• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Console Disc Drives

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have a PS5 standard edition and I've had it since launch. I'm all digital on game purchases so I just preordered whichever model I could get my hands on at the time. Today however I decided to put a disc in the console for the first time (4K blu ray) just to try it out and the disc drive is so loud! My PS5 is on the desk with my monitor and it's louder than the movie I was trying to watch. What good is having 4K BD playback if the disc drive is so noisy? I briefly tried out a PS4 a few years ago and the disc drive in that sounded like a chainsaw reading a game disc.

My ps3 by comparison is very quiet whether playing a game or movie. Why are modern console disc drives so loud and how is everyone ok with it? Do you guys just not use your consoles for watching movies anymore? or does nobody care since playing games digitally is so popular?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
4K BRs have a high bitrate, thus the disk has to spin very fast to provide a smooth video stream.
A "normal" BR should spin at a lower speed.

When installing games it also spins fast to transfer data faster, thus it's loud.

If the console is directly on a wooden or metal desk, try putting a softer material underneath, like a mousepad, vibrations should propagate less easily to the desk.

Also, digital or not, modern consoles play from the HDD/SSD since PS4 and Xbox One as BR is too slow to stream game data, it only uses disks as a licence-check when starting a game, so it's not spinning when playing (unless it periodically checks on some consoles).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You literally hear the disc drive speed up when you first pop in a disc and it goes silent.
There is either something wrong with your PS5 unit or maybe it's noisy because it's in shock of being used.
Also vibrations, you could just be hearing that because the surface is not absorbing the vibration.
Either put something under it or move it until it's stable with no movement.

My disc drive is not loud at all. Only when spinning up the disc. Plus I use 7.1 surround sound.

But yes it does get loud for a moment and then goes silent.

Celcius

°Temp. member
You literally hear the disc drive speed up when you first pop in a disc and it goes silent.
There is either something wrong with your PS5 unit or maybe it's noisy because it's in shock of being used.
Also vibrations, you could just be hearing that because the surface is not absorbing the vibration.
Either put something under it or move it until it's stable with no movement.
That would be for games where it does an initial license check and then plays the game off the ssd/hdd so the disc drive isn't used. I think my system is normal based on what I'm seeing online though.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the disc drive in ps5 speed is about 33MB/s, so you have to spin fast for 4k movies.
It's stupid we don't see any development on drives front. It's all kinda legacy mechanisms.
I am ok going to other physical format... and rebuy all my games I guess but I won't let physical go away

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

disc ? what year is it ??

full digital baby, at least one year without booting nothing from the disc driver, dont even know if it works anymore :messenger_tears_of_joy:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Strange that all these years later we still have the same optical form factor for cheap storage, you would think something new, inexpensive, and much faster would exist by now.

cireza

179343--sega-mega-cd-ii.png

This. Was pure magic. No noise at all, Redbook Audio, unlimited content in my games. CD was the future back then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom