• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mix up with Hellsing and Gungrave UMDs

.hacked

Just to give everyone a heads up on these two UMD releases.

I got both of the yesterday and there is one big problem.

The UMD inside the Hellsing box, labeled Hellsing is actually Gungrave vol 1

Same goes with Gungrave, box says Gungrave, UMD says Gungrave but put it in the PSP and it plays Hellsing.

Looks like there was some bit mix up somewhere.

Just to reiterate

Gungrave vol 1 on the box, Gungrave vol 1 on the UMD pop it in a PSP you get Hellsing vol 1

Hellsing vol 1 on the box, hellsing vol 1 on the UMD pop it in a PSP you get Gungrave vol 1.

All the other anime UMDs I have are OK (Apple Seed, Steamboy and Samurai Champloo).

robot

I dont understand why you wouldnt just buy a gig stick (or two) and just convert your DVD's. This way you have the DVD and a version for PSP. 2 episodes on a umd is ridiculous - thats like 13 umds for the entire season of samurai champloo - and u dont even get a bitchin box to hold it in.

Not .hacked in particular, I realize he has more money than he knows what to do with, just people in general.

Juice

robot said:
I dont understand why you wouldnt just buy a gig stick (or two) and just convert your DVD's. This way you have the DVD and a version for PSP. 2 episodes on a umd is ridiculous - thats like 13 umds for the entire season of samurai champloo - and u dont even get a bitchin box to hold it in.

Not .hacked in particular, I realize he has more money than he knows what to do with, just people in general.

that's what i do and it takes too long. still not worth blowing 20 bucks on a movie you can only play on your psp.

why doesn't this thing have a hard drive? If they're really after the ipod, then charge the same as one and include what it has.

manji

yah, 2 eps/UMD = 12 or 13 UMDs...even at $11.99 DDD.com prices, that's stupidly, stupidly overpriced.

As for the mix-up, that's definitely unfortunate...hopefully they do some kind of B&M trade-in program, instead of forcing you to mail anything out.

manji said:
yah, 2 eps/UMD = 12 or 13 UMDs...even at $11.99 DDD.com prices, that's stupidly, stupidly overpriced.

As for the mix-up, that's definitely unfortunate...hopefully they do some kind of B&M trade-in program, instead of forcing you to mail anything out.

I tried tellign Geneon this at Anime Central 2005, but they're all about getting into the PSP market. For just $5-10 more you can have the whole DVD with extraa not including deal on the net. I for one could care less about UMDs, but who asked me anyway. :p

I'm all for gettinga Gig stick and ripping...espciallyl since I have a massive DVD collection........

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's not that hard to understand. There are several advantages a UMD has over converting your own vids to memstick. Obviously some people weigh those factors higher than the disadvantages.

* You are not averse to watching media on a small screen.
* You commute a lot or otherwise have breaks where you have no access to a tv/computer.
* You prefer taking along a media player which is smaller than a laptop.
* Converting movies cost time. How much time is worth varies per person.
* UMD video is higher quality than converted movies. Not sure about the newly supported video formats.
* UMD video ideally has chapter stops, additional languages, optional subtitles. Although some UMD releases are really ass and have none of these features :p
* There's more but you get my point

Obviously not everybody has a need or desire for umd movies, but I don't understand why some people think there is no demand.

That said I wish the PSP had some kind of video out or that at least in the future there will be other UMD players around.

Even though the PSP has a great screen, I prefer using my Archos AV400 to watch anime episodes on the go (hour long train commutes a day). The PSP has a gorgeous 480x272 display, while the AV400 only is 320x240 with no fancy filters (making some subtitles hard to read). But my Archos has a 20Gb HDD and dumping some encodes/fansubs on it and having a choice of what to watch ranks of higher importance to me. (The AV400 has video out but it's not a feature I use)

I don't mind watching UMD movies, but I do agree with some people that they are overpriced for what they are. $14 for Labyrinth of Dark Crystal is fine by me, but $24 for Pirates of the Caribbean or the Kill Bills is asking for way too much.

manji

Well, I've got an issue with paying $19.99-$29.99 for 3-4 eps on a dvd as well, but yeah...at least you get extras with that.

It's just unreasonable to expect people to pay $14.99 for 50mins of already-released content...just like it's unreasonable to expect people to pay $19.99 (usually more than the DVD price) for a single feature film.

I've been pretty lucky with sticking to $14.99 for movies (Crouching Tiger's down to $14.88 at Walmart, btw), and I'm actually happy with paying that...I really don't have the time to encode ALL of my stuff, and I like bringin' a few UMDs with me on flights and trips.

But for 2 eps of a show...just not a good call, I really dunno how you could justify that.

Slayven

A mix up with two shows whos' main characters are two undead guys who possess two big ass guns and shoots monsters.....is it me or is ti a conspiracy?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
manji said:
But for 2 eps of a show...just not a good call, I really dunno how you could justify that.

I agree. An UMD of a series should have as many episodes as it has on one DVD. 4 episodes of an anime series should fit on an UMD, not sure about 5 episodes but oh well. Just 2 episodes for that price is silly. Also because eventually the whole series will take up way too many UMDs.

I'd actually be more inclined to buy anime UMDs than movie ones if they were 4 episodes to a UMD. Anime just fits the avg time i'd actually sit and watch my PSP if i chose to (~25 mins), also since anime dvds are usually about $20 shipped i wouldn't feel bad paying around $17 shipped for something comparable to what you'd get on DVD. At 2 episodes a disc though that's prison style loving and i want no part of it. I had a feeling it was going to happen though, at 4 episodes a disc anime on UMD would actually be affordable and not have the extra markup like Anime DVDs have when compared to normal DVDs. Shame really Champloo ended up being a great series.

I'd consider going the DVD -> mem stick route if you could actually run stuff at 480x272 instead of having to resize/workaround/etc. Way it is now it's more trouble than it's worth, it's work to get everything ripped and encoded right, even then you lose quality, and then there's the whole native reso problem.

neptunes

a1lu9i.jpg

H.264 Encoder
The company is acquiring a Memory Stick Video Format (MSVF) license from Sony, and the files that are outputted by this device can be viewed on portable game devices supporting MSVF -- such as the PSP. When outputting files, two resolutions can be selected: SDTV (525i) for use with household TVs, and QVGA (320 x 240) for use with the PSP.

no clue as to how much it costs.

Heh yeah cause us poor PSP owners haven't already shelled out enough money to make our PSP's usable.

and QVGA (320 x 240) for use with the PSP

That's brilliant, especially considering that the PSP's native reso is 480 x 272.

Zeo

Banned
Haha. That's pretty funny.

You bought a UMD movie.

Oh, and the mixup is pretty funny too.

(zing~)

.hacked

You can rip and encode your own DVDs to a mem card but if you got money to buy UMDs why bother?

I rather be able to pick up a UMD on a whim than have to sit down rip and reencode a DVD.

Oh and those complaining about the 2 eps per disc, you can get them for $11.00 each 1/2 the price of the DVD.

Please don't bitch about price when you want someone to blow $150+ on a one gig mem stick vs a $14 (on average) UMD.

manji

.hacked said:
Please don't bitch about price when you want someone to blow $150+ on a one gig mem stick vs a $14 (on average) UMD.

hmm...one $97 (shipped) reusable 1g memstick for my vaio, psp, tv, and camera...or 1/2 of an old anime series on 6 seperate UMDs.

:) I'm just sayin'...

edit:
We're not all advising peeps to run out and pick up memsticks, just commenting on how we don't feel that 2 eps on 1 UMD is worth the price. I've already said that 4 eps on 1 DVD isn't worth it either...so the UMD being 1/2 the DVD price doesn't really help.

A lot of us still buy UMDs (I've got 'bout 7 movies and 8 or so games myself), but at reasonable prices. Anyone who owns Pirates o' the Caribbean for $24.99 either is an idiot, or got it as a gift :D

.hacked

manji said:
hmm...one $97 (shipped) reusable 1g memstick for my vaio, psp, tv, and camera...or 1/2 of an old anime series on 6 seperate UMDs.

:) I'm just sayin'...

edit:
We're not all advising peeps to run out and pick up memsticks, just commenting on how we don't feel that 2 eps on 1 UMD is worth the price. I've already said that 4 eps on 1 DVD isn't worth it either...so the UMD being 1/2 the DVD price doesn't really help.

A lot of us still buy UMDs (I've got 'bout 7 movies and 8 or so games myself), but at reasonable prices. Anyone who owns Pirates o' the Caribbean for $24.99 either is an idiot, or got it as a gift :D

I own:

1gig mem stick

2 x 512mem sticks

2 x 256mb mem sticks

4 x 32mb mem sticks

I'd still take the convenience of a UMD over ripping a DVD. I have only gone through the trouble 1 time (ripping the DVD that cam with my import FMA soundtrack) and it is flawed at best.

If I want to watch a DVD I'll take my portable DVD player. If I want to play a game or watch a movie I'll take my PSP and a UMD.

It is about having options, I can do just about what ever the fuck I want :)

this topic wasn't posted to convert people to the format, just to let those who are interested know that there is a problem (Geneon rep informed me that are looking into the problem right away).

Oh and one more thing...

umdfu2xi.jpg

B'z-chan

Banned
Morphix you just have too much money to burn.

Hows the new Bleach game on PS2?

Anyways thanks for letting me know cause i was gonna get Hellsing as a gift for someone but decided not to. Instead i got the gilgamesh box and dvd.

.hacked

B'z-chan said:
Hows the new Bleach game on PS2?

My brother likes it a lot, the intro alone seems to be worth the price of admission (you get to see all sorts of neat shit not seen in the anime yet). I have not played it yet because I have been playing Ouendan for the DS.

All I can say about the Bleach games is that most of the options are in English and if you get the Asian version it has a fold out that is all in English that explains the game controls.

Really it is a no brainer if you are a Bleach fan. get it.

.hacked

Sony did it!!!!

Sony mixed up the two masters and Geneon will issue a recall from our Retail Partners. If any of the bad product does make it on to the retail shelves (street date is Aug 16th) then they will be collectors items! Any bad product that is purchased is returnable through the point of purchase.

John Bailey
Asst. Director of Operations
Geneon Entertainment

michael000 said:
Heh yeah cause us poor PSP owners haven't already shelled out enough money to make our PSP's usable.

QUOTE: and QVGA (320 x 240) for use with the PSP

That's brilliant, especially considering that the PSP's native reso is 480 x 272.
The credit for the brilliance should go to Sony. You can't play MP4 files of 480x272 using the built-in player. 320x240 is the max. Well, I think you can use a width that goes somewhat beyond that, but the height needs to be lower to compensate.

Top Bottom