• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Vintage Gamer: How the N64 Rumble Pak changed everything

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A deep dive into the Nintendo 64 Rumble Pak - an addon device that added force feedback vibration to the player. in 1997 this was the very first rumble device introduced into video games. In today's episode we look closely at the Rumble Pak and even build a homebrew application to test its features. Please Enjoy!

TimeStamps:

00:00 - 01:17 - Introduction
01:18 - 02:57 - How the Rumble Works
02:58 - 04:43 - Teardown and technical deep dive
04:44 - 08:30 - My Homebrew N64 Rumble Program
08:31 - 10:35 - Conclusion
10:36 - 10:55 - Outtro

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I remember as a kid, I'd constantly watch that N64 Rumble Pak cassette tape. I truly thought it was gonna shake the fuck out of my hands and arms... Turns out it was merely just vibrations. Weak.....

nordique

Always preferred Sony's implementation with the Dualshock, didn't require any additional batteries or having to swap between the rumble and the controller pak's (N64 memory card)
True but it came out years later from the og ps controller. Sony needed to get analog in 3D games and did a good job of implementing it but Nintendo’s approach from launch didn’t require a whole new controller

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Talking about them good vibrations.

Happy Good Vibes GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

Last edited:

Holammer

Just a friendly reminder that the OG PlayStation released rumble in their controllers in Japan two days prior to the release of the Nintendo64 Rumble Pak.
MS released a joystick with rumble the same year. Getting rumble in a small controller was more of an engineering challenge than innovation.
Arcades had force feedback from day one, in the 70's. Outrun and Afterburner are especially memorable to me.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
True but it came out years later from the og ps controller. Sony needed to get analog in 3D games and did a good job of implementing it but Nintendo’s approach from launch didn’t require a whole new controller

See my previous post (right above yours). Sony launched the analogue controller in Japan with rumble capability. In fact, the rest of the analogue controllers worldwide were identical to the Japanese controllers. You could actually order the motor and install it in the analogue controllers because they included the circuitry and motor mounts. Sony just decided to relaunch as DualShock later on, but the controllers with the capabilities were always there, and the rumble feature was default in Japan.

Saber

Gold Member
Would be cool if this thing could be placed in another place rather than your controller. Damn, I couldn't remember a single time I like this stupid idea of keep removing over and over because you have to put the memory and then switch to the rumble. Transfer pack was an absolute nightmare, me and my brother would need to leave the controller alone on a table or something so the game wouldn't disconnected. Ergh...

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder that the OG PlayStation released rumble in their controllers in Japan two days prior to the release of the Nintendo64 Rumble Pak.
did the ps1 even have a game that supported rumble when the controller was released?

i cant seem to find that info.
my guess is the n64 had games with rumble support before the ps1.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
did the ps1 even have a game that supported rumble when the controller was released?

i cant seem to find that info.
my guess is the n64 had games with rumble support before the ps1.

They did have a game that supported the rumble feature on launch day April 25, 1997. Tobal 2 had rumble support day one. So Sony was the first one to release rumble feature in the controller, and the first to have a game released that supported the rumble feature.

Number Of Players 1-2 Players
Number Of Memory Card Blocks 1 Block
Compatible Controllers Tested
( Official Gamepads Only )
Standard Controller / Analog Controller ( Dual Shock Controller compatible )
Compatible Light Guns
( Official Light Guns Only )
None
Other Compatible Controllers
( Official Controllers Only )
None
Special Controllers Included Or
Supported ( Official Only )
None
Vibration Function Compatible Yes
Multi-Tap Function Compatible No
Link Cable Function Compatibile No

Last edited:

calistan

They did have a game that supported the rumble feature on launch day April 25, 1997. Tobal 2 had rumble support day one. So Sony was the first one to release rumble feature in the controller, and the first to have a game released that supported the rumble feature.
Nintendo had already announced the thing to the public about a year earlier, and games must have been in development for longer than that.

thanks.

but that game only sold 300k copies, vs star fox 64's 4 million, so thats probably why everyone thinks nintendo was the first.
plus nintendo marketed the rumble feature pretty heavily, both before and after the rumble pack's release, so they got all the mind-share.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
thanks.

but that game only sold 300k copies, vs star fox 64's 4 million, so thats probably why everyone thinks nintendo was the first.
plus nintendo marketed the rumble feature pretty heavily, both before and after the rumble pack's release, so they got all the mind-share.

Agreed. I just like shaking people's entire belief system by throwing in this little-known factoid. As you can probably imagine, I get a LOT of pushback. There are a lot of people don't want this to be true even though the authenticity of the claim doesn't make a difference in any way.

nordique

See my previous post (right above yours). Sony launched the analogue controller in Japan with rumble capability. In fact, the rest of the analogue controllers worldwide were identical to the Japanese controllers. You could actually order the motor and install it in the analogue controllers because they included the circuitry and motor mounts. Sony just decided to relaunch as DualShock later on, but the controllers with the capabilities were always there, and the rumble feature was default in Japan.

Ah gotcha. Interesting tidbit!

Didn’t know that about the analog controller

They came out around same time too (in Japan - ps first as you noted)

Always thought it lacked* rumble. Didn’t know it had it in.

Last edited:
I recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my N64. I remembered that it used rumble for something, so I picked up a used rumble pak. It's actually a significant feature! The rumble really feels nice and strong. As a bonus, it seems to be supported in some of my other games. It's well worth the money.

nkarafo

And yet it was Starfox 64 that got all the hype and attention for the rumble feature. Nobody cared about Tobal and it's rumble implementation.

Being the first who released something on the market doesn't say much. Especially if it's just a few days difference. What matters is who demonstrated/developed it first. Nintendo showed a lot of N64 stuff in gaming events and magazines before Sony or Sega but most were delayed in the shops. Even the console itself was delayed but the analog controller was finalized and working at least a year before it was released.

This is why Nintendo kept the Wiimore a secret for as much as they could, so that the others won't copy their idea early on. And it worked. They showed the tech very late and that's why Sony took so long to copy it.

The Wikis say Sega had some motorcycle arcade game in 1976 that would shake your handlebars. And analog sticks were around forever. So, yeah these things got small enough and fit into controllers at some point... but claiming they 'changed everything' is just embarrassing. "Muh immersion" from a gamepad while beached like a whale on one's sofa always seems like performative memery to me.

nkarafo

The Wikis say Sega had some motorcycle arcade game in 1976 that would shake your handlebars. And analog sticks were around forever. So, yeah these things got small enough and fit into controllers at some point... but claiming they 'changed everything' is just embarrassing. "Muh immersion" from a gamepad while beached like a whale on one's sofa always seems like performative memery to me.
Nobody said Nintendo created the force feedback technology, but they were the first who made it a feature on a controller for consoles.

As for the analog stick, again they didn't create the analog controls technology but they were the first who made the analog "thumbstick" a standard thanks to it's implementation with games like Mario 64.

phaedrus

Yup. Took some photos of my Dual Analog controller for sharing:

dbSoAsM.jpg

It's visibly larger than the OG digital gamepad and the Dualshock 1. And it's got identical pair of vibration motors, so the range of rumble effects were not as varied as the DS1's "sharp" & "dull" vibration motors (don't how else to describe them).
As you mentioned Tobal 2 was the first to support the Dual Analog, and also Ace Combat 2 which come out a month later.

Going back to the size, it's actually very close to the DS4 & DS5, so maybe Cerny took some inspiration from it:

QxA9dXa.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody said Nintendo created the force feedback technology, but they were the first who made it a feature on a controller for consoles.

As for the analog stick, again they didn't create the analog controls technology but they were the first who made the analog "thumbstick" a standard thanks to it's implementation with games like Mario 64.
Sorry, but a console that sold only 33M didn't make anything standard. Especially when you consider NO ONE adopted the controller tech or layout of the N64.

Now, a console that sold 100M+, introduced dual potentiometer based analog sticks and integrated rumble, tech still in use today, definitely did make these things standard.

IAmRei

and who found L R d-pad and face button?
Sorry, but a console that sold only 33M didn't make anything standard. Especially when you consider NO ONE adopted the controller tech or layout of the N64.

Now, a console that sold 100M+, introduced dual potentiometer based analog sticks and integrated rumble, tech still in use today, definitely did make these things standard.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
And yet it was Starfox 64 that got all the hype and attention for the rumble feature. Nobody cared about Tobal and it's rumble implementation.

Being the first who released something on the market doesn't say much. Especially if it's just a few days difference. What matters is who demonstrated/developed it first. Nintendo showed a lot of N64 stuff in gaming events and magazines before Sony or Sega but most were delayed in the shops. Even the console itself was delayed but the analog controller was finalized and working at least a year before it was released.

This is why Nintendo kept the Wiimore a secret for as much as they could, so that the others won't copy their idea early on. And it worked. They showed the tech very late and that's why Sony took so long to copy it.

People remember Nintendo 64's rumble because it was released to a wider audience. That doesn't make it better. Sony's rumble didn't require AAA batteries, and it had two different motors with different strengths making it a much better feel than Nintendo 64's rumble. Sony's version of rumble is the one that lasted. It was implemented first, and it was implemented better. Sorry 'boutcha.

They were the second, not the first. Again, Sony released their version two days ahead of them. This is a fact. It doesn't matter who began development first, and nobody even knows when Sony began development for rumble. It is possible they began development before Nintendo. Regardless, you can't admit that Sony released it first in one post, and then continue spreading misinformation about Nintendo being first in another post. That is disingenuous at best.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

A version of the Wiimote, or at least a motion sensor built into a controller almost made it into the N64...at least according to a Silicon Graphics guy I talked to around that time....he could also have been spouting shite, so who knows (or cares).

nkarafo

They were the second, not the first. Again, Sony released their version two days ahead of them. This is a fact. It doesn't matter who began development first, and nobody even knows when Sony began development for rumble. It is possible they began development before Nintendo. Regardless, you can't admit that Sony released it first in one post, and then continue spreading misinformation about Nintendo being first in another post. That is disingenuous at best.
Neither of us can prove who started developing them first because neither of us worked in these companies and we are not agents in corporate espionage. What we do know though is who revealed their designs first. We know who were the first who demonstrated them in magazines and game conventions. And who were were the ones hyping them long before they were released, especially the controller itself with the analog stick and it's ability to connect devices. These facts can be easily proved.

But you give all the credit to Sony (or more like trying to discredit Nintendo for some reason) for releasing their rumble two days earlier? Really? Just two days? How is this not disingenuous? I don't care about these companies man, but in 1995/96 i was there, reading every game magazines from UK/US i could get each month and looking for any news online. And i have to give credit where it's due.

People remember Nintendo 64's rumble because it was released to a wider audience. That doesn't make it better. Sony's rumble didn't require AAA batteries, and it had two different motors with different strengths making it a much better feel than Nintendo 64's rumble. Sony's version of rumble is the one that lasted. It was implemented first, and it was implemented better. Sorry 'boutcha.
Never said it was better. Not sure why you move the goal posts there.

Ah by this Logic, Sony was the first to do a Wiimote style motion controller since the prototype was shown off for the Move in 2000.
And by this logic Nintendo had the powerglove in 1989.

Last edited:

nkarafo

The console that sold 33M also had at least 33M controllers with the analog stick as the standard.

How many dual analog controllers did Sony sell during the PS1 days? Pretty sure the dual analog was not the standard controller before the PS2, was it?

Last edited:

Bond007

N64 rumble was my first exposure and a huge "plus" at the time in the console wars as I recall. I personally loved it.
Was ecstatic once Playstation finally got it- i believe around the time Metal Gear came out.

Unknown?

The console that sold 33M also had at least 33M controllers with the analog stick as the standard.

How many dual analog controllers did Sony sell during the PS1 days? Pretty sure the dual analog was not the standard controller before the PS2, was it?
It was standard pack in after it released. I'm not sure by when, maybe in 1998? PS One certainly had it packed in when it was $99 though.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yup. Took some photos of my Dual Analog controller for sharing:

dbSoAsM.jpg

It's visibly larger than the OG digital gamepad and the Dualshock 1. And it's got identical pair of vibration motors, so the range of rumble effects were not as varied as the DS1's "sharp" & "dull" vibration motors (don't how else to describe them).
As you mentioned Tobal 2 was the first to support the Dual Analog, and also Ace Combat 2 which come out a month later.
I bought that dual analog controller. The western version didn’t have the rumble feature.
So you may argue that Sony launched first, but Nintendo was first with rumble in the west before Sony made the Dual Shock.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Neither of us can prove who started developing them first because neither of us worked in these companies and we are not agents in corporate espionage. What we do know though is who revealed their designs first. We know who were the first who demonstrated them in magazines and game conventions. And who were were the ones hyping them long before they were released, especially the controller itself with the analog stick and it's ability to connect devices. These facts can be easily proved.

But you give all the credit to Sony (or more like trying to discredit Nintendo for some reason) for releasing their rumble two days earlier? Really? Just two days? How is this not disingenuous? I don't care about these companies man, but in 1995/96 i was there, reading every game magazines from UK/US i could get each month and looking for any news online. And i have to give credit where it's due.

Never said it was better. Not sure why you move the goal posts there.

And by this logic Nintendo had the powerglove in 1989.

The only one moving goal posts here is you. You keep saying Nintendo was the first to release rumble. This has been debunked. Then after you make this false claim, you somehow shift the goal post to say that since Nintendo announced rumble first, that's the same as releasing it first. But then when Unknown? Unknown? shows that this would credit Sony with the Wiimote, you imply that this logic is ridiculous. You don't know what your argument is, so you should probably stop arguing.

nkarafo

It was standard pack in after it released. I'm not sure by when, maybe in 1998? PS One certainly had it packed in when it was $99 though.
My point was that the "100M made more impact VS 33M" argument doesn't stand since the biggest portion of those 100M PS1 users didn't even have the dual analog controller/dual shock while all N64 users had one. Also, only a tiny portion of the PS1's library actually makes good use of the thing. So how could it do more impact?

The only one moving goal posts here is you. You keep saying Nintendo was the first to release rumble. This has been debunked. Then after you make this false claim, you somehow shift the goal post to say that since Nintendo announced rumble first, that's the same as releasing it first. But then when Unknown? Unknown? shows that this would credit Sony with the Wiimote, you imply that this logic is ridiculous. You don't know what your argument is, so you should probably stop arguing.

Maybe you should stop arguing until you can read better or stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Nintendo "released" it first. You are the one who is using that word all the time, i argued they revealed/showed it in magazines and shows from my first reply here.

Also the poster's argument about the wiimote didn't work so... i just argued against it. It's pretty simple.

Unknown?

My point was that the "100M made more impact VS 33M" argument doesn't stand since the biggest portion of those 100M PS1 users didn't even have the dual analog controller/dual shock while all N64 users had one. Also, only a tiny portion of the PS1's library actually makes good use of the thing. So how could it do more impact?

Maybe you should stop arguing until you can read better or stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Nintendo "released" it first. You are the one who is using that word all the time, i argued they revealed/showed it in magazines and shows from my first reply here.

Also the poster's argument about the wiimote didn't work so... i just argued against it. It's pretty simple.
My point was that it probably still sold more than N64 due to how it was packed in when it was so cheap. There were probably more PS1s sold with them packed in than N64s sold. Would be interesting to look into.

But you are forgetting all those PS1s sold before it launched could easily go out and purchase a Dualshock and as for the games that supported it, tons did once it released.

Top Bottom