, I think both of you miss the point. It works because it fits the game and its stylings perfectly. Cult hit, quirky etc.

If Bungie or some one else tried this they would be met with appropriate "wtfs."

Now if bungie really made a "pimps at sea" and had people dressed in pirate suits, then we could talk
You assume too much. I understand the game's nature. I'm not comparing Halo to Katamari. It's just that this type of cover is, quite frankly, retarded for any game. But because it is deliberately different (as is the game), then people accept it so warmly. "Pimps at Sea 2" by Bungie would be met with a chorus of boos and "wtf"s if they tried something like this, I'm quite sure!

Flynn

Socreges said:
You assume too much. I understand the game's nature. I'm not comparing Halo to Katamari. It's just that this type of cover is, quite frankly, retarded for any game. But because it is deliberately different (as is the game), then people accept it so warmly. "Pimps at Sea 2" by Bungie would be met with a chorus of boos and "wtf"s if they tried something like this, I'm quite sure!

You're absolutely right. Because Bungie makes games for people that want more of the same and Katamari Damacy is a game for people who don't.

What's wrong with the cover? The game is called "Everybody <3s Katamari Damacy" and the cover is a picture of a crowd making a tribute to Katamari Damacy. Don't know about you, but it strikes me as quite fitting with the title.

BuddyC

Flynn said:
You're absolutely right. Because Bungie makes games for people that want more of the same and Katamari Damacy is a game for people who don't.
Uh, you do realize that Everyone Loves Katamari doesn't really bring anything new to the Katamari formula in terms of gameplay, and is in essence, more of the same, yes?

On second thought, nevermind. I can't, or perhaps just don't want to, wrap my head around what you guys are arguing about to begin with. Eesh.

A quirky game gets quirky boxart. Surprise!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dreamfixx said:
Everybody seems to think it's "quirky" and "original".
Because it is original. How many boxarts have you seen that use an actual photograph and not artwork? This is more akin to an album cover than a game. It rules.

Socreges

Banned
That's a crowd? I thought it was the staff that developed the game, considering the building in the background. Though that's probably too many people now that you mention it.

Upgraded to 'OK and fitting', then. :)

Flynn said:
You miss the point, or you're just making your own.

Flynn

Socreges said:
You miss the point, or you're just making your own.

We're making the same point. The box matches the game and the audience.

Halo fans want a box cover that shows their hero being a big strong man.

Katamari Damacy fans want something creative or just plain out there.

Everybody's happy.

Uh, you do realize that Everyone Loves Katamari doesn't really bring anything new to the Katamari formula in terms of gameplay, and is in essence, more of the same, yes?

Yes, I do. There's been a million guy shooting alien games, there's only been one appeasing the King of All Cosmos by rolling Japanese detrius into a ball.

Statistically, Namco still make a dozen of these games before they cause a blip in the annals of overdone game genres.

Socreges

Banned
Flynn said:
We're making the same point. The box matches the game and the audience.

Halo fans want a box cover that shows their hero being a big strong man.

Katamari Damacy fans want something creative or just plain out there.

Everybody's happy.
I was talking about 'insert American company', not Halo. Kind of a similar point to how people bust a nut over Jpn boxart, and then thumb their nose at the US one (nearly identical or superior).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I bust a nut over it, because I have friends on the cover... Yes that is the Namco buliding and that is Namco staff... I am no sure if they all working the game but for the most part they work at Namco..

If Bungie or Bioware did something like this in the right context I would be soooo happy!

There is nothing like this boxart from the US so I think what you are saying is moot at this point... you are just kicking up dust for no real reason

Jonnyram

BuddyC said:
Well we don't know that for sure yet ;) Still, co-op mode looks fantastic.

RaidenZR

I have to say that some of the supporters here are doing some ill-justification on Namco's behalf but I pose the question nonetheless:

Why must things that make some people happy in this world be immediately and ceaselessly shat upon by others? And this is box art, for crying out loud!

Socreges

Banned
So it is the staff... then yeah, lame. Not "kicking up dust" here, don't be silly.

I'd understand positive feelings if you've got friends on it. That's actually pretty cool.

BuddyC

Jonnyram said:
Well we don't know that for sure yet ;) Still, co-op mode looks fantastic.
Don't interpret that as being anything close to negative. I think the coolest ELK tidbit I've heard is the snowman level, where you make the head for a snowman and roll up the eyes, nose and smile.

Co-op is just awesome to boot, screaming "UP UP UP NO LEFT ALRIGHT RIGHT" at the Namco booth is probably one of my favorite E3 memories.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Socreges said:
So it is the staff... then yeah, lame. Not "kicking up dust" here, don't be silly.

I'd understand positive feelings if you've got friends on it. That's actually pretty cool.

Yeah thanks,.. but I think you are kicking up dust... turning it into an east vs west thread is pointless... no one said that western boxes suck...just they hope they don't change this boxart... that is all I am getting at

Socreges

Banned
Blackace said:
Yeah thanks,.. but I think you are kicking up dust... turning it into an east vs west thread is pointless... no one said that western boxes suck...just they hope they don't change this boxart... that is all I am getting at
What does this even mean? I posted a thought, an opinion, an observation... this is what we do here. If you don't like it, tough. You've made it clear, now move along.

Top Bottom