• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks video

evil ways

Yep, looks like Mortal Kombat alright, shitty gameplay but a ton of secret goodies, characters, past references and places to go. Sign me up.

Off topic but, fuck Mortal Kombat Deception, it's shitty broken gameplay and it's cheap ass, rat soup eating, born insecure motherfucking online players.

I really don't think I could get into a serious and polished MK title. It just has to have that cheese quotient that keeps me from taking it all seriously...sorta like a fun B-movie. Shaolin Monks looks to have that needed factor and looks like good and guilty fun.

Kakusha said:
You mean like MK Annihilation cheese? :D

That's what happened to MK4, MK: Special Forces, and MK: Mythologies. There's only so much cheese that can be absorbed into each title before it sinks into the dark side; It's all about a careful balance.

Anyanka

Looks really lame. I cannot get hyped for this. It's stupid that they're retconning the entire MK/MK II story for an action game. The story is one of the only things they've got going for them now and they're quickly ruining it with all the inconsistenies and retcons. Everything is so vague everyone interprets things differently and what is established is made meaningless in the next game. Just look at Cage. First he's dead, then he's back, then he's dead, then he's back, then he never died in the first place, then he's dead and back in the same game.

Anyanka

Yeah, and that's really stupid. The main draw to the game is that it's a fight to the death but no one ever dies. Street fighter has seen more deaths that stick .

There are no consequences in the story. Nothing matters because no matter how earth shattering an event is, it's going to be retconned or taken back in the next game. There is no reason to care about what happens.

Kahn and Liu Kang, the biggest hero and villain, die at the same time. What should be one of the most important events is a complete joke. No one wonders how the good guys will get by without Liu or who will take power in Outworld...everyone just wants to know when they'll be back. Horrible writing.

MK's reputation for having a good story is more because other fighting games are worse than MK's actually being good.

CO_Andy

Anyanka said:
The story is one of the only things they've got going for them now and they're quickly ruining it with all the inconsistenies and retcons.
I agree with you for once.

In MK: Deception for cube, Shao Khan's profile says he left for some r&r after beaten in 2. In 3, the kombatants apparently fought a clone of the Outworld leader!

Anyanka

No, Kahn was the real Kahn in MK3. The clone was after MK3, when he was weakened. The clone was killed by Chi & Tsung, in MKDA's intro.

We really don't know what happened to Kahn in MK II. The climax of MK II is something they've always been EXTREMELY vague about. Many fans actually think Kahn never even fought.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I can't believe people are upset... because the STORY is being changed... that's hilarious... anyway I saw clips of this on Cinematech today... looks fun, I"m in.

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Heh. The game looks pretty cool in-game, but the models look hilariously crappy in the story cinematics.

CO_Andy

DarienA said:
I can't believe people are upset... because the STORY is being changed... that's hilarious... anyway I saw clips of this on Cinematech today... looks fun, I"m in.
MK fans may have a lot more in common with Star Wars fans... or maybe not.

The new MKs have gotten postive marks for the most part, and hey, it's keeping Midway alive. Nice to see a 3rd-party that isn't in some sort of financial trouble. I think i'll play this one for its patented MK humor.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I dunno... I played the game hardcore at E3 and at other times, and to me the game is pretty damn sweet. Granted the graphics aren't the best, but the game captures the sweet atmosphere of MK2, and the gameplay is actually fun to mess around with. I haven't seen IGN's vids, but I would suggest trying it out first. It's not gonna be for everyone, but I think anyone who liked DMC'2 melee combat would enjoy this.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
HAHAHHAHA

I was just sitting here thinking why does the damn graphical style of these characters seems so damn familiar to me.... and then it popped in to my head... Wu Tang... I loved that game... and these characters remind me of that style... sure enough I just checked... Paradox is doing this game... spiritual successor to Wu Tang! represent!

BTW the fatality I saw Liu Kang do (is it the same video being shown online) on Cinematech was cool.. he charges up his first rolls forward and punches the head off... then as the head arcs in to the air he does a slow motion flip kick that powers the head in to the body where they both explode... coooool.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
TTP said:
:lol @ how the demo ends.

Thanks for the vid Blimblim. BTW, what's the actual frame rate? 60 or 30? It's difficult to understand that by the video. Unless the game really runs at like 20fps.
I'm pretty sure it's 60 fps, but there are some slowdowns.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
DarienA said:
HAHAHHAHA

I was just sitting here thinking why does the damn graphical style of these characters seems so damn familiar to me.... and then it popped in to my head... Wu Tang... I loved that game... and these characters remind me of that style... sure enough I just checked... Paradox is doing this game... spiritual successor to Wu Tang! represent!

BTW the fatality I saw Liu Kang do (is it the same video being shown online) on Cinematech was cool.. he charges up his first rolls forward and punches the head off... then as the head arcs in to the air he does a slow motion flip kick that powers the head in to the body where they both explode... coooool.

Man, if you think that Fatality is cool... you should see Kung Lao's fatality... or better yet, the "bunny" fatality. ;D

You know I had no interest in this game whatsoever, but I played through the demo on the latest OXM disc, and it is actually good. The voice acting sucks, and Lui Kang's "whoah!"'s are annoying, but the combat has quite a bit of depth to it, and it's really much more fun than I ever expected it to be. The graphics aren't great either, but like I said...Judging from the demo it's actually going to be decent and worth a rental at the least from what I played.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Reno said:
I dunno... I played the game hardcore at E3 and at other times, and to me the game is pretty damn sweet. Granted the graphics aren't the best, but the game captures the sweet atmosphere of MK2, and the gameplay is actually fun to mess around with. I haven't seen IGN's vids, but I would suggest trying it out first. It's not gonna be for everyone, but I think anyone who liked DMC'2 melee combat would enjoy this.

yeah, its a fun button masher it reminds me of MVC2 in a way but the combos literally fall short. Not enough variation in what you can do makes me think that this will get old kinda fast.

matlock will love the shit out of it though.

G-Fex

that's awesome that they used guys who were in the background like the glowing eye monsters and those guards tshang tseng.

Top Bottom