• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare Will Show You Your Kill-Death Ratio For $20

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Modern Warfare finally offers players the ability to see their death count during matches, but what was once a staple Call of Duty feature now comes at a price.

In past Call of Duty games, the in-game scoreboard for a standard multiplayer mode like Team Deathmatch would show each player’s kills, deaths, and assists. At any point during a match, a player could hit a button to pop up a scoreboard and view their stats.

Unfortunately, deaths are not tracked on Modern Warfare’s scoreboard during most standard modes. The scoreboard only shows the kills and assists for each player. How many deaths each player has racked up is now a surprise saved for the final scoreboard that shows after the match has concluded.

The community has been very vocal about its dislike of the removal of such a simple and constant feature within Call of Duty’s multiplayer, but death counts remain absent from the in-match scoreboards of most modes.

ifam33b8vasovqorljia.jpg

That upset has grown now that the cosmetic store for December’s “Season One” content drop features a watch that tracks the player’s kills and deaths. The “Time to Die” watch is found within the “Mother Russia” bundle, which is a 10-piece cosmetic collection priced at 2000 COD Points, or $20.

There aren’t any stat-boosting DLC items in Modern Warfare, so this doesn’t give the owner of the watch any other gameplay advantages. But seeing one’s death count should be made available to all players, not just those willing to pay for it.

Paasei

Damn, I was once very competitive in these games with CoD2 and CoD4. Even then me personally didn't care at all about k/d, as it just doesn't matter in 5v5 ranked match. You win that match or you lose it.

Individually on public servers I would end up with the best scores regardless, because of all my time spent in those games, making me knowledgeable and good/better than anyone that didn't play on (LAN) tournaments.

20 dollars for a cosmetic item is very steep, though. Wouldn't surprise me at all if people are still pissed off. They should.

Kagey K

Banned
You can see your KDR at any time in between games, this is a watch that shows it to you mid match.

Maybe people should stop worrying about KDR, instead of winning the game. TDM is the only mode where KD matters, but everyone uses the other modes to pad KD stats.

It’s annoying and absurd.

TexMex

You can see your KDR at any time in between games, this is a watch that shows it to you mid match.

Maybe people should stop worrying about KDR, instead of winning the game. TDM is the only mode where KD matters, but everyone uses the other modes to pad KD stats.

It’s annoying and absurd.

thank you. I rarely use a mic these days, but playing domination and hearing people shit talk after a loss about k/d in objective based games is so irritating.

great job you went 20-1 camping the flags the rest of us were putting up for you. Impressive!

Kagey K

Banned
thank you. I rarely use a mic these days, but playing domination and hearing people shit talk after a loss about k/d in objective based games is so irritating.

great job you went 20-1 camping the flags the rest of us were putting up for you. Impressive!
Yeah if you play the objective you can expect to go -1000 but nobody is ever going to win if somebody doesn’t go for it.
I always play the decoy and run for that shit so everyone with snipers behind me can avenge my corpse.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Erm, I haven’t bought this add on, and I know for a fact at the end of a round my kd ratio comes up?

Edit: I see, mid match...? Well... why? How is that this important? It wasn’t long ago COD games gave you ping based on a bloody colour... so have a day off people.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Erm, I haven’t bought this add on, and I know for a fact at the end of a round my kd ratio comes up?
This is for in game so when you pull up the scoreboard you don’t just see kills and assists.

It’s really nothing that some people want to try to make a big deal.

Blond

Banned
Honestly I wish most shooters would get rid of it for objective based games. Since k/d ratio became so important everything might as well be deathmatch.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this is actually better for the game.
people might actually fucking start playing the missions instead of pew pew everyone they see.
also lol play cod MP
i do campaign maybe some bot crap and i am done for the year.

This years COD was really a lot of fun

Dumbest decision ever, not showing KD is one of my biggest gripes about this game, but then again this game was designed around camping.

Worst CoD MP ever? I'd say so. I was excited when they announced that they would be focused around fun rather than have the game be overly balanced, but then they took many steps back with the horrible maps and SBMM.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Who cares about seeing KDR during the match? Just check it after the match is over like, ya know, you would do in pretty much every other game?

I hope these morons do pay that $20 bc it’s a dumb premise to argue about.

Who cares about seeing KDR during the match? Just check it after the match is over like, ya know, you would do in pretty much every other game?

I hope these morons do pay that $20 bc it’s a dumb premise to argue about.
Lots of people care. The point is you can view it in every CoD game to date....until this one. They've removed something that has always been in the game and now want you to pay for it. What next? Pay to see your in game kills?

McCheese

If letting some people spend money on a silly watch means I can get new maps and modes without spending money, I'm okay with it.

You do get to see your K/D score at the end of each game, and you can see your overall K/D score in player stats - it's just not available on the in-game scoreboard, they removed from everyone to avoid toxicity, but in hindsight, they should probably just have removed the other players and shown you yours even mid-game. But I don't for one minute think they removed it just so they could sell you a watch.

But do people really need to know this half-way into a match? like, you don't know if your playing well or bad? If anything this will just encourage folks to turtle even more.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Lots of people care. The point is you can view it in every CoD game to date....until this one. They've removed something that has always been in the game and now want you to pay for it. What next? Pay to see your in game kills?

That was actually a thing?

Why though? I don’t get it. And why is it such a big deal that it stays in, it has little to no strategic value in how you play a match. If anything it distracts players in, especially in objective games. Maybe they felt it would make for better team work and higher quality experience. Just really seems a non issue. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t care about my terrible KD ratio to warrant even thinking about this, I guess it’s for people who are playing so they can decide to camp and hide to pretect their overall ratio if it’s looking a bit rough? Helps make play style changes mid match.

Why though? I don’t get it. And why is it such a big deal that it stays in, it has little to no strategic value in how you play a match. If anything it distracts players in, especially in objective games. Maybe they felt it would make for better team work and higher quality experience. Just really seems a non issue. 🤷‍♂️
People like to see how they're doing mid match. But again, it's the fact that they have taken something that has always been free and are now charging for it. It amazes me that actual gamers just say 'so what?' I guess it will only become an issue when they start charging for something for that you do care about. And I'm sure it'll happen.

Dumbest decision ever, not showing KD is one of my biggest gripes about this game, but then again this game was designed around camping.

Worst CoD MP ever? I'd say so. I was excited when they announced that they would be focused around fun rather than have the game be overly balanced, but then they took many steps back with the horrible maps and SBMM.
It's easily the worst CoD MP I've ever played. And I've played them all. I uninstalled it over a week ago and haven't gone back. I really regret buying it. I won't make the same mistake again, that's for sure.

Despera

Banned
Damn, I was once very competitive in these games with CoD2 and CoD4. Even then me personally didn't care at all about k/d, as it just doesn't matter in 5v5 ranked match. You win that match or you lose it.

Individually on public servers I would end up with the best scores regardless, because of all my time spent in those games, making me knowledgeable and good/better than anyone that didn't play on (LAN) tournaments.

20 dollars for a cosmetic item is very steep, though. Wouldn't surprise me at all if people are still pissed off. They should.
We lived and died by our k/d. It helps you clearly see how good of a player you are. No excuses.

Matt_Fox

For me, first-person gaming is at its purest and most immersive without a HUD. We're humans and we experience the world through HUDless eyes, and if you can replicate that within a game you have something special.

Every extra added to a HUD in a first-person game ought to really justify its existence. It should be an essential. Seeing post match analysis, in the middle of a game, is definitely not essential and really just a distraction when you ought to be 100% focused on the gameplay.

Personally I think anyone who wants this and pays for this should get their head checked.

We lived and died by our k/d. It helps you clearly see how good of a player you are. No excuses.
I don't agree with this.

I don't think stats are accurate measurements to how good of a player you are, I know that I'm better than a 1.5 KD player but I also use all guns and rush 90% of the time.

The reason why I want to see my KD in real time is to see how well I'm doing in a single match, I don't care about my averages (2 W/L 198 SPM) because they basically mean nothing, and it's the reason why SBMM is so baffling to me, you don't know if the players are as good as the stats say because they could just be struggling in the algorithm and you're actually playing against 2 KD players with 400 SPM in past games, for example.

People like to see how they're doing mid match. But again, it's the fact that they have taken something that has always been free and are now charging for it. It amazes me that actual gamers just say 'so what?' I guess it will only become an issue when they start charging for something for that you do care about. And I'm sure it'll happen.

People who defend this are the type to have an issue with P2W MTX, which is fair, but people need to be consistent. This is absolutely inexcusable.

It's easily the worst CoD MP I've ever played. And I've played them all. I uninstalled it over a week ago and haven't gone back. I really regret buying it. I won't make the same mistake again, that's for sure.

I bet you people are going to ask why we bought it... we were duped, end of, we saw a better product than we got. I expected GOOD asymmetrical maps with less SBMM or none at all, Treyarch just simply makes better CoD games. Period!

I don’t care about my terrible KD ratio to warrant even thinking about this, I guess it’s for people who are playing so they can decide to camp and hide to pretect their overall ratio if it’s looking a bit rough? Helps make play style changes mid match.

People like me feel more compelled to play more defensively without a KD counter.

No, they removed it because this game was tailored for campers and new players. Why are the objective players in this thread criticizing slaying so much? It's just as productive as the guy who's capping all of the flags, and they're more productive than the guys mindlessly trying to cap flags and get killed everytime, how does that help your teammates, especially when the opponents are just going to cap it again? Sometimes slayers just play objective game modes either for XP or for easy kills because the spawns are more likely to be broken. Look at Demolition in past CoD games, it was easy to spawn trap people back in MW2 and BO1 in that game mode because the spawning algorithm was too simple.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i agree with it.

people are too obsessed over K/D. it means nothing except to brag. if you are that dumb and stupid then i'm sure you'll think $20 is worth it. truth is that people will know you have more money than sense and just laugh at you instead of being impressed.

Max_Po

Banned
i agree with it.

people are too obsessed over K/D. it means nothing except to brag. if you are that dumb and stupid then i'm sure you'll think $20 is worth it. truth is that people will know you have more money than sense and just laugh at you instead of being impressed.

have you even played a COD ? thats's what its all about, douche bags laughing at others at the end of rounds with slurs and calling people bitches... etc....

Its a pick up and shoot game for anyone.

I have been playing cod since MS //2007 once a while... at the core it is for bragging and racial slurs... which is the core of the experience.

Ingeniero

I don't thik I would pay $20 for this but sounds interesting...

I would definetely pay for this stat in CS:GO tho, I'll love to know this ratio after 600 hrs of play.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm so tired of people obsessed by k/d ratio instead of playing as a team. I'm not a good player, but I wanted to try to see how hard it is to be a lone wolf for k/d's sake, and it wasn't that hard actually.

CaFXA2N.png

I could do this in every game, but I don't really see the appeal. When most of the game turns to camping with sniper rifles and shotguns, very few people are having a good time so-to-speak, so I'm glad the developers are somewhat testing (if that's what they are doing) ways to turn it around.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
K/D is a key stat gamers look for but I do think that's a very high price for showing what is basically in-game data.

Here's Call of Duty 4's in-game stat screen
133DE532916720EE0E4706C4F06072B3B3390AC7

What IW did with COD4 was perfect.

Mega_Deth

Glad I sold the game and only lost $5 on it. This is a pretty low cash grab but at least they have kept their promise that only cosmetic items and skins will be locked behind a paywall, any new guns can be earned and new maps are free. I sold the game because the maps were absolutely terrible and most games ended up going down to the timer due to how the game encouraged camping.

Gotta make it up since they giving out free maps instead of charging you $15 per pack lol. Now pay $20 to see this shit? Classy Activi$ion

Mega_Deth

Gotta make it up since they giving out free maps instead of charging you $15 per pack lol. Now pay $20 to see this shit? Classy Activi$ion

I agree with you there. I can appreciate them keeping their word(for now at least) of having free maps and only having cosmetic items locked behind a paywall. I am curious as to how the Youtube shills who have been very safe in their critique of the game will react to this overpriced cashgrab though :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The game shipped with, what, 6 TDM maps, 5 of which are total garbage? They'd better be providing free maps given how few they included.

Mega_Deth

The game shipped with, what, 6 TDM maps, 5 of which are total garbage? They'd better be providing free maps given how few they included.

5 were terrible, one was below average(Gunrunner was alright). Infinity Ward don't seem to know how to make good maps anymore. Infinite Warfare and Ghosts both had terrible map design compared to Sledgehammer and Treyarch's clean lane maps.

5 were terrible, one was below average(Gunrunner was alright). Infinity Ward don't seem to know how to make good maps anymore. Infinite Warfare and Ghosts both had terrible map design compared to Sledgehammer and Treyarch's clean lane maps.
I think they intentionally designed the maps in this to be as chaotic as possible, to give new players the best possible chance to get kills. So many windows, so many lines of sight, so many doors, and so many safe spaces for people to camp. I don't believe they wanted flow.

Handel

KDA is a cancer upon all multiplayer games, not just shooters. The amount of pussy ass players in LoL who play for their KDA over the win is annoying as fuck. I think it is healthier for a game to not include it in-game, but I also don't think a healthier mindset was their intention here. This was a scummy money move.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I saw an article on this a few days ago and hardly any big lash out has come of it. Its sad how acceptable shit like this has become compared to the Ps3/360 days.

Soon we'll see the new trend they come up with for next gen.

Caffeine

u can find the game for around 40 bucks here and there its pretty crazy a piece of ingame dlc is half the price of the game on a deal.

i agree with it.

I don't want to impress anybody with KD, it's a fair measurement of your real time performance for each lobby, getting rid of it is what's stupid.

Despera

Banned
I don't agree with this.

I don't think stats are accurate measurements to how good of a player you are, I know that I'm better than a 1.5 KD player but I also use all guns and rush 90% of the time.

The reason why I want to see my KD in real time is to see how well I'm doing in a single match, I don't care about my averages (2 W/L 198 SPM) because they basically mean nothing, and it's the reason why SBMM is so baffling to me, you don't know if the players are as good as the stats say because they could just be struggling in the algorithm and you're actually playing against 2 KD players with 400 SPM in past games, for example.

People who defend this are the type to have an issue with P2W MTX, which is fair, but people need to be consistent. This is absolutely inexcusable.

I bet you people are going to ask why we bought it... we were duped, end of, we saw a better product than we got. I expected GOOD asymmetrical maps with less SBMM or none at all, Treyarch just simply makes better CoD games. Period!

People like me feel more compelled to play more defensively without a KD counter.

No, they removed it because this game was tailored for campers and new players. Why are the objective players in this thread criticizing slaying so much? It's just as productive as the guy who's capping all of the flags, and they're more productive than the guys mindlessly trying to cap flags and get killed everytime, how does that help your teammates, especially when the opponents are just going to cap it again? Sometimes slayers just play objective game modes either for XP or for easy kills because the spawns are more likely to be broken. Look at Demolition in past CoD games, it was easy to spawn trap people back in MW2 and BO1 in that game mode because the spawning algorithm was too simple.
I'm not saying it's the right mentality to have for these games, just one that a lot of competitive teams have or had back when I used to play.

Of course it shouldn't be the main focus, rather it's just another performance indicator.

It's been a while but we were top ten in a lot of games back then so toxic as shit as well. K/D was THE stat to mock.

I'm not saying it's the right mentality to have for these games, just one that a lot of competitive teams have or had back when I used to play.

Of course it shouldn't be the main focus, rather it's just another performance indicator.

It's been a while but we were top ten in a lot of games back then so toxic as shit as well. K/D was THE stat to mock.
We've all been there, but in a casual series and because of the fact that a lot of us are adults now... it really doesn't matter.

For example I don't dislike the game because I do poorly, I dislike the game because they screwed up the map design and matchmaking.

Top Bottom