• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Well it's too bad yaco doesn't even explain what the sport is in the OP. That is what I mean by useful.

I've never even heard of Ion TV and apparently there are UFC 140 prelims on the channel.

Yaco definitely needs to keep it up-to-date in regards to champions, events, roster changes and stuff but does he really need to explain the rules and how MMA is "played?" People get punched in the face and fall down, people get their limbs hyperextended and tap, or someone just sits on them for 25 mins and apologises afterward.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Yaco definitely needs to keep it up-to-date in regards to champions, events, roster changes and stuff but does he really need to explain the rules and how MMA is "played?" People get punched in the face and fall down, people get their limbs hyperextended and tap, or someone just sits on them for 25 mins and apologises afterward.

Well the up-to-date stuff plus a FAQ like Boogie's would be good.

Oh I misread the Alvez Kampmann on UFC on FX 2 as being on Fox. Thought that was an odd choice for a mainstream draw, although should be a good fight.

But the choices they made for Fox are even more surprising.

yacobod

Banned
Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis
Mark Muñoz vs. Chael Sonnen
Demetrious Johnson vs. Eddie Wineland
John Olav Einemo vs. Mike Russow

I must say, this card doesn't excite me in the slightest.

me neither, is this really the best the UFC could put together for the 3rd largest market in the united states? this is fucking garbage. and from the stand point of attracting casual fans, this card doesn't even have a fucking draw on it besides chael sonnen. and i doubt he can even sell a match up with mark munoz.

would have been better if they made alves/kampmann for fox instead of fx, at least that will be an exciting fight.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When someone does that I am not impressed with their performance.

Huh? What would be odd about that? It would be a way better choice than the garbage currently on the card.
I agree it would be a much better choice as far as entertainment. What I meant was they aren't really fighters I would think UFC would push to be mainstream stars. They're mid-tier. Alvez probably won't even make weight.

ElNino

I agree it would be a much better choice as far as entertainment. What I meant was they aren't really fighters I would think UFC would push to be mainstream stars. They're mid-tier. Alvez probably won't even make weight.
Kampmann was basically in line for a title shot if not for a couple of split decisions that went the wrong way. He may not be a big name, but I think he is legitimately above mid-tier.

As for Alvez... you're right, he probably won't make weight. :)

TheNatural

My Member!

So what you're saying is, Rashad has ruined your special night, AGAIN?

AiTM

Banned
That card is horrible. Surprised Sonnen is on there. Anderson really doesn't want to fight him again. I know I know his shoulder is hurt.

yacobod

Banned
Call me crazy but i think Mr. 1derful Phil Davis beats rashad. The base of Mr. 1derful's MMA-pyramid is quite a bit larger and more structurally solid than Sugar Rashad's.

Kampmann was basically in line for a title shot if not for a couple of split decisions that went the wrong way. He may not be a big name, but I think he is legitimately above mid-tier.

As for Alvez... you're right, he probably won't make weight. :)
Ya, that's true. And Alvez was a contender not too long ago. He needs to learn how to cut from Tibau.

I just realized that UFC Japan is likely going to be the exact opposite as UFC Brazil, as far as crown enthusiasm and home fighters winning.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
me neither, is this really the best the UFC could put together for the 3rd largest market in the united states? this is fucking garbage. and from the stand point of attracting casual fans, this card doesn't even have a fucking draw on it besides chael sonnen. and i doubt he can even sell a match up with mark munoz.

would have been better if they made alves/kampmann for fox instead of fx, at least that will be an exciting fight.

I think it's hilarious that FX and Fuel both get better main events than the second Fox show. Maybe not as relevant to the title picture but from an entertainment standpoint, I'd rather watch Alves/Kampmann, Ellenberger/Sanchez, and Guillard/Miller than Evans/Davis.

Heel

I have a hard time believing they'd put JOE vs. Russow on national television. That can't be the complete main card, can it?

Call me crazy but i think Mr. 1derful Phil Davis beats rashad. The base of Mr. 1derful's MMA-pyramid is quite a bit larger and more structurally solid than Sugar Rashad's.

I agree with you yaco. Phil will ruin Rashad's special night. You guys can hop on the Mr. Wonderfulwagon after this coming out party. I'll be hopping off as soon as he wins.

Heel

Former top tenner heavyweight Brett Rogers has been sentenced to 60 days behind bars.

i90qXWOJf5RHp.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have a hard time believing they'd put JOE vs. Russow on national television. That can't be the complete main card, can it?
They either get a huge KTFO or a slick sub from J.O.E.

I agree with you yaco. Phil will ruin Rashad's special night. You guys can hop on the Mr. Wonderfulwagon after this coming out party. I'll be hopping off as soon as he wins.

He looked pretty bad last fight. Rashad will jab jab jab.

parasight

Haters be damned, Rashad is one of the best, most explosive wrestlers in MMA. On another level than Mr. Wonderful's. Phil's striking has always been lackluster in all his fights. Rashad at least has movement and KO power. Just don't see Phil offering any real threat from any aspect.

That said I do anticipate a moment late in the fight (if it goes that long) where Rashad gets clipped. Seems to happen in all his fights.

Dysun

I have never been impressed by Phil Davis.

He couldnt even take Lil Nog down until he gassed out. Rashad is gonna work him over.

Heel

I have never been impressed by Phil Davis.

He couldnt even take Lil Nog down until he gassed out. Rashad is gonna work him over.

-Took Lil' Nog down at will when he switched to the single leg.

-Sent top tenner Brian Stann to middleweight.

-Sent future top tenner Tim Boetsch to middleweight with The Wonderbar.

-Subbed future top tenner Alexander Gustafsson in the 1st round.

He's easily one of the best LHW's not named Jon Jones, and he's only getting better.

ScOULaris

Haters be damned, Rashad is one of the best, most explosive wrestlers in MMA. On another level than Mr. Wonderful's. Phil's striking has always been lackluster in all his fights. Rashad at least has movement and KO power. Just don't see Phil offering any real threat from any aspect.

That said I do anticipate a moment late in the fight (if it goes that long) where Rashad gets clipped. Seems to happen in all his fights.

Yup. Davis has always shown promise, but Rashad is on another level. I don't know if he will finish Davis, but I don't see how Rashad will leave with anything other than the W.

Heel

Mr. Wonderful will shatter popular belief and win this on the ground. Rashad was taken down by 2011's Tito Ortiz.

Heel

2x ADCC champion and communist Jeff "The Snowman" Monson reflects on the beating received from the great Fedor that made him appreciate America.

Ended up breaking my leg in the second round from the one kick I checked in the match. After the fight I had a choice of two hospitals. One for everyday folks and one for visitors and government officials. I picked the local everyday folk hospital as I was told it was closer to the arena. I’m obviously not a big fan of the medical industrial complex in the US as it is profit driven however, the experience at this hospital did make me appreciate the comfort of health care in this country. Upon arrival there were ER staff smoking in the lobby. The hallways were full of wandering patients that looked like they were just out of a civil war battle. I had to fight with one of the doctors to avoid having my skull x-rayed. Eventually I got an x-ray for my leg which showed it was broken (something I already knew) and had it casted. I got 16 stitches on the inside and outside of my lip with a material that could of passed for chicken wire. It was so sharp it was making my gums bleed so I took them out myself. Saying that, the doctors were very kind and despite the inadequate medical equipment/supplies they knew what they were doing.

iMcSUZfnkwFAQ.jpg

ibsTVhFPXrCVNC.jpg

parasight

So apparently Chael says he's not fighting Munoz next. Says he will be watching this Saturday's fight closely. Bisping/Sonnen would be one helluva war of words. Works to promote the sports entertainment angle, if it happens on the Fox card.

ShaneB

So apparently Chael says he's not fighting Munoz next. Says he will be watching this Saturday's fight closely. Bisping/Sonnen would be one helluva war of words. Works to promote the sports entertainment angle, if it happens on the Fox card.

God damn the lead up to Bisping vs Sonnen would be awesome.

Top Bottom