• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underrated developer/publisher?

Okay, we all got our chance to bitch and whine about the most overrated devloper in the other thread, here's your chance to cheer for the home team. Who do you think is the most underrated developer or publisher? Who do you think helped shaped the gaming industry as we know it today, or will have the most impact into shaping it in the future but is not getting the respect or accolades the usual suspects typically get?

I'm gonna go with NCSoft, your turn...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
tri-Ace, Falcom or Treasure (the last one has a major hardcore following but is pretty much neglected in the mainstream)

jarrod

Banned
I think Eighting, Camelot and Genki are very solid teams who tend to get villified for a few past mistakes (which were ususally the result of publisher interference anyway). Intelligent Systems is hugely underrated given they're like the best developer on the planet. Matrix Software needs to make another Alundra. Nihon Falcom rarely gets the respect they deserve. Sting and Flight Plan are great little teams who never get any attention. Oh, and K2 Studio because even though I rarely play their games, massiveattack rocks my world. :)

The End

Intelligent systems is hugely underrated, but as of late, they've been held back by Nintendo's reluctance to develop new IPs.

From is still paying for past mistakes, so their newer effors (say, Otogi 2) have been overlooked somewhat.

Up until the release of Burnout 3, i'd say Criterion was seriously underrated. Now, they're the bee's knees.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Nautilus (Shadow Hearts)
Atlus - not everything they bring is worthwhile, but I greatly appreciate their efforts.
Zipper Interactive (socom) - they've created an online shooter experience unlike anything else, console or pc. I can't help but wish they were paired up with a better online service.
Funcom - No one cares anymore, but they might bring the next great adventure title (again).

there's tons more but....just a few thoughts.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
djtiesto said:
...Treasure (the last one has a major hardcore following but is pretty much neglected in the mainstream)
The End said:
Intelligent systems is hugely underrated, but as of late, they've been held back by Nintendo's reluctance to develop new IPs.
I have to agree with both of these. Sure there's a lot of people who know how great both Treasure's and IS's games are but they still get ignored by at least 90% of the gaming public.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Nintendo.

They're incredibly huge. This year alone they pumped out quality titles such as Kirby Canvas Curse, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Electroplankton on the DS. And much more to come this year... that's pretty incredible.

There is no equal.

So instead of whining about gaming companies, we'll praise gaming companies we love this time around?

Bungie
Team Ninja
Bioware
Visual Concepts
MGS
id Software
Epic
Rare
Mistwalker
Nintendo
Tecmo
Konami
Namco
Capcom
Rockstar

Geek

Ninny Prancer
6.8 said:
So instead of whining about gaming companies, we'll praise gaming companies we love this time around?

Bungie
Team Ninja
Bioware
Visual Concepts
MGS
id Software
Epic
Rare
Mistwalker
Nintendo
Tecmo
Konami
Namco
Capcom
Rockstar

At what point were any of these devs/pubs UNDERrated?

And...Mistwalker hasn't published a game yet, right?

I just took 2 lists from the overrated lists and merged them together. Same shit different pile. The only difference are the questions asked: "What makes them UNDERRATED?!" instead of "WHAT MAKES THEM OVERRATED!?", but the bitching and whining is the same.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
6.8 said:
I just took 2 lists from the overrated lists and merged them together. Same shit different pile. The only difference are the questions asked: "What makes them UNDERRATED?!" instead of "WHAT MAKES THEM OVERRATED!?", but the bitching and whining is the same.

Ah, I see. Some people posted actual underrated or little known dev teams with reasons why they thought they deserved better praise or more attention. That was pretty cool when they did that.

So... BITCH WHINE BITCH WHINE.

I'm questionning the pertinence of those threads, because in the end, they will be exactly the same thing.

Well, I'd say my preferred publisher this year: Majesco (who would have thought this a year ago? :D)

As for developers I have to say GLYPHX (I'm loving Advent Rising!) and Confounding Factor (R.I.P.) for my GOTY 2004. Thank you Toby!

jarrod

Banned
6.8 said:
I'm questionning the pertinence of those threads, because in the end, they will be exactly the same thing.
Negative criticism tends to encourage more negative criticism. Hopefully this thread fares a bit better by focusing on more positive aspects... though no doubt someone will coming along to pick at someone else's suggestions. It is GAF after all.

jarrod

Banned
6.8 said:
Which is pretty much my point. :D
Well, I'll try to get the ball rolling in the other direction then. ;)

From Software and Atlus are both great suggestions. From still gets underplayed for their basic looking 1st person dungeon hacks, but they've really come into their own on Xbox. I think they'll be one of Xbox 360's biggest assets, especially in Japan.

Atlus is great too, with really high production values and polish on their software for such a small company. Even the Takara merger didn't hurt the quailty of their output really. Plus their US branch is easily the best niche publisher around, putting groups like Natsume, Agetec and especially Working Designs to shame.

jarrod said:
Is ArtDink even around anymore? Will we get A-Train 8 for PS3 launch?

I have no idea, but I don't think Iida is a part of the team anymore since he made Doshin for Nintendo.
Now that a quirky game like Katamari is taking the US by storm, maybe he will re-emerge with a PS3 Tail of the Sun 2 (with pack in shrooms for those Amsterdam gamers :D)

Hell, I'm still surprised games like Tail and Aquanaut's even made it to the US. Sadly Doshin did not, making it the second game I've ever had to import.

VALIS

912.thm

Further helping their case is they are headquartered right up the road from me in Edison, NJ.

jarrod

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
Hell, I'm still surprised games like Tail and Aquanaut's even made it to the US.
*sniff*

Remember the days when SCEA was a daring, progressive publisher? When they weren't just "Nintendo 2"? :(

typhonsentra said:

:lol wtf?

jarrod-
to be fair, we have gotten unconventional games for the PS2 (albeit not always GREAT :p) like Mister Mosquito, Damage Report, Katamari, ICO when a lot of people thought we wouldn't.
But I pretty much agree with you. PSX had a lot of games like that, it seems, early in it's lifespan. Makes me wish Microprose would have brought X-Com Terror of the Deep to the PSX after UFO Defense came out @ launch.

jarrod

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
jarrod-
to be fair, we have gotten unconventional games for the PS2 (albeit not always GREAT :p) like Mister Mosquito, Damage Report, Katamari, ICO when a lot of people thought we wouldn't.
Sure, but barely anything from SCEA themselves, they're too busy with cookie cutter tactical shooters, annual platformer retreads and bargin bin sports games to bother. Ico isn't exactly that off the wall either imo, especially compared to something like Carnage Heart, Parappa or Tail of the Sun. Hell, SCEA even brought over SNK fighters last generation... now they won't even let SNK do it themselves.

TheJollyCorner said:
But I pretty much agree with you. PSX had a lot of games like that, it seems, early in it's lifespan. Makes me wish Microprose would have brought X-Com Terror of the Deep to the PSX after UFO Defense came out @ launch.
Sad, but at least we're getting RebelStar on GBA now. :)

sangreal-
you should have added more, because, you know, it's hilarious to intentionally put popular, arguably overrated developers/publishers in a 'underrated' thread, right?

good work.

sangreal

TheJollyCorner said:
sangreal-
you should have added more, because, you know, it's hilarious to intentionally put popular, arguably overrated developers/publishers in a 'underrated' thread, right?

good work.

Everywhere I look around here people are bashing EA or calling Rockstar a one hit wonder.

Top Bottom