• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 is 1 in the UK boxed charts, Starfield drops to No.19 Lies of P is No.3, Pikmin 1 + 2 at No.4. Payday 3 at No.7

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
But how is this possible ? Don't bethesda games usually have insane longevity ?
The month is not even over yet...

This is very alarming !!!

zMloped.gif
In b4 boxed sales dont allegedly matter

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was a big fat lie back then as well.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. There were plenty of devs saying they saw a huge increase in sales for being on game pass. Especially smaller indie devs or AA games. I personally think it all changed when they got that higher install base and more people understood the service.

Maybe when it eclipsed 10 million subs or something, and more end users started to try it?

Not sure.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Now they are not even reporting the percentage splits between the different versions. I wonder why?

I Found it on Intsallbase

Mortal Kombat 1

PS5: 79%
Xbox: 14%
Switch: 7%

Top 20 list:

-1Mortal Kombat 1
12Hogwarts Legacy
-3Lies of P
-4Pikmin 1+2
35Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
216Cyberpunk 2077
-7Payday 3
58Grand Theft Auto V
49The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
710Minecraft
211The Crew: Motorfest
1112The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition
613LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
2414Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
1015Red Dead Redemption 2
2016Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
1217Street Fighter 6
-18Final Fantasy VII & Final Fantasy VII Remastered - Twin Pack
819Starfield
1420Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Gamepass has conditioned xbox gamers to not buy games

MrTired

Fighting games usually don't sell well on Xbox. They have also been more associated as PlayStation titles. Not surprised.

The only fighting game I personally ever had on Xbox was Dead or Alive 3 and Tao Feng back in the OG Xbox days.
Tao Feng, that takes me back. Really like the game though, however the roster was tiny (6 characters).

demigod

Fighting games usually don't sell well on Xbox. They have also been more associated as PlayStation titles. Not surprised.

The only fighting game I personally ever had on Xbox was Dead or Alive 3 and Tao Feng back in the OG Xbox days.
This isn’t true, fighting games sold well on the 360. Xbox One and gamepass just fucked everything up and now folks don’t want to pay full price.

This isn’t true, fighting games sold well on the 360. Xbox One and gamepass just fucked everything up and now folks don’t want to pay full price.
Clearly you are on some sort of a crusade. I didn't mention anything about Xbox One and Gamepass. I just mentioned a simple fact that fighting games is not something Xbox is usually associated with. It has nothing to do with a a subscription service. Xbox has and always been a dude bro shooter and rpg brand at its core.

RAIDEN1

Gotta say as movies go, MK1 is a lot more entertaining than the the recent live action MK movie....hell even the last MK game before this was good as a movie as well, I'm currently 3 out of the 4 hrs in....

demigod

Clearly you are on some sort of a crusade. I didn't mention anything about Xbox One and Gamepass. I just mentioned a simple fact that fighting games is not something Xbox is usually associated with. It has nothing to do with a a subscription service. Xbox has and always been a dude bro shooter and rpg brand at its core.
Ok, now explain why it did so well on 360 compared to one and series?

I
Ok, now explain why it did so well on 360 compared to one and series?
I did not play fighting games on the 360 as much as I did on the OG Xbox. The only one I did play was Dead or Alive 4 near its launch. The rest of the fighting games I played were on the PS3 including SF4 and BlazBlue were my most played fighting games in that era.

On the 360 I played stuff like Kameo, PDZ, Condemned, Gears of War 1 to 3 , Halo 3, Halo 4, Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey, Call of Duty, Saints Row and Rainbow Six Vegas. Fighting games in that era were kind of lackluster for me. But the during PS4 and the current era they finally started to pick up again.

Xbox One did have Killer Instincts which was a phenomenal game and is now being resurrected. But that is a very rare case.

Last edited:

demigod

I

I did not play fighting games on the 360 as much as I did on the OG Xbox. The only one I did play was Dead or Alive 4 near its launch. The rest of the fighting games I played were on the PS3 including SF4 and BlazBlue were my most played fighting games in that era.

On the 360 I played stuff like Kameo, PDZ, Condemned, Gears of War 1 to 3 , Halo 3, Halo 4, Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey, Call of Duty, Saints Row and Rainbow Six Vegas. Fighting games in that era were kind of lackluster for me. But the during PS4 and the current era they finally started to pick up again.

Xbox One did have Killer Instincts which was a phenomenal game and is now being resurrected. But that is a very rare case.
You see, this is what you bought and not the rest of the world. Fighting game sales were close on both platforms during the 360 era. It dropped off a cliff ever since the xbox one.

Whats the news about killer instinct? Will buy when it hits $10 again, lol.

You see, this is what you bought and not the rest of the world. Fighting game sales were close on both platforms during the 360 era. It dropped off a cliff ever since the xbox one.

Whats the news about killer instinct? Will buy when it hits $10 again, lol.

Thief1987

Just to prove your point
Mortal Kombat 9: ??? (54% PS3 + 46% X360)
Mortal Kombat 10 : ~ 70k (61% PS4 + 39% XB1 + 1% PC)
Mortal Kombat 11 : ~ 40k (71% PS4 + 29% XB1)
Mortal Kombat 1 : ~ 25k (79% PS5 + 14% X/S + 7% Switch)

yazenov

Just to prove your point

To play the devil's advocate, if we were to include digital sales, the splits (physical + digital) would be something like this;

95% Xbox and 5% PS.

Source: trust me bro.

Pelta88

Just to prove your point

So that's what 25% market share attrition looks like.

BlueLyria

Just to prove your point
Small reminder that xbox 360 was the home for Street Fighter 4 back in the day, it was just better (reportedly, I didn't own a 360 to compare) in both connection quality and input lag, if you go check any of the old videos with Mike Ross and Gootecks, it's very high chance they were playing on 360

Top Bottom