• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

skit_data

The revision actually looks like a good size reduction, at least in terms of depth and width.

I mean everyone called the PS4 "Slim" and its less of a size reduction relative the launch/first revisions compared to this. I remember thinking "how is this a slim? It's practically the same" the first time I saw a PS4 Slim.
1vRwI0E.jpg

Also good to remember PS themselves never call these models "Slim" anyway.

Last edited:

RCU005

This doesn't make sense at all. I assume many people have touched on this, but why on earth would they price the Digital Edition $450 and the Disc drive $80? It's an obvious non-brainer to get the Disc PS5.

Also, wasn't the separate disc drive meant to have just one SKU?

I believe everybody expected the Digital to become the main SKU at $399, and have the separate disc drive at $99. Prices would stay the same, but with a perception of cheaper.

But Sony is screwing everything up this gen. IMO, this gen will be defined as greed for Sony. It has been about price hikes for everything, and they are doing them in their worst generation when it comes to games. If this happened with the PS4, many people wouldn't have cared as much, because we were being spoiled by so many games from SIE and third party. This gen? Only cross gen and third party. SIE has been pretty lackluster this gen in general (with very few exceptions).

This doesn't make sense at all. I assume many people have touched on this, but why on earth would they price the Digital Edition $450 and the Disc drive $80? It's an obvious non-brainer to get the Disc PS5.

I believe everybody expected the Digital to become the main SKU at $399, and have the separate disc drive at $99. Prices would stay the same, but with a perception of cheaper.

But Sony is screwing everything up this gen. IMO, this gen will be defined as greed for Sony. It has been about price hikes for everything, and they are doing them in their worst generation when it comes to games. If this happened with the PS4, many people wouldn't have cared as much, because we were being spoiled by so many games from SIE and third party. This gen? Only cross gen and third party. SIE has been pretty lackluster this gen in general (with very few exceptions).
They make more money if somebody decides to buy a disc drive afterwards.

Also I never believed in the single SKU. It was always that they now manufacture 1 single main product and simply attach drives to them and throw them in a different box versus manufacturing two entirely separate consoles.

Slim consoles were always meant for newcomers to the platform. Back in the day the PHAT models were maybe louder, maybe dealt with bad lasers, etc but the current model is as good as it gets. Have absolutely zero reason to have a slim.

Eotheod

So it seems EB Games, JB Hi-Fi and assumedly other Australian retailers have stopped selling/delisted the digital console. JB has one bundle available, alongside EB offering pre-owned versions, but other than that there is no actual brand-new digital console purchase possible. What a strange situation.

Astray

Gold Member
My og PS5 fits well in my tv cabinet, but it was a pain to find a good cabinet that would fit it. Ultimately had to go with a custom Ikea Besta design.

This looks like a solved problem now esp if you go digital.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is surprisingly much smaller than the original, didn't think that was really possible. The question is, will that come at the expense of cooling (i.e. will it be louder)?

It's ugly though, I really don't like the split side covers at all.

T-Cake

That's an interesting point that John from DF makes about the new PS5 storage. What if it is the same as in the PS3+PS4 whereby there is no onboard drive (soldered SSD for PS5) anymore and Sony are using an M.2 drive as the main device? So when you decide to upgrade your PS5 Slim storage, you take out the 1TB M.2 drive that is already there and put in up to 8TB. So now it replaces rather than adds... I don't think anyone mentioned that here yet.

And the fact that on current models, the M.2 drive performs just as well or even better than onboard storage meaning all that waffle about channels and priority queues are all now redundant.

Last edited:
That's an interesting point that John from DF makes about the new PS5 storage. What if it is the same as in the PS3+PS4 whereby there is no onboard drive (soldered SSD for PS5) anymore and Sony are using an M.2 drive as the main device? So when you decide to upgrade your PS5 Slim storage, you take out the 1TB M.2 drive that is already there and put in up to 8TB. So now it replaces rather than adds... I don't think anyone mentioned that here yet.

And the fact that on current models, the M.2 drive performs just as well or even better than onboard storage meaning all that waffle about channels and priority queues are all now redundant.

RCU005

They make more money if somebody decides to buy a disc drive afterwards.

Well yes, but how many people are going to buy without any consideration of the price to not know they will get ripped off afterwards?

If you want a digital, but might might want a disc drive later, it's better to buy the disc PS5 and store the disc drive.

There is no way right now, to make the Digital+DiscDrive NOT a dumb purchase.

Gambit2483

Okay, cool story.

Still, though, stop. This nonsense you have been doing throughout this thread is old at this point. We have heard you. At this point, it's just derailing.

It takes a different breed of troll to act like they have never seen a mid-gen refresh before, or like they lack a basic rudimentary understanding of economics. Or even worse, like they have been living under a rock since Aug 2022... yes, that's how long there had been an official price increase. You know... the very thing you are acting like this is the first time it is happening.
My opinion isn't trolling...that said I'm sorry my opinion on the subject is bothering you so much. I'll let stop and let you enjoy the awesome new PS5 slim.

SenkiDala

I realize this thread is full of Sony diehards that jump on anyone calling on thier bs, yes.
Which BS ? You're talking bs. This is the first pointless revision ? More expensive in what ? It is the same price in Europe for both model, just the digital model price rise in US but classic model remains the same. And "no gain in power", are you new in gaming ? It is ok we've all started somewhere but the PS1 "slim" didn't have gain in power, same goes with PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PS4 slim... Well, it has been like this forever ? The only version that offer a gain in power is the Pro version and it just happened on the PS4 but never before, so we're just waiting for the PS5 Pro.

YukiOnna

Man, is the future really stripping a product down to its basic as much as possible and charging for "premium" peripherals? It is tiring enough that Apple and to some extent Nintendo do it.

simpatico

Microsoft went out of their way to fumble the first half of this gen. Sony was content to do the usual "alternating gens" thing that started with PS2, but MS just coughed it up.

Mr.Phoenix

My opinion isn't trolling...that said I'm sorry my opinion on the subject is bothering you so much. I'll let stop and let you enjoy the awesome new PS5 slim.
Its that you are saying stuff that just makes no sense or that isn't based on any thing factual in an attempt to throw shade.

But whats worse,its that you are repeating yourself in the same thread.... we have heard you already.

Anyways..thanks. Every time I look at that sweet sexy PS5 Slim I will think of your gracious gesture now.

To give people a reason to buy the existing DE... And they decided that losing less on the console sale was better than the lock in.

Mr.Phoenix

Yup, the ploy is to push people towards getting the version with the ODD bundled in. Its classic upselling.
Its just one. Well, as far as manufacturing is concerned. Its just packaged as two.
Prices has been going up since August last year. Obviously, between COVID and inflation... a lot changed this gen. Even MS increased console prices.
Tell that to the people who are still buying the PS5 at a rate faster than the PS4 was selling. If MS, who is losing the hardware battle, can somehow justify increasing console prices, its sorta hard making a case for sony not doing similar.

This is a strange gen though.

Brucey

Yup, the ploy is to push people towards getting the version with the ODD bundled in. Its classic upselling.

Its just one. Well, as far as manufacturing is concerned. Its just packaged as two.

Prices has been going up since August last year. Obviously, between COVID and inflation... a lot changed this gen. Even MS increased console prices.

Tell that to the people who are still buying the PS5 at a rate faster than the PS4 was selling. If MS, who is losing the hardware battle, can somehow justify increasing console prices, its sorta hard making a case for sony not doing similar.

This is a strange gen though.
I think what we are seeing is that Sony no longer considers xbox series to be a threat. So they can increase the pricing delta from series s to PS5 digital without a sales impact. Personally I think the pricing is good in terms of supporting the disk drive model, Sony seems to be embracing physical media as a counterpoint to the leaked 2024 series x with no disk drive, if that happens to eventuate.

Mr.Phoenix

I think what we are seeing is that Sony no longer considers xbox series to be a threat. So they can increase the pricing delta from series s to PS5 digital without a sales impact. Personally I think the pricing is good in terms of supporting the disk drive model, Sony seems to be embracing physical media as a counterpoint to the leaked 2024 series x with no disk drive, if that happens to eventuate.
I don't know how much Xbox has to do with its pricing, being that even the Xbox has been increasing its prices in the last couple of months too. There has to be something going on that we aren't privy to.

And contrary to what people are saying about the price hike, I think their pricing makes sense. And I can see how they got to that $450. The new PS5 is literally a bridge product. If you bought the old digital console, you are locked to digital forever. The same applies to the physical variant. They basically made something that sits in between the two, so in a way it makes sense that its price refects that. Being in between $399 and $499.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't know how much Xbox has to do with its pricing, being that even the Xbox has been increasing its prices in the last couple of months too. There has to be something going on that we aren't privy to.

And contrary to what people are saying about the price hike, I think their pricing makes sense. And I can see how they got to that $450. The new PS5 is literally a bridge product. If you bought the old digital console, you are locked to digital forever. The same applies to the physical variant. They basically made something that sits in between the two, so in a way it makes sense that its price refects that. Being in between $399 and $499.

Simple economics, reduce manufacturing on the new disk model vs the old one...increase manufacturing on the digital version and make that the production SKU. Customers are forced at a heavy gifting period to buy a digital. Then don't manufacture enough disk drives, force people into digital...win! And make more profit.

January February time apologise for not having enough stock on the disk version and you have a very profitable Q4 2023.

I doubt they will do this, but it's one shit way of handling it for consumers but a winning business strategy if you are a hit selling product.

I explained it in very rudimentary terms but it gets the point across.

Mr.Phoenix

Simple economics, reduce manufacturing on the new disk model vs the old one...increase manufacturing on the digital version and make that the production SKU. Customers are forced at a heavy gifting period to buy a digital. Then don't manufacture enough disk drives, force people into digital...win! And make more profit.

January February time apologise for not having enough stock on the disk version and you have a very profitable Q4 2023.

I doubt they will do this, but it's one shit way of handling it for consumers but a winning business strategy if you are a hit selling product.

I explained it in very rudimentary terms but it gets the point across.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I believe it's their intention to not even have that $499 PS5 + ODD bundle. But that's done at the launch of the new model mostly for optics.

Hence, I expect that the ODD would be in unsurprisingly short supply, and there would be a very very very limited number of the $499 PS5+ODD bundle (I call it a bundle cause I believe that is what it is). I would be surprised if more than 5M PS5+ODD bundles are shipped for the remainder of the PS5's lifespan.

The best way to force the transition to digital is to give consumers the illusion of a choice. I can see the PS5pro being compatible with the ODD attachment too, and the PS6 launching with an ODD attachment option from day 1.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

PC with a 4090 and G sync it is then. Do it. I did and never looked back!
And let's not forget that PCs even invented the stick prop thingy, been wanting to get one but my case doesn't support such powerful accessories.

Stic prop of absolute power. Oh, and made of metal too.

T-Cake

And let's not forget that PCs even invented the stick prop thingy, been wanting to get one but my case doesn't support such powerful accessories.

Stic prop of absolute power. Oh, and made of metal too.

You do know that stick prop contains an extra GPU? It's the Pro part of the PS5.

T-Cake

It seems in the UK that the basic PS5 digital is gone already. I can't find anywhere with it in stock. It feels like 2021 all over again. The new model needs to hurry up.

Brucey

Couldn't have said it better myself. I believe it's their intention to not even have that $499 PS5 + ODD bundle. But that's done at the launch of the new model mostly for optics.

Hence, I expect that the ODD would be in unsurprisingly short supply, and there would be a very very very limited number of the $499 PS5+ODD bundle (I call it a bundle cause I believe that is what it is). I would be surprised if more than 5M PS5+ODD bundles are shipped for the remainder of the PS5's lifespan.

The best way to force the transition to digital is to give consumers the illusion of a choice. I can see the PS5pro being compatible with the ODD attachment too, and the PS6 launching with an ODD attachment option from day 1.
Pretty sure the disk drive bundle will still be the vast majority of shipments, they'll prob easily sell 5 million units of those this holiday quarter.

Mr.Phoenix

Pretty sure the disk drive bundle will still be the vast majority of shipments, they'll prob easily sell 5 million units of those this holiday quarter.
i am willing to bet it wouldn't.

Think about it.

They have a stand-alone version for $450. Then they have the ODD for $80. The PS5 + ODD bundle is literally that. A bundle, like bundling a $450 console with a $70 game and selling it for $500 (discounted price). Those things NEVER last forever.

In every way you can imagine, it's in sonys best interest that the majority of their sales are for the PS5 digital as is. Be it that that means you are shuttled into buying from the PS store exclusively (they make more money), or that you are going to buy an ODD attachment (they make more money off you at the time of purchase again).

But more importantly,its that hey now, if someone buys the standalone PS5 digital, there is a very slim chance that person would ever go out and buy the ODD attachment down the road, which is exactly what they want. But this way,no one can accuse them of not having a disc drive cause they argument would always be,`well if you want an ODD you can just buy it`.

So I believe they will artifically me this happen. Sometime next year, when they have exhausted stock of the OG PS5 consoles, I expect we start seeing very few PS5 + ODD units in the wild. I eve expect we will be seeing ODD `sales` dropping its price temporally to $70/$60 and in some cases, even $50. Bu that PS5 + ODD bundle, will be in very limited supply.

Brucey

I would say they priced the disk drive at $80 to incentivise people to go with the $499 "bundle". Versus paying $30 extra to add the drive afterwards.

Sony who still very much understand there's plenty of demand for physical games and consoles that play them.

Famipan

I’m wondering whether I can safely lift up the PS5 slim without the upper shells coming off.

I regularly lift my digital PS5 standing vertical behind my tv whenever I want to disconnect and store it temporarily, and it would be nice with a lower weight although I got used to the excercise.

Robb

Gold Member
Looks like a decent reduction. Too bad they kept the atrocious design..

I’ll try to hold off for the ‘Pro’ and keep hoping they’ll get it together at that point. Although I’m not sure I’ll be able to with Spider-Man 2 looking as good as it does…

I have absolutely no faith that Sony will actually produce as many disc models to satisfy demand. I expect a minimum 5:1 ratio of digital to disc units, so $560 for the complete unit with a vertical stand, on a machine designed to cut costs on a product they were already turning a profit on.

This is a price hike disguised as a refresh.

Where's the release date and preorders?

Bizarre way to announce it. Blogpost, no release date, no ordering info.

Nov. 10 in the US

Probably they want to sell out the original stock first.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom